Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
China launches coronavirus 'close contact' app

China has launched an app that allows people to check whether they have been at risk of catching the coronavirus.

The 'close contact detector' tells users if they have been near a person who has been confirmed or suspected of having the virus.

People identified as being at risk are advised to stay at home and inform local health authorities.

Some wonky stuff coming out of WHO and China right now:

BNO Newsroom (@BNODesk) on Twitter

“So if asymptomatic cases become positive, through laboratory testing, then they include them into the confirmed cases number”

How exactly does an asymptomatic case become positive? What on earth does that mean? An asymptomatic case is an asymptomatic case- it’s already positive is it not?

Let me re-phrase......if they do, it will not be public. The Chinese do not respond well to embarrassment....and for the most part do whatever they want to.....

In a perfect transparent world, I'm thinking that perhaps the WHO is considering discussing a new classification. To differentiate those that will need health care in one grouping, and then folks that are positive but don't need health care for projections. That seems logical to me to start tracking for planning worldwide as to resources as WHO said they are focused on such now. e.g. They need to plan how many are asymptomatic for planning and also how/what percentage will end up in hospital. Indeed, logically, that is a step that need after containment for projections in spreading and resources to plan. MOO

So.. consider that they (China) jumped the gun on doing such, found out that info/numbers without explaining the reasoning.

I don't know either if this is the case....but at this moment after consideration...it makes perfect sense as WHO is planning. How many beds needed for illness, how many infected but asymptomatic...

yet it all got out before this was planned and relayed and being discussed today and our Johns's Hopkins etc. and MSM haven't caught up?

Glass half full here for scientists on my viewpoint... MOOOOOOO

Last edited:
WHO daily briefing starts in 7 minutes (if on time, as their 2 day meeting started today).

It appears that mainstream news organizations as of today are carrying it in US and Canada live.

Hopefully media will ask (100% chance lol) about yesterday notice by some MSM that China will no longer include asymptomatic folks in their counts. It's already fishy as if you look at the BNO site we are following here on thread... yesterday was very lacking to usual reporting. Dunno....

Ty, the WHO pressers are long but so informative and provide original source wrt epidemic vs infodemic

Contain
Confine
And Hammer It.

The change in definition of disease will surely aid wrt to tracing contacts
and locations.

I'm assuming this means that if a person who is asymptomatic (showing no signs of illness), test positive for the virus, they include this person in the confirmed cases even though they are currently showing no symptoms. For example. They test a group of people, all of which are showing no symptoms but may have been exposed to the virus through contact with an infected person. If any of them test positive, these people will be included in the number of "confirmed" cases.
But are they testing them if they have no symptoms ??? and dosen't that just bring us back to you have to test everyone?

American Airlines extends China cancelations until late April

The carrier said it now plans to resume its flights to mainland China from Los Angeles and Dallas/Fort Worth in April 25, almost a month later than it previously targeted.

Dallas/Fort Worth-to-Hong Kong will resume on April 24, and a day later from Los Angeles.

The move follows a similar adjustment by partner carrier British Airways.

Coronavirus live updates: CDC says lab mix-up led to mistaken discharge of infected patient, Facebook pulls out of MWC

Interesting that many airlines are moving to such. As the WHO presser said explicitly today, they are working with maritime, airlines, and financial institutions daily on this (they specifically stated World Bank conversations in the presser today). The LAST thing they want to happen is a financial collapse worldwide... so they are in their ears daily MOO

I think the scientists are hoping that it follows many other known coronaviruses, that trail off in warmer temps like flu and colds. To give agencies time during the "off season" to see if it does follow such (I think they have told world leaders experts who push that upchain... MOO)

https://www.watoday.com.au/national...e-amid-coronavirus-fears-20200210-p53zac.html

A luxury around-the-world cruise scheduled to dock in Singapore next week has been diverted to Western Australia amid coronavirus fears.

Currently docked in Phuket, Thailand, the Queen Mary 2 will sail directly from South East Asia to Fremantle, docking in the Port City on February 18.

Initially scheduled to dock in Singapore, Saigon, Nha Trang and Hong Kong, the vessel will now travel from Malaysia to Fremantle before setting sail on an Australian itinerary.

Passengers who have been in close contact with anyone suspected of having coronavirus will be banned from boarding the ship, along with anyone who has travelled from or through mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau in the last 14 days.

Cunard has also cancelled the Queen Elizabeth's journeys to Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Add me to the "Worry Wort" group. Been that way my whole life and cant help it. That is what a lot of people dont understand about us that seem to over worry about these sorts of things. Some of us naturally have high anxiety and worries about everything in life and so when something like this happens, it sends our normal worries through the roof.

Many people just dont understand we cannot stop how we are. Been that way my whole life and if it hasnt changed by now then it definitely will not change any time soon.

Ya, I totally get that, anxiety element.
As my friend is a worry wort nail biter.
I can just look at her fingers to see what's up.

Only thing you can do is to limit media exposure.

Read an article on how to talk to children about the virus,
Empowering to tell them that proper handwashing and hygene
will help everyone stay healthy.

Ya, I totally
Well, my concern is that we really don't know what's up with this virus. How can a person walking through a shopping center, not touching anyone, pass the virus? Or through sanitation pipes? Something else is up.....IMO
And probably why there is a large group of people in China right now.

Well good luck to people on board the Princess as I can not see them being allowed off anytime soon.

It would be totally Suicidal to let them off when new cases are constantly being found on board.

It totally sucks for them and must be absolutely horrendous being stuck on there but they can not be allowed off when they can be harboring this illness.

IMO
MOO

I am not particularly fond of cruises, that being said, this really puts going on a cruise ship in a whole different category of why not to ever go on a cruise vacation.

I bet that the cruise industry may get some backlash in terms of future sales. Maybe not, but I wouldn't want to go on a cruise.

Ya, I totally get that, anxiety element.
As my friend is a worry wort nail biter.
I can just look at her fingers to see what's up.

Only thing you can do is to limit media exposure.

And don’t watch Pandemic, or whatever it’s called!

Respectfully, I disagree. They will indeed have to address China and their redefinition, and such may come out of their two day talks.

The daily update from the Dr. below that is very very neutral as to politics and is well known for daily explanations.... Posted in last 30 minutes. I believe the 15th update. Excellent to follow MOO. If you have 6 hours.. binge watch all to learn so much. I now know if someone is on a vent.. questions in my RL applicable to ask the doctors if they adhere to if family member has ARDS. (acute respiratory syndrome.. )

NB: In the next week will see if deaths layer out, in China.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national...e-amid-coronavirus-fears-20200210-p53zac.html

A luxury around-the-world cruise scheduled to dock in Singapore next week has been diverted to Western Australia amid coronavirus fears.

Currently docked in Phuket, Thailand, the Queen Mary 2 will sail directly from South East Asia to Fremantle, docking in the Port City on February 18.

Initially scheduled to dock in Singapore, Saigon, Nha Trang and Hong Kong, the vessel will now travel from Malaysia to Fremantle before setting sail on an Australian itinerary.

Passengers who have been in close contact with anyone suspected of having coronavirus will be banned from boarding the ship, along with anyone who has travelled from or through mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau in the last 14 days.

Cunard has also cancelled the Queen Elizabeth's journeys to Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Hmm, yet how do they know if a potential passenger has been in close contact? Is the WHO distributing a "no fly list" like with terrorists? The WHO specifically stated similarities with terrorist today in the meeting and how this was worse. Is that laying ground work for such? I'm not an alarmist... just wondering if such might be created iykwim.

I am not particularly fond of cruises, that being said, this really puts going on a cruise ship in a whole different category of why not to ever go on a cruise vacation.

I bet that the cruise industry may get some backlash in terms of future sales. Maybe not, but I wouldn't want to go on a cruise.

It’s funny you say that as I had a group of friends who were going on a cruise in late March and I said today jokingly “ good luck with that” and they had already spoken to friends in America who had booked it and they now they are going on a Mediterranean holiday instead. They said they would rather lose money than spend 8 days constantly worrying about germs.

Last edited:
But are they testing them if they have no symptoms ??? and dosen't that just bring us back to you have to test everyone?
Well, if it will be that there are asymptomatic carriers of the CoViD-19, and if some of those would be super-spreaders, then perhaps everyone would have to be tested.
Mary Mallon was an asymptomatic carrier for typhoid fever, Mary Mallon - Wikipedia
And there are those who for some reason spreads infections easier than others: What are super-spreaders and how are they transmitting coronavirus?
Well, my concern is that we really don't know what's up with this virus. How can a person walking through a shopping center, not touching anyone, pass the virus? Or through sanitation pipes? Something else is up.....IMO
And probably why there is a large group of people in China right now.
As the CoViD-19 is an airborne virus, Airborne disease - Wikipedia , even if an infected person doesn't touch anyone, they may sneeze or cough, and that can be enough to pass on the virus.

Well, if it will be that there are asymptomatic carriers of the CoViD-19, and if some of those would be super-spreaders, then perhaps everyone would have to be tested.
Mary Mallon was an asymptomatic carrier for typhoid fever, Mary Mallon - Wikipedia
And there are those who for some reason spreads infections easier than others: What are super-spreaders and how are they transmitting coronavirus?

As the CoViD-19 is an airborne virus, Airborne disease - Wikipedia , even if an infected person doesn't touch anyone, they may sneeze or cough, and that can be enough to pass on the virus.

So I suppose the WHO comment today that if asymptomatic people BECOME symptomatic they will be included, merely means that if someone tests positive for CV they will be part of the confirmed cases. Which is apparently not what the Chinese govt said yesterday.

So we’re just back to “if someone tests positive they will be included in the case count”. Which is Captain Obvious to me. Pretty simple for WHO to have said.

So the WHO is just talking word salad today. IMO. I really don’t like feeling like the WHO is not being transparent or somehow doing damage control for China.

(trying not to be alarmist, trying not to be alarmist....)

China launches coronavirus 'close contact' app

China has launched an app that allows people to check whether they have been at risk of catching the coronavirus.

The 'close contact detector' tells users if they have been near a person who has been confirmed or suspected of having the virus.

People identified as being at risk are advised to stay at home and inform local health authorities.

I just want to do a shout out to JersyGirl for contributions as a moderator to this thread, and already changing the name of the thread! You go girl. Great links that you do for us all to give us a well rounded viewpoint.

On another note, I think that a lot of effort is going to be spent on low cost preventions of drugs that are readily available for third world (vs. REALLY expensive chit that is used for HIV that would break the bank for health care folks and countries). As said in WHO presser today, if this hits third world and gets away from us... it will be chaos.

Will be interesting if they can find very low cost drugs that are being used for other diseases which don't allow attachment to membranes of any surfaces (e.g. eyes, respiratory, gi tract) and the flip over for this disease as first looks must do studies on such. MOO. Doxycycline in conjunction with Quinine based drugs are really cheap for RCE for example.

Also, something that I haven't seen hit the news is that after folks recover, their linings of their bronchi and aveoli are pretty much decimated. They have "sloughed" off all their protection and are therefore really susceptible to bacteria which now don't have a first layer of defense against. (e.g. staph in lungs). So perhaps some that check out and are A OK without virus, come back into the hospital and are negative for the virus, have been cleared... yet destruction has been done and they die from a secondary infection in their lungs because the lining has been denuded of protection due to ...CoViD19.

Would they be included in stats? I guess WHO will work on this as it's in the science and they should expect to track longer term..at least I would hope for planning MOO

God speed to all affected....

Last edited:
So I suppose the WHO comment today that if asymptomatic people BECOME symptomatic they will be included, merely means that if someone tests positive for CV they will be part of the confirmed cases. Which is apparently not what the Chinese govt said yesterday.

So we’re just back to “if someone tests positive they will be included in the case count”. Which is Captain Obvious to me. Pretty simple for WHO to have said.

So the WHO is just talking word salad today. IMO. I really don’t like feeling like the WHO is not being transparent or somehow doing damage control for China.

(trying not to be alarmist, trying not to be alarmist....)
It sure seems like they are doing China's bidding , right !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loislooking