Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that the United States is downplaying this, and even news outlets are playing the "game". People are not ready to accept the threat and reality of a pandemic.

Am I the only one who thinks that we are on the Titanic, and the band is still playing?

Whatever they're saying, I truly believe that they're doing, and going to do, whatever they can to reduce the probability of this turning out like the Titanic.

And I really don't think it 'has' to be that bad, even if there are more cases than there are now. In some ways it's not so much what it is, but how we deal with it. I think that's the message that the WHO and governments around the world are trying to get across.

Wondering minds want to know, when is the Wuhan blockade and curfew gonna end? What criteria to open it back up?

And now Shiyan shut down too? ( the Chinese city of Shiyan, was placed in total isolation by authorities.) URGENTE: Casos de coronavírus registram salto alarmante em um dia

Per google, Shiyan (Chinese: 十堰; pinyin: Shíyàn) is a prefecture-level city in northwestern Hubei province, ... The main urban area of the prefecture-level city of Shiyan is in Maojian District- looks Northeast of Wuhan, drive time/distance per google is 5 h 7 min (441.1 km)

Shiyan.JPG

Last edited:
North Korea extends coronavirus quarantine period to four weeks

From CNN’s Yoonjung Seo in Seoul

North Korea has extended its coronavirus quarantine period from 15 days to 30 days, according to reports in state-run news service KCNA.

“Anxiety and concern of the international community about the novel coronavirus infection rapidly spreading worldwide are growing stronger with each passing day,” KCNA said.
From the beginning, North Korea “has taken positive measures against the inroads of the epidemic that seriously affects people,” the KCNA report added.

No cases in North Korea yet: Every country and territory within a 1,500-mile radius of North Korea, except for sparsely populated Mongolia, has confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus.

There have been no cases reported in North Korea, and it's unclear how the country has been able to avoid the virus. Pyongyang has either been very lucky, isn't saying something, or is reaping one of the few benefits of being a so-called "hermit nation."

I love this story!

A Chinese marathon runner under lockdown during the coronavirus outbreak has kept his spirits up by running 31 miles (50km) around his living room.

<snip>

The amateur marathon runner said he “could not bear sitting down any more”, as he and many other people across China have been confined to their homes for weeks.

<snip>
“I have not been outside for many days, today I cannot bear sitting down any more!” he posted last week. “One lap [around his living room] is about 8m – I ran 50km, did it in 4:48:44, sweated all over, feels great!”

Coronavirus: Chinese man under lockdown runs 31 miles in his living room

North Korea extends coronavirus quarantine period to four weeks

From CNN’s Yoonjung Seo in Seoul

North Korea has extended its coronavirus quarantine period from 15 days to 30 days, according to reports in state-run news service KCNA.

“Anxiety and concern of the international community about the novel coronavirus infection rapidly spreading worldwide are growing stronger with each passing day,” KCNA said.
From the beginning, North Korea “has taken positive measures against the inroads of the epidemic that seriously affects people,” the KCNA report added.

No cases in North Korea yet: Every country and territory within a 1,500-mile radius of North Korea, except for sparsely populated Mongolia, has confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus.

There have been no cases reported in North Korea, and it's unclear how the country has been able to avoid the virus. Pyongyang has either been very lucky, isn't saying something, or is reaping one of the few benefits of being a so-called "hermit nation."

Right. Because, of course, North Korea always tells the truth. They make China look like the pillar of truthfulness, honesty, and transparency.

I believe that the United States is downplaying this, and even news outlets are playing the "game". People are not ready to accept the threat and reality of a pandemic.

Am I the only one who thinks that we are on the Titanic, and the band is still playing?

Why on earth would the American media downplay this? It makes no sense. If anything they like to hype things up. It's totally illogical.

Coronavirus live updates: 44 more cruise ship cases - CNN

44 new coronavirus cases confirmed on Diamond Princess cruise ship
By Helen Regan and Adam Renton, CNN

Updated 11:13 p.m. ET, February 12, 2020

"Another 44 people have tested positive for the novel coronavirus aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked in Yokohama, Japanese health minister Katsunobu Kato said on Thursday.

This bring the total number of cases on the ship to 219, including one Japanese quarantine officer -- the largest outbreak of the virus outside of mainland China.

The health minister also said that people who have tested negative for the virus and are over 80 years old, or have a non-virus medical condition requiring attention, will be allowed to leave the ship and move to a government medical facility, if they wish. He did not give a timeline for that process.

An unknown number of passengers with non-virus medical conditions were allowed to disembark earlier on Tuesday."

This begs a question of those that were contacts that have to start over the 14 day incubation period.... where are they going to do that additional 14 days? Is that ship gonna stay there forever? (per WHO, they have to do such https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...20200209-sitrep-20-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=6f80d1b9_4 )

Last edited:
Why on earth would the American media downplay this? It makes no sense. If anything they like to hype things up. It's totally illogical.

Well for me personally, I have been concerned that the US was not more precautious from the start. I too felt
Their is somebody down playing this somewhere and I feel like their could be many reasons to why... this seems way worse then the flu to me .

Well for me personally, I have been concerned that the US was not more precautious from the start. I too felt
Their is somebody down playing this somewhere and I feel like their could be many reasons to why... this seems way worse then the flu to me .
If we're judging by the numbers, at this point you are FAR more likely to die from influenza than COVID-19.
CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.
Burden of Influenza

Coronavirus live updates: 44 more cruise ship cases - CNN

44 new coronavirus cases confirmed on Diamond Princess cruise ship
By Helen Regan and Adam Renton, CNN

Updated 11:13 p.m. ET, February 12, 2020

"Another 44 people have tested positive for the novel coronavirus aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked in Yokohama, Japanese health minister Katsunobu Kato said on Thursday.

This bring the total number of cases on the ship to 219, including one Japanese quarantine officer -- the largest outbreak of the virus outside of mainland China.

The health minister also said that people who have tested negative for the virus and are over 80 years old, or have a non-virus medical condition requiring attention, will be allowed to leave the ship and move to a government medical facility, if they wish. He did not give a timeline for that process.

An unknown number of passengers with non-virus medical conditions were allowed to disembark earlier on Tuesday."

This begs a question of those that were contacts that have to start over the 14 day incubation period.... where are they going to do that additional 14 days? Is that ship gonna stay there forever? (per WHO, they have to do such https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...20200209-sitrep-20-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=6f80d1b9_4 )

It seems that cruise ships are not ideal for isolation/quarantine, and the people should, ideally, have been removed from the ship into smaller groups. The problem is that where do you find suitable places for them to go? How many have we evacuated into isolation facilities in the UK? Fewer than 300?

But who could have predicted all these cases back when there was just one man who left the ship in Hong Kong (how many days ago?) and tested positive?

It feels like a massive *advertiser censored*-up, but at the same time I don't think this could really have been predicted, or facilities available to do much different than they have?

I can't imagine the worry and the frustration that the people on the ship are experiencing, on top of being stuck in those little cabins!

So, just about all our manufactured products and meds come from China. What me worry???

There's one province in China where we 'know' the virus has got out of control. Cities like Beijing and Shanghai would have the facilities to do contact checking, and that's why their figures haven't taken off in the same way that Wuhan's did.

Those companies making things in China for export need the income as much as we need the products they make.

Over the next few weeks they will start reopening and keeping a close eye on their staff, and anyone who's been in contact with a known case will have to stay off work for 14 days. With the numbers of cases they have outside Hubei at the moment, it is absolutely realistic for them to be able to do that. It does rely on strong contact-tracing, but it can be done.

Reuters: “The adjustment of the data today proved without doubt that they have had two sets of numbers for confirmed #CoronaVirus infected all along... If that were not the case, the government could not have added so many new #COVID19 cases in one day."

Our countries would do the same though, if they had a lack of test kits. That would automatically necessitate a list of confirmed, not confirmed but strongly suggested, and then suspected but not such strong clinical signs, and then you have the larger group of contacts.

So it doesn't really 'prove without doubt' that they had two lists of test-confirmed cases and only one of those was made public.

To be honest, I'd even suggest a third or fourth option for Hubei....because from what we've heard they haven't really had the resources to do clinical diagnoses for every suspected/possible case in the province. So if some of these numbers are supposed to cover those people? They're estimates not from an official list at all.

I suppose the most likely explanation would be a mixture of all of those. But if it's what that quote implies, then that would mean that a lot of cases still haven't been counted.

And it's true that a lot of cases haven't been counted in Hubei (to the greatest degree) because not everyone who contracted Covid-19 went to the hospital for anyone to be really aware that they had any symptoms in order to include them properly in any official count (even one that's been kept secret).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966