Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well well well, heads are rolling..... A good defense is to rid of all those at the top ;)

China Ousts Top Official in Coronavirus Outbreak’s Epicenter
Jiang Chaoliang, Communist Party secretary of Hubei province, was replaced by a protégé of President Xi Jinping BEIJING—China replaced its top Communist Party official at the coronavirus outbreak’s epicenter with a protégé of President Xi Jinping, as part of high-level firings that demonstrate Beijing’s dissatisfaction with the handling of the deadly epidemic

China coronavirus outbreak: All the latest updates
China replaces head of its Hong Kong and Macau affairs office China is replacing the head of its office that oversees matters in Hong Kong, the human resources ministry announced in Beijing on Thursday. Xia Baolong, a 67-year-old vice chairman of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), will replace Zhang Xiaoming.

Beijing’s purge over virus response removes top Hubei Communist Party officials
The removal of the two Communist Party heads follows the dismissal of the top two health officials in Hubei province earlier this week. Beijing parachuted in a central government fixer, Wang Hesheng, to take over those duties and shake up the region’s whole response to the virus which has overwhelmed hospitals and also infected medical staff who have been left short of protective equipment.

Li Yuan @LiYuan6 (e.d. New York Times’ Asia tech columnist, Li Yuan)

The huge jump in confirmed cases in Hubei and the province's leadership change are of course related. It offers a relatively clean slate to the new officials. The infections and the deaths are the faults of their predecessors. They're here to clean up the mess.

Last edited:
Hong Kong schools to stay closed for another month
Children in Hong Kong have been told that schools in the city will remain closed until at least the middle of March. Education minister Kevin Yeung Yun-hung made the announcement on Thursday. Schools were due to open again on 2 March after a month long closure due to the lunar new year holiday and then the Covid-19 outbreak. The government might also extend work-from-home arrangements for civil servants.
Coronavirus latest updates: Hubei's leader sacked as deaths in China pass 1,300 – live news

The deadly coronavirus is likely to make a massive dent on a billion dollar part of Australia's economy, as thousands of international students from China are barred from entering the country.
International education is Australia's fourth largest export, raking in $36.7 billion in 2019. More than 200,000 overseas students come from China.
However, many of these students are currently unable to enter Australia due to a travel ban aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus, which has infected more than 60,000 people and killed 1,369 worldwide.
The impact of coronavirus on Australia's $1.2 billion sector

City in central Hubei implements wartime control measures
The Global Times is reporting that a district in central Hubei province has implemented wartime control measures for the next 14 days, including the full closure of all buildings, the first time during the virus outbreak.The order, applying to a district in the city of Shiyan, says only those who are fighting the epidemic are allowed to leave their homes , as of Thursday. All residential areas are being manned around the clock, it says.

The wartime control measures were put in place after the district reported 137 confirmed cases of infection with the COVID-19, the second highest number in the city of Shiyan, where 562 were reported as of the end of Wednesday. Local neighbourhood committees will distribute basic necessities at a fixed time and fixed prices. The committees will help residents purchase medicines if they are urgently needed. Those who force their way into or out of residential areas, courtyards, buildings and roads will be detained, it said.Public security organs will help manage the campaign. Local Party officials must unconditionally obey the leadership and instructions of the local committees and participate in epidemic prevention work.People suffering from fever or who have come into close contact with infected patients will be sent to a medical observation point in the district.Hubei reported 48,206 confirmed cases, 32,994 of whom are from Wuhan, where the virus originated. Shiyan ranks 11th in Hubei. The controls were implemented to reduce the flow of people, to force the sources of the disease to be exposed, to curb the epidemic spread and prevent a long-term war of attrition, said the announcement.The announcement said the controls are in accordance with the law on public security management, the law on prevention and treatment of infectious diseases and regulations on urgent responses to public health emergencies.
Coronavirus latest updates: Hubei's leader sacked as deaths in China pass 1,300 – live news

Well for me personally, I have been concerned that the US was not more precautious from the start. I too felt
Their is somebody down playing this somewhere and I feel like their could be many reasons to why... this seems way worse then the flu to me .

Do you think all the media outlets are hiding something? And if so, why on earth would they do that?

It really sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. The media has zero reason to downplay this. The media thrives on this stuff.

This isn’t North Korea. No one can hide thousands of people dropping dead. Even North Korea couldn’t do that.

And yeah I don’t think it’s like the flu. It hasn’t killed nearly as many people as the flu has this season.

In 1918 the flu virus killed millions upon millions of people. Quickly. Before planes existed. At this point it seems the west is handling it. It could mutate and come back in a few months much worse but so far it’s not as bad as I feared.

Tokyo 2020 Olympics will not be cancelled or postponed despite coronavirus outbreak as Japan offers reassurances to athletes and visitor

Tokyo 2020 Olympics will not be cancelled or postponed despite coronavirus outbreak | Daily Mail Online
I wonder if any of the athletes will choose not to attend. I'm not sure what I would do in this situation. I always feel so bad for the athletes in cases like this. They've worked their whole lives for this moment. I hope and pray this virus is under control by then.

Eight-month-old baby boy becomes Britain's youngest suspected coronavirus case as disease spreads to London after patient flying in from China tested positive, taking confirmed UK cases to nine

An eight-month-old boy is the youngest Briton feared to have coronavirus after being treated by one of Brighton's infected GPs, it was revealed today.

Eight-month-old baby boy becomes Britain's youngest suspected coronavirus case | Daily Mail Online

I really hope this little boy hasn’t got the virus and he fully recovers ASAP.

The ban on people travelling from China to Australia has been extended as the number of those infected with the coronavirus continues to rise.

The travel ban was due to end on Saturday, with Prime Minister Scott Morrison making the announcement of the extension after a national security meeting.

Mr Morrison said the decision has been made to extend the travel ban for another week.

“This decision was made following expert medical advise. We did not take this decision lightly,” he told reporters.
China travel ban extended over virus fears

Feb 12-13 - China’s National Health Commission reports 312 new cases and 12 new deaths on the mainland, excluding Hubei province. 14,840 new cases, including clinically diagnosed cases, and 242 new deaths in Hubei province, China. (Source)

Feb 11-12 - China’s National Health Commission reports 377 new cases and 3 new deaths across the mainland, excluding Hubei province. The deaths were in Henan province, Hunan province, and Chongqing. (Source) 1,638 new cases and 94 new deaths in Hubei province, China. (Source)

Feb 10- 11 - China’s National Health Commission reports 370 new cases and 5 new deaths on the mainland excluding Hubei province. . Of the deaths, one each in: Beijing, Tianjin, Heilongjiang province, Anhui province, and Henan province. (Source) 2,097 new cases and 103 new deaths in Hubei province, China. (Source)

Feb 9-10 - China’s National Health Commission reports 419 new cases and 6 new deaths excluding Hubei province.. Their locations have not yet been disclosed, except for the fatalities: 2 in Anhui province and 1 each in Anhui, Heilongjiang, Jiangxi, Hainan, and Gansu provinces. (Source) 2,531 new cases and 91 new deaths in Hubei province, China. (Source)

Feb 8-9 - China’s National Health Commission reports 441 new cases and 7 new deaths across the mainland excluding Hubei province. . Their locations have not yet been disclosed, except for the fatalities: 2 in Henan province, 1 in Hebei province, 1 in Heilongjiang province, 1 in Anhui province, 1 in Shandong province, and 1 in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region. (Source) 2,156 new cases and 82 new deaths in Hubei province, China. (Source)

upto2-13mainland.JPG

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk

Other details from the national update, including Hubei:
- 13,435 suspected cases (down by 2,632)
- 8,030 serious/critical (down by 174)
- 5,911 recovered (up by 1,171)

Last edited:
Aussies have been warned to be on high alert in Bali after a Chinese tourist, who travelled to the popular island, was diagnosed with coronavirus.

The Bali Health Agency confirmed it was investigating after reports of a Chinese man testing positive to the virus on February 5 after he arrived back home.
Warning for Aussies as coronavirus hits Bali

Of 102 confirmed cases in the city, at least 33 patients worked or shopped at a department store in the Baodi district, or had close contact with employees or customers, according to the Tianjin health authorities. Many of them had no history of travel to Wuhan, the city where the outbreak emerged. Officials estimated that 11,700 customers had visited the shopping complex during a period in late January. The authorities said that those customers would be quarantined, and that the store itself, which they did not identify, had been sealed and disinfected.”
Ha! Ain’t that the truth!

“Nearly a third of the confirmed coronavirus cases in Tianjin, a city of more than 15 million about 70 miles southeast of Beijing, have been linked to one department store, adding to fears about rapid transmission in tightly clustered communities.

Of 102 confirmed cases in the city, at least 33 patients worked or shopped at a department store in the Baodi district, or had close contact with employees or customers, according to the Tianjin health authorities. Many of them had no history of travel to Wuhan, the city where the outbreak emerged. Officials estimated that 11,700 customers had visited the shopping complex during a period in late January. The authorities said that those customers would be quarantined, and that the store itself, which they did not identify, had been sealed and disinfected.”

—-

“The coronavirus has jumped from ship to shore, Japan’s health ministry said Wednesday.“

:eek:

“An employee of the country’s health ministry tested positive for the illness after surveying passengers aboard a cruise ship being held under quarantine in the port of Yokohama.”

Did his protective gear not hold up??

—-

Also from the above article, (sorry if repost):

“As countries worldwide have organized flights to evacuate their citizens from Wuhan, and issued travel warnings advising against going there, the government of Pakistan has been taking an unusual tack — telling its citizens to stay.

If infected nationals return home, the virus would likely spread unabated across the country, whose health care system is in shambles. Already strained hospitals lack trained doctors and supplies. Pakistan is one of the last places in the world still battling polio, and incidents of dengue fever and H.I.V. are on the rise.

Pakistan has about 800 citizens in Wuhan.”

[...]

““Do you even a little care for us?” wrote the user, identified on Twitter only as Muhammad Ibraheem, and is studying medicine at Hubei University of Science and Technology. “Why don’t you kill all of us? It will be easy for you guys, or sell us to China. At least you will get some benefits. You left us to die here.””

—-

“A senior Chinese official warned on Tuesday that three populous provinces could be vulnerable to the spread of the coronavirus as migrant workers return to their jobs after the Lunar New Year break.

The official, He Qinghua, said that the provinces of Zhejiang, Guangdong and Henan could see a rise in new cases, even as the rate of new infections declined outside Hubei Province, the heart of the outbreak.

The remarks highlight the looming possibility that more people could become infected as they resume their normal routines.”

“Of 102 confirmed cases in the city, at least 33 patients worked or shopped at a department store in the Baodi district, or had close contact with employees or customers, according to the Tianjin health authorities. Many of them had no history of travel to Wuhan, the city where the outbreak emerged.”

^^^THIS^^^

I’ve stated a few times that, IMO - there’s an anomaly with the numbers. The anomaly isn’t with the mortality rate - I really haven’t seen enough trustworthy data to even venture a guess at the true mortality rate. I believe the mortality rate IS MUCH HIGHER IN HUBEI, and I don’t believe excluding their numbers are going to paint the real picture. The mortality rate needs to take into consideration the entire circumstance. I would expect the confirmed cases outside of China are receiving intense study and treatment with the best facilities and doctors that money can buy. But overwhelm any healthcare system to the point of collapse, and the mortality rate will sky rocket.
To me, the anomaly lies within the incubation period, and/or the R0 factor. Watching the way this virus spreads is like looking at a delayed time bomb - a Trojan horse so to speak.
I’ve seen estimates ranging from R2 to R5. The difference between those two numbers is HUGE when you consider the fact that they are multiples of the rate of transmission.
1 person infects 2, those 2 infect 2 more each, etc,...

So six generations at R2:
1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32
Six generations at R5
1, 5, 25, 125, 625, 3125

The R0 is really a variable - it will be different based on a multitude of factors. Density of population, quarantine procedures, access to healthcare and early diagnosis, etc

If we look at the figures from the excerpt above, and assuming there was only one person passing the infection at the mall - this would equate to an R33 !!!

The situation in Hubei, as well as the number of infected being reported on the cruise ship would also indicate a VERY HIGH R0 factor.

So the anomaly that I see that hasn’t made much sense thus far, is why haven’t we seen these high numbers from the return flights? Why haven’t we seen an explosion of cases around the areas where people in the US or UK have been with the general population prior to being tested and confirmed?

Those R0 numbers seem to be extremely low by comparison, at least so far.

My question is why??? I still believe we’re missing a large part of the whole picture.

We need to better understand why so many can get infected at one mall, why there’s such a rapid spread on the cruise ship, and why that apparently didn’t occur on long flights with recirculating air???

What variable is missing in this equation?

All MOO

If we're judging by the numbers, at this point you are FAR more likely to die from influenza than COVID-19.
CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.
Burden of Influenza

BBM

“If we're judging by the numbers, at this point you are FAR more likely to die from influenza than COVID-19.”

I agree, however, if judging by the numbers, if (or, IMO, when) this virus gains a global foothold, the fallout will be much more devastating than even the worst of flu seasons. I understand the desire of the medical community to try and put the virus in perspective to the flu, and to raises awareness of the impact the flu had each year, but as long as this virus remains somewhat restricted to a regional area in the world, it’s really comparing apples to oranges.
I would like to see a comparison of the numbers by percentages of the affected population.
We also have to take into consideration that the seasonal flu is well established worldwide. COVID-19 is still in its infancy.
All MOO

So, what do you think that the "real" numbers are? This doesn't seem correct to me, based on the information provided by crematorium workers.

Billionaire Whistleblower: Wuhan Coronavirus Death Toll Is Over 50,000

You bring up a good point. The "real numbers" and the "confirmed numbers" are not the same thing. I feel certain the real death toll is much higher than the Chinese "confirmed death toll".

I believe it's time for the American news media to change the "deaths" to "confirmed deaths".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966