Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quit coughing in the thread please. And if you do, please do into your elbow :rolleyes:

Just to note social change, I had folks over for dinner and one kept coughing and sneezing etc and did without hand/with hands. I did an "educational" on that at the moment without thinking as to say " do within elbow".. and every just stared at me.. I'm saying, folks aren't up on this like we are... and now I'm a rude person per my friends perhaps?

It's always bothered me, but this week, I spoke up.

• Coronavirus May Already Be Spreading in Africa
  • ''While the extremely hot weather in tropical African countries may limit the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus, Kenya’s temperate climate makes it especially vulnerable to the disease.
  • China Southern Airlines will be resuming direct flights from China into Kenya starting Feb. 25.
  • With infected Wuhan residents reported to be sneaking into the country, Kenya may already be experiencing an undetected coronavirus outbreak. These reports are unconfirmed.''

And WTH does THAT mean?????

Do I need to get an isolation tent and put it in my back yard?
Should I rush out to buy a burial plot?
Should I have a prophylactic appendectomy so I don't have to risk running to an ER crowded with dying patient's if I develop appendicitis?

I’m starting to get the feeling that the answer may be “yes” to all of the above.

I have a question for everyone here on the thread. Have you posted anything about this on your facebook as to any articles or anything? I had a dinner for 6 last week and tried to broach the subject as to a lead into a conversation... and they all dismissed. Wish I could find my notes as I actually afterwards noted the.. and all were.. "not gonna affect me, I'll worry about it when it does"

And last Wednesday (and tomorrow) I tried to broach in a group setting through our senior center activites group which I'm a member. Directly after I brought up the cruise ship stats to start a discussion, one of the folks brought out a cruise ship itenerary to discuss with her friend next to her. Egads, I shut down and apologized for bringing it up.. What to do in that situation folks, I don't know.

As to folks who say...it doesn't affect me? Well, pffft, cannot say to them look at your 401k etc if that's the least of your worries?

But really, how many of us are "out" on MSM speaking of?

Oh yeah, as to how close to me so far..

1. Neighbor couple who was in US isolation as to the virus (none in my state, they had flown back from China and discussed upthread) ,
  2. my family member who does VIPkids learning online 6 hours a day to China,
  3. and a family member whos inlaws are now in Taiwan (government/state employees, but were from western China at beginning of outbreak who had 24 -48 hours to fly out.. they went to Tawain vs. US).

With all of the above, just doesn't seem right to probe like us WSers wanna do. I don't know how in the criminal cases those close to them talk.. as I cannot even ask those closest as I feel so uncomfortable doing so. They are dealing with it, and I don't want to make worse with inquiry iykwim.

It's just a tangent for me, but I'm already so poised? But seems absolutely not one of my friends or family members are concerned as much as I, if at all.

Are we Henny Pennies?

I have family that has posted things about how it’s not something we should worry about. I’ve added links to stories that show the growth and spread. My coworkers are taking it seriously although it’s not a hard sale in hurricane country. “Just stock up early, you don’t need to go crazy.” I’ve contacted a few friends to let them know my concern. I’m generally not a Henny Penny and hope I am in this instance. I had that thought today after stocking up on non perishables. “I’m sure all this will be for not, but what if it isn’t?” I didn’t cover my a so much with swine flu, I even got swine flu. It sucked but I was quite a bit younger. This one feels different, spreading faster or maybe I’m just older.
Just found out my boss went to Disney in CA, last weekend. Pretty sure I want him to stay out of the lab for at least 3 weeks.

Quit coughing in the thread please. And if you do, please do into your elbow :rolleyes:

Just to note social change, I had folks over for dinner and one kept coughing and sneezing etc and did without hand/with hands. I did an "educational" on that at the moment without thinking as to say " do within elbow".. and every just stared at me.. I'm saying, folks aren't up on this like we are... and now I'm a rude person per my friends perhaps?

This really happened the other day:

My sales clerk at the store sneezed (but turned around while doing so).

He turned back around and I offered him a disposable hand wipe out of my bag.

He said, “No, thanks, I got it in my elbow”.

He gave me that look like, “yeah, I know what you’re talkin’ bout, Willis”.

I live in Orlando, which as most people know is a tourism hotspot. We also have Port Canaveral nearby so cruises in/out are regular occurrences. It is very common for people to take a cruise and add to their vacation by going to Disney and the other theme parks...a land/sea package, so to speak. We are Disney annual passholders and go at least once a week. Attached is a photo I took at Disney at the entrance to Hollywood Studios on Sunday morning. As a side note, that weekend was also the highly popular Princess Half-Marathon (which also includes a 5K and 10K option). Normally I'm not an overly cautious person, but this may need to change.

Attachments

• IMG_3642_small.jpg
    IMG_3642_small.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

I read somewhere that people with the virus should not cough and sneeze onto clothing/elbows, as the live virus is then on the clothing. They need to use kleenex and dispose immediately.

A week ago, I predicted that the US would have a problem by mid April. I am amending that prediction to mid March.

I would like to see the actual data on the ages of the affected, and the death ages. We are not getting the data, INMO, because it is probably pretty upsetting.

I have a question for everyone here on the thread. Have you posted anything about this on your facebook as to any articles or anything? I had a dinner for 6 last week and tried to broach the subject as to a lead into a conversation... and they all dismissed. Wish I could find my notes as I actually afterwards noted the.. and all were.. "not gonna affect me, I'll worry about it when it does"

And last Wednesday (and tomorrow) I tried to broach in a group setting through our senior center activites group which I'm a member. Directly after I brought up the cruise ship stats to start a discussion, one of the folks brought out a cruise ship itenerary to discuss with her friend next to her. Egads, I shut down and apologized for bringing it up.. What to do in that situation folks, I don't know.

As to folks who say...it doesn't affect me? Well, pffft, cannot say to them look at your 401k etc if that's the least of your worries?

But really, how many of us are "out" on MSM speaking of?

Oh yeah, as to how close to me so far..

1. Neighbor couple who was in US isolation as to the virus (none in my state, they had flown back from China and discussed upthread) ,
  2. my family member who does VIPkids learning online 6 hours a day to China,
  3. and a family member whos inlaws are now in Taiwan (government/state employees, but were from western China at beginning of outbreak who had 24 -48 hours to fly out.. they went to Tawain vs. US).

With all of the above, just doesn't seem right to probe like us WSers wanna do. I don't know how in the criminal cases those close to them talk.. as I cannot even ask those closest as I feel so uncomfortable doing so. They are dealing with it, and I don't want to make worse with inquiry iykwim.

It's just a tangent for me, but I'm already so poised? But seems absolutely not one of my friends or family members are concerned as much as I, if at all.

Are we Henny Pennies?

Ive had the same experience with others. I think most people are brushing aside the small news bites they are hearing about it. They haven't studied it like we have here, and boy have we studied it. So we learned a lot more about how contagious it is and also we picked up some scary stories that has happened in like China where they barred peoples doors shut, fogging and fumigating the streets, etc.

So getting reasonably prepared if things get worse where one lives is a valid reaction when one learns what we have learned. The people that have not followed this closely or educated themselves about it dont really know what there is to be concerned about.

I only became interested because my younger daughter just returned from a backpacking trip to Taiwan (with a stopover in Shanghai), Philippines, Australia and Singapore . She returned to the USA on January 14th. And I keep thinking how I tried to push her to do a 3 day layover in Beijing on her way back to JFK since she never visited China. I remember saying, "China will give you 3 days visa free - go see China!!!" Last year she visited Thailand and Vietnam. Before she graduated from college, she contemplated teaching English in China because "it pays good money". Ugh. A co-worker just sent her daughter to teach English in South Korea, daughter doesn't want to leave and mom is begging her to fly home. Double ugh.

My oldest daughter has a tripped planned for southern Italy in June. We shall see where that takes her.
Mayflower, Arkansas and the Arkansas River are real nice in the late Spring and early Summer. Good fishing everywhere too........moo

Ive had the same experience with others. I think most people are brushing aside the small news bites they are hearing about it. They haven't studied it like we have here, and boy have we studied it. So we learned a lot more about how contagious it is and also we picked up some scary stories that has happened in like China where they barred peoples doors shut, fogging and fumigating the streets, etc.

So getting reasonably prepared if things get worse where one lives is a valid reaction when one learns what we have learned. The people that have not followed this closely or educated themselves about it dont really know what there is to be concerned about.
Today is the first day I've seen anyone posting on my FB newsfeed about it. Anyone I've mentioned it to prior to today has given me that "You're a whackadoodle" look. That's fine, I'm a whackadoodle. Makes it easier for me to do my shopping. LOL

U.S. CDC: "We're asking folks in every sector, as well as people within their families, to start planning for this, because as we've seen from the recent countries that have had community spread, when it hit in those countries, it has moved quite rapidly"

U.S. CDC: "We can have community spread in the United States and have it be reasonably mild, we can have community spread in the U.S. and have it be very severe. So that's what we don't completely know yet."

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Have a bad feeling about this one guys.... something tells me it’s already been identified somewhere here in the US and they’re just waiting for test confirmations. Just my opinion here, but I’m kind of expecting the US to have its first quarantine within a few days.

Coronavirus: Europe on alert as four more deaths reported in Italy – updates
''About 1,000 holidaymakers at the H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel in south Tenerife have been ordered to remain in their rooms and will be tested for the coronavirus this evening, according to a guest.

Police officers have been pictured surrounding the building and guests were not served lunch, while hotel employees who arrived for work were made to wait outside and not let in, after health authorities in the Canary Islands ordered the hotel to be locked down on Monday after an Italian couple tested positive for the virus.

Rosie Mitford, an 18-year-old nursing student on holiday with her father and brother, said she was “a bit fed up”.

We’ve been in our rooms for about five hours now and had no food. We’re all a bit fed up and tired about this now, but we feel fine, physically, so that’s good.

We’ve just been updated they’re going to test us once tonight and once tomorrow morning, apparently they are temperature tests.

This morning, there was a breakfast buffet at 8am with fruit and yoghurt, and guests were told lunch would be brought to their rooms, but by 5.30pm at least some people were still waiting.

This was most likely down to staff shortages, according to Mitford, who made a picnic out of vending machine food with her brother.

Staff have not been allowed in for the whole day. They have been sat on the streets getting pretty angry as they had been in the sun for about six hours.

Staff inside wearing big proper masks, that we haven’t been given. They’ve been very helpful, they’re just trying to deal with it.
640.jpg

A medical tent erected outside the hotel, with a man who appears to be a doctor wearing a protective suit. Photograph: Handout''

Have a bad feeling about this one guys.... something tells me it’s already been identified somewhere here in the US and they’re just waiting for test confirmations. Just my opinion here, but I’m kind of expecting the US to have its first quarantine within a few days.

Yeah that CDC advisory sounds like a “we’re about to quarantine your arse” message. :D

ETA: “And we have every right to do it so be prepared”

Moooo

Sorry, I haven’t eaten and am a little giddy, I certainly need to rewind and listen later with a clearer set of ears.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members