Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, posting again x3 the presser transcript from yesterday below PDF in Beijing before they flew out (just finished another one back home with the head of the WHO team who went to China debriefing, as this thread moves so fast. Many folks are at work and cannot view thread until they get home, so no problem posting again and again for folks. Multiple posts on same thing MOO are appreciated by many.

Here is transcript in PDF of yesterdays presser with the team that went to China and their first presser before today when they were in Beijing (no video I have found), 26page PDF.

Hey @dixiegirl1035 , can I pull your leg since earlier you reposted the China briefing 3x?

I only posted the CDC update 3x already ahaha

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19-update.mp3

LOL !..........moo

(Yeah Cody you missed it. I ate half the ice cream supply in one night and got sick yesterday.)

Last edited:
IMO, this virus can be serious for older patients but so far everyone else has been recovering just fine. A simple cold can be dangerous for someone who has other issues. It really depends on someone's health history

Yes.

Some of us older folks at WS >60 that have a risk which leads to a comorbidity which has been stated - we appreciate posts that recognize that WE might be more concerned than others here on the threads, and are empathetic to our angst and what may seem to others as not to their thinking.

WE can get emotional, and have no one in RL to express to such our angst, and appreciate the welcoming community here not to shame US for our angst in this situation.

Thank you to those that don't dismiss our high concerns which some here may not share.

We are elderly
We have no one 'cept here to discuss
We have risk factors that have been shown to high risk for comorbitities and here to learn and share.

Yes. Yet for some of us older folks >60 that have a comorbidity which has been stated - we appreciate posts that recognize that WE might be more concerned than others here on the threads, and are empathetic to our angst and what may seem to others as not to their thinking.

WE can get emotional, and have no one in RL to express to such our angst, and appreciate the welcoming community here not to shame US for our angst in this situation.

Thank you to those that don't dismiss our high concerns which some here may not share.

We are elderly
We have no one 'cept here to discuss
We have comorbities that are high risk and here to learn and share.
Well spoken.....We care.....Catch a smile......:)....... moo

Just me, but I would stop Disney visits for about a month.

I live in Orlando, which as most people know is a tourism hotspot. We also have Port Canaveral nearby so cruises in/out are regular occurrences. It is very common for people to take a cruise and add to their vacation by going to Disney and the other theme parks...a land/sea package, so to speak. We are Disney annual passholders and go at least once a week. Attached is a photo I took at Disney at the entrance to Hollywood Studios on Sunday morning. As a side note, that weekend was also the highly popular Princess Half-Marathon (which also includes a 5K and 10K option). Normally I'm not an overly cautious person, but this may need to change.

While the US Food and Drug is not aware of any shortages of medical products being reported in the United States, it is monitoring some that could be at risk, FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn told reporters Tuesday.

"FDA is keenly aware that the outbreak will likely affect the medical product supply chain, including potential disruptions to suppliers [and] shortages of critical medical products in the US," Hahn said.
In particular, the FDA is keeping its eye on personal protective equipment such as face masks and gowns used by health care workers. The agency is proactively reaching out to hundreds of manufacturers of medical products for information related to these concerns, Hahn said.

More on this: US Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said some of the $2.5 billion requested funds would be used to purchase personal protection equipment for the national stockpile. On Tuesday morning, Azar told a Senate Appropriations subcommittee there are 30 million N95 respirators in the Strategic National Stockpile, and the US would need about 10 times that for health care workers.

Coronavirus fears spread across globe

Public health labs ask to create their own tests for coronavirus
From CNN’s Nadia Kounang
With only 12 state and local health laboratories able to test for the novel coronavirus, public health labs are asking the US Food and Drug Administration for permission to create their own tests for the virus.

“We are now many weeks into the response with still no diagnostic or surveillance test available outside of CDC for the vast majority of our member laboratories,” the Association of Public Health Laboratories wrote in a letter to FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn on Monday.
The association represents the 150 largest public health labs across the country and is asking the FDA for a special exemption to create its own diagnostics.

“We find ourselves in a situation that requires a quicker local response,” the association wrote.

While the CDC currently has no backlog or delay in testing, the lab association’s CEO, Scott Becker, told CNN that its concern is not about the current situation, but for when community spread of the virus increases.

“We want to encourage and ensure that we have the test closest to the population,” Becker said.

The CDC announced on Feb. 6 that 200 test kits would be distributed to labs across the United States. The kits needed to be verified by the local health laboratories to ensure they were working. Less than a week later, Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said some labs that had received the tests were getting inconclusive results, and components of the tests would need to be remade.

The CDC has been working to resolve the testing kit issue but has yet to provide a timeline about when labs will receive new tests.

Coronavirus fears spread across globe

There is a live presser going on right now in San Francisco regarding the declaration of emergency- I was able to listen to a bit of it, but then got bumped out because I needed a subscription.

Anyway, the little bit I caught said they would be focusing on children- because they don’t comply with transmission precautions as well- and on “congregate living situations”. People who share bathrooms and kitchens.

And then I got booted. Maybe there will be a recap somewhere.

California has over 160,000. On the street homeless. Most are mentally ill or drug addicted. They do not have bathrooms. If this gets to them, it will be a major problem.

Somebody has a clue.....

San Francisco declares state of emergency to help prepare for an outbreak of coronavirus; there are currently no confirmed cases in the city - SF Chronicle

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Hey @dixiegirl1035 , can I pull your leg since earlier you reposted the China briefing 3x?

I only posted the CDC update 3x already ahaha

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19-update.mp3

(Yeah Cody you missed it. I ate half the ice cream supply in one night and got sick yesterday.)

Ha, missed most posts and cannot catch up as I am now finished redoing my pantry from my P grocery COVID-19 trip, and was this am taken over to rearrange all bath cabinets and meds, and check dates on all to ensure in order while listening to just one of many audio feeds.

You wouldn't believe the outdated stuff I had.. and the last time I've ever cleaned out and arranged all my bathrooms' stash under the counter and what was in the medicine cabinets. We aren't talking week, or month, or years.... apparently it has been decades :eek::eek::eek: since I cleaned out that stuff.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

CDC is aggressively responding to the global outbreak of COVID-19 and preparing for the potential of community spread in the United States.

Preparing first responders, healthcare providers, and health systems
  • Establishing visibility across healthcare systems to understand healthcare use, particularly surges in demand for medical care and associated resources.
  • Conducting extensive outreach to clinical and hospital professional organizations to ensure health system preparedness.
  • Producing more than 23 guidance documents on infection control, hospital preparedness assessments, personal protective equipment (PPE) supply planning, and clinical evaluation and management (as of February 22, 2020).
    • Working closely with healthcare facilities and providers to reinforce infection control principles that recognize PPE is one component of a larger set of practices that help to limit the spread of disease.
    • Developing a range of respirator conservation strategies, including strategies to make supplies last longer (such as using alternative products like reusable respirators) and extending the use of disposable respirators.
  • Leveraging existing telehealth tools to direct people to the right level of healthcare for their medical needs.
  • Working with supply chain partners to understand supply usage, what products are available, and when more aggressive measures may need to be taken to ensure that healthcare workers at highest risk have access to PPE.
  • Sharing information with stakeholders to help them recognize when to shift the strategies they are using.
Reinforcing state, territorial, and local public health readiness
  • Assessing state and local readiness to implement community mitigation measures like home containment, including housing and transportation needs.
  • Coordinating with states toidentify and mitigate gaps in readiness that will help reduce the spread of disease in the community while protecting workers, infrastructure, and institutions.
  • Linking public health agencies and healthcare systems to identify and mitigate stressors to the health system.
  • Tracking stockpiles of PPE across jurisdictions.
  • Working with state and local public health to use existing Public Health Emergency Preparedness (PHEP) fundingto support COVID-19 preparedness and response activities.
  • Leveraging funding mechanisms to help states accelerate preparedness activities.
  • Providing technical assistance and guidance to states to improve their ability to respond to the outbreak.
Supporting communities, businesses, and schools
  • Creating business guidance to help the public and private sectors ensure they are able to operate with adaptations like telework and flexible sick leave policies, as well as how to respond if an employee gets sick.
  • Developing guidance for childcare programs, K-12 schools, and colleges/universities to help them plan and prepare for COVID-19 and respond if there is a local outbreak in their community.
  • Providing planning guides for COVID-19 that households, community- and faith-based organizations, event planners of mass gatherings, and public health communicators can use.
  • Educating communities about nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) that help slow the spread of illness, like COVID-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1000MoonsAgo