Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just not a good time to travel. I'm glad this did not break out over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday season.
I hope other holidays from different parts of the world take heed. Jmo

View attachment 234490

Jamaica refuses to accept cruise ship passengers over coronavirus fears

Passengers on board MSC Meraviglia says the ship has been detained in Ocho Rios as health inspectors assess the risk hours after a hotel in Tenerife was placed on locked down

Yeah I’m not sure how strong Jamaica’s healthcare infrastructure is. I’m sure Doc T and Dr. Mike are all on it telling them to turn around if there’s even a question (cough), moo.

People will also now know the value of getting the infected off the ship sooner after the Diamond Princess.

So, where’s the closest military base...

I realize there have been no confirmed cases yet.

Last edited:
View attachment 234490

Passengers on board MSC Meraviglia says the ship has been detained in Ocho Rios as health inspectors assess the risk hours after a hotel in Tenerife was placed on locked down

Update 1: There is no confirmed case onboard. Precaution is been taken because a crew member transited through Japan, Indonesia and Turkey. The individual is NOT showing any symptoms. Port Authority is awaiting instructions from the Ministry of Health.

Update 2: Passengers can be seen standing on deck. The ship has a yellow flag raised. This is an international maritime symbol that means the ship is free of diseases and is requesting boarding and inspection.

Update 3: A crew member has tested positive for flu and no one is allowed to leave. Discussions with the relevant authorities are ongoing.

Update 4: The ship’s visit has been cancelled due to time constraint.

ST•ANN, JAMAICA on Twitter

Note / did we ever get/post any links, notes, video, audio, etc. of Dr. Bruce A’s Press Briefing in China yesterday? Sorry still catching up but wanted to note just in case we didn’t.

Yes, posting again x3 the presser transcript from yesterday below PDF in Beijing before they flew out (just finished another one back home with the head of the WHO team who went to China debriefing, as this thread moves so fast. Many folks are at work and cannot view thread until they get home, so no problem posting again and again for folks. Multiple posts on same thing MOO are appreciated by many.

Here is transcript in PDF of yesterdays presser with the team that went to China and their first presser before today when they were in Beijing (no video I have found), 26page PDF.

Attachments

• joint-mission-press-conference-script-english-final.pdf
    328.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Yikes...not sure if you saw the post upstream that he was also sweating...

___

Iran's deputy health minister tests positive for coronavirus

In a video broadcast on state television, the deputy minister put on a brave face as he admitted he was infected.

"I too have been infected with coronavirus," Harirchi said in the video apparently shot by himself. "I had a fever as of last night and my preliminary test was positive around midnight," he said.

"I've isolated myself in a place since. A few minutes ago, I was told that my final test was final, and now I am starting medication."

An Iranian parliamentarian representing Tehran has also tested positive.

"My corona test is positive ... I don't have a lot of hope of continuing life in this world," Mahmoud Sadeghi wrote on Twitter.

In the same message, he called on the head of Iran's judiciary to release political prisoners to prevent them from getting infected and to allow them to spend the duration of the outbreak with their families.

Last edited:
Yes, posting again x3 as this thread moves so fast. Many folks are at work and cannot view thread until they get home, so no problem posting again and again for folks. Multiple posts on same thing MOO are appreciated by many.

Here is transcript in PDF of yesterdays presser with the team that went to China and their first presser before today when they were in Beijing (no video I have found), 26page PDF.

Thank you. Yikes, I didn’t realize I was that behind, I apologize, things are moving fast, as you said! That’s why I said I’m turning off my phone LOL!

___

Iran's deputy health minister tests positive for coronavirus

In a video broadcast on state television, the deputy minister put on a brave face as he admitted he was infected.

"I too have been infected with coronavirus," Harirchi said in the video apparently shot by himself. "I had a fever as of last night and my preliminary test was positive around midnight," he said.

"I've isolated myself in a place since. A few minutes ago, I was told that my final test was final, and now I am starting medication."

An Iranian parliamentarian representing Tehran has also tested positive.

"My corona test is positive ... I don't have a lot of hope of continuing life in this world," Mahmoud Sadeghi wrote on Twitter.

In the same message, he called on the head of Iran's judiciary to release political prisoners to prevent them from getting infected and to allow them to spend the duration of the outbreak with their families.

:eek:

( Marking! )

So from 1# no big deal to 4# a confirmed case in less than two hours? Geez. And who the heck is cruising right now anyway. No thanks.

Totally OT Jamaica the roads are an experience omg

Update 1: There is no confirmed case onboard. Precaution is been taken because a crew member transited through Japan, Indonesia and Turkey. The individual is NOT showing any symptoms. Port Authority is awaiting instructions from the Ministry of Health.

Update 2: Passengers can be seen standing on deck. The ship has a yellow flag raised. This is an international maritime symbol that means the ship is free of diseases and is requesting boarding and inspection.

Update 3: A crew member has tested positive for flu and no one is allowed to leave. Discussions with the relevant authorities are ongoing.

Update 4: The ship’s visit has been cancelled due to time constraint.

Thank you. Yikes, I didn’t realize I was that behind, I apologize, things are moving fast, as you said! That’s why I said I’m turning off my phone LOL!

No problem, and back at ya! If folks have missed something they wanna see again, no issues AFAIAC to repost again and again. As I said before, imagine when more WSers come in here that have no knowledge - we'll need to repost stuff - folks here are really good about that :cool:

I cannot remember who posted this (Margarita?) but thanks, I had no idea about Dr. Mike at the WHO who is second chair to Dr. Pedros

"He’s Geneva-based Michael Ryan, from Curry, near the Sligo/Mayo border, who is heading the response of the World Health Organisation to the outbreak, which originated in China. Trained as a trauma surgeon, Michael Ryan switched to public health after suffering a life-altering back injury during the 1990 war in Iraq. That led to training in communicable diseases and a fulltime post with the World Health Organisation. He has since been involved in the fights against Sars, Ebola, bird flu and other threats to global health.

In 2011, he retired and returned to live with his wife and family in Galway.

However, in 2017, after criticism of the WHO’s response to the Ebola crisis, the Organisation set up a separate emergencies programme . . . and asked Ryan to head it.

Sligoman leads the fight against global spread of coronavirus - Ocean FM

I just love it here when folks come up with stuff perhaps we would have never found if it weren't for fellow posters.

Last edited:
Two new coronavirus cases in France

France reports two new coronavirus infections, one returning from Italy

Two more people were infected with the coronavirus in France on Tuesday, one a French man returning from a trip in the Lombardy region of Italy, the other a young Chinese woman returning to France from a trip to China

Both patients were in hospital and in good condition. The two new infections take the total number of people who have been infected in France to 14. One of those 14 people has died and 11 have been cured and have left the hospital.

Last edited:
Coronavirus: Concerns over Iran, Italy restrictions and hotel lockdown - BBC News

Posted at 13:0613:06
'It's not if, but when' coronavirus will hit the US - CDC
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the US's top public health agency, has warned Americans to brace themselves for a spread of coronavirus within the country.

"It's not so much a question of if this will happen in this country any more but a question of when this will happen," Dr Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunisation and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), said.

"We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad."

It's a change of tone for the CDC, which, until now, has largely been focused on efforts to stop the virus entering the country and on quarantining people who have travelled from China.

upload_2020-2-25_13-27-46.gif
EPACopyright: EPA
HHS Secretary Alex Azar asked for $2.5 billion to be invested in fighting the outbreakImage caption: HHS Secretary Alex Azar asked for $2.5 billion to be invested in fighting the outbreak
Meanwhile Alex Azar, the US Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary, has asked a Senate subcommittee to approve $2.5 billion (£1.92 billion) in funding to fight the outbreak.

The money, he said, would pay for the US to expand its surveillance systems for the virus, would support local and state governments, and would help scientists develop vaccines.

Mr Azar also said the US needed to expand its stockpiles of protective equipment, like surgical masks. He said that right now the US has a stockpile of about 30 million masks, but it actually needs 300 million.

No problem, and back at ya! If folks have missed something they wanna see again, no issues AFAIAC to repost again and again. As I said before, imagine when more WSers come in here that have no knowledge - we'll need to repost stuff - folks here are really good about that :cool:

Sweet. I don’t think my ADD can take the conference anymore. Going to wait for the transcript on this one. (Usually I like to analyze their expressions, etc LOL)

Seriously, I’m over it. I much prefer to catch up here in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia