Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the issue in communications is the involvement of the US government. This past Wednesday or Thursday I noticed a small message on either WHO or CDC (and I can't find it now) advising that further public information releases would be routed through the vice-presidents office before made available. Now, I see it's all over the news. This administration feels that the medical bodies are unnecessarily alarming the population, so they are going to control the releases. IMO that is not okay.
Pence office to handle media on coronavirus

just like all other coronaviruses. Every winter there are loads of colds, flu variations etc that are spread far and wide. Most of us survive them, remember that part.

Yes, many/most will survive. But does the world need to settle that most (>50% is most?) will survive. I think not, but to each their own as to their outlook.

Moo, this post is an example of optimist and focus to look to all that survive. A great outlook in life to discount the negatives and the number of deaths.

Yet WHO/countries/world and many of us here at WS etc. look at how this NEW virus can be a disease that doesn't get to the numbers of the flu and nip it and get a vaccine/treatments etc. That deaths of millions in the future can be avoided if pandemic.

And that is why the entire world knows if this gets to pandemic levels is bad, because we know of the deaths and economic damage the flu causes...and this one has MUCH higher Ro and death rates than the flu from what we have learned so far.

MOO

Really this morning is the first time I’ve seen more than one random/not headlining story on my two local news websites. there’s a few there now though
I Watch little local news except for weather saw a few minor stories. Haven’t watched today at all.

Not a peep at work though I miss morning circle time /meetings so I could have missed it.
I have a cabinet full of soup I assume because it was on sale when husband shopped. That’s about the extent of my prep. My usual TP supply is currently lacking (normally have an 18-24 pack on hand) Ugh.

Really this morning is the first time I’ve seen more than one random/not headlining story on my two local news websites. there’s a few there now though
Not a peep at work though I miss morning circle time /meetings so I could have missed it.
I have a cabinet full of soup I assume because it was on sale when husband shopped. That’s about the extent of my prep. My usual TP supply is currently lacking (normally have an 18-24 pack on hand) Ugh.
Not too late do do a little prepping.

“What you need to know about Coronavirus”

What began with a handful of mysterious illnesses in a vast central China city has now traveled the world, jumping from animals to humans and from obscurity to international headlines. First detected on the last day of 2019, the novel coronavirus has infected tens of thousands of people — within China’s borders and beyond them — and has killed more than 2,500. It has triggered unprecedented quarantines, stock market upheaval and dangerous conspiracy theories.

Most cases are mild, but health officials say the virus’s spread through the United States appears inevitable. As the country and its health-care system prepares, much is still unknown about the virus that causes the disease now named covid-19.

The Washington Post has spoken to scores of doctors, officials and experts to answer as many of your questions as we can about the newest global health emergency. Here’s what we know so far.

What is it? | How deadly is it? | How does it spread? | Who is at most risk? | What’s it like to have covid-19? | Where has it spread? | How should I prepare? | Do I need a mask? | What do reports of a patient being ‘cured’ mean? | When will it end? | Terms to know

What is it?
These days, “coronavirus” is often prefaced with the word “novel,” because that’s precisely what it is: a new strain in a family of viruses we’ve all seen before — and, in some form, had. According to the WHO, coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that range from the common cold to much more serious diseases. These diseases can infect both humans and animals. The strain that began spreading in Wuhan, the capital of China’s Hubei province, is related to two other coronaviruses that have caused major outbreaks in recent years: severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).

Symptoms of a coronavirus infection range in severity from respiratory problems to cases of pneumonia, kidney failure and a buildup of fluid in the lungs.

SBBM
Hatfield- was this the CA presser in Santa Clara County yesterday or the Washington State presser? Because the students pulled from my kids’ school (Santa Clara County) are at the moment only confirmed to have been directly exposed to a positive case.

Yes, I believe it was the Santa Clara one but it could have been the Washington State one as I watched so much yesterday so not really sure now . The male official was the one responding to a really good question from the audience about if they were contact tracing any of the fellow classmates BEFORE the infected student showed symptoms. Answer was NO, they are not worried about that and mainly worried about the "small number" of people the student contacted AFTER they showed symptoms.

That is the best of my recollection and I was not happy with his response. IMO, it would be better to be on the safe side and go ahead and contact ALL the classmates from every class the person attended and just have them to be on the lookout if they start to show signs of illness to contact health officials.
I realize it is a double edged sword for them and they probably did not want to make all those students and families concerned. But putting your head in the sand and ignoring a potential area of mass infection is not the way to go about it IMO. It is what it is, so inform the folks for goodness sakes.

Semantics are important. The male announcer said "may" in his overlay of the interview with clips. The doctor herself never said any percentage on camera, just what the categories are. The word "may" comes from projections which have been done by statisticians that we've discussed in the first two threads, and reflect what "may/could" happen if there were no interventions, which of course now countries are doing. In the US are many interventions and surveillance etc. to prevent such a number from happening is the preparations and actions done to date, and those to come in the future. MOO

You’re right. She said “may” not “will”. But she did indeed say the percentages. Not on camera but it’s clear he reported what she actually said. Because he stated that’s what she said. And then after reporting her words he then repeated the percentages back to her, this time on camera, saying “40-60% of us, I mean that sounds crazy. Should we all be freaking out at this point?” She then replied that the majority of cases would be mild but there would be severe cases and a smaller percentage in the critical range.

Yes, many/most will survive. But does the world need to settle that most (>50% is most?) will survive. I think not, but to each their own as to their outlook.

Moo, this post is an example of optimist and focus to look to all that survive. A great outlook in life to discount the negatives and the number of deaths.

Yet WHO/countries/world and many of us here at WS etc. look at how this NEW virus can be a disease that doesn't get to the numbers of the flu and nip it and get a vaccine/treatments etc. That deaths of millions in the future can be avoided if pandemic.

And that is why the entire world knows if this gets to pandemic levels is bad, because we know of the deaths and economic damage the flu causes...and this one has MUCH higher Ro and death rates than the flu from what we have learned so far.

MOO

In an old study ( 2011) in the US, people 70 and over resulted in 63% of all costs to Medicare. Undoubtedly it's higher now.

The cost of inpatient Medicare peaked at age 89.

The Rising Cost of Living Longer: Analysis of Medicare Spending by Age for Beneficiaries in Traditional Medicare

This is an issue that COVID-19 infection has confronted in some countries. How much are we willing to spend on high-level intensive care for older people?

Part of the issue in communications is the involvement of the US government. This past Wednesday or Thursday I noticed a small message on either WHO or CDC (and I can't find it now) advising that further public information releases would be routed through the vice-presidents office before made available. Now, I see it's all over the news. This administration feels that the medical bodies are unnecessarily alarming the population, so they are going to control the releases. IMO that is not okay.
Pence office to handle media on coronavirus

Yes, there are reasons to be concerned about that development.

In an old study ( 2011) in the US, people 70 and over resulted in 63% of all costs to Medicare. Undoubtedly it's higher now.

This is an issue that COVID-19 infection has confronted in some countries. How much are we willing to spend on high-level intensive care for older people?
As much as we normally do for other illnesses and problems I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase