Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my.....

'Not gone as smoothly as we would have liked': CDC fixes coronavirus testing kit glitch

Not gone as smoothly as we would have liked': CDC fixes coronavirus testing kit glitch”

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has expanded criteria for coronavirus testing and fixed a testing glitch to allow every state and local health departments to begin testing next week.

Complete and total screw up. This is what we have a CDC for. And they can't manage to do better than this in this kind of serious situation? How can these other countries do so much better? Who totally blew this? Everyone else except places like Iran have done better.

A huge proportion of American workers simply don’t have the legal right to take off from work without losing their jobs or pay.

Columnist @hiltzikm on why the coronavirus may spread quickly in the U.S.:

https://www.latimes.com/business/st...insurance?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

If coronavirus sweeps America, blame our brutal work and healthcare culture
Earlier this week, Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, outlined the steps that ordinary Americans might take to stem the spread of COVID-19, the viral disease causing panic and disruption around the globe.

Households might have to keep patients, along with family members they may have infected, at home. Schools might have to close. Businesses might have to allow workers who can perform their jobs without coming to the workplace to telecommute.

Messonnier, whose agency is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, acknowledged that these measures might involve “unwanted consequences and further disruptions,” including “missed work and loss of income.”

If one of us gets sick, we will have no choice but to keep driving.
UBER/LYFT DRIVER ALVARO BALAINEZ

Complete and total screw up. This is what we have a CDC for. And they can't manage to do better than this in this kind of serious situation? How can these other countries do so much better? Who totally blew this? Everyone else except places like Iran have done better.

Not a great confidence booster at the onset of the US initial wave!

Yes, many/most will survive. But does the world need to settle that most (>50% is most?) will survive. I think not, but to each their own as to their outlook.

Moo, this post is an example of optimist and focus to look to all that survive. A great outlook in life to discount the negatives and the number of deaths.

Yet WHO/countries/world and many of us here at WS etc. look at how this NEW virus can be a disease that doesn't get to the numbers of the flu and nip it and get a vaccine/treatments etc. That deaths of millions in the future can be avoided if pandemic.

And that is why the entire world knows if this gets to pandemic levels is bad, because we know of the deaths and economic damage the flu causes...and this one has MUCH higher Ro and death rates than the flu from what we have learned so far.

MOO
There are a lot of people that still like to focus on the positive and be proactive in what they can do to prevent the spread of illnesses. They like to rely on facts and not hysteria. Panic and anxiety causes stress and wreaks havoc on our immune systems. Always keep you wits about you and be prepared, don’t panic. IMO

Not too late do do a little prepping.

Yep. My prepping was due to when I shop, I lollygag browsing for what I need, and spend an hour in the store. Now I have longer term needs so if I need to go, I'm going to be in and out in 5 minutes to get just a few items. e.g. today on my list is tea (thanks to OP for suggesting), wine (egads, if I stock up on that I'm going to have to tell the cashier I'm have a huggggge party for 50 :D) cigarettes and UHT milk that is shelf stable (thanks to the OP for suggesting). Never thought about getting rice ahead as another poster suggested as to China source. I already have a 5 lb bag so good to go, yet I love specialty rices so I'm gonna pick up a few of those also... Far East Rice Pilaf...my favorite!

In and out, I will be in 5 minutes breezing through the store and out for a trial run.

Coronavirus: Two teachers absent from Brockhill Park secondary school in Hythe after Italy trip
By: Eleanor Perkins eperkins@thekmgroup.co.uk
Published: 16:48, 29 February 2020

Updated: 17:06, 29 February 2020

Two teachers at a Hythe school are understood to be self isolating following a stay in northern Italy.

In a letter to parents - seen by KentOnline - senior vice principal at Brockhill Park, Charles Joseph, says two members of staff have been 'absent from school' following a trip to the severely affected country.

Two teachers 'self isolate' after visiting northern Italy

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe family believe she has coronavirus

The Free Nazanin Campaign said despite reports of at least one coronavirus-related inmate death inside Tehran’s Evin prison, staff are refusing to test her.

In a statement issued via the Free Nazanin Campaign, Zaghari-Ratcliffe said: “I am not good. I feel very bad in fact. It is a strange cold. Not like usual. I know the kinds of cold I normally have, how my body reacts. This is different. I am just as bad as I was. I often get better after three days. But with this there is no improvement. I haven’t got one bit better.”

“It has been a sore throat for days now. Really bad. It is now more than five days – with a severe sore throat that is not going away.

“At the beginning I had a runny nose and a cough. Now I have this continual cold sweat I have a temperature, though not all the time. The past couple of days I have been shivering every night. The past couple of days I have had nausea – feeling like I am about to vomit, though I do not.

“I have difficulty breathing and pain in my muscles, and fatigue. I do not pant, but I am finding it hard to breathe. And I am just very, very tired. I have a real tiredness, and a heavy head. I am too tired to do anything.

“For a long time this has not felt like a normal cold. These symptoms have lasted almost a week. I know I need to get medicine to get better. This does not go magically.”
This was the first vivid description of (possible) symptoms that I've seen, though I haven't been reading as much as others. I know she hasn't been diagnosed. Does this match up with reports from elsewhere, anyone?

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe family believe she has coronavirus

The Free Nazanin Campaign said despite reports of at least one coronavirus-related inmate death inside Tehran’s Evin prison, staff are refusing to test her.

In a statement issued via the Free Nazanin Campaign, Zaghari-Ratcliffe said: “I am not good. I feel very bad in fact. It is a strange cold. Not like usual. I know the kinds of cold I normally have, how my body reacts. This is different. I am just as bad as I was. I often get better after three days. But with this there is no improvement. I haven’t got one bit better.”

“It has been a sore throat for days now. Really bad. It is now more than five days – with a severe sore throat that is not going away.

“At the beginning I had a runny nose and a cough. Now I have this continual cold sweat I have a temperature, though not all the time. The past couple of days I have been shivering every night. The past couple of days I have had nausea – feeling like I am about to vomit, though I do not.

“I have difficulty breathing and pain in my muscles, and fatigue. I do not pant, but I am finding it hard to breathe. And I am just very, very tired. I have a real tiredness, and a heavy head. I am too tired to do anything.

“For a long time this has not felt like a normal cold. These symptoms have lasted almost a week. I know I need to get medicine to get better. This does not go magically.”
Well it it's not covid-19, it really sounds like flu. Poor woman. I hope it resolves and she does get the care she needs.

Yep. My prepping was due to when I shop, I lollygag browsing for what I need, and spend an hour in the store. Now I have longer term needs so if I need to go, I'm going to be in and out in 5 minutes to get just a few items. e.g. today on my list is tea (thanks to OP for suggesting), wine (egads, if I stock up on that I'm going to have to tell the cashier I'm have a huggggge party for 50 :D) cigarettes and UHT milk that is shelf stable (thanks to the OP for suggesting). Never thought about getting rice ahead as another poster suggested as to China source. I already have a 5 lb bag so good to go, yet I love specialty rices so I'm gonna pick up a few of those also... Far East Rice Pilaf...my favorite!

In and out, I will be in 5 minutes breezing through the store and out for a trial run.
Can you pick up some Pine Nut Couscous for me? :) Enjoy and be well.

Leaked Documents Reveal Coronavirus Infections Up to 52 Times Higher Than Reported Figures in China’s Shandong Province
February 26, 2020 9:01, Last Updated: February 28, 2020 18:35
By Nicole Hao

Leaked Documents Reveal Coronavirus Infections Up to 52 Times Higher Than Reported Figures in China’s Shandong Province

From your link ... this helps clarify the situation, especially regarding inconsistent positive and negative test results.

"One Chinese researcher suggested that diagnostic kits alone wouldn’t be able to detect all the virus-infected patients.

“This disease has a character, which is not all patients can be detected positive when using nucleic acid testing,” Wang Chen, director of China’s Academy of Medical Sciences and a critical care medicine expert, told state-run broadcaster CCTV on Feb. 5.

Wang explained that although nucleic acid testing is currently the only official method that Chinese medical staff use to diagnose coronavirus, the result isn’t accurate.

“Only 30 to 50 percent of the patients present positive,” according to Wang."

HUH?

The U.S. surgeon general on Saturday urged the public to stop buying masks, warning that it won’t help against the spread of the coronavirus but will take away important resources from health care professionals

The New York Times on Twitter

ETA: This is the most contradicting statement I have read in awhile, oh wait a minute, no it isn’t. That would be this morning when someone announced their presser for a virus that is a hoax. Timeout for me!MOOOOOO

You’re right. She said “may” not “will”. But she did indeed say the percentages. Not on camera but it’s clear he reported what she actually said. Because he stated that’s what she said. And then after reporting her words he then repeated the percentages back to her, this time on camera, saying “40-60% of us, I mean that sounds crazy. Should we all be freaking out at this point?” She then replied that the majority of cases would be mild but there would be severe cases and a smaller percentage in the critical range.

Exactly! She spoke of percentages of what the mild/severe/critical were. We are just viewing from different viewpoints. Scientists will state facts. And she stated the breakdowns and dismissed where the reporter was leading her to say. That is my MOO. I've seen this again and again with reporters. They ask a leading question which they want to state, the scientist states a fact that is different from what the reporter is saying... as what I think happened in this interview. ...and knowing the facts from here makes it so clear to me. MOO But we all have our own biases to make opinions, and appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks