Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I believe I just learned a HUGE LESSON about posting on Websleuths....

(hoping I’m wrong and that other members can provide some direction, but I think I already know the answer... ugh....)

I wrote up a rather lengthy reply to a post in the last thread (and even occasionally saved the draft). When I hit the “Post Reply” button, the thread has already been closed, I received an error, and *POOF* - my post was GONE!!

Any tips to avoid such going forward?

Anyone with an emoji repeatedly banging head against wall??

Off to find my emergency stash of tequila - please forgive any posts throughout the rest of the day that may appear to be rather incoherent... :(

Here's how coronavirus could become a pandemic—and why it matters
Public health officials have stopped short of describing COVID-19 as a pandemic, but some say it’s just a matter of time...and semantics.

In the two months since the novel coronavirus was announced in China, it has expanded across the globe. Outbreaks have been reported in more than 50 countries with more than 85,000 confirmed cases and 2,900 deaths worldwide. Stock markets posted their biggest tumble since the 2008 recession this week as case counts of the virus, which causes the disease named COVID-19, rose sharply in places like Italy, Iran, and South Korea. Meanwhile, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that it’s just a matter of time before the virus thrives in America as well.

Here's how coronavirus could become a pandemic—and why it matters

Coronavirus travel restrictions make buying tickets for plays, concerts and sporting events a tough call

Coronavirus travel restrictions make buying tickets for plays, concerts and sporting events a tough call

Travel restrictions aimed at stemming the spread of coronavirus are sparking worries about lower attendance and ticket sales at sporting events and concerts, members of the ticketing industry said.

It's the combination of people not being able to travel and the fear that restrictions will be imposed while people are abroad that is affecting the ticketing industry. Travelers arriving from parts of China to other countries, including the U.S., may face quarantines.

At the moment, this is the only thing that concerns me. While still several weeks away, DH and I have tickets for Michigan Opera Theatre's production of Champion (April 5) and American Ballet Theatre's Swan Lake (April 19). The tickets weren't cheap, and we do not want to miss either theatrical event at Detroit Opera House. I'm not an alarmist and hope we will be able to attend both performances without fear of becoming ill. I think we will know much more about the potential spread of COVID-19 over the next few weeks, and I will certainly be vigilant about monitoring local cases of the virus.

Feb 29, 2020 rbbm.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-hasn-t-had-any-new-coronavirus-cases-why-is-that-1.5479374
''In the snowy Russian city of Yekaterinburg — thousands of kilometres from the closest international border — Igor Gorbunov says he's doing his part to keep the coronavirus out of the world's largest nation.

"Put this on before you go inside, there might be Chinese in there," he tells a family heading into a grocery store, before handing face masks to a mom and her kids.

Russia has adopted some of the world's most controversial — many would say discriminatory — measures to combat the coronavirus, including policies specifically targeting the Chinese community.

Among them are patrols, such as the one Gorbunov is undertaking, in largely Chinese neighbourhoods.''

''The masks and information they hand out about the spread of the virus are approved by Russian health authorities. The holy water blessed by Orthodox priests, which Gorbunov and Kovalov claim will prevent people from getting sick, is not.

Although Russia is the world's largest nation in terms of land mass and shares more international borders than any other state in the world (14), health authorities here have reported strikingly few cases of the COVID-19 virus''
''The fact that Russia has managed to avoid the kind of large outbreaks currently seen in Europe and with some of China's other neighbours has led some observers to wonder whether Russia's controversial strategy is paying off — or if health authorities simply aren't telling the truth.''

(hoping I’m wrong and that other members can provide some direction, but I think I already know the answer... ugh....)

I wrote up a rather lengthy reply to a post in the last thread (and even occasionally saved the draft). When I hit the “Post Reply” button, the thread has already been closed, I received an error, and *POOF* - my post was GONE!!

Off to find my emergency stash of tequila - please forgive any posts throughout the rest of the day that may appear to be rather incoherent... :(
I feel your pain......I too find it rough when my WS posted " words of wisdom " just go "POOF"...... I guess it is better though than the Mod just going ahead and sending me to Band Camp......moo

Last edited:
“Thirty Brighton doctors in coronavirus isolation, says clinician”
Thirty Brighton doctors in coronavirus isolation, says clinician | The Argus
THIRTY doctors are in isolation after coming into contact with a GP who tested positive for coronavirus, according to a frontline clinician working to stem the outbreak in the city.

It is believed Public Health England told them to self-isolate following a healthcare meeting attended by the infected GP and dozens of other doctors.

The Argus became aware of the situation after patients at Charter Medical Centre in Hove were told only four of the practice’s 12 doctors were working on Monday morning because the rest of the staff were off sick.

Dr. C covered that earlier in his YouTube posted above. 11 hospitals and 100 GP practices were being screened during a surveillance test. He said one GP was positive.

Coronavirus: What are the chances of dying?

Researchers currently think that between five and 40 coronavirus cases in 1,000 will result in death, with a best guess of nine in 1,000 or about 1%.

But it depends on a range of factors: your age, sex and general health and the health system you are in.

How deadly is the coronavirus?

Apologies if already posted.

Hey, time to brave the crowds for an Emergency Emergency stash of Tequila.

Medicinal spirits!

HUH?

The U.S. surgeon general on Saturday urged the public to stop buying masks, warning that it won’t help against the spread of the coronavirus but will take away important resources from health care professionals

The New York Times on Twitter

ETA: This is the most contradicting statement I have read in awhile

....snipped rest by me for focus above....

ikr

What is so stupid to me about the type of comment the Surgeon General said is stores that general public shop at has supplies for the general public. The Hospitals and other places that need surgical masks have their own supply order chains directly to the suppliers of masks, so if Hospitals and the places who need them have not already contacted their suppliers to make sure they are top priority to get supplies, then that is on them, and not the publics fault if we go to Walmart to pickup whatever is left at Walmart.

Sometimes the back button works

Complete and total screw up. This is what we have a CDC for. And they can't manage to do better than this in this kind of serious situation? How can these other countries do so much better? Who totally blew this? Everyone else except places like Iran have done better.

^^^This^^^

I’ll be furious for a while I think.

(Time to upgrade my yoga membership to monthly unlimited.)

Last edited:

What I try to do is if I know I am fixing to write a long post, I will type it up in NOTEPAD or MSWORD or ONENOTE and then when done, I COPY+PASTE it from there to the post area here in WS. That way, if it disappears, I can still get it.

What I try to do is if I know I am fixing to write a long post, I will type it up in NOTEPAD or MSWORD or ONENOTE and then when done, I COPY+PASTE it from there to the post area here in WS. That way, if it disappears, I can still get it.

Thanks! I kind of figured that would be the answer, was just hoping there was a magic feature I wasn’t aware of...

Guess the only “magic” was the disappearing act! lol

If you did a reply WITHIN the WS frame, try doing another reply. It will be there in shaded grey to retrieve in my experience. HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member