Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New @US_FDA policy will allow faster testing for novel coronavirus in US. The guidance goes into effect immediately
Sara A. Carter on Twitter[/QUOTE]

But that's only at "academic hospitals".

Academic hospitals represent only 5% of hospitals in the US.

The US patients that have presented in the last week have presented at small community hospitals that would not be allowed to do the testing the FDA has just approved.

So most major and small hospitals in the US can test for Influenza, RSV, and bacterial infections, but cannot test onsite for COVID-19.

This is still NOT FULL ACCESS to COVID-19 testing for patients at presentation.

Yes, I believe it was the Santa Clara one but it could have been the Washington State one as I watched so much yesterday so not really sure now . The male official was the one responding to a really good question from the audience about if they were contact tracing any of the fellow classmates BEFORE the infected student showed symptoms. Answer was NO, they are not worried about that and mainly worried about the "small number" of people the student contacted AFTER they showed symptoms.

That is the best of my recollection and I was not happy with his response. IMO, it would be better to be on the safe side and go ahead and contact ALL the classmates from every class the person attended and just have them to be on the lookout if they start to show signs of illness to contact health officials.
I realize it is a double edged sword for them and they probably did not want to make all those students and families concerned. But putting your head in the sand and ignoring a potential area of mass infection is not the way to go about it IMO. It is what it is, so inform the folks for goodness sakes.

I’m 100% with you. Cleaning a school only does so much with this virus. Because a huge part of the risk of disease spread is that the PEOPLE who have been exposed to the infected student are the ones who could be new carriers. While this virus can seemingly live on surfaces for roughly 5-9 days, experts have said the primary way it’s spread is person to person. So sure, clean the school, but then immediately welcome back in new carriers? o_O

sidenote, not super important but just to note: I do believe the video/presser you are referring to is the one from Washington State. The Santa Clara County one in CA was done by a woman and there is no current student diagnosed here (yet). Although 2 have been removed from school. I saw this morning that cleaning crews will be cleaning the campus this weekend. But we currently remain open for school to start back as usual on Monday. Goodie! (Insert emoji with party blow-horn and confetti).

Again, IMO “cleaning” the school is using a thimble to bail out a sinking ship. Hopefully not a cruise ship...

I’m 100% with you. Cleaning a school only does so much with this virus. Because a huge part of the risk of disease spread is that the PEOPLE who have been exposed to the infected student are the ones who could be new carriers. While this virus can seemingly live on surfaces for roughly 5-9 days, experts have said the primary way it’s spread is person to person. So sure, clean the school, but then immediately welcome back in new carriers? o_O

sidenote, not super important but just to note: I do believe the video/presser you are referring to is the one from Washington State. The Santa Clara County one in CA was done by a woman and there is no current student diagnosed here (yet). Although 2 have been removed from school. I saw this morning that cleaning crews will be cleaning the campus this weekend. But we currently remain open for school to start back as usual on Monday. Goodie! (Insert emoji with party blow-horn and confetti).

Again, IMO “cleaning” the school is using a thimble to bail out a sinking ship. Hopefully not a cruise ship...

Thanks for correcting me on that as I ended up watching 2 or 3 pressers yesterday and got myself confused which school/area it actually was.

New @US_FDA policy will allow faster testing for novel coronavirus in US. The guidance goes into effect immediately
Sara A. Carter on Twitter

But that's only at "academic hospitals".

Academic hospitals represent only 5% of hospitals in the US.

The US patients that have presented in the last week have presented at small community hospitals that would not be allowed to do the testing the FDA has just approved.

So most major and small hospitals in the US can test for Influenza, RSV, and bacterial infections, but cannot test onsite for COVID-19.

This is still NOT FULL ACCESS to COVID-19 testing for patients at presentation.

Misguided/misleading. It is STILL a PCR test that community hospitals cannot perform. The don't have the equipment etc. so will still need to be done by academic hospitals and local health departments who have the equipment. They aren't allowed as they aren't approved for such/don't have equipment MOO.. I hate these inflammatory misleading articles, but glad we have folks here who have followed and know incorrect/misleading info and can jump on such. Moo Moo MOO. If I see a local paper doing such, I'm on it as to feedback but won't take time until then as it's getting widespread now as misleading incorrect information being disseminated. Moo

Last edited:
Let's keep politics out of it and keep the thread open. That said, it is inappropriate to use that word at all at a time of an emerging health crisis - not professional or scientific, and not helpful, which should be the only goal. No matter the context, IMO (unless discussing an actual hoax).

I decided to start watching "Pandemic: How to Prevent an Outbreak" (the docuseries on Netflix). It was clearly filmed prior to the coronavirus situation and is discussing pandemics in general and our preparation and readiness for them. I'm only on episode 1 (I think there are 6 episodes) so I'm not sure if they discuss coronavirus specifically in future episodes. It's interesting but also unsettling. Anyone else watched it?

Thanks for correcting me on that as I ended up watching 2 or 3 pressers yesterday and got myself confused which school/area it actually was.

Oh no worries- like I said, it’s actually not really important. Just wanted to note.

The US cases are really starting to become a blur to me. In very short order I believe we will no longer be able to identify very many individual cases on here- there will just be too many!

MOO.

Let's keep politics out of it and keep the thread open. That said, it is inappropriate to use that word at all at a time of an emerging health crisis - not professional or scientific, and not helpful, which should be the only goal. No matter the context, IMO (unless discussing an actual hoax).
I suppose we should stop discussing it at all because some people feel differently.

This news I heard this morning
a student at Jackson High School in the city Mill Creek, Wa tested positive for the Coronavirus. The first US case happened in Everett WA.
I live in incorporated Everett which borders with Mill Creek.

Thursday l spend time with friends (they live in Mill Creek), we discussed the virus, the important steps of washing your hand often when in public, keeping your hands away from your face. And staying away from large crowds.

My husband is in remission for Leukemia and had a stem cell transplant at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance.
I don’t believe he can survive the
Coronavirus if he is exposed.. It’s deadly for people with weakened immune systems.

Bothell High School staff member family member tested negative

The threads move so fast, always playing catch up.

Just watched on Youtube, 'The Flu Movie (ENG SUB)'
and I understand why so many globally have been watching it during this time.
What a great disaster action movie, non stop.
Have to watch past the final credits to see the final ending.

Might be cathartic?

Oh dear! I wonder if this was the first case reported in the country...it was in WA.
Yeah I will be interested to see who it was.

I was just reviewing, and I think there were only 3 diagnosed so far?? The first guy- who supposedly recovered and was home as of last week (the man who asked for privacy), and then a woman in her 50’s and then an 18 year old high school student? I could have missed some people? But if it’s just those 3.... oy. Interesting statistics there.

MOO.

I’m 100% with you. Cleaning a school only does so much with this virus. Because a huge part of the risk of disease spread is that the PEOPLE who have been exposed to the infected student are the ones who could be new carriers. While this virus can seemingly live on surfaces for roughly 5-9 days, experts have said the primary way it’s spread is person to person. So sure, clean the school, but then immediately welcome back in new carriers? o_O...

<respectfully snipped> This is exactly what happens on cruise ships known to have a significant number of Norovirus cases on a particular sailing (crew and/or passengers). The ship undergoes rigorous cleaning and disinfecting, often delaying embarkation for the next round of guests. If embarking passengers have Noro symptoms or have been recently in contact with people with the serious gastrointestinal illness, new passengers will be exposed a whole new round of Noro. The rigorous cleaning and disinfecting doesn't necessarily mean that the ship is disease-free :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks