Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #101

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FDA authorizes Pfizer and Moderna boosters for all adults (nbcnews.com)

The decision comes after a number of states and cities moved on their own to recommend the shot.

The Food and Drug Administration on Friday authorized Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna's Covid-19 boosters for all adults, a move that will make boosters available to everyone ages 18 and up.

Pfizer requested authorization last week, citing results from a Phase 3 clinical trial with more than 10,000 participants that found that the third dose was safe and effective. Moderna requested authorization Wednesday...

Last edited:

Thanks for posting that. So it was just a one-liner from the TV presenter then, I'd be interested to hear if @ilovewings gets a reply to the email she sent them.

From all the searching I've done on this I can't find reference to any studies that back this up, most seem to start measuring 7-14 days after.

This article published by Pfizer --> Pfizer and BioNTech Announce Phase 3 Trial Data Showing High Efficacy of a Booster Dose of Their COVID-19 Vaccine | Pfizer says "Symptomatic COVID-19 occurrence was measured from at least 7 days after booster or placebo, with a median follow-up of 2.5 months."

This from the BMJ --> Covid-19: Booster vaccine gives “significant increased protection” in over 50s says "two weeks after receiving the booster dose, protection against symptomatic infection increased to 93.1% (95% confidence interval, 91.7 to 94.3) in those who initially had two doses of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine, and 94.0% (95% CI, 93.4 to 94.6) for those who had Pfizer."

I don't think it's safe therefore to assume an immediate effect from the booster without more information to back that statement up. JMO.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. So it was just a one-liner from the TV presenter then, I'd be interested to hear if @ilovewings gets a reply to the email she sent them.

From all the searching I've done on this I can't find reference to any studies that back this up, most seem to start measuring 7-14 days after.

This article published by Pfizer --> Pfizer and BioNTech Announce Phase 3 Trial Data Showing High Efficacy of a Booster Dose of Their COVID-19 Vaccine | Pfizer says "Symptomatic COVID-19 occurrence was measured from at least 7 days after booster or placebo, with a median follow-up of 2.5 months."

This from the BMJ --> Covid-19: Booster vaccine gives “significant increased protection” in over 50s says "two weeks after receiving the booster dose, protection against symptomatic infection increased to 93.1% (95% confidence interval, 91.7 to 94.3) in those who initially had two doses of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine, and 94.0% (95% CI, 93.4 to 94.6) for those who had Pfizer."

I don't think it's safe therefore to assume an immediate effect from the booster without more information to back that statement up. JMO.

I was really surprised when Kate Snow said the booster is effective immediately. When a statement like that is made with millions of people watching, they need to make sure the information is correct.

Where do you all think this is going - three years from now, will we still be talking about the selfishness of not wearing a mask, the need for social distancing, strained ICUs?
Interesting question.

Austria will be one to watch I think, with the vaccine being legally enforced.

Where do you all think this is going - three years from now, will we still be talking about the selfishness of not wearing a mask, the need for social distancing, strained ICUs?

It still strikes me that they know more about this than is being shared. For all of the talk about bars being super spreaders, for example, I haven't heard any stories of a tavern getting decimated (and you know that would make news.) I know too many unhealthy people that have never taken precautions, are unvaccinated, and are doing fine. So, to answer your question, I have a bad feeling that there are going to be a lot more people that will stop trusting experts, which will be a tragedy.

Hospital in England 'becomes first in world' to offer mouthwash to Covid patients | Daily Mail Online

A hospital in England is believed to be the first in the world to give mouthwash to Covid patients as part of their treatment.

Salisbury District Hospital is offering its patients one of three household brands, which are available on supermarket shelves from as little as £2 a bottle.

Hospital bosses were convinced to press ahead with the unusual move following research by one of their own doctors.

The hospital said mouthwashes were cheap, completely safe and had wider health benefits, so even if they only helped a bit they are still worth using.

Lab tests suggests the chemicals in mouthwash can kill Covid in just 30 seconds. But the results are yet to be backed up by rigorous clinical trials.

And a long line of studies during the pandemic have linked bad oral hygiene to a severe Covid infection. But some say having bad teeth may just be indicative of overall poor health.

I'm curious what kind of information you think they may know more about?

I suspect there is a strong genetic component, for one. And there could be something environmental or diet related, or even a benefit from taking certain medications. Someone recently posted a story about findings out of Canada about the positive effect Prozac has, due to some mechanism with the blood. I also feel like the effect of natural immunity is under reported - there were stories about people getting Covid twice (perhaps on their only two exposures) but I haven't seen anything on the effect of being constantly exposed.

I'm not implying there is any conspiracy, and I certainly understand how getting into these weeds would distract from the message of getting people vaccinated. It will be fascinating, though, when they eventually connect the dots on why this hits one person so hard, while sparing the person next to them.

I really don't understand why a vaccine has become so contentious. I think that conspiracy theories, sensationalist reports, and social media echo chambers may have something to do with it, but I'm not sure.

I can understand being cautious about a new vaccine or medication. I'm generally very pro-vaccine (caring for Parvo infected puppies will do that), but I wasn't sure how my funky immune system would react to the CV19 vaccine. I'm happy to say that I only had mild side effects, and I'm very pleased that I got vaccinated.

Dissecting the early COVID-19 cases in Wuhan
MICHAEL WOROBEY
SCIENCE• 18 Nov 2021• First Release• DOI: 10.1126/science.abm4454
science.org

“Abstract
Elucidating the origin of the pandemic requires understanding of the Wuhan outbreak

Some key questions lie at the heart of investigations into the origin of the COVID-19 pandemic, including what is known about the earliest COVID-19 cases in Wuhan, China, and what can be learned from them? Despite assertions to the contrary (1), it is now clear that live mammals susceptible to coronaviruses, including raccoon dogs (Nyctereutes procyonoides), were sold at Huanan Market and three other live-animal markets in Wuhan before the pandemic (2, 3). Severe acute respiratory syndrome–related coronaviruses (SARSr-CoVs) were found in raccoon dogs during the SARS outbreak, which was facilitated by animal-to-human contact in live-animal markets in China. However, because of the early public health focus on Huanan Market, it remains unclear whether the apparent preponderance of hospitalized COVID-19 cases associated with this market was truly reflective of the initial outbreak. Answering these questions requires resolving several crucial events that took place in December 2019 and early January 2020........”

continued

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads