Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #101

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the last video that I linked above (ETA, so it didn't add a preview link), is REALLY worth a watch/listen. It's about 24 minutes long, but if you right-click or copy the URL, you can watch on YouTube, and use settings (looks like a gear wheel), to speed it up to 1:25/1:50.

I've been down sick for 8 days now. I think it's this "super cold" that's been going around for awhile now. It's quite exhausting. Worse I've ever had. Hubby wants me to test for Covid. I am double vaxed with Moderna since early March.
Found out I can get at home test from Walgreens for $25. Ordered for pick up tomorrow.

Europe on 'red alert' for Christmas lockdown: Austria sees record cases despite Covid apartheid | Daily Mail Online

Europe is facing a second consecutive Christmas under lockdown with record-breaking coronavirus cases in nations across the continent sparking 'red alert' warnings.

The WHO said today Europe was the only region in the world where deaths had increased - with fatalities spiking by five percent this week.

Belgium's Prime Minister Alexander De Croo said 'the alarm signals are all red' as he imposed tough restrictions, ordering people to work at home for at least four days a week.

In Austria, Covid cases have continued rising after two million unvaccinated people were ordered to stay in their homes on Monday.

Germany has seen a record-breaking number of cases, with 68,366 new infections on Thursday - a colossal 40 percent rise on the same day last week.

'We are currently heading toward a serious emergency,' the director of Berlin's Robert Koch Institute, Lothar Wieler, said. 'We are going to have a really terrible Christmas if we don't take countermeasures now.'

Now the country is considering following Vienna by imposing a 'lockdown for the unvaccinated', with Italy and Greece also considering a similar health apartheid.

Our pharmacist who gave my husband the Pfizer vaccine booster said two weeks. The hospital where I got my Moderna booster told me two weeks for the booster shot to be fully effective.

What humans do to animals makes me seriously sick. I would be very comfortable living somewhere with many animals and no humans.
I guess money is really part of much evil.

If you are interested in the interface between humans, and animals and what that means for the prospect of future zoonotic infections, and potentially, pandemics, I would recommend researching the "One Health" paradigm, which explores these issues.

One Health Basics | One Health | CDC

Zoonoses and One Health: A Review of the Literature

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jym-k44Fg_o&t=2s

I am paying close attention to Israel and their efforts to defeat this virus.
They seem to be doing the best to squash this.
Good for them.
Booster Shots, Effectiveness of COVID-19 Vaccines

Meanwhile, a study from Israel concluded that a third booster shot of the mRNA vaccines appeared to significantly restore protective effects.

“We found that 7–13 days after the booster shot there is a 48–68 percent reduction in the odds of testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection, and that 14–20 days after the booster the marginal effectiveness increases to 70–84 percent,” the researchers from Maccabi Healthcare Services reported.

EBM to clean up links

The Rapid Spread of Delta’s New, Even More Infectious Cousin Could Actually Be Good News

On Thursday, British scientists released the kind of news everyone’s been dreading as we head into winter—a new, more infectious offshoot of the Delta variant appears to be spreading quickly across Britain.

A study from Imperial College found that the Delta subvariant—known to virologists as AY.4.2—accounted for around 12 percent of thousands of samples gathered in a recent British government survey, which is around 2.8 percent higher when compared to the figures from last month.

It’s previously been suggested that AY.4.2 could be as much as 15 percent more transmissible than the dominant Delta variant, which would make it the most infectious coronavirus strain since the pandemic began.

However, the Imperial scientists say they believe the variant’s spread might not be bad news for one crucial reason—it appears to cause significantly less symptomatic disease. Of the AY.4.2 samples gathered in government survey, only a third had the classic COVID symptoms, whereas half of patients with the original Delta experience those symptoms.

Got my Moderna booster (2 previous doses of Pfizer in April) on Tues. 15-16 hours later I developed side effects of fever, chills, body aches, headache plus the standard sore arm. That lasted 36 hours and I’m feeling normal today. I’d do it again without question.

It still strikes me that they know more about this than is being shared. For all of the talk about bars being super spreaders, for example, I haven't heard any stories of a tavern getting decimated (and you know that would make news.) I know too many unhealthy people that have never taken precautions, are unvaccinated, and are doing fine. So, to answer your question, I have a bad feeling that there are going to be a lot more people that will stop trusting experts, which will be a tragedy.
I did hear about it spreading in bars early on. I will also say, though, that since contact tracing didn't really go well, it's been hard to know where it tracks back to much of the time.

Or perhaps alcohol actually kills it. Seriously, we just don't know.

I suspect there is a strong genetic component, for one. And there could be something environmental or diet related, or even a benefit from taking certain medications. Someone recently posted a story about findings out of Canada about the positive effect Prozac has, due to some mechanism with the blood. I also feel like the effect of natural immunity is under reported - there were stories about people getting Covid twice (perhaps on their only two exposures) but I haven't seen anything on the effect of being constantly exposed.

I'm not implying there is any conspiracy, and I certainly understand how getting into these weeds would distract from the message of getting people vaccinated. It will be fascinating, though, when they eventually connect the dots on why this hits one person so hard, while sparing the person next to them.
I've been down sick for 8 days now. I think it's this "super cold" that's been going around for awhile now. It's quite exhausting. Worse I've ever had. Hubby wants me to test for Covid. I am double vaxed with Moderna since early March.
Found out I can get at home test from Walgreens for $25. Ordered for pick up tomorrow.

Around here it’s the crowded bars, several of the local breweries have been spreader events. Lots of people, elbow to elbow.
The smaller local neighborhood bar with the usual dozen or so regulars spaced out at the bar hasn’t had been big covid events.

In this area - the big spreader is still churches.
JMO

Okay- I am freaking out--- First let me say I am in Southeast Michigan- Michigan has the most cases of Covid in this country. They are recommending that we mask up indoors even if we are vaccinated- I am not going to wear a mask in my home. My husband and I are having Thanksgiving dinner a little early (tomorrow Sunday)- we invited (actually they invited themselves but that's another story)--- my stepson and his girlfriend. they are vaccinated, but her job is in a hospital where she is exposed obviously to sick people. I don't know if they have had a booster. She is immunocompromised due the fact she had cancer with chemo and radiation a year ago. I just got my booster shot on Wednesday, which will make it five days at the point we have dinner tomorrow- From what I have read, it appears that the booster begins to take effect from 7 days onward. If I could get out of this situation I would but I simply cannot. Am I over reacting, because honestly I am very concerned. Up to this moment I have done everything I can to avoid the virus: I mask up when going grocery shopping and basically stay home most of the time. We have not had any company in our home since the pandemic began. After all I have gone thru I would be so upset to contract the virus now.

Last edited:
A super cold? Sounds horrible!!
I’m lazy, I do the drive up test where I can wear my comfy clothes and not get out of the car.
Hope you feel better soon!

‘Too late’: Some question why boosters weren’t authorized for all adults sooner (nbcnews.com)

Experts are split on whether the FDA should have signed off earlier, but they agree that the messaging has been confusing — and could lead to some people not getting boosters at all.

Friday’s authorization by federal officials to expand Covid-19 booster shot eligibility to all adults was met with overwhelming support from public health experts. But some were puzzled as to why the Food and Drug Administration didn’t make the move sooner.

Despite a plan by the Biden administration to have boosters available to nearly all Americans by late September, the FDA had only authorized a third shot of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for certain populations, such as those 65 and older and people with underlying medical conditions, up until this point.

With enough convincing evidence to demonstrate safety in those groups, experts said they were frustrated that it took until now to authorize the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna boosters for everyone else...

Okay- I am freaking out--- First let me say I am in Southeast Michigan- Michigan has the most cases of Covid in this country. They are recommending that we mask up indoors even if we are vaccinated- I am not going to wear a mask in my home. My husband and I are having Thanksgiving dinner a little early (tomorrow Sunday)- we invited (actually they invited themselves but that's another story)--- my stepson and his girlfriend. they are vaccinated, but her job is in a hospital where she is exposed obviously to sick people. I don't know if they have had a booster. She is immunocompromised due the fact she had cancer with chemo and radiation a year ago. I just got my booster shot on Wednesday, which will make it five days at the point we have dinner tomorrow- From what I have read, it appears that the booster begins to take effect from 7 days onward. If I could get out of this situation I would but I simply cannot. Am I over reacting, because honestly I am very concerned. Up to this moment I have done everything I can to avoid the virus: I mask up when going grocery shopping and basically stay home most of the time. We have not had any company in our home since the pandemic began. After all I have gone thru I would be so upset to contract the virus now.

Hi, neighbor. Thank you for sharing your concerns. I have anxiety under "normal" circumstances, and Covid has made me even more anxious. Even though I'm vaccinated and boosted, I'm still apprehensive about being out where they are a lot of people. We noticed yesterday that most people were wearing masks at Party City and Nino Salvaggio, so it seems that folks got the MDHHS memo about resuming masks indoors. I'm a bit apprehensive about hosting Thanksgiving and don't want to tell our 33-year-old nephew that he can't come because he isn't vaccinated and doesn't plan to get the shots. He lives in Port Huron and doesn't have transportation, so he has to get to his mom's for a ride here. My sister wants to come on Wednesday to help me prep dinner, but nephew doesn't really want to spend the night here. He changes his mind on a daily basis, so I am trying not to worry too much about whether he'll actually come or not.

DH's former and late boss used to have a saying that "the more you worry about something, the less you actually need to". For some reason, I have always remembered him saying that to me, and it almost always turns out to be true. Please try not to stress out too much about your Thanksgiving dinner. DH and I had our boosters on Tuesday and feel that we'll be fully protected by next Thursday.

They are telling you to mask up in your own home? With just you and hubby?
Or when having family or friends over?
We wear masks at home indoors whenever anyone comes into the house that is outside our “bubble” - unless we can socially distance.
We’ve had neighbors and friends come visit, we sit outside, spaced out a little and have a bottle of wine and a snack.
Family outside the bubble and don’t know their Covid protocol - I’ve asked for them to be tested prior to their arrival at my parent’s house.

I’d be concerned too. But I’m a bit of an over thinker. Not knowing how long it’s been since their initial shot or shots and working in a hospital environment. Does your stepson work from home? I found out that my idea of being “careful” can vary greatly from other family members lol
JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members