Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #101

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are telling you to mask up in your own home? With just you and hubby?
Or when having family or friends over?
We wear masks at home indoors whenever anyone comes into the house that is outside our “bubble” - unless we can socially distance.
We’ve had neighbors and friends come visit, we sit outside, spaced out a little and have a bottle of wine and a snack.
Family outside the bubble and don’t know their Covid protocol - I’ve asked for them to be tested prior to their arrival at my parent’s house.

I’d be concerned too. But I’m a bit of an over thinker. Not knowing how long it’s been since their initial shot or shots and working in a hospital environment. Does your stepson work from home? Their idea of being “careful” can vary greatly from yours.
JMO

They both work outside the home. Yes, the CDC recommends that in Michigan we mask up even with vaccinated family for Thanksgiving. It is too cold here to do anything outdoors.

Okay- I am freaking out--- First let me say I am in Southeast Michigan- Michigan has the most cases of Covid in this country. They are recommending that we mask up indoors even if we are vaccinated- I am not going to wear a mask in my home. My husband and I are having Thanksgiving dinner a little early (tomorrow Sunday)- we invited (actually they invited themselves but that's another story)--- my stepson and his girlfriend. they are vaccinated, but her job is in a hospital where she is exposed obviously to sick people. I don't know if they have had a booster. She is immunocompromised due the fact she had cancer with chemo and radiation a year ago. I just got my booster shot on Wednesday, which will make it five days at the point we have dinner tomorrow- From what I have read, it appears that the booster begins to take effect from 7 days onward. If I could get out of this situation I would but I simply cannot. Am I over reacting, because honestly I am very concerned. Up to this moment I have done everything I can to avoid the virus: I mask up when going grocery shopping and basically stay home most of the time. We have not had any company in our home since the pandemic began. After all I have gone thru I would be so upset to contract the virus now.

I'm a lifelong NYer and as you'll recall, NYC was the epicenter when Covid really took off in the U.S. That was before vaccines and all we had was masks, washing washing washing, and staying home. Even though I’ve had three Moderna shots since then, I still stay home, avoid crowds and wear my mask anywhere I go, so I do understand.

I know it’s Michigan and late November but I would suggest you open whatever windows you can as long as you have safe heaters to warm up indoors. Or do you have an air filtration machine? I ordered one immediately in spring 2020, with the HEPA filter. I would run that if you can’t open the windows. I would also have your guests sanitize right when they come in, before they touch anything.

When I had my booster the pharmacist said two weeks, but all the doctors on the news lately have been saying the booster immunity is sooner than that. I don’t have a link but I’m talking about doctors who’ve appeared on the Today show.

Since you’re committed to this I would say relax that you have five days worth of extra immunity, which is great, and again try to get air flow if you can. Then enjoy your family and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

We wear masks at home indoors whenever anyone comes into the house that is outside our “bubble” - unless we can socially distance.
We’ve had neighbors and friends come visit, we sit outside, spaced out a little and have a bottle of wine and a snack.
Family outside the bubble and don’t know their Covid protocol - I’ve asked for them to be tested prior to their arrival at my parent’s house.

I’d be concerned too. But I’m a bit of an over thinker. Not knowing how long it’s been since their initial shot or shots and working in a hospital environment. Does your stepson work from home? I found out that my idea of being “careful” can vary greatly from other family members lol
JMO

I have my husband at a point where I think he would cancel the dinner but I want him to do it diplomatically and he won't- he could say Marilyn isn't feeling well so it is probably better if we don't have dinner tomorrow- instead he will say Marilyn is worried, blah blah blah, and his son already hates me--- and will see me as the grinch that spoiled Xmas!

I’d be concerned too. But I’m a bit of an over thinker. Not knowing how long it’s been since their initial shot or shots and working in a hospital environment. Does your stepson work from home? I found out that my idea of being “careful” can vary greatly from other family members lol
JMO

I have my husband at a point where I think he would cancel the dinner but I want him to do it diplomatically and he won't- he could say Marilyn isn't feeling well so it is probably better if we don't have dinner tomorrow- instead he will say Marilyn is worried, blah blah blah, and his son already hates me--- and will see me as the grinch that spoiled Xmas!

"The Grinch that spoiled Xmas" is exactly how I'm feeling with talks of Christmas travel coming up yesterday. I totally get that.

Since the Detroit metropolitan public health authorities are concerned about the high spread of covid right now, it would seem reasonable to state that you are following their guidelines and isolating right now with your own household bubble, and for safety reasons, you hope that they can do the same. Perhaps you can prepare the Thanksgivng dinner as planned, and deliver it in a nice basket to their home, so that they can enjoy a nice dinner from you and your husband, and that when things improve and the positivity rate goes down in Michigan, you can all get together then. That might be one approach.

If you do decide to have them over for dinner, you can wear a mask, even if they don''t. Just say you are following CDC and Michigan public health guidelines, given the transmission rate right now in your state.

I know this all is easier said than done. But I hope you can find a way to decrease the anxiety you are feeling right now.

Also, we have to remember that the studies that say that booster shot effectiveness starts to show up at day 7, this is the day they started to measure it. They may not have measured at day 5. It didn''t start to work on day 7, it was building up to day 7. So at day 5 you also have some protection.

I have also been careful about people coming in to our bubble, but we have had to have people come in to fix the furnace (they were here for about an hour, in and out, and I was down in the basement with them in close proximity, no masks at all) and this was before the booster shot during the month of October. We also had a neighbor help us with some drywall on the ceiling of our garage (had to take some down as we had a water leak from the bathtub above the garage), and we all worked together for almost two hours, with his kids in and out, and none of them wear masks and are very active in sports, etc. This was in late September, we had the garage door open, but were all in close proximity to get the job done. We were all okay, although I was very worried after the fact.

Or when having family or friends over?...

Michigan health officials: Face masks recommended at all indoor gatherings amid COVID surge (clickondetroit.com)

MDHHS urges face masks amid holiday season, virus spike

...“The increases in case counts, percent positivity and hospitalizations have us very concerned,” said MDHHS director Elizabeth Hertel. “We are issuing the face mask advisory and are looking to Michiganders to do their part to help protect their friends, their families and their communities by wearing a mask in indoor settings and getting vaccinated for COVID-19 and flu as soon as possible if they have not already done so.”...

I feel for you so much. I wouldnt be worried for ourselves although we are definitely still being cautious - havent eaten out for more than a year, as an example. But my mum I think has similar worries to yourself. She has started saying to people "I'm sorry, but my anxiety gets in the way of me doing that" which has been helpful to her. We've invited them for Christmas, which they have declined for that reason.

The problem is, you can't measure whether the anxiety is unfounded or not because, and this wont help with yours I know, you just dont know if that one contact could have consequences.

I think if they can self test beforehand that is a v good idea. Ventilation I agree is another great suggestion. Dont hug, distance your places at table, and control what you can I think.

My mum worries about covid and I worry that they are not able to have any fun in their later years. Minimising and assessing risk as best you can, whilst hopefully finding a balance is going to be important for us all going forward.

Since the Detroit metropolitan public health authorities are concerned about the high spread of covid right now, it would seem reasonable to state that you are following their guidelines and isolating right now with your own household bubble, and for safety reasons, you hope that they can do the same. Perhaps you can prepare the Thanksgivng dinner as planned, and deliver it in a nice basket to their home, so that they can enjoy a nice dinner from you and your husband, and that when things improve and the positivity rate goes down in Michigan, you can all get together then. That might be one approach.

If you do decide to have them over for dinner, you can wear a mask, even if they don''t. Just say you are following CDC and Michigan public health guidelines, given the transmission rate right now in your state.

I know this all is easier said than done. But I hope you can find a way to decrease the anxiety you are feeling right now.

Also, we have to remember that the studies that say that booster shot effectiveness starts to show up at day 7, this is the day they started to measure it. They may not have measured at day 5. It didn''t start to work on day 7, it was building up to day 7. So at day 5 you also have some protection.

I have also been careful about people coming in to our bubble, but we have had to have people come in to fix the furnace (they were here for about an hour, in and out, and I was down in the basement with them in close proximity, no masks at all) and this was before the booster shot during the month of October. We also had a neighbor help us with some drywall on the ceiling of our garage (had to take some down as we had a water leak from the bathtub above the garage), and we all worked together for almost two hours, with his kids in and out, and none of them wear masks and are very active in sports, etc. This was in late September, we had the garage door open, but were all in close proximity to get the job done. We were all okay, although I was very worried after the fact.

Well, problem solved: I sweetly and quietly ( no hysterics), convinced my husband that we should not have them over tomorrow for Thanksgiving dinner. My husband loved your idea about taking food to them!!! that seemed to really get him to agree with me. I feel much better now---

Well, problem solved: I sweetly and quietly ( no hysterics), convinced my husband that we should not have them over tomorrow for Thanksgiving dinner. My husband loved your idea about taking food to them!!! that seemed to really get him to agree with me. I feel much better now---
Woohoo!!! Glad to hear it

So glad to hear that your dilemma is resolved and that your anxiety will be greatly reduced :) I'm glad that you shared your concerns here and that someone suggested a remedy. Websleuths has such wonderful people!

So glad to hear that your dilemma is resolved and that your anxiety will be greatly reduced :) I'm glad that you shared your concerns here and that someone suggested a remedy. Websleuths has such wonderful people!

I know- I love the people here- so caring, compassionate (and intelligent).
I really made an effort not to get hysterical with my husband--- just remained calm and explained my concerns. I am so glad he was willing to cancel the dinner because I know he was so looking forward to seeing his son. Thank you for your kind thoughts.

I feel for you so much. I wouldnt be worried for ourselves although we are definitely still being cautious - havent eaten out for more than a year, as an example. But my mum I think has similar worries to yourself. She has started saying to people "I'm sorry, but my anxiety gets in the way of me doing that" which has been helpful to her. We've invited them for Christmas, which they have declined for that reason.

The problem is, you can't measure whether the anxiety is unfounded or not because, and this wont help with yours I know, you just dont know if that one contact could have consequences.

I think if they can self test beforehand that is a v good idea. Ventilation I agree is another great suggestion. Dont hug, distance your places at table, and control what you can I think.

My mum worries about covid and I worry that they are not able to have any fun in their later years. Minimising and assessing risk as best you can, whilst hopefully finding a balance is going to be important for us all going forward.

Thank you so much for your caring thoughts. I cannot imagine sitting around the dinner table with the windows wide open (freezing to death LOL), with masks on for Thanksgiving dinner. It truly would be un-fun. I think the risk is just too great right now for family get togethers, though we know that won't stop millions of people from doing just that!!!!

Take care of yourself: I think of you often and hope that your health continues to improve!!!

Thank you so much for your caring thoughts. I cannot imagine sitting around the dinner table with the windows wide open (freezing to death LOL), with masks on for Thanksgiving dinner. It truly would be un-fun. I think the risk is just too great right now for family get togethers, though we know that won't stop millions of people from doing just that!!!!

Take care of yourself: I think of you often and hope that your health continues to improve!!!
We're all in this together! Xx

I'm a lifelong NYer and as you'll recall, NYC was the epicenter when Covid really took off in the U.S. That was before vaccines and all we had was masks, washing washing washing, and staying home. Even though I’ve had three Moderna shots since then, I still stay home, avoid crowds and wear my mask anywhere I go, so I do understand.

I know it’s Michigan and late November but I would suggest you open whatever windows you can as long as you have safe heaters to warm up indoors. Or do you have an air filtration machine? I ordered one immediately in spring 2020, with the HEPA filter. I would run that if you can’t open the windows. I would also have your guests sanitize right when they come in, before they touch anything.

When I had my booster the pharmacist said two weeks, but all the doctors on the news lately have been saying the booster immunity is sooner than that. I don’t have a link but I’m talking about doctors who’ve appeared on the Today show.

Since you’re committed to this I would say relax that you have five days worth of extra immunity, which is great, and again try to get air flow if you can. Then enjoy your family and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

wishing you a happy Thanksgiving too!

That's a great solution! Happy Thanksgiving!

...I know it’s Michigan and late November but I would suggest you open whatever windows you can as long as you have safe heaters to warm up indoors. Or do you have an air filtration machine? I ordered one immediately in spring 2020, with the HEPA filter. I would run that if you can’t open the windows. I would also have your guests sanitize right when they come in, before they touch anything...

That is a brilliant suggestion! We bought an air purifier at the beginning of the pandemic. We keep it in the master bedroom but can easily relocate the unit if necessary. We will move it to the kitchen/dining area on Thanksgiving where everyone will gather for dinner. We have never allowed anyone to smoke in our home and usually make smokers go down the basement. There isn't enough "seating" in the basement, so if it's not too cold, they can sit on the deck. I will ask my sister to bring her space heater that we can plug in outdoors as long as there's no precipitation. I have several fleecy throws to sit on or bundle up. It's supposed to be @45* in metro Detroit on Thanksgiving, and with a 5-month-old baby here, I don't think we'll want to open windows.

LOL I was just about to say “So what if sonny hates you and sees you as the Grinch. Better a Grinch than an intubated Marilyn!” :mad: So I’m glad you were able to present the idea that your husband loved and will keep you safe and anxiety free. Good for you! But we need to be unafraid to make enemies when push comes to shove IMO. If someone is going to be mad at me because I don’t want to risk having them in my home they aren’t true family or friends. Again JMO.

Hugs! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member