Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #101

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it also shows our infection rate is still pretty high, not that much below the likes of Germany and Austria really. One difference in the UK is we lifted restrictions sooner than some countries, while it was still the summer school holidays and while people were spending more time outdoors. It's a bit early to know but I think some are thinking/hoping that we have already had our 4th wave ahead of Europe.

Time will tell. Personally I think we should have kept some rules in place - at least compulsory masks on public transport and in supermarkets.
I agree, particularly re masks on public transport. Mr HKP tells me that regular commuters on his route generally wear masks. The problem comes when he has to take non-commuter routes, e.g. when he had to work on Sunday. That train was packed with people, few wearing masks. Seems people think they'll be ok if the trip is for leisure! Madness.

New York State
Masks again required in western NY county as virus spreads

more at link
County Executive Mark Poloncarz said if the mask mandate doesn't work by mid-December, the county will require vaccine mandates for indoor dining.

Erie County, home to the city of Buffalo, recorded 456 new cases per 100,000 residents over the past seven days, more than quadruple the federal government's threshold for high transmission, according to Poloncarz.

"This is one of the largest seven-day periods we've ever seen," Poloncarz said in a virtual briefing Monday.

I agree, particularly re masks on public transport. Mr HKP tells me that regular commuters on his route generally wear masks. The problem comes when he has to take non-commuter routes, e.g. when he had to work on Sunday. That train was packed with people, few wearing masks. Seems people think they'll be ok if the trip is for leisure! Madness.

It is madness at times the inconsistencies, like people we've spoken to who do wear masks in certain places, but not in others where there's probably more risk (but more peer pressure not to due to others not doing).

Just realised I made the mistake of speaking for the whole of the UK when I meant England - masks are still compulsory on public transport in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland I believe.

Well, problem solved: I sweetly and quietly ( no hysterics), convinced my husband that we should not have them over tomorrow for Thanksgiving dinner. My husband loved your idea about taking food to them!!! that seemed to really get him to agree with me. I feel much better now---

Our potential Thanksgiving dilemma has also been resolved. Our nephew is not vaccinated - and has no intention of ever getting vaccinated - and we were a little hesitant about having him here on Turkey Day. No one is going to make a round trip on Thanksgiving Day to pick him up in Port Huron and take him home because he doesn't want to ride here or stay overnight with my sister (his mom) who is coming tomorrow to help with meal prep.

Last edited:
Our potential Thanksgiving dilemma has also been resolved. Our nephew is not vaccinated - and has no intention of ever getting vaccinated - and we were a little hesitant about having here on Turkey Day. No one is going to make a round trip on Thanksgiving Day to pick him up in Port Huron and take him home because he doesn't want to ride here or stay overnight with my sister (his mom) who is coming tomorrow to help with meal prep.

Glad to hear your problem has been resolved!!!! Sometimes these issues somehow can resolve themselves!

The Generosity and Giving 2021 survey which consisted of 1,500 people polled in November found that 58 per cent of Canadians plan to only celebrate with guests who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Nearly 9 per cent say they plan to ask their guests to take a COVID-19 test before arriving, regardless of their vaccination status. One in five, or 21 per cent, feel anxious about hosting guests during the holidays because of health concerns.

More than half of Canadians will only invite fully vaccinated guests for the holidays, new survey finds

Serious question. Are we at the point where an average of 1,000+ Deaths per Day is acceptable?

Because we have been at that level for every single day since August 17th.

Is everybody comfortable with 350,000+ Americans dying each year from Covid?

Given that it appears like many feel the pandemic is over, if 350,000+ Deaths from Covid each year is considered "over," then I suppose we have entered the acceptance phase, and should be prepared for what the future holds.

I am amazed at people who are living life just like the Pandemic never happened. There was a crowded craft show here in town, I did not attend, but they showed it on the news. No masks, people crowded around, children, adults, all in a small size convention center, that was built in 1905, zero air circulation...

Insanity reigns.

I have been vaccinated, received a booster, wear a mask everywhere, and still live my life very much in "pandemic" mode. I have zero desire to end my life on a ventilator.

Last edited:
Nursing home residents overlooked in scramble for Covid antibody treatments
Much More at link
Quick access to the treatment is essential to prevent hospitalizations in particularly vulnerable patients.

Across the country, medical directors of skilled nursing and long-term care sites say they’ve been scrambling to obtain doses of the potent antibody therapies following a change in federal policy that critics say limits supplies for the vulnerable population of frail and elder residents who remain at highest risk of Covid infection even after vaccination.

“There are people dying in nursing homes right now, and we don’t know whether or not they could have been saved, but they didn’t have access to the product,” said Chad Worz, CEO of the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists, which represents 1,500 pharmacies that serve long-term care sites.

This is new
And sort of surprising as I didn’t expect any current covid related
Actions from the state really *shrug*
Also- it’s not that difficult for surgeons/hospitals to continue to do “essential” surgeries. Even if they’re really not essential. Surgery is a big money maker.

Mass. Moves to Preserve Hospital Capacity Amid Strains on Health Care System

Starting next week, any Massachusetts hospital or hospital system with limited capacity will have to reduce previously scheduled procedures deemed non-essential and non-urgent, the Baker administration announced Tuesday.

The guidance is meant to preserve hospital capacity amid staffing shortages amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

"The current strain on hospital capacity is due to longer than average hospital stays and significant workforce shortages, separate and apart from the challenges brought on by COVID,” Secretary of Health and Human Services Marylou Sudders said in a statement.

She added that the commonwealth's hospitalizations from COVID are lower than almost every other state in the nation, but noted that "this order will ensure hospitals can serve all residents, including those who require treatment for COVID-19."

As of Monday, 88% of Massachusetts' medical and surgical beds were occupied and 80% of the beds in its intensive care units were occupied, according to the Department of Public Health.

.gov press
Baker-Polito Administration Announces Updated Guidance to Preserve Hospital Capacity and Healthcare Workforce

Last edited:
Serious question. Are we at the point where an average of 1,000+ Deaths per Day is acceptable?

Because we have been at that level for every single day since August 17th.

Is everybody comfortable with 350,000+ Americans dying each year from Covid?

Given that it appears like many feel the pandemic is over, if 350,000+ Deaths from Covid each year is considered "over," then I suppose we have entered the acceptance phase, and should be prepared for what the future holds.

Is there any data on what percentage of those are vaccinated? I'm in the UK, and while I don't have hard figures to back it up yet, there is anecdotal evidence coming out now from within the NHS (I published some links earlier) that the covid cases in our ICUs are mainly unvaccinated individuals.

Any death is unacceptable, but to me that's also unacceptable from the point of view of the strain it places on the health service and the ensuing risk that poses for others (eg. health workers and people with other illnesses who may need the beds).

I am amazed at people who are living life just like the Pandemic never happened. There was a crowded craft show here in town, I did not attend, but they showed it on the news. No masks, people crowded around, children, adults, all in a small size convention center, that was built in 1905, zero air circulation...

Insanity reigns.

I have been vaccinated, received a booster, wear a mask everywhere, and still live my life very much in "pandemic" mode. I have zero desire to end my life on a ventilator.

To me not getting vaccinated, or taking no precautions in crowded situations, also seems insane.

I am told by some around me that I have tended to err on the cautious side in this, but sometimes when I hear of people with no underlying health issues who are double/triple vacced, and are living in almost total hiding from the world/the virus that also seems a bit extreme to me.

There has to be a sensible point somewhere in the middle. JMO.

Insanity reigns.

Yup, I’m also not ready for a ventilator! WTH is wrong with people?

To me not getting vaccinated, or taking no precautions in crowded situations, also seems insane.

I am told by some around me that I have tended to err on the cautious side in this, but sometimes when I hear of people with no underlying health issues who are double/triple vacced, and are living in almost total hiding from the world/the virus that also seems a bit extreme to me.

There has to be a sensible point somewhere in the middle. JMO.

Oh, I still have to go to work every day, attend church.

Covid vaccine that creates T-cells ‘gives better immune response than current jabs’

A new vaccine designed to specifically create T-cells against Covid produces a better immune response than the alternatives already in use, according to trial data.

The CoVac-1 jab has been developed and made by academics at the University of Tubingen, in Germany.

The cells form part of the immune response to protect people against infections and often work in tandem with antibodies. However, while antibody levels often decline over time and need boosting, T-cells have the ability to stay in the bloodstream for several years.

Evidence is emerging that T-cell levels from vaccines may be key in conferring long-term protection against Covid, but studying the level of them in a person's system is difficult.

Covid vaccine that creates T-cells ‘gives better immune response than current jabs’

A new vaccine designed to specifically create T-cells against Covid produces a better immune response than the alternatives already in use, according to trial data.

The CoVac-1 jab has been developed and made by academics at the University of Tubingen, in Germany.

The cells form part of the immune response to protect people against infections and often work in tandem with antibodies. However, while antibody levels often decline over time and need boosting, T-cells have the ability to stay in the bloodstream for several years.

Evidence is emerging that T-cell levels from vaccines may be key in conferring long-term protection against Covid, but studying the level of them in a person's system is difficult.

Interesting, as I just read this article about how Astra Zeneca stimulates the TCell response:

AstraZeneca vaccine may give longer protection that is shielding UK from new Covid wave

Interesting, as I just read this article about how Astra Zeneca stimulates the TCell response:

AstraZeneca vaccine may give longer protection that is shielding UK from new Covid wave

That's great, backs up something I read earlier in the week about Pfizer being better for antibodies and AZ for t-cells/memory cells.

"New estimates from the Office for National Statistics and the Covid Infection Survey show that over nine in 10 adults across the UK have antibodies to Covid." - wow really? Presumably that's antibodies from the vaccine as well as recovered infections?

ETA: doh, has to be from the vaccine can't be 9/10 have had covid :oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads