Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
early in the fall, I thought I might "treat myself" to a new door... called in early November... they got back to me in late December... not only was the cost about 380% more than I ever anticipated (!) (ouch)... they said to order the actual door would take until April. I decided to skip the whole thing and hope for better pricing later.
I was stunned by the quotes I was getting. And I know plumbers aren’t cheap but I thought I was being punked by the first guy. And then I kept getting the same $$ amount /scheduling from others. Did eventually find a deal and quick service from a decent guy whom I’ll recommend every chance I get.

Just as long as these people are ready to be infected and possibly die, if they are vulnerable.

yeah... it all seems fine until someone drops in their tracks... I am pretty old and still working- they have had us work at home, partially in the office, back full time, then partially out again. some of my younger coworkers think all this stuff in nonsense. I no longer have any sense of whether I am safe or in danger in any particular situation.

I mostly wear a mask or 2 in all public indoor spaces but agree that even with good hearing, speech is muffled and I have had misunderstandings a few times because of the masks. I did finally get a nose pimple with the KN95 recently but otherwise the two masks are OK.

One of my friends has a resurgence of cancer after 7 yrs- will need chemo again and is not happy about being immunocompromised in the current environment.

I think after all the COVID ups and downs, I not only have no personal sense of my own risk- I have minimal faith that the pubic health officials have it right.

Got our FREE, government issued tests today. Never heard of the company. Too tired to bother looking them up. Anyway, thanks for the heads up about free tests Katy23.

For those who are interested in immunology, TWIV 855 with Alessandro Settle deals with the T response, and TWIV 857, with Jon Yewdell, discusses B cells. Both shows are quite complex, but the information is great IMO. ETA, I found the first episode a little harder to get through, and the second slightly easier, but both were very interesting, and I plan to re-listen.

Last edited:
Apologizing up front for horrible formatting and probably clarity

I started wearing a surgical mask at work September 2019 as flu and other seasonal funk ramped up.

Doubled surgical masks starting in February probably because of info on these threads. Masks were prohibited in most of the building late feb early March iirc ( when covid first went public) I wore mine anyway. I’m a rebel.

I’ve been wearing 95s topped with a surgical mask since sometime in 2020? Thanks
( I’m curious now and will have to look and see if I can find when I started doing so- really regret not journaling all this time)

added goggles 11/2020

Work 8-12 hours a day plus short public transport ride. Along with the facial indents I occasionally have a bloody nose bridge. It comes and goes.

I *personally* have no issues with it. I also haven’t caught covid.

I highly recommend the 3m auras. I huge difference from the green ones (idr the brand) that we saw most hc workers using back in the beginning. There are several different n95 options now vs then. Thank goodness.

Work is currently (in some areas) requiring the white industrial -one size for everyone no fit test required- 95s. Upgrading from surgical mask requirement as of a few weeks ago.
To try and reduce spread between employees and spread from employees to “customers”

A month too late imo omicron and the holiday spread was already surging through the building and local community

And they’re not being worn Because they’re so Uncomfortable. So pointless and probably worse than requiring surgical masks.

[bbm]
where were masks prohibited??

I know it's not ideal but sometimes there is no other way. My sister is completely deaf and relies totally on lipreading. She can't understand anything when someone is wearing a mask. Sometimes people put on clear face shields when talking to her but they aren't great either for preventing infection and the person may not always have one. If it is an important conversation and the interaction is kept as brief as possible, I think it is the lesser of two evils. My sister will remain masked at least while the other person speaks clearly and keeps their distance. If there is no leeway, it is difficult for her to cope in society. Obviously for everyday things like food shopping she does not need a worker to be unmasked to deal with her. It would only be for important stuff.

pen and paper or notes on phone could work?

I was stunned by the quotes I was getting. And I know plumbers aren’t cheap but I thought I was being punked by the first guy. And then I kept getting the same $$ amount /scheduling from others. Did eventually find a deal and quick service from a decent guy whom I’ll recommend every chance I get.

we were planning a complete bathroom, kitchen, and back porch remodel and have just been putting it off because we know it will be difficult and expensive - hoping at some point for the prices to get affordable again

Last edited:
[bbm]
where were masks prohibited??
Health care place. Unless you were in the act of “performing direct covid patient care” or something like that . IDR the exact wording.

it felt like - along with probably a supply thing - it was also perception thing. Nothing to see here folks. But moo.

Last edited:
Orangeville hospital using kitchen staff to assist with nursing shortage: union | CityNews Toronto

Now obviously the dishwashers aren’t pushing meds. But around here the transporters who normally “move people around the building” at least have BLS training.

They call it “all hands on deck”
I’ve personally heard that phrase thrown around a few times.
Imo scary times. ( at least here in US I did see this is CA and I’ve not been following their hc situation closely)

In our state, the national guard were deployed to many of our hospitals with the most urgent need - helping with these kinds of things, moving people around the building, helping with discharge, etc. The hospitals have really needed the help, and have been thankful for it. The Cleveland Clinic hospital, for example, needed help during the height of the delta and omicron surge, and the national guard were deployed to help.

In our state, the national guard were deployed to many of our hospitals with the most urgent need - helping with these kinds of things, moving people around the building, helping with discharge, etc. The hospitals have really needed the help, and have been thankful for it. The Cleveland Clinic hospital, for example, needed help during the height of the delta and omicron surge, and the national guard were deployed to help.

Same here in Oregon. A friend of mine spent a couple of days at our small local hospital recently following surgery, and a member of the Oregon National Guard delivered one of her meals.

They’re helping in hospitals Here as well (New England states)
They’ve Also been driving school transportation and I think they’ll be substitute teaching soon as well.

unfortunately there’s still a huge shortage of medical people (nurses get the most press attention but others as well) that can’t be replaced by bodies without medical training

Last edited:
Here as well (New England states)
They’ve Also been driving school transportation and I think they’ll be substitute teaching soon as well.

unfortunately there’s still a huge shortage of medical people (nurses get the most press attention but others as well) that can’t be replaced by bodies without medical training

My DIL works at a New England hospital, and she told us that they are getting help from the National Guard too. What crazy times we live in.

Our daughter, fully vaccinated and boosted, tested positive today. :(
Right now she is only experiencing a very sore throat and headache. I pray that is the extent of what she will experience. She is an adult, no longer living at home, so we have not been around her for a couple weeks. She is pretty certain she contracted it at work since a couple co-workers had it last week.

Right now she is only experiencing a very sore throat and headache. I pray that is the extent of what she will experience. She is an adult, no longer living at home, so we have not been around her for a couple weeks. She is pretty certain she contracted it at work since a couple co-workers had it last week.

Sorry to hear this. I hope she will have only mild symptoms and recover quickly.

Orangeville hospital using kitchen staff to assist with nursing shortage: union | CityNews Toronto

Now obviously the dishwashers aren’t pushing meds. But around here the transporters who normally “move people around the building” at least have BLS training.

They call it “all hands on deck”
I’ve heard that phrase thrown around a few times.
Imo scary times. ( at least here in US I did see this is CA and I’ve not been following their hc situation closely)
It's the same at my hospital. ALL staff must be BLS trained & certified to work in any position at our facility.

I'm sorry to hear this Tiff! I hope she recovers quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid