Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #107

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87 Thread #88 Thread #89 Thread #90 Thread #91 Thread #92 Thread #93 Thread #94 Thread #95 Thread #96 Thread #97 Thread #98 Thread #99 Thread #100 Thread #101 Thread #102 Thread #103 Thread #104 Thread #105 Thread #106

PLEASE NOTE:

Tricia set up the Covid forum for people who are genuinely concerned about Covid-19. It is not for anyone who is here with a view to minimizing its existence or downplaying the severity of it. Please know that MSM, scientists, politicians, government agencies worldwide are not involved in the biggest conspiracy in the history of man to convey the pandemic as more serious than it is.

If you aren't concerned about Covid-19, this Covid forum is not for you. There are lots of other Websleuths threads you can participate in that need your help.

Members whose posts seem designed to downplay the seriousness of the virus or the pandemic may experience a loss of posting privileges, whether a Thread Reply Ban or Time Out of minimum 1 week up to 3 months from the Websleuths forum.

Sillybilly
WS Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw the gastroenterologist last month, she mentioned that I could try probiotics as some patients feel that they help. I got a package with my OTC allowance, so it was free. I used the product for 10 days and did not like the side effects. I'll spare the details, but the caplets made me very uncomfortable :eek: Thanks for your good wishes.
I started probiotics about 6 months ago after a medical issue. I eat Greek yogurt daily to add probiotics to my diet but also take a supplement. It took me trying several probiotic brands to find one that worked well with my system. It causes me no side effects at all so I take it daily.

I started probiotics about 6 months ago after a medical issue. I eat Greek yogurt daily to add probiotics to my diet but also take a supplement. It took me trying several probiotic brands to find one that worked well with my system. It causes me no side effects at all so I take it daily.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ate yogurt daily for years but can't tolerate most dairy these days. When I talk to the gastro after my procedures, I will ask her for advice about probiotics if warranted.

Please continue here…

Thanks @Tiff23fr. How is your daughter doing a few days on? Hope she’s feeling a bit better.

We’ve just passed the TWO YEAR anniversary of @Amonet starting these threads; from just a mildly concerning Asian flu virus to 2+ years of chaos, illness and restrictions on everyday lives across the entire world.

Who’d have thunk it back in thread #1?
Not me, I was giving it a few weeks max.

I take a gummie probiotics dai
I take probiotic gummies daily as well. And fiber gummies. And apple cider/ginger gummies. My body has adjusted to all this, thankfully.

Gummies also make your fingernails stronger, if that's a desired side effect. Plus I view them as a treat, sort of like gummie bears. :)

ETA, They are pricey little buggers though. jmo fyi

Thanks @Tiff23fr. How is your daughter doing a few days on? Hope she’s feeling a bit better.

We’ve just passed the TWO YEAR anniversary of @Amonet starting these threads; from just a mildly concerning Asian flu virus to 2+ years of chaos, illness and restrictions on everyday lives across the entire world.

Who’d have thunk it back in thread #1?
Not me, I was giving it a few weeks max.

Thanks for asking. The sore throat has subsided, but she feels extremely exhausted. She said she has never felt exhaustion the way she is feeling it this week. Her fiancé remains symptom free at this time.

I did not think when this began we would be where we are today. I felt it was going to be serious, but my mind never progressed to one year, two years, etc.

Thanks for asking. The sore throat has subsided, but she feels extremely exhausted. She said she has never felt exhaustion the way she is feeling it this week. Her fiancé remains symptom free at this time.

I did not think when this began we would be where we are today. I felt it was going to be serious, but my mind never progressed to one year, two years, etc.
I’m sorry she is still suffering with the exhaustion. Please tell her to rest as long as she can.

I saw a neighbour today and she asked me how the long Covid tired felt. I said the most I can compare it to is the weird early weeks pregnancy tiredness that I remember from many years ago. Ohhhh, she said, the “wall of tired”. I thought that explained it really well!

I agonized somewhat over starting this thread. I really don't like starting threads. And I didn't want to look like I was spreading fear stuff.

But what it said in the quotes in the first post, that those numbers coming out were the tip of the iceberg, that is how it seemed to be. It seemed to be spreading too fast and too far for those figures to be correct.

Although looking back on it I can see the potential for it going global, I didn't realise it would happen so fast or what the consequences would be. I never imagined 'lockdowns' in countries like the UK!

I dunno what else to say other than that I was so impressed at the quality of posts that started turning up within a few days, and I'm stunned that what I thought was going to be a flash in the pan thread of a couple of pages ended up like this.

It's all so crazy when you think of it how we felt about the possibility of a pandemic before and then how it's actually happened, and all the people affected so deeply by it :(

Last edited:
I agonized somewhat over starting this thread. I really don't like starting threads. And I didn't want to look like I was spreading fear stuff.

But what it said in the quotes in the first post, that those numbers coming out were the tip of the iceberg, that is how it seemed to be. It seemed to be spreading too fast and too far for those figures to be correct.

Although looking back on it I can see the potential for it going global, I didn't realise it would happen so fast or what the consequences would be. I never imagined 'lockdowns' in countries like the UK!

I dunno what else to say other than that I was so impressed at the quality of posts that started turning up within a few days, and I'm stunned that what I thought was going to be a flash in the pan thread of a couple of pages ended up like this.

It's all so crazy when you think of it how we felt about the possibility of a pandemic before and then how it's actually happened, and all the people affected so deeply by it :(

You did a good thing! You had more of an instinct than you realized at the time. Thanks for starting this forum...thread 107 so far.

Well, I've just returned from my long-dreaded pulmonologist appointment. I've gone to this doctor for years upon years. He is often cited in NY Magazine's annual roundup of "Best Doctors in NYC." But I was pretty shaken.

I wore gloves and a KN95 with a cloth mask with filter over it. I asked the receptionist the other day if everyone is masked and she assured me they were. That was not the case, though. The guy who does the pulmonary respiration test had his mask on his chin. I told him he's scaring me but he ignored me. Two other staff members had their noses exposed. Two patients in the waiting room also had their noses uncovered.

I didn't do the pulmonary respiration test. The doctor said I didn't need it today but he wants me in some pulmonary program he runs at a hospital. But I think he overheard me questioning his respiratory therapist and maybe that was a problem, because until today I've had that every single time.

Have to start thinking about where I'll go from here.

I'm so glad you started the thread Amonet! It's been so good to have a place to go to learn, share, support and sometimes moan about the pandemic. Thanks you!!

Day 7 since my positive home test. Ventured out to an Urgent Care facility because cough is not getting better, keeping me up at night, and I've coughed up a small amount of blood the last two mornings. Fever was also up a bit this morning. I'm also coughing up greenish/yellow sticky stuff and blowing it out my nose. Sorry if TMI. Chest X-ray confirmed clear lungs, so that's good. Dr. said I probably have a secondary sinus infection. I was given a steriod shot in the hip, amoxicillin, and a prescription for benzonatate- small, clear capsules for cough. I told her my husband, positive home test 18 days ago, was still coughing as well. She said it really hangs on for some people. I guess we're some people. Sigh. When I mentioned the extremely itchy eyes, she said that was probably allergies. Wonderful. So Covid, sinus infection, AND allergies. I'd hate to see how it would have been if we hadn't been double vaxxed and boosted.

You did a good thing! You had more of an instinct than you realized at the time. Thanks for starting this forum...thread 107 so far.

Well, I've just returned from my long-dreaded pulmonologist appointment. I've gone to this doctor for years upon years. He is often cited in NY Magazine's annual roundup of "Best Doctors in NYC." But I was pretty shaken.

I wore gloves and a KN95 with a cloth mask with filter over it. I asked the receptionist the other day if everyone is masked and she assured me they were. That was not the case, though. The guy who does the pulmonary respiration test had his mask on his chin. I told him he's scaring me but he ignored me. Two other staff members had their noses exposed. Two patients in the waiting room also had their noses uncovered.

I didn't do the pulmonary respiration test. The doctor said I didn't need it today but he wants me in some pulmonary program he runs at a hospital. But I think he overheard me questioning his respiratory therapist and maybe that was a problem, because until today I've had that every single time.

That's so odd that the staff weren't wearing masks properly. Of all places, you would think a medical facility would follow basic protocol. I'm sorry Arkay. The pulmonary program sounds like a good thing, yes?

How disappointing that one of the few places that you would expect would be vigilant is so lacksadaisical. It really defies every single thing we've been told to do to stay safe. Depressing.

I’m supposed to go to my pulmonologist next week. I am weighing what to do, because there are members of the staff who don’t wear masks. This is Florida, so even physician’s offices can’t force their employees to mask. It’s not easy to just find a new doctor - there aren’t that many to choose from in my area. I depend on them for asthma medication, though.

Day 7 since my positive home test. Ventured out to an Urgent Care facility because cough is not getting better, keeping me up at night, and I've coughed up a small amount of blood the last two mornings. Fever was also up a bit this morning. I'm also coughing up greenish/yellow sticky stuff and blowing it out my nose. Sorry if TMI. Chest X-ray confirmed clear lungs, so that's good. Dr. said I probably have a secondary sinus infection. I was given a steriod shot in the hip, amoxicillin, and a prescription for benzonatate- small, clear capsules for cough. I told her my husband, positive home test 18 days ago, was still coughing as well. She said it really hangs on for some people. I guess we're some people. Sigh. When I mentioned the extremely itchy eyes, she said that was probably allergies. Wonderful. So Covid, sinus infection, AND allergies. I'd hate to see how it would have been if we hadn't been double vaxxed and boosted.
Oh my word, I'm sorry. Hopefully improvement is quick with the rx's.

That's so odd that the staff weren't wearing masks properly. Of all places, you would think a medical facility would follow basic protocol. I'm sorry Arkay. The pulmonary program sounds like a good thing, yes?

Thank you...it does sound like a good program...it's a three-year pulmonary study.

However, I'm squeamish for three reasons:

1) Usually this doctor sends me for a CT scan in a facility two blocks from me. This hospital is far from me, and I'd have to take the subway. I haven't been on the subway since Covid. There's no parking around the hospital or that whole neighborhood. In NYC, you always have to think about the parking situation when you go anywhere.

2). I really don't want to expose myself to a hospital setting

3) I figured right away that my doctor must have some personal interest in this program since he typically sends me to the local radiology center. I looked it up, and Lo and behold, he's the program director.

Of course that doesn't mean it's not a credible and probably excellent program. But naturally when a doctor has a financial interest in a facility, I question whether I need to travel so far for medical reasons, or because the doctor just wants to expand his program.

The urgent care center I went to this morning has you call from your car in the parking lot. They check you in over the phone and take your info. You email them a copy of your insurance card later. Then they call you to come in when your room is ready. You must wear a mask. All for show though. Doctor clearly knew I was there with Covid and her blue surgical mask was sitting under her nose the whole time she was with me. What? The nurse and x-ray tech were wearing homemade cloth masks. Another doctor I know there was sitting behind the hallway desk with NO mask, along with 2 other employees. SMDH.

ETA: They said they could not confirm my home Covid test because they had no tests.

Last edited:
Thank you...it does sound like a good program...it's a three-year pulmonary study.

However, I'm squeamish for three reasons:

1) Usually this doctor sends me for a CT scan in a facility two blocks from me. This hospital is far from me, and I'd have to take the subway. I haven't been on the subway since Covid. There's no parking around the hospital or that whole neighborhood. In NYC, you always have to think about the parking situation when you go anywhere.

2). I really don't want to expose myself to a hospital setting

3) I figured right away that my doctor must have some personal interest in this program since he typically sends me to the local radiology center. I looked it up, and Lo and behold, he's the program director.

Of course that doesn't mean it's not a credible and probably excellent program. But naturally when a doctor has a financial interest in a facility, I question whether I need to travel so far for medical reasons, or because the doctor just wants to expand his program.
I totally get the desire to stay off the subway! That's a really crowded environment.

The urgent care center I went to this morning has you call from your car in the parking lot. They check you in over the phone and take your info. You email them a copy of your insurance card later. Then they call you to come in when your room is ready. You must wear a mask. All for show though. Doctor clearly knew I was there with Covid and her blue surgical mask was sitting under her nose the whole time she was with me. What? The nurse and x-ray tech were wearing homemade cloth masks. Another doctor I know there was sitting behind the hallway desk with NO mask, along with 2 other employees. SMDH.

That is berserk!

There are very few places in NYC that have a parking lot, the way strip malls do. My sister in the New Jersey suburbs does what you do, waits in the car until it's her turn, but we don't often have that option. I found a parking spot by the doctor today, but as anyone else here from NYC can tell you, that requires circling around forever until someone pulls out. Also that alternate-side parking rules are done for the day.

For the personnel in your urgent care center to be so blasé about obeying rules that keep them safe, and of course the patients safe as well, is just sickening. I had that problem with an urgent care here, and in NYC we have very strict mandates about indoor mask-wearing. Often ignored, though, and it's particularly egregious when it's a health care facility.

I have called the city hotline to lodge complaints, but nothing changes. I don't know if you'd want to, but maybe in your city there's a place to lodge a formal complaint, as well. And hopefully another urgent care that you can visit instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum