Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #107

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A second version of omicron is spreading. Here's why scientists are on alert

Just as the omicron surge starts to recede in parts of the U.S., scientists have their eye on another coronavirus variant spreading rapidly in parts of Asia and Europe. It's officially called "omicron BA.2," and this week scientists detected cases of it in several U.S. states, including California, Texas and Washington.

Although BA.2 is currently rare in the U.S., scientists expect it to spread in the country over the next month. There's growing evidence that it's just as contagious as — or possibly a bit more contagious than — the first omicron variant, called "omicron BA.1."

"It could be that BA.2 does have some small advantage," says Emma Hodcroft, an epidemiologist at the University of Bern who has been tracking variants all around the world throughout the pandemic via the Nextstrain project. "BA.2 might well be, like, 1% to 3% more transmissible, or something like that."

Adding “omicron BA.2” to variants thread, thanks @WichitaFalls

SARS-CoV-2 Variants - Coronavirus COVID-19 **NO DISCUSSION**

Last edited:
So far in this pandemic, I've had Covid19 and it took almost 3 months to get over it but kept covid fog. I then, as soon as I could, had two vaccinations. Came down with Omnicron the week after Christmas. Sniffles and slight fever. Week three, came down with painful, swollen throat and fever. The second week of January I came down with severe back pain and severe joint and muscle pain. Called doctor. He said that I have Omnicron post recovery symptoms of "back breaking back pain and severe muscle and joint pain, made worse because I have had four spinal surgeries and have arthritis and Lupus. I have been in severe pain for about a month now. The only treatment is anti-inflammatory medicine and pain meds. Doctors don't know how much longer this will go on. It's hell.

So far in this pandemic, I've had Covid19 and it took almost 3 months to get over it but kept covid fog. I then, as soon as I could, had two vaccinations. Came down with Omnicron the week after Christmas. Sniffles and slight fever. Week three, came down with painful, swollen throat and fever. The second week of January I came down with severe back pain and severe joint and muscle pain. Called doctor. He said that I have Omnicron post recovery symptoms of "back breaking back pain and severe muscle and joint pain, made worse because I have had four spinal surgeries and have arthritis and Lupus. I have been in severe pain for about a month now. The only treatment is anti-inflammatory medicine and pain meds. Doctors don't know how much longer this will go on. It's hell.
(((@lonetraveler )))

I am sorry that you continue to be feeling so unwell. Your history supports the findings mentioned in a post upthread, that having lupus may be a factor in getting long covid. I hope that you return to good health soon.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. It sounds just awful. You're the second person in less than 24 hours that's talked of the awful back pain. Wishing for much better days for you.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/25/the...be-more-contagious-than-omicron-who-says.html
Jan 25, 2022

Dr. Maria:

“While omicron appears to be less virulent than previous strains of the virus, the sheer volume of cases is crushing hospital systems worldwide.

“The next variant of concern will be more fit, and what we mean by that is it will be more transmissible because it will have to overtake what is currently circulating,” Van Kerkhove said. “The big question is whether or not future variants will be more or less severe.”

She warned against buying into theories that the virus will continue to mutate into milder strains that make people less sick than earlier variants.

“There is no guarantee of that. We hope that that is the case, but there is no guarantee of that and we can’t bank on it,” she said, noting that people should heed public safety measures in the meantime. What’s more, the next iteration of Covid may also evade vaccine protections even more, making the existing vaccines even less effective.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Last Sunday my husband met with 2 business associates from San Francisco at a restaurant in Santa Monica. They did sit on the patio but....two days later we got the call that his 2 friends had just tested positive and did have mild symptoms.

So 5 days later, my husband has no symptoms yet. He will take a home test tomorrow, just to see if he is asymptomatic. I need to know that he didnt catch anything because I am flying to my Mom's on Saturday, with our daughter. We do not want to take any virus germs to the Old Folk's home...:eek:
I'm so sorry Katydid! I seems we just can't avoid this one. It's so contagious!

New Dr. Mike article:
WHO’s Dr Mike Ryan: ‘Even if a new variant emerges, we should be alright’

“We need to be really kind to each other in the next few weeks and recognise that not everyone in Ireland will be whooping with joy [at the lifting of restrictions],” said Dr Mike Ryan, Irish-born executive director of the WHO health emergencies programme.

“For some people, re-engaging will be a really hard process. There are the wounds of Covid but there are also the wounds of isolation, anxiety and mental health difficulties. We need to look out for people in general and particularly for people who are struggling.”

Dr Ryan said predicting whether a more severe Covid-19 variant would emerge was like playing “epidemiological poker” but he doesn’t envisage further lockdowns. “The lockdown scenario is unlikely with Omicron, vaccinations and booster shots. And with the sequence of vaccines and infection, our systems develop longer-term immunity. Even if a new variant emerges, we should be alright,” he said.”

Eta: Hear that? Dr. Mike says “we should be alright” :)

For back and muscle pain anywhere, I use this gizmo sold on Amazon.
Zyllion Shiatsu Back and Neck Massager - 3D Kneading Deep Tissue Massage Pillow with Heat and AC Adapter (Wired) for Home, Office, Chair, Car, Athletes & Muscle Pain Relief - Black (ZMA-13-BK)

I'm not affiliated, just a very happy customer. I've tried different ones through the years. This is the one that really and truly works.

I'm so sorry you are suffering through this ((((Lonetraveler))))

That’s so sad and frightening
Anyone who makes light of omicron as “just the sniffles “ or dismissive language needs to read others experiences
Wishing you well soon!

Thank you and everyone who has responded. I'm getting really depressed by having to combat this for so long. The pain is very severe. Doctors do not seem to know how long this will go on.

Lonetraveler, I hope you feel better soon.

Doc T in August 2020 / quick reference source
“Last month my colleague Dr Maria van Kerkhove contacted a group called Long COVID SOS, representing patients with long-term effects from COVID-19 infection.

This afternoon I had the privilege of speaking with them. They told us about their experience, and the ongoing challenges they face. These patients want three things: recognition, rehabilitation and research.

Recognition of their disease, appropriate rehabilitation services, and more research to be done into the long-term effects of this new illness.

Although we have learned so much about this disease, we only have less than 8 months of experience to draw on. We still know relatively little about the long-term effects.

My message to these patients was: we hear you loud and clear, and we are committed to working with countries to ensure you receive the services you need, and to advancing research to serve you better.”

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 21 August 2020

A second version of omicron is spreading. Here's why scientists are on alert

Just as the omicron surge starts to recede in parts of the U.S., scientists have their eye on another coronavirus variant spreading rapidly in parts of Asia and Europe. It's officially called "omicron BA.2," and this week scientists detected cases of it in several U.S. states, including California, Texas and Washington.

Although BA.2 is currently rare in the U.S., scientists expect it to spread in the country over the next month. There's growing evidence that it's just as contagious as — or possibly a bit more contagious than — the first omicron variant, called "omicron BA.1."

"It could be that BA.2 does have some small advantage," says Emma Hodcroft, an epidemiologist at the University of Bern who has been tracking variants all around the world throughout the pandemic via the Nextstrain project. "BA.2 might well be, like, 1% to 3% more transmissible, or something like that."
One morning national news reported that it’s now in 17 US states.

I can't believe, practically everyone we know has had Covid. Except for us. I have not even had a Covid test yet. My husband has had several, every time you have a medical procedure, you have to have a negative Covid test prior to a procedure.

I’m so sorry to hear about your complications. My husband has tons of hardware in his neck. Thankfully he doesn’t suffer much from that. He does have lower back issues and get injections from a pain management clinic. It’s a steroid injection that gives him a tremendous relief. He takes no pain meds but uses a tens unit when he has issues. The treatment was recommended by his neurosurgeon. My husband is 70 and rides a bike 12-15 miles a day. See if your dr. would consider a referral. This clinic is not a pill mill.

I can't believe, practically everyone we know has had Covid. Except for us. I have not even had a Covid test yet. My husband has had several, every time you have a medical procedure, you have to have a negative Covid test prior to a procedure.
Knock on wood, my outside contacts are so limited. I hope I can dodge this bullet. The majority of my extended family had Covid recently. Only one was not vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid