Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #108

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The posts on this thread have stalled and I think that is a good indicator that COVID is on a serious decline.

I agree, but I think it’s also that there’s much more pressing news going on in the world right now. Many regulars from this thread are now on the Ukraine threads.

Having said that, there is certainly a Covid lull for now, or so the stats say… and I think lots of people are just fed up talking about the whole thing, after two very long years. I’m still here though, still checking daily stats and news articles, there’s just not a huge amount to report!

The posts on this thread have stalled and I think that is a good indicator that COVID is on a serious decline.

Hong Kong bet on zero-Covid. Now it's facing a 'preventable disaster' - CNN

I don't think so....and personally, I think that the "maskless", State of the Union address last week was premature. Of course, they neglected to mention that every single person had a Covid-19 test prior to the meeting in the rotunda.

State of the Union attendance required a COVID test. 6 legislators tested positive

I guess that now we are pretending that everything is perfectly fine.

I've been too busy keeping up with the disaster in Ukraine to keep up with Covid news.

I've been on other forums too, lately, because so much is happening, particularly with Ukraine.

But Covid is still at the forefront of my mind, and I don't think it's over, at all.

In fact, when I'm watching this tragedy unfold in Ukraine, along with everything else that is so wretched for these people I'm concerned that they are packed together in trains and train stations. No one has a mask. I know the first thing for them right now is the immediate danger, but Putin IMO has destroyed them further than the obvious.

There will be Ukrainians who develop Covid because there is no time now for the usual precautions. And IMO Putin will be responsible for those illnesses and deaths, as well.

Hong Kong bet on zero-Covid. Now it's facing a 'preventable disaster' - CNN

I don't think so....and personally, I think that the "maskless", State of the Union address last week was premature. Of course, they neglected to mention that every single person had a Covid-19 test prior to the meeting in the rotunda.

State of the Union attendance required a COVID test. 6 legislators tested positive

I guess that now we are pretending that everything is perfectly fine.
So Omicron is gone?

I’m curious how spring break/Easter/family vacations will turn out. Especially with all the mask mandates being dropped.

Plane Mask Mandates Are Set to Expire. Will They Be Extended?

Last edited:
I'm still here following. We (Latvia) still has mandates - masks in all indoors events, malls, etc. & we still have to show our QR code (vaccine verification) in restaurants - like I did yesterday. So everyone here is still complying & I'm still wearing 2 masks when I go out.

I'm still here following. We (Latvia) still has mandates - masks in all indoors events, malls, etc. & we still have to show our QR code (vaccine verification) in restaurants - like I did yesterday. So everyone here is still complying & I'm still wearing 2 masks when I go out.
I continue to follow this thread in addition to Ukraine. Glad to know COVID is still taken seriously here. I haven't gone through two years of masking and isolation to take chances now. Yes, there is additional pressing news in the world, but we must continue to be safe at home.

I agree, but I think it’s also that there’s much more pressing news going on in the world right now. Many regulars from this thread are now on the Ukraine threads.

Having said that, there is certainly a Covid lull for now, or so the stats say… and I think lots of people are just fed up talking about the whole thing, after two very long years. I’m still here though, still checking daily stats and news articles, there’s just not a huge amount to report!

Yes, it seems we have segued from one world crisis to another almost seamlessly.

I saw you posted previously on here about catching covid, so I hope and trust you are on the mend now.

My wife caught it at start of February and then I got it - from her I suspect - about 4 days later. Was very mild thankfully.

New Orleans had a huge 2 week carnival/Mardi Gras. Our numbers in Louisiana are still horrible.
Sorry to hear that. I’ve met many travel nurses this year from LA.

New England has pretty much dropped any and all state & local mandates. Anything goes.
We had our awful omicron surge dec-Jan. I’m curious what if anything Easter Gatherings will bring. Hopefully nothing. I have a waiting for the shoe to drop ( next variant? ) feeling in my gut. But it seems like Covid is over. o_O So.

I’m following a local forum more as the numbers have decreased just to try and have a better idea of what’s going on in my immediate area.

Also keeping an eye on Ukraine news Not a lot though. And mostly “print” vs anything on tv-video. I just Can’t. :(

Mostly been randomly
Internetting and keeping up reading threads here.
All this free time I should be reading more books. :oops:
I have been watching a bit of streaming tv - 10 seasons of Colombo haha - and some other documentary/crime/cooking stuff. Oh watched the movie Contagion (2011) hadn’t seen it before , just wow.

Starting physical therapy this week, supposed to be back to work in April :confused: Haven’t missed it at all. Not one bit. I think I was hitting the wall with work plus Covid and all the stuff that came with it. It was a well timed break (;)) I guess.

anyway
I’m still here :)

Last edited:
Yes, it seems we have segued from one world crisis to another almost seamlessly.

I saw you posted previously on here about catching covid, so I hope and trust you are on the mend now.

My wife caught it at start of February and then I got it - from her I suspect - about 4 days later. Was very mild thankfully.

Thanks, Grouse. Yep, had it and recovered now. It went from one kid to the other to me (5 or 6 days between each) but my husband never got it, somehow! Hope you and Mrs Grouse are ok.

Thanks, Grouse. Yep, had it and recovered now. It went from one kid to the other to me (5 or 6 days between each) but my husband never got it, somehow! Hope you and Mrs Grouse are ok.

Glad to hear it Cags, yes likewise here we are ok.

I was reading that the household transmission rate was about 30% with omicron, which seemed surprisingly low to me, so I was starting to think I wasn't going to get it as well, getting a negative lat flow result every day. Then on about day 4 that red line appeared really strong within seconds, before the liquid had even soaked up as far as the C line. Incidentally someone we know told us that someone they know isolated for several days thinking that the C stood for Covid and that they were positive! :eek: It does help to read the instructions.

It is interesting. My spouse and son both had it recently. My son was positive first, my spouse about 5 days later. It has now been 9 days since my husband tested positive and I remain symptom free. I took two tests during the course of this being in the home and the tests were negative.

The only difference is I was the only one that had already received my booster.

It is interesting. My spouse and son both had it recently. My son was positive first, my spouse about 5 days later. It has now been 9 days since my husband tested positive and I remain symptom free. I took two tests during the course of this being in the home and the tests were negative.

The only difference is I was the only one that had already received my booster.

We all tested daily from when my son first got it, he must have picked it up at school. Both kids are double vaxxed, myself and husband triple (both had them on the same days - April, June, Dec) so no difference in anything medically… I possibly had slightly more contact with the children when they were ill but they mainly stayed in their rooms.

Having said all that, once 3 of us were struck down my husband didn’t even try to avoid it, we thought it’d be better to get it out of the way. Slept in the same bed, ate as a family as normal, watched TV together, we even had a few cheeky kisses… and he STILL avoided it. Luck? Genetics? Weakening viral load? Who knows!! Seems there are no rules!

Long Covid: Even mild Covid is linked to damage to the brain months after infection (nbcnews.com)

The new British research is the first to reveal striking differences in areas of the brain based on scans taken before and after a coronavirus infection.

During at least the first few months following a coronavirus infection, even mild cases of Covid-19 are associated with subtle tissue damage and accelerated losses in brain regions tied to the sense of smell, as well as a small loss in the brain’s overall volume, a new British study finds. Having mild Covid is also associated with a cognitive function deficit.

These are the striking findings of the new study led by University of Oxford investigators, one that leading Covid researchers consider particularly important because it is the first study of the disease’s potential impact on the brain that is based on brain scans taken both before and after participants contracted the coronavirus.

“This study design overcomes some of the major limitations of most brain-related studies of Covid-19 to date, which rely on analysis and interpretation at a single time point in people who had Covid-19,” said Dr. Serena S. Spudich, a neurologist at the Yale University School of Medicine, who was not involved in the research...

We all tested daily from when my son first got it, he must have picked it up at school. Both kids are double vaxxed, myself and husband triple (both had them on the same days - April, June, Dec) so no difference in anything medically… I possibly had slightly more contact with the children when they were ill but they mainly stayed in their rooms.

Having said all that, once 3 of us were struck down my husband didn’t even try to avoid it, we thought it’d be better to get it out of the way. Slept in the same bed, ate as a family as normal, watched TV together, we even had a few cheeky kisses… and he STILL avoided it. Luck? Genetics? Weakening viral load? Who knows!! Seems there are no rules!

Part of me was also thinking it’d be better to get it out of the way, and I didn't try very hard to avoid it (it seemed inevitable I'd catch it anyway), but I just couldn't quite bring myself to actually try to deliberately infect myself.

Maybe Mr Cag has already had it, asymptomatically?

Last edited:
Long Covid: Even mild Covid is linked to damage to the brain months after infection (nbcnews.com)

The new British research is the first to reveal striking differences in areas of the brain based on scans taken before and after a coronavirus infection.

During at least the first few months following a coronavirus infection, even mild cases of Covid-19 are associated with subtle tissue damage and accelerated losses in brain regions tied to the sense of smell, as well as a small loss in the brain’s overall volume, a new British study finds. Having mild Covid is also associated with a cognitive function deficit.

These are the striking findings of the new study led by University of Oxford investigators, one that leading Covid researchers consider particularly important because it is the first study of the disease’s potential impact on the brain that is based on brain scans taken both before and after participants contracted the coronavirus.

“This study design overcomes some of the major limitations of most brain-related studies of Covid-19 to date, which rely on analysis and interpretation at a single time point in people who had Covid-19,” said Dr. Serena S. Spudich, a neurologist at the Yale University School of Medicine, who was not involved in the research...

Could be related to the olfactory effects of the virus apparently. "but more research is needed to avoid unnecessary scaremongering, says Professor Francois Balloux (UCL Genetics Institute)."

Opinion: Covid linked to loss of brain tissue, but correlation doesn’t prove causation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum