Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #109

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Very depressing for older people (over 65), even with vaccines Omicron is causing death.

The one area that is not clear is the behavior of these older people. As the article points out even older people were behaving with less restrictions such as wearing masks. As we know lots and lots of people, including people over 65 are traveling by airplane (without masks), dining in and attending crowded events.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Covid has found its way into your family. You don't mention vaccination status, but IMO even if your daughter gets sick too (likely), chances are they will both recover quickly given their youth and good health. No guarantees, of course. I hope the virus doesn't reach you!
My daughter had 2 shots of Pfizer. Her boyfriend did not have any because he is stubborn. They fought over the issue and almost broke up over it. And now, here we are.

My daughter had 2 shots of Pfizer. Her boyfriend did not have any because he is stubborn. They fought over the issue and almost broke up over it. And now, here we are.
My Stepson's fiance got Covid and he did not and they live together. Hopefully your daughter won't get it, but as someone else pointed out, they are young and healthy and will hopefully do well --- Hoping of course she does not get it.

Can I Stop Isolating If I’m Still Testing Positive for the Virus? - The New York Times
Can I Stop Isolating If I’m Still Testing Positive for the Virus?

From the article, FWIW:

Studies suggest that while most people stop testing positive on antigen tests sometime during the first 10 days of their illnesses, a notable subset of people continue to test positive for longer, for reasons that scientists do not entirely understand.

In some cases, these people may still be shedding infectious virus, but in others, the tests may be picking up viral debris from a waning infection, experts say, making it difficult to know how to interpret the results....

...scientists disagreed on the best course of action for people who test positive for more than 10 days. While some say that the most prudent path is to continue to isolate, others argue that prolonged isolation is unnecessary for most otherwise healthy people.

Given the uncertainty, some experts have advised that test results at the end of an infection be viewed as just one potentially useful piece of information considered in concert with other factors, including a patient’s symptoms and immune status....

Sounds like a crap shoot to me! :(

I hope he recovers quickly and your daughter is able to avoid getting it!

Our small family core of 6 people have not had it either, other members have had it (some twice!) with symptoms from mild to hospitalizations (pneumonia/blood clots/cardiac). I suspect my odds will change due to my work schedule.

My son contracted Covid while working on an offshore platform. This was before he was eligible to be vaccinated. His case was mild. He was later vaccinated. A few months later, he was preparing to transfer to another rig in Abu Dhabi and needed a PCR test. He tested positive and continued to test positive for 3 weeks.

I hope he recovers quickly and your daughter is able to avoid getting it!

Our small family core of 6 people have not had it either, other members have had it (some twice!) with symptoms from mild to hospitalizations (pneumonia/blood clots/cardiac). I suspect my odds will change due to my work schedule.
My son contracted Covid while working on an offshore platform. This was before he was eligible to be vaccinated. His case was mild. He was later vaccinated. A few months later, he was preparing to transfer to another rig in Abu Dhabi and needed a PCR test. He tested positive and continued to test positive for 3 weeks.

My daughter has had 2 negative tests so far. They live in a condo with 2 floors---so he is staying in the downstairs guest room. She wears a mask when she goes down to the kitchen.

He is still feeling very lethargic and achy but his breathing is still good and has no fever or cough. His co-worker, who got it a week before he did, said he was only really sick for 3 days and then recovered quickly. So we are hoping the same for him.

His job required him to to have PCR test for work purposes---he tested positive for 3rd time today. [ 1st 2 were home tests]

The reason she will likely get it is they have two big cuddly affectionate doggies. There is no way for both adults and both doggies to be quarantine in the condo together without the dogs going back and forth all day between them. So at some point she will likely get the virus. :confused:

She will probably be OK but she is my baby girl so I don't like the idea.

From the article, FWIW:

Studies suggest that while most people stop testing positive on antigen tests sometime during the first 10 days of their illnesses, a notable subset of people continue to test positive for longer, for reasons that scientists do not entirely understand.

In some cases, these people may still be shedding infectious virus, but in others, the tests may be picking up viral debris from a waning infection, experts say, making it difficult to know how to interpret the results....

...scientists disagreed on the best course of action for people who test positive for more than 10 days. While some say that the most prudent path is to continue to isolate, others argue that prolonged isolation is unnecessary for most otherwise healthy people.

Given the uncertainty, some experts have advised that test results at the end of an infection be viewed as just one potentially useful piece of information considered in concert with other factors, including a patient’s symptoms and immune status....

Sounds like a crap shoot to me! :(

People have tested positive up to 180 days after initial infection...even though they are no longer infectious/contagious.

My daughter has had 2 negative tests so far. They live in a condo with 2 floors---so he is staying in the downstairs guest room. She wears a mask when she goes down to the kitchen.

He is still feeling very lethargic and achy but his breathing is still good and has no fever or cough. His co-worker, who got it a week before he did, said he was only really sick for 3 days and then recovered quickly. So we are hoping the same for him.

His job required him to to have PCR test for work purposes---he tested positive for 3rd time today. [ 1st 2 were home tests]

The reason she will likely get it is they have two big cuddly affectionate doggies. There is no way for both adults and both doggies to be quarantine in the condo together without the dogs going back and forth all day between them. So at some point she will likely get the virus. :confused:

She will probably be OK but she is my baby girl so I don't like the idea.
Maybe not! My husband had COVID in February. We also live in a small condo with a dog, so it wasn’t feasible for us to quarantine from each other either. He had mild symptoms—no fever, mild cough, stuffy nose—for less than a week. We are both 40, vaxxed, and were boosted in November. I never showed any symptoms but still took a test on day two, five, and ten after he tested positive—and mine were all negative. So, it seems that I escaped it somehow. Hopefully your daughter will too!

Maybe not! My husband had COVID in February. We also live in a small condo with a dog, so it wasn’t feasible for us to quarantine from each other either. He had mild symptoms—no fever, mild cough, stuffy nose—for less than a week. We are both 40, vaxxed, and were boosted in November. I never showed any symptoms but still took a test on day two, five, and ten after he tested positive—and mine were all negative. So, it seems that I escaped it somehow!
It is surprising how many people escape getting the virus who are in close contact with someone who has it.

My daughter has Covid. :(

Her boyfriend is feeling much better today---day 4 for him.

She got sick in the middle of the night---felt hot/cold flashes and body was very achy, had a bad headache.
She has been sleeping almost all day. Hasn't taken a test but no need to really.

sigh....This is the first person in my family to catch the virus, which is remarkable considering we live in Los Angeles area.

We were all together, unmasked in a restaurant, 6 days ago. My little granddaughter was there sitting right next to my daughter all through dinner. I am so glad we didn't all get exposed then. It was just about 48 hrs later that her boyfriend was probably contagious. YIKES

My husband has had Covid twice. We quarantined him to bedroom and bathroom.

Made nice soups, juices, fruit bowls etc which we would place inside his door on a table. Gave him sponges, dish cloths, tea towels and alcohol spray and he would put his dishes back on the table to be collected.

His main grouch was not being able to watch TV and complained that we were being cruel! Altho he recognises now that things would have been complicated had we all caught the virus at the same time.

Luckily he wasnt very ill. We are all triple vaccinated, including kids.

@katydid23 . Bad news about your daughter..

Recommend vitamins C and D for her and all who have been in contact.

My daughter has Covid. :(

Her boyfriend is feeling much better today---day 4 for him.

She got sick in the middle of the night---felt hot/cold flashes and body was very achy, had a bad headache.
She has been sleeping almost all day. Hasn't taken a test but no need to really.

sigh....This is the first person in my family to catch the virus, which is remarkable considering we live in Los Angeles area.

We were all together, unmasked in a restaurant, 6 days ago. My little granddaughter was there sitting right next to my daughter all through dinner. I am so glad we didn't all get exposed then. It was just about 48 hrs later that her boyfriend was probably contagious. YIKES
Oh no!! Fingers crossed that they both have a speedy recovery!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum