Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #109

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Far-UVC light zaps airborne pathogens in realistic conditions​

Far ultraviolet-C light can reduce the level of airborne microbes in a room by more than 92%, according to a new study by researchers in the UK and the US. The result suggests that lamps operating at this wavelength could be used to combat common airborne viruses, including SARS-CoV-2, and thus prevent the transmission of diseases like COVID-19.

While ordinary UVC light is very effective at destroying microbes like bacteria and viruses, it is hazardous for humans because it can damage skin and eyes. A decade ago, researchers at Columbia University in the US discovered that a different wavelength of UVC light, known as far-UVC light, would be just as effective at killing germs, but without the safety concerns. This is because, at 222 nm, its wavelength is too short to penetrate human skin or eye cells....

The team found that the lamps reduced the continuously produced aerolized S. Aureuspathogen load in the room by 92%, which is equivalent to 35 air changes per hour. “This is exciting,” Wood tells Physics World, “since this is a higher number of air changes per hour than other technologies (which have been limited to 5 to 20 equivalent air changes). It is also the first time the effect of far-UVC has been demonstrated for aerolized pathogens in a large ‘real-world’ type environment.”

“Spectacular results”​

Wood adds that the trials have produced “spectacular results”, far exceeding what is possible with ventilation alone. “In terms of preventing airborne disease transmission, far-UVC light could make indoor places as safe as being outside on the golf course on a breezy day at St Andrews,” he says....
---------

This research sounds very promising!

Severe Covid cases ‘more likely in highly polluted areas’​

People who contract Covid-19 are more likely to suffer severe symptoms if they have been exposed to air pollution for long periods.

A study found that people who live in places where there are high levels of the atmospheric pollutant nitrogen dioxide had higher chances of ending up in intensive care units (ICUs) or of needing mechanical ventilation after they had caught Covid.

Nitrogen dioxide is released into the atmosphere when fossil fuels are burned, and the gas is known to have harmful effects on people’s lungs. In particular, endothelial cells – which form a thin membrane lining the inside of the heart and blood vessels – become damaged, and this inhibits the transfer of oxygen from inhaled breath to a person’s blood.

“Our results show a positive association between long-term nitrogen dioxide exposure and Covid-19 fatality and Covid-19 incidence rate,” said the team of German researchers, who were led by Susanne Koch, of Universitätsmedizin Berlin, a large teaching hospital.

Scientists had previously made links between Covid and air pollution, but few studies have concentrated on cases that were particularly severe or on underlying health conditions in those affected by the disease.

Koch and her team used air pollution data to calculate average levels of nitrogen dioxide for each county in Germany. The highest was found in Frankfurt, while the lowest was experienced in Suhl, a small county in Thuringia, the group revealed in its report, which was presented last week to Euroanaesthesia, the annual meeting of the European Society of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care in Milan.

The group also studied data on how many Covid patients in German hospitals had required ICU treatment and mechanical ventilation during one month in 2020. These figures were adjusted for other factors, such as pre-existing health conditions.

After analysing their results, the team reported that on average, 28 ICU beds and 19 ventilators were needed for Covid patients in each of the 10 counties that had the lowest long-term nitrogen dioxide exposure. These figures contrasted with an average of 144 ICU beds and 102 ventilators needed in the 10 counties with the highest long-term exposure.

(...)

Far-UVC light zaps airborne pathogens in realistic conditions​

Far ultraviolet-C light can reduce the level of airborne microbes in a room by more than 92%, according to a new study by researchers in the UK and the US. The result suggests that lamps operating at this wavelength could be used to combat common airborne viruses, including SARS-CoV-2, and thus prevent the transmission of diseases like COVID-19.

While ordinary UVC light is very effective at destroying microbes like bacteria and viruses, it is hazardous for humans because it can damage skin and eyes. A decade ago, researchers at Columbia University in the US discovered that a different wavelength of UVC light, known as far-UVC light, would be just as effective at killing germs, but without the safety concerns. This is because, at 222 nm, its wavelength is too short to penetrate human skin or eye cells....

The team found that the lamps reduced the continuously produced aerolized S. Aureuspathogen load in the room by 92%, which is equivalent to 35 air changes per hour. “This is exciting,” Wood tells Physics World, “since this is a higher number of air changes per hour than other technologies (which have been limited to 5 to 20 equivalent air changes). It is also the first time the effect of far-UVC has been demonstrated for aerolized pathogens in a large ‘real-world’ type environment.”

“Spectacular results”​

Wood adds that the trials have produced “spectacular results”, far exceeding what is possible with ventilation alone. “In terms of preventing airborne disease transmission, far-UVC light could make indoor places as safe as being outside on the golf course on a breezy day at St Andrews,” he says....
---------

This research sounds very promising!

Trump raises question of ultraviolet light and COVID-19. We ask doctors, scientists.​

April 24, 2020 at 12:04 pm Updated April 24, 2020 at 3:37 pm

When Trump mentioned the possibility , the press and the public responded in a mocking way, IIRC.

Experts Denounce Trump’s ‘Dangerous’ Theories of UV Light and Disinfectant to Kill COVID-19​

Donald Trump has repeatedly suggested that warmer weather will kill COVID-19 and allow the country to resume its normal behavior. At a White House press briefing, he theorized dangerously about the power of sunlight, ultraviolet light, and disinfectant injections to rid the body of the novel coronavirus, as The New York Times reported.

“Supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light,” Trump said at the White House, as The New York Timesreported.

More:Fact check: UV light injections are not a common medical treatment — or a COVID-19 cure

“We would like to inform the public that there are no protocols to advise or permit the safe use of UV light directly on the human body at the wavelengths and exposures proven to efficiently kill viruses such as SARS-CoV-2,” a joint news release from the groups said.

Cases are rising- quietly-and this includes the vaccinated-- why is that? well, just look around --people have basically stopped doing things to prevent contracting the virus as vaccine and booster protection wane- they are tired of Covid ( but Covid is not done with them-us)---so, lots of people are getting covid- unmasked and going to movies, parties, baseball games, etc etc etc.---for many the disease is mild, but this nasty virus is still killing people and hospitalizing some, but not a lot of people for now.
The real problem is that for a significant number of people. the virus may be mild, but they will wind up with Long Covid. That is a real concern. And for the elderly this virus remains a potential killer.

Very unfortunate to waste so much life-saving vaccine

Have you had your 2nd booster? I have not--still considering when to get it. I am thinking of waiting until fall when they are supposed to have an updated vaccine more targeted to Omicron, though I do feel more vulnerable since my 1st booster was Nov. 17, 2021

I worry about senior care centers where they eat/live in a community setting and no one is wearing masks or making efforts to encourage them to wear masks or wash their hands after touching common surfaces. It’s like covid is gone.

Have you had your 2nd booster? I have not--still considering when to get it. I am thinking of waiting until fall when they are supposed to have an updated vaccine more targeted to Omicron, though I do feel more vulnerable since my 1st booster was Nov. 17, 2021
I get my second booster next week based on encouragement from primary care and pulmonologist. Especially for other relatives who live in a community living center.

Yes, I was going to wait and watch a bit longer, also. But I know the vaccination rate and the mask wearing and crowd gathering is not too good in my area. I now have the masks back out on the foyer table and we've all had all the vaccines for which we are eligible.

DH and I are still holding out on getting our second boosters. This doesn't mean that we're against getting the additional shot; we just don't want a vaccine every 4-6 months to become habit. We're really hoping that there will eventually be an annual Covid shot like there is for the flu. This would be preferable to the more frequent injections that we're supposed to get now. JMO

U.S. Transportation Sec. Pete Buttigieg has tested positive for COVID-19 and is experiencing mild symptoms, he wrote on Twitter Monday.

Buttigieg spoke at the Detroit Regional Chamber's Mackinac Policy Conference on Mackinac Island last Wednesday and traveled Thursday to Saginaw for an announcement about rail investment.

"I plan to work remotely while isolating according to CDC guidelines, and look forward to when I can safely return to the office and the road," he tweeted...

DH and I are still holding out on getting our second boosters. This doesn't mean that we're against getting the additional shot; we just don't want a vaccine every 4-6 months to become habit. We're really hoping that there will eventually be an annual Covid shot like there is for the flu. This would be preferable to the more frequent injections that we're supposed to get now. JMO
I too am concerned about getting vaccine shots every 4-6 months, so far now I am just trying to be careful- wearing mask etc.

Yes, I was going to wait and watch a bit longer, also. But I know the vaccination rate and the mask wearing and crowd gathering is not too good in my area. I now have the masks back out on the foyer table and we've all had all the vaccines for which we are eligible.
I hear ya! I am back wearing a mask for the forseeable future: too many people around me (and everywhere I look) are living life like there is no pandemic.

You could switch it up a bit in the meantime and get a Shingles vaccine. I'm a huge encourager of the Shingles vaccine because I have seen some elderly people who are too old and frail to get rid of shingles once they get it. Their remaining days are painful. That makes me really sad.

You could switch it up a bit in the meantime and get a Shingles vaccine. I'm a huge encourager of the Shingles vaccine because I have seen some elderly people who are too old and frail to get rid of shingles once they get it. Their remaining days are painful. That makes me really sad.
Funny thing thing @musicaljoke, that is exactly what I did.

My hubby and I did the second Covid booster and the first shingles vax at the same time. He's been fine. My shingles arm is still sore but better.

When I first saw a new primary care physician in 2015 (I turned 65 and now had Medicare), she recommended several shots but not the shingles vaccine. She said that my tetanus vaccine was long overdue or that I had never had one, so I got that. Dr. K also wanted me to do the 2-shot course of Prevnar13 for pneumonia which I completed in 2016. I had not been in the habit of getting an annual flu shot but have had one every year since 2015. When I first saw Dr. K, my B12 was dangerously low, so I had B12 injections weekly for two months, then every other week for two months, then weekly for another 4-5 months until my B12 level was stable. I continue to take a B12 supplement daily. Dr. K encouraged me to get vaccinated for Covid, but she has never recommended the shingles vaccine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members