Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #109

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter has Covid. :(

Her boyfriend is feeling much better today---day 4 for him.

She got sick in the middle of the night---felt hot/cold flashes and body was very achy, had a bad headache.
She has been sleeping almost all day. Hasn't taken a test but no need to really.

sigh....This is the first person in my family to catch the virus, which is remarkable considering we live in Los Angeles area.

We were all together, unmasked in a restaurant, 6 days ago. My little granddaughter was there sitting right next to my daughter all through dinner. I am so glad we didn't all get exposed then. It was just about 48 hrs later that her boyfriend was probably contagious. YIKES

I'm sorry she is sick, but not surprised. It's fortunate that he wasn't contagious at the dinner!

A San Diego doctor who told his patients that he had a miracle cure for COVID-19 in March and April of 2020 has been sentenced to 30 days in prison.

Jennings Ryan Staley pleaded guilty last year to trying to smuggle hydroxychloroquine into the U.S. to sell as part of a coronavirus “treatment kit.” Beyond his prison sentence, he will also be confined to his home for one year, according to U.S. attorneys.

“At the height of the pandemic, before vaccines were available, this doctor sought to profit from patients’ fears,” U.S. Attorney Randy Grossman said in a statement. “He abused his position of trust and undermined the integrity of the entire medical profession.”

Staley admitted to working with a Chinese supplier to smuggle in a barrel containing 26 pounds of hydroxychloroquine powder by mislabeling it as “yam extract.” He planned to use this powder as capsules in “treatment kits” he sold to customers of his Skinny Beach Med Spas in the San Diego area at the beginning of the pandemic, promoting them as a “one hundred percent” cure, a “magic bullet,” an “amazing weapon,” and “almost too good to be true” in conversations with an undercover FBI agent who posed as a potential customer. He also claimed the product would provide six weeks of immunity.

My daughter has Covid. :(

Her boyfriend is feeling much better today---day 4 for him.

She got sick in the middle of the night---felt hot/cold flashes and body was very achy, had a bad headache.
She has been sleeping almost all day. Hasn't taken a test but no need to really.

sigh....This is the first person in my family to catch the virus, which is remarkable considering we live in Los Angeles area.

We were all together, unmasked in a restaurant, 6 days ago. My little granddaughter was there sitting right next to my daughter all through dinner. I am so glad we didn't all get exposed then. It was just about 48 hrs later that her boyfriend was probably contagious. YIKES
Oh noooo. @katydid23 I am so sorry to hear this. Take good care of yourself and stay in touch with updates. Wishing you the best.
Chelly

From the article, FWIW:

Studies suggest that while most people stop testing positive on antigen tests sometime during the first 10 days of their illnesses, a notable subset of people continue to test positive for longer, for reasons that scientists do not entirely understand.

In some cases, these people may still be shedding infectious virus, but in others, the tests may be picking up viral debris from a waning infection, experts say, making it difficult to know how to interpret the results....

...scientists disagreed on the best course of action for people who test positive for more than 10 days. While some say that the most prudent path is to continue to isolate, others argue that prolonged isolation is unnecessary for most otherwise healthy people.

Given the uncertainty, some experts have advised that test results at the end of an infection be viewed as just one potentially useful piece of information considered in concert with other factors, including a patient’s symptoms and immune status....

Sounds like a crap shoot to me! :(

As I had mentioned about a month ago, my DD had covid as did their 8 month old baby. Son in law assumes he had it too, even though he didn't feel sick and was testing negative on daily RATs, because he works from home and had to help take care of baby throughout their illness. They all isolated, as required.

So now they have travelled to NZ for two weeks - for son in law's work. In order to travel to NZ, they had of course to be fully vaxxed (which they are), they had to also carry letters from their doctors stating when they had covid - because they could still be shedding and appear to be covid positive when tested at the airport prior to their international flight.

As I had mentioned about a month ago, my DD had covid as did their 8 month old baby. Son in law assumes he had it too, even though he didn't feel sick and was testing negative on daily RATs, because he works from home and had to help take care of baby throughout their illness. They all isolated, as required.

So now they have travelled to NZ for two weeks - for son in law's work. In order to travel to NZ, they had of course to be fully vaxxed (which they are), they had to also carry letters from their doctors stating when they had covid - because they could still be shedding and appear to be covid positive when tested at the airport prior to their international flight.

Interesting! I hope they don't test positive while away from home.

Interesting! I hope they don't test positive while away from home.

I spoke with DD (and baby) in a video call yesterday. It seems all is fine and they didn't test positive from shedding or infection.
If a further situation develops, they should be fine. They are staying in comfortable accommodation while son in law works in the NZ office. They lived in NZ for a bit, so they have friends there to help - should they become reinfected. :)

I spoke with DD (and baby) in a video call yesterday. It seems all is fine and they didn't test positive from shedding or infection.
If a further situation develops, they should be fine. They are staying in comfortable accommodation while son in law works in the NZ office. They lived in NZ for a bit, so they have friends there to help - should they become reinfected. :)
I am glad things are fine now. It must have been scary when your kids and the baby got sick. :oops:
I am so curious about how long someone will test positive. It's confusing.

My daughter still feels very sick but she said she moved from the bed to the couch and she feels better than yesterday. She had some soup and tea and her fever has gone away for now. Crossing my fingers that she will keep on that trajectory of feeling better and better.

I am glad things are fine now. It must have been scary when your kids and the baby got sick. :oops:

My daughter still feels very sick but she said she moved from the bed to the couch and she feels better than yesterday. She had some soup and tea and her fever has gone away for now. Crossing my fingers that she will keep on that trajectory of feeling better and better.

I feel your DD should be fine in a week or so. She is vaxxed, and about the same age as my DD, and sounds like she has the same symptoms as my DD. The vaccinations really seem to be keeping severe sickness requiring hospitalisation very low (less than 1% here in my country).

I wish you all well.

But it is concerning and scary, as it is such an unknown. And we are so limited in what we can do to help. For me (because they live very close by), I made meals and left them on their doorstep ... along with new play items for baby, little treats for my DD, and throat lozenges to ease the sore throat.

Last edited:

Can your daughter do a telemedicine appt. with her physician? She may be able to get some meds. Many covid patients are getting steroids and breathing treatments when necessary.

I feel your DD should be fine in a week or so. She is vaxxed, and about the same age as my DD, and sounds like she has the same symptoms as my DD. The vaccinations really seem to be keeping severe sickness requiring hospitalisation very low (less than 1% here in my country).

I wish you all well.

But it is concerning and scary, as it is such an unknown. And we are so limited in what we can do to help. For me (because they live very close by), I made meals and left them on their doorstep ... along with new play items for baby, little treats for my DD, and throat lozenges to ease the sore throat.
Yes, I live only about 15 minutes from them. I did some shopping for them right before she got sick but was in quarantine. I went to Whole Foods and got them a bunch of fresh juices and some healthy soups. And I got her some fruit popsicles in case of sore throat.

I also bought an oximeter to check their oxygen levels, just as a preventative thing.

Also I went to PetCo and bought toys and tweets for their doggies, who are bored. lol

Yes, it is scary because it feels unpredictable. But I think they are both making a quick recovery, so far anyway.

I am relieved my husband and I escaped being exposed. When we were at the restaurant we were all sitting outside. I think that may have helped. I think her bf was on the verge of being contagious that day.

Can your daughter do a telemedicine appt. with her physician? She may be able to get some meds. Many covid patients are getting steroids and breathing treatments when necessary.
I strongly suggested that to her but she doesn't feel like she needs that. I wish she would, but so far, she seems to be OK. Her breathing has been fine. She is 98% blood oxygen level on the oximeter.

Her deal made with me is that if her levels go down, she will call her doctor. So far she has been pretty good and her boyfriend is doing much better and so she feels like she will be OK too. Crossing my fingers and toes...

I strongly suggested that to her but she doesn't feel like she needs that. I wish she would, but so far, she seems to be OK. Her breathing has been fine. She is 98% blood oxygen level on the oximeter.

Her deal made with me is that if her levels go down, she will call her doctor. So far she has been pretty good and her boyfriend is doing much better and so she feels like she will be OK too. Crossing my fingers and toes...
A concerned parent. At the beginning of the pandemic, my daughter, her husband, and 3 kids had covid. My daughter is a NICU NP and her husband is an ER nurse. The week before all the schools in our region were closed and virtual learning was in place. We helped with the kids while the parents worked. My daughter was the 1st to get covid. When they were quarantined, we brought cooked food and groceries to the door and visited our little grandchildren every day. They opened the windows and we sat on the lawn. I think I cried after each visit.

A concerned parent. At the beginning of the pandemic, my daughter, her husband, and 3 kids had covid. My daughter is a NICU NP and her husband is an ER nurse. The week before all the schools in our region were closed and virtual learning was in place. We helped with the kids while the parents worked. My daughter was the 1st to get covid. When they were quarantined, we brought cooked food and groceries to the door and visited our little grandchildren every day. They opened the windows and we sat on the lawn. I think I cried after each visit.

That was a rough time for you and your family! Your daughter and her family were fortunate to have you available to visit and help out. I hope all of them recovered fully and have no signs of long Covid.

Most working-age Americans who died of COVID-19 during the first year of the pandemic were so-called essential workers in labor, service and retail jobs that required on-site attendance and prolonged contact with others, according to a recently published study led by a University of South Florida epidemiologist.

The study looks back on COVID-19 deaths in 2020 and affirms what many had already known or suspected — that Americans who could not work from home and who labored in low-paying jobs with few or no benefits, such as paid sick leave and health insurance coverage, bore the brunt of deaths during the pandemic’s first year, said Jason Salemi, an associate professor in USF’s College of Public Health and co-author of the study.

Salemi said the finding, while perhaps expected, left him with two takeaways: That essential workers need more protections during an infectious disease pandemic, and that society’s desire to “return to normal” will mean different things for different people — with inequitable consequences.

Yes, I live only about 15 minutes from them. I did some shopping for them right before she got sick but was in quarantine. I went to Whole Foods and got them a bunch of fresh juices and some healthy soups. And I got her some fruit popsicles in case of sore throat.

I also bought an oximeter to check their oxygen levels, just as a preventative thing.

Also I went to PetCo and bought toys and tweets for their doggies, who are bored. lol

Yes, it is scary because it feels unpredictable. But I think they are both making a quick recovery, so far anyway.

I am relieved my husband and I escaped being exposed. When we were at the restaurant we were all sitting outside. I think that may have helped. I think her bf was on the verge of being contagious that day.
Such a good mom! And grandma!

This is an article from 5/27/2022. My hubby and I received our second booster shots yesterday. The past two years, we've had a big surge in Covid in July, August, September, and some cases in January and February in our region

That was a rough time for you and your family! Your daughter and her family were fortunate to have you available to visit and help out. I hope all of them recovered fully and have no signs of long Covid.
Thank you. My daughter and her husband got vaccinated as soon as the hospital offered immunizations to medical staff. Both were lucky to have no residual effects.

Most working-age Americans who died of COVID-19 during the first year of the pandemic were so-called essential workers in labor, service and retail jobs that required on-site attendance and prolonged contact with others, according to a recently published study led by a University of South Florida epidemiologist.

The study looks back on COVID-19 deaths in 2020 and affirms what many had already known or suspected — that Americans who could not work from home and who labored in low-paying jobs with few or no benefits, such as paid sick leave and health insurance coverage, bore the brunt of deaths during the pandemic’s first year, said Jason Salemi, an associate professor in USF’s College of Public Health and co-author of the study.

Salemi said the finding, while perhaps expected, left him with two takeaways: That essential workers need more protections during an infectious disease pandemic, and that society’s desire to “return to normal” will mean different things for different people — with inequitable consequences.

Retail worker (grocery store) here. At the beginning of the pandemic, no one at my work place was allowed to stay home while sick. I ended up getting COVID (no surprise) and still had to work until I physically couldn’t anymore.

When I asked my one manager why I couldn’t go home, I was told “we need all hands on deck” and “you won’t get paid.”

They’re extremely lucky I wasn’t hospitalized or worse!

My daughter was feeling much better on day 2 of Covid. However on day four she had a setback.
She called me around 3 pm, crying really hard, very upset, saying she was in a lot of pain, couldn't sleep all night, her legs are achy, her hands and feet feel numb, like they are asleep, and like needles were pricking them....her head is throbbing.

As we spoke, it seemed like it was more of a panic or anxiety attack thing---so I tried to get her to breathe deeply and soon she calmed a bit and we realised she was possibly dehydrated and under nourished. And anxious.

She drank a smoothy and stretched a bit. Then took a long hot bath with some Epsom salts I had dropped off for her for with her groceries.

Around 7 pm she called and sounded much better. She said the salt bath helped her achy joints and she had some lentil soup and that helped also because she hadn't had protein for awhile.

Today she seemed stronger but still kind of exhausted. I convinced her to call her doctor to see about any possible treatments to help and she is supposed to get a call back, I hope. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum