Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #109

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first saw a new primary care physician in 2015 (I turned 65 and now had Medicare), she recommended several shots but not the shingles vaccine. She said that my tetanus vaccine was long overdue or that I had never had one, so I got that. Dr. K also wanted me to do the 2-shot course of Prevnar13 for pneumonia which I completed in 2016. I had not been in the habit of getting an annual flu shot but have had one every year since 2015. When I first saw Dr. K, my B12 was dangerously low, so I had B12 injections weekly for two months, then every other week for two months, then weekly for another 4-5 months until my B12 level was stable. I continue to take a B12 supplement daily. Dr. K encouraged me to get vaccinated for Covid, but she has never recommended the shingles vaccine.

If you've never had it, then please ask your Dr. about it specifically.

Very unfortunate to waste so much life-saving vaccine

Have you had your 2nd booster? I have not--still considering when to get it. I am thinking of waiting until fall when they are supposed to have an updated vaccine more targeted to Omicron, though I do feel more vulnerable since my 1st booster was Nov. 17, 2021

I haven’t had my 2nd booster yet. It’s not being offered to my age group at the moment. So for now, I’m still waiting.

At least 15 people who attended last week’s Mackinac Policy Conference have since tested positive for COVID, officials said.

A spokesperson said the Detroit Regional Chamber is aware of 15 people who participated in the conference and tested positive for COVID “in the days immediately following the event.”

The people who have tested positive are either asymptomatic or have mild symptoms, according to the release...

Very unfortunate to waste so much life-saving vaccine

Have you had your 2nd booster? I have not--still considering when to get it. I am thinking of waiting until fall when they are supposed to have an updated vaccine more targeted to Omicron, though I do feel more vulnerable since my 1st booster was Nov. 17, 2021

Yes, DH and I got our second booster in early May. We'd gotten the first one in early October 2021. If we need another one in the fall, we'll be happy to get it, because we're in our later 70s and don't want to mess around with this horrible virus. One of our friends a bit younger than we are got a breakthrough case recently, thanks to his wife who got Covid at a family reunion. He said he was miserable for about 2 weeks with congestion, sore throat, coughing, fever, and severe fatigue and weakness. Fortunately he is well now!

I really don't understand there current covid protocols in some of the workplaces.

Daughter's boyfriend is a teamster, drives for the film studios. The studios USED to have very strict covid protocols which demanded minimum of 10 day quarantines if exposed to covid.

His job tests all the workers once a week. He tested positive last Wednesday---but it was his 3rd day of being symptomatic.

So they are brought him back to work today. And didn't test him because they said tests are not valid, but him being asymptomatic now, and being 7 days from 1st day of illness means he can come back to work, unmasked if he wants to be...
:thinking:

He is working in the props dept on this show---driving the prop truck and sometimes having the employees in his truck with him.

It does not seem smart to have him come back so soon, IMO. But ?

ETA: plus, he lives with my DD, who is still symptomatic. Could that make him still contagious?

Last edited:
I worry about senior care centers where they eat/live in a community setting and no one is wearing masks or making efforts to encourage them to wear masks or wash their hands after touching common surfaces. It’s like covid is gone.
Here at the Retirement home, we do not wear masks at all....it is unnerving to say the least. We also have outings every week to resteraunts and the movies and stores- where none of the residents (except ME!) wear masks. I went to see Top Gun 2 and was the only person in the whole theatre wearing a mask. The residents see me as the "kooky one" who is "afraid" of the virus.
Now, having said that---- we have been terribly lucky to have ZERO cases in our community. I find it bewildering myself as no one takes precautions and my table mates cough and spew all over the place and barely cover thier mouths when doing so. In the back of my mind is always the thought that our time will come here sooner or later....

Here at the Retirement home, we do not wear masks at all....it is unnerving to say the least. We also have outings every week to resteraunts and the movies and stores- where none of the residents (except ME!) wear masks. I went to see Top Gun 2 and was the only person in the whole theatre wearing a mask. The residents see me as the "kooky one" who is "afraid" of the virus.
Now, having said that---- we have been terribly lucky to have ZERO cases in our community. I find it bewildering myself as no one takes precautions and my table mates cough and spew all over the place and barely cover thier mouths when doing so. In the back of my mind is always the thought that our time will come here sooner or later....

It is definitely weird that no-one has Covid- or any other respiratory illness- oh well- thank goodness for that -- but good that you continue to mask up--- Continue to be the "kooky one"- stay safe!!!

Just saw this on the news. Now I am trying to decide if I should get the 2nd booster this summer, or wait for FDA approval (if given when Moderna submits the request) for a bivalent (combination) mRNA vaccine that targets original COVID-19 and Omicron.

COVID booster vaccine candidate raises antibody response against omicron: Moderna

"We are submitting our preliminary data and analysis to regulators with the hope that the omicron-containing bivalent booster will be available in the late summer," he noted. "Taken together, our bivalent booster candidates demonstrate the power of Moderna's mRNA platform to develop vaccines that meet immediate, global public health threats."

The number of COVID-19 cases tied to the Detroit Regional Chamber's Mackinac Policy Conference has risen to 40, officials confirmed Tuesday.

"The individuals testing positive report being asymptomatic or experiencing mild symptoms, and we wish them a speedy recovery," the chamber said in a statement.

The number represents about 3% of the 1,347 attendees at the annual event on Mackinac Island last week, a representative told The Detroit News...

Just saw this on the news. Now I am trying to decide if I should get the 2nd booster this summer, or wait for FDA approval (if given when Moderna submits the request) for a bivalent (combination) mRNA vaccine that targets original COVID-19 and Omicron.

COVID booster vaccine candidate raises antibody response against omicron: Moderna

"We are submitting our preliminary data and analysis to regulators with the hope that the omicron-containing bivalent booster will be available in the late summer," he noted. "Taken together, our bivalent booster candidates demonstrate the power of Moderna's mRNA platform to develop vaccines that meet immediate, global public health threats."

I have been debating about when to get that 2nd booster: with this new information about the Moderna booster I am leaning towards waiting - the present vaccine is not geared towards Omicron, which I believe is causing more people to get Omicron these days. Fortunately the vaccine (though waning), does offer some protection, and many people are testing positive but not developing severe symptoms.

That said, my stepson just popped in. He has not been in our home for two years. About two months ago his fiance contracted Covid (they live together), but he did not get it (he tested negative). Anyway, in as much as my husband and I remain within the vulnerable population, it makes me anxious to have him just pop in, since he is in the work force and is out in the world where the virus is still spreading, but I know there is really nothing I can do about it. You know sometimes you just cannot control every circumstance. Sigh.

Apparently COVID is over according to my boss...we no longer sanitize shopping carts and baskets or the tables in our lunch room. I’m surprised he hasn’t had the plastic barriers at the checkouts taken down yet!

It’s quite concerning really....especially since cases are exploding in the States. I’m Canadian, but I imagine it’s the same up here.

Apparently COVID is over according to my boss...we no longer sanitize shopping carts and baskets or the tables in our lunch room. I’m surprised he hasn’t had the plastic barriers at the checkouts taken down yet!

It’s quite concerning really....especially since cases are exploding in the States. I’m Canadian, but I imagine it’s the same up here.
If you look around, at least here in America, the country is getting on with life like there is no pandemic, which is why cases keep spreading.

Dermatologist office today for appt. None of the front desk workers were masked...all of the back office staff and doctors were though. I don't understand this concept.
Went to pick up some donuts from Krispey Kreme for myself and friends afterwards- It's senior discount day so lots of us "older" folks in line- as usual, I was the only person masked. No one else, not even the staff.

Dermatologist office today for appt. None of the front desk workers were masked...all of the back office staff and doctors were though. I don't understand this concept.
Went to pick up some donuts from Krispey Kreme for myself and friends afterwards- It's senior discount day so lots of us "older" folks in line- as usual, I was the only person masked. No one else, not even the staff.

I went to a dermatologist office last month where masks were "optional"- I was surprised since every doctor's office I have been in, both in Michigan and Florida required masks. The female staff was not masked, but the docs were masked. Go figure!!!! Most of the stores I go in these days find very few people masked, though I am masked.

If you look around, at least here in America, the country is getting on with life like there is no pandemic, which is why cases keep spreading.

Definitely the same thing happening here.
The only good thing right now is that hospitalizations and ICU admissions are decreasing...but the community spread is still quite high.

I’m glad my doctor and the front desk staff are still masked at my clinic. Most medical places have made masks optional for both clients AND staff!

It is quite different here! All medical places still require masks for everyone. No longer in grocery stores or malls - but it seems I'm the only one that wears a mask shopping.

and I shall keep wearing it - don't plan on getting sick.... knock on wood!

I’m glad my doctor and the front desk staff are still masked at my clinic. Most medical places have made masks optional for both clients AND staff!

Here in Oregon, masking is still mandatory in any medical/health care facility for staff and patients…thankfully! This included the acupuncturist and massage therapist I went to, as well as the dentist. My audiologist wears a mask with a clear inset so her lips are visible to those who need to see them. But everywhere else is mask-optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum