Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here at the Retirement home, we are again hosting 80 (!) Kids from the nearby daycare center for a Halloween trick or treat indoors. I have always felt this is a recipe for disaster...a bunch of old, frail, vulnerable folks with children including infants!! And all the colds, COVID, flu, RSV, etc etc that entails. No one wears masks here either. We had quite a few residents get COVID last year and a few passed away. Wonder what this year will bring.
In other news, I am on a waiting list for a different apartment complex. It's still a 55 and over community, but no communal eating, so a real apartment with a kitchen! Yay!
I'm glad to hear you will be moving to a real apartment! It sounds like an improvement over where you are.

@Gemmie sorry my WS is glitching and I couldn’t quote your reply.

It is the same website you check expiration dates. Some dates have been extended twice.
Thank you for the clarification!!! This helps a lot.

Went by my doctor's office & now have an appointment for a Pfizer vaccine shot for next Friday 10/13.

All my others have been Moderna - but they do not have that brand.
Anyone else have a Pfizer shot? Was it okay? Is it the same as the Moderna one this time?
I’ve only had Pfizer, and they were all ok, and I only had a flu type feeling with the very first one, and zero for the rest

Some of my family have had a mix of Pfizer and Moderna vaccinations, based on what was most readily available to them at the time for each vaccine
They said they did fine:)

They are scarce for more than children. I'm having a dickens of a time finding one. I just got off the phone with vaccines.gov (it says to call if you need help finding one) and they just told me to contact my state heath authority which is where I started. :( I hadn't called them, I was checking out their website and not finding what I needed. Will have to dig deeper into it I guess.

I wish the government was handling it again. It was SOOOOO much easier to find and get one prior to this round. It's not even about them paying for them for all, it's that things were just run so much more smoothly before. I miss that smooth and easiness. :(

Does anyone know how long hand sanitation is effective? I still have quite a few bottles (small ones) that I stocked up on during Covid and wonder if I should just throw them out. Some of the hand sanitizer I have purchased have a "use buy" date, but most of them don't - or I can't find the date on them.

Edited to add - I just googled and found this article, which is consistent with some others I just read. I guess 2-3 years is the industry standard before hand sanitizer loses its effectiveness. So probably I need to dispose of most of what I have on hand.

Does Hand Sanitizer Expire?

Last edited:
They are scarce for more than children. I'm having a dickens of a time finding one. I just got off the phone with vaccines.gov (it says to call if you need help finding one) and they just told me to contact my state heath authority which is where I started. :( I hadn't called them, I was checking out their website and not finding what I needed. Will have to dig deeper into it I guess.

I wish the government was handling it again. It was SOOOOO much easier to find and get one prior to this round. It's not even about them paying for them for all, it's that things were just run so much more smoothly before. I miss that smooth and easiness. :(

You’re in Oregon, aren‘t you @Gemmie? I’m not sure if you’re in a metro area or rural like I am, but here in Southern Oregon I managed to find the vaccine at my local Rite Aid. Initially it was available at CVS and Walgreens, but not in my town. Rite Aid got it a little later and my doctor still doesn’t have it. Our county Public Health Department said there are manufacturers’ delays. They suggest 211 or the Vaccine.gov site. It showed Rite Aid using Moderna, but they’re using Pfizer, which is fine, but it showed me they aren’t accurate. I just checked it again now and my local Rite Aid didn’t show up, so I guess I’ll need to confirm before I go on Monday. Anyway, I hope you can find somewhere to get it.

You’re in Oregon, aren‘t you @Gemmie? I’m not sure if you’re in a metro area or rural like I am, but here in Southern Oregon I managed to find the vaccine at my local Rite Aid. Initially it was available at CVS and Walgreens, but not in my town. Rite Aid got it a little later and my doctor still doesn’t have it. Our county Public Health Department said there are manufacturers’ delays. They suggest 211 or the Vaccine.gov site. It showed Rite Aid using Moderna, but they’re using Pfizer, which is fine, but it showed me they aren’t accurate. I just checked it again now and my local Rite Aid didn’t show up, so I guess I’ll need to confirm before I go on Monday. Anyway, I hope you can find somewhere to get it.
Yeah, I had a feeling the site wouldn't be 100% accurate. :(

If your local Rite Aid didn't show up now could it be that they are now out once they fill all the appts they have thus far? I ask because the info that is showing is very fluid. No Safeway pharmacies were showing yesterday, but today they all are. That tells me they got theirs after some other pharmacies.

Also, I talked to the OHA a few hrs ago and was told that they haven't even been given any vaccines, they are all going to pharmacies first.

I'm thinking the info above could be the same for any state, and perhaps any country. Things are a little messy right now. It's understandable. :)

Some of my friends just got their COVID vaccinations at Walmart. A nearby Kroger store has appointments available tomorrow for the new COVID vaccination.

And when I was shopping at Meijer a message was being played endlessly saying the new COVID vaccine was available in the pharmacy. I tried to make an appointment but they were all booked up until October 10.

@Gemmie and @Lilibet

It’s not just a problem in rural areas.

I‘m in NYC. I had an appointment at CVS for my 7th shot but they kept saying they had no supply. It’s on my block so I just checked every day and the other day they had it, so I waited and got it.

Interestingly they now have Moderna, whereas for all previous shots they only had Pfizer.

For my first vaccination when they were brand new, I had to go to Staten Island where teachers were able to get it, and they had Moderna so I stuck with that. For my second shot in February 2021 I was able to go to a local school, but we waited in line for 2 1/2 hours in the cold.

All of my booster shots were simple to get. I went to this CVS twice and had Pfizer as a booster, just because it was right here, but for the others I went to a pharmacy at a supermarket because I preferred Moderna.

I was happy that for this new shot CVS had Moderna, but it’s true that the supply is very patchy.

As of yet I have not had Covid.

Our local Costco was expecting a shipment this week.

My doctor is not going to have them. It would require them to buy a special refrigerator to keep them in. The nurse told me today that our Publix has them. So if we get one, we will try there first. I got my flu shot today and definitely didn’t want them together.

I finally heard back from my county public health dept (where I've gotten all previous covix vaxes).

They said they have "some" vaccines for the uninsured and underinsured, and that Rite Aid has "some" for insured folks. Odd wording but maybe it means they only have a small number of shots available. I live in one of the least-vaxxed counties so maybe not that many were allocated to us.

I have medicaid (medi-cal in California) so I don't know if that counts as insured or underinsured.

But I'm leaving tomorrow morning to visit my mom for a few days, and since I often have a day or two of side effects from the vax, I certainly don't want to get it on my way out of town and then feel ill while on the road or visiting. I'll be masked when in indoors public anyway, and mom and one other friend are the only folks I'll be in contact with lasting more than just a moment or two.

So I'll inquire next week at Rite Aid, see if they actually have shots available and if they are actually the new formulation, and hopefully get the shot.

I'll get the flu shot at public health's drive thru clinic in my town on 10/17. Haven't thought much about RSV yet.

DH and I will get our updated Covid and flu shots at Walgreens next week, on Friday the 13th (eek!). It will be 4 months since our previous Covid booster, which we got before traveling to Oregon in July. In 2022, we received both vaccines, and IIRC, we got the Covid booster in the left arm and flu shot in the right. We could also get the RSV vaccine, but we'll get that another time.

I was just sent an email that my medical provider is having drive-thru's (YAY!) on Saturday, here and in 4 nearby cities. It would have been better if they staggered them, IMO, so those that couldn't make one could drive to another, or if they ran out in one city, folks could go to another city. But they didn't ask me! Either way I'm happy. :)

Our local Costco was expecting a shipment this week.

I got the flu shot today at our local Costco and while there I asked the pharmacist if they had the new covid vaccine and, if so, which manufacturer's vaccine they have. She said they just got a shipment of Moderna vaccine today but have had Pfizer vaccine for over a week. I said that I better go online and make an appointment for two weeks from now. She said they aren't making appointments for the Covid shot, it is walk-in only because of the limited supply of vaccines they received. So I may have to get my Covid shot elsewhere if they run out of vaccine over the next two weeks. She said they might get another shipment, but they don't know right now.

The coronavirus isn’t the only pathogen that can cause symptoms that last months, or even years, after an initial infection is overcome, a new study published Friday in The Lancet’s eClinicalMedicine suggests.

In an analysis of data from 10,171 U.K. adults, the researchers found evidence of a “long cold” syndrome that can follow infection with a variety of common respiratory viruses, including common cold viruses and influenza.

While some of the symptoms of long Covid and long colds overlapped, the study noted that people with long Covid were more likely to continue to experience lightheadedness, dizziness and problems with taste and smell; lingering long cold symptoms were more likely to include coughing, stomach pain and diarrhea.

Experts said the new research could help shine a light on the types of long-lasting symptoms that come after recovery from an illness, including chronic fatigue syndrome...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MisstressNifer