Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lilibet

I‘m having a cup of coffee now in solidarity with you, 3000 miles away.

I’d forgotten that you’d had Covid, but I’m so grateful you are still here where we need you!

I‘ve been spending 90% of my WS time on the Israel thread to defend them, but I always check in here.

@Lilibet

I‘m having a cup of coffee now in solidarity with you, 3000 miles away.

I’d forgotten that you’d had Covid, but I’m so grateful you are still here where we need you!

I‘ve been spending 90% of my WS time on the Israel thread to defend them, but I always check in here.

Raising my mug in your direction! I’m very grateful to be here as I was sure I’d die if I got covid (asthma and other issues). Our local 45 bed hospital with a 10-bed dedicated covid wing was amazingly up to date on everything!

Yup, I always take it in stride and just curl up in bed for a day. I actually did end up in the hospital with covid at the end of Jan 2021 for six days …despite being extremely careful, two weeks before we were eligible for the vaccine as seniors. We got the monoclonal antibody infusion, but I still needed O2 in the hospital and all the drugs Trump got the previous Fall. :D No ventilator, thankfully. My husband came thru better than I did.

So the vaccine is no big deal. I figure the worse I feel the better it’s working on my immune system. :) I think it’s so interesting how everyone has a different reaction.

I know you were so careful and still wonder how you caught Covid back in 2021---- feel better soon!

Question for all. Does anyone know if it's not advisable to get both your flu and covid vaccine in the same arm at the same time (same date)?

I'm answering my own Q and leaving that answer here in case others had the same Q. I just found this (tweaked my Goog search a little):

For flu and COVID-19 vaccines, you can either get both vaccines in the same arm (at least an inch apart), or you can get them in different arms. Either is okay. The high-dose (Fluzone High-Dose Quadrivalent) or adjuvanted flu vaccine (Fluad Quadrivalent) may be more likely to cause side effects compared to standard dose flu vaccines. You may want to get these high-dose flu vaccines in different arms than the arm receiving a COVID-19 vaccine to reduce side effects in one arm.

Now to research whether I should get the high-dose flu vaccine (and why or why not), vs the regular dose, as I've never dealt with that before. *sigh*

Last edited:
Question for all. Does anyone know if it's not advisable to get both your flu and covid vaccine in the same arm at the same time (same date)?

I'm answering my own Q and leaving that answer here in case others had the same Q. I just found this (tweaked my Goog search a little):

For flu and COVID-19 vaccines, you can either get both vaccines in the same arm (at least an inch apart), or you can get them in different arms. Either is okay. The high-dose (Fluzone High-Dose Quadrivalent) or adjuvanted flu vaccine (Fluad Quadrivalent) may be more likely to cause side effects compared to standard dose flu vaccines. You may want to get these high-dose flu vaccines in different arms than the arm receiving a COVID-19 vaccine to reduce side effects in one arm.

Now to research whether I should get the high-dose flu vaccine (and why or why not), vs the regular dose, as I've never dealt with that before. *sigh*

Regarding the high-dose flu vaccine: Speaking to only my experience, we always give the high-dose vaccine to those who are 65 and older.

High-dose flu vaccine has four times the antigen so it boosts the response to your immune system.

Everyone is different, but I never had a reaction to the high-dose flu vax. I’ve always reacted to the covid vax. So I think it’s safe to say that’s what’s giving me flu-like symptoms today. It’s my first time having them together…in different arms. If you’re over 65 it’s wise to get the high-dose vax according to the experts.

JMO

Got a phone call from my friend today who was sitting in a packed emergency room, and had been there for a few hours she was waiting to get seen for her hip. She told me she ran into somebody that she knew but they didn't recognize her because she had a mask on so she took her mask off just so they could see who she was!! That's not how it works out there! This is how people who think they're being cautious get covid.

Got a phone call from my friend today who was sitting in a packed emergency room, and had been there for a few hours she was waiting to get seen for her hip. She told me she ran into somebody that she knew but they didn't recognize her because she had a mask on so she took her mask off just so they could see who she was!! That's not how it works out there! This is how people who think they're being cautious get covid.
Lol! I still recognize people’s eyes!

Maybe it's time we started writing out names on our masks like this since most of our faces are hidden....

1696994183574.png

Just kidding and trying to add some levity to this serious situation. :)

Last edited:
I hope it is okay to share this. There is an inquiry underway about the handling of the pandemic in the UK (it was woeful in my view with many deliberate decisions which could be regarded as clinical negligence),
Anyway, this clip shares the words of an NHS worker and I hope my posting works as I haven’t tried this before. https://x.com/the_tuc/status/1711337581613551797?s=46&t=iO_2MTqeaerdNpA2j8HokQ

We got our usual Pfizer covid shots around 5 pm yesterday at RiteAid. I also got the flu vax for seniors. My husband had gotten it at our doctor’s office during an appointment. Both arms are a bit sore, but not bad.

As usual Pfizer is making me feel feverish and my whole body aches. I don’t usually react to the flu shot, so i’m pretty sure this is just covid vax. My husband feels pretty punky too. i took two ibuprofen, I’m using my large ice packs and I’m drinking water. Coffee is coming. Then I may go back to bed. One good thing is that I slept the whole night without getting up and sitting in the living room…my usual pain and insomnia routine. So something must have knocked me out! :)
Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Vaxes can do that to you - the reason that I prefer to get one shot at a time. DH and I have been getting the flu shots for 65+ and have not had any side effects, but DH does have slight fever and fatigue when we've gotten our Covid injections. We're getting flu shots at Rite Aid tomorrow. Feel better :)

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Vaxes can do that to you - the reason that I prefer to get one shot at a time. DH and I have been getting the flu shots for 65+ and have not had any side effects, but DH does have slight fever and fatigue when we've gotten our Covid injections. We're getting flu shots at Rite Aid tomorrow. Feel better :)

Thanks! The usual covid vax malaise didn’t even last the whole day this time. :)

A new study has an encouraging message for Americans who shy away from Covid shots because of worries about side effects: The chills, fatigue, headache and malaise that can follow vaccination may be signs of a vigorous immune response.

People who had those side effects after the second dose of a Covid vaccine had more antibodies against the coronavirus at one month and six months after the shot, compared with those who did not have symptoms, according to the new study. Increases in skin temperature and heart rate also signaled higher antibody levels

DH and I got flu shots this morning. There were other people there, some filling out paperwork, but we were taken right away. Some folks get both flu and Covid shots at the same time, but we will schedule our Covid vaxes for early November. I asked pharmacist about his experience with the RSV vaccine, and he said exactly what my PCP said: It is still new, so there isn't a lot of feedback yet on side effects or overall efficacy of the shot. He said he might be able to tell me more when we come back for our Covid shots. He recommends the RSV vaccine for me due to my asthma, even though it's well-controlled with inhalers.

Last edited:
DH and I got flu shots this morning. There were other people there, some filling out paperwork, but we were taken right away. Some folks get both flu and Covid shots at the same time, but we will schedule our Covid vaxes for early November. I asked pharmacist about his experience with the RSV vaccine, and he said exactly what my PCP said: It is still new, so there isn't a lot of feedback yet on side effects or overall efficacy of the shot. He said he might be able to tell me more when we come back for our Covid shots on. He recommends the RSV vaccine for me due to my asthma, even though it's well-controlled with inhalers.
Info on RSV efficacy:

Arexvy™, developed by GSK, was the first to receive FDA approval—in early May—based on data from a trial conducted by the company in the U.S. and internationally. The ongoing trial is following participants through three RSV seasons. In late June, GSK reported an overall efficacy of 82.6% against lower respiratory tract disease during the first season, 77.3% for mid-season, and 67.2% over two seasons. Against severe disease, efficacy was 94.1% during the first season, 84.6% at mid-season, and 78.8% over two seasons.

The second vaccine, called Abrysvo™, from Pfizer, showed an efficacy of almost 89% against LRTD involving at least three symptoms in the first year after vaccination, and 78.6% mid-way through a second season in the data presented to the FDA. LRTD symptoms include new or increased cough, wheezing, sputum (phlegm) production, shortness of breath, and/or tachypnea (abnormally rapid breathing).

While data showed that one vaccination could be protective for at least two seasons, no determination has been made on how frequently the shots should be given.

Clinical test info:

Evaluated efficacy evidence for the GSK RSV vaccine consisted of data from one ongoing randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 clinical trial conducted in 17 countries and including 24,973 immunocompetent participants aged ≥60 years randomized 1:1 to receive 1 dose of vaccine [snip]. Efficacy findings were based on analyses of data collected during May 2021–March 2023, which included two complete RSV seasons for Northern Hemisphere participants and one complete RSV season for Southern Hemisphere participants.

A consensus has emerged among experts who study and treat long Covid: Paxlovid seems to reduce the risk of lingering symptoms among those eligible to take it.

The idea is intuitive, experts say. Paxlovid prevents the coronavirus from replicating, so researchers think it may also reduce the risk of an infection causing inflammation or organ damage, which in turn can lead to chronic illness.

Clinical observations and a large study published in March support that theory. Among the 282,000 people in the study who were eligible for Paxlovid, the drug was associated with a 26% lower risk of long Covid.

“Research definitely backs up that it helps prevent lingering symptoms — it helps prevent long Covid,” said Ashley Drapeau, director of the Long Covid Clinic at the GW Center for Integrative Medicine...

I hope it is okay to share this. There is an inquiry underway about the handling of the pandemic in the UK (it was woeful in my view with many deliberate decisions which could be regarded as clinical negligence),
Anyway, this clip shares the words of an NHS worker and I hope my posting works as I haven’t tried this before. https://x.com/the_tuc/status/1711337581613551797?s=46&t=iO_2MTqeaerdNpA2j8HokQ

So sad. IIRC, it was like this in the US, too. Remember, no stockpile of N95 masks? Bodies piling up in rented box trucks, morgues and funeral homes overwhelmed with not enough room for all the bodies? Nurses and doctors having to re-use the same masks and gowns.

I hope our government (US) learns from the experiences and maintains the prep and supplies instead of letting them deplete.

It's so important to provide our incredible health care providers with the tools they need to both help us and protect themselves.

DH was perfectly fine after our flu shots yesterday, but I felt a bit queasy for a while in the afternoon. I actually thought about lying down but sat quietly and read instead. I sipped Pedialyte and felt better after a couple of hours. Slept like a log last night.

We scheduled our Covid boosters for October 26. If I decide to get the RSV vax, I'll get that in mid-November.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member