Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #112

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I went to the doctors this week in the UK and the video screen was showing a public announcement to recommend wearing masks in groups of people, particularly those you don’t know. First time I have seen such an overt announcement.
That recommendation just seems silly imo. I’ve only caught Covid from people that I know *shrug*

I haven’t kept up with summer surge trends outside the US, but we’re still going strong here and it’s back to school time as well so…

Eta based on this weeks graph, it looks like most regions might have peaked for this round, except for the NE

Last edited:
That recommendation just seems silly imo. I’ve only caught Covid from people that I know *shrug*

I haven’t kept up with summer surge trends outside the US, but we’re still going strong here and it’s back to school time as well so…

Eta based on this weeks graph, it looks like most regions might have peaked for this round, except for the NE
I agree that "recommend wearing masks in groups of people, particularly those you don’t know" isn't a real smart thing to tell people.

I was JUST telling someone after reading that post that "Covid isn't less catchy from someone you know, it's the same regardless if it's a total stranger, or the man or woman you married to the children you bore."!! It seems like that might make some people (the ones with less common sense IMO) that you're less likely to catch it from friends and family, That's not the right message to send IMO. :(

I agree that "recommend wearing masks in groups of people, particularly those you don’t know" isn't a real smart thing to tell people.

I was JUST telling someone after reading that post that "Covid isn't less catchy from someone you know, it's the same regardless if it's a total stranger, or the man or woman you married to the children you bore."!! It seems like that might make some people (the ones with less common sense IMO) that you're less likely to catch it from friends and family, That's not the right message to send IMO. :(

But we know more about the habits of our family members who live with us, the risks or lack of risks they take, their handwashing habits, etc. so this advice does make sense. In a crowded space with strangers, we don't know if they just flew back on a crowded plan from overseas, or if they work in a hospital emergency department and are exposed daily to easily transmitted disease, etc. So with an abundance of caution, we might want to mask up in those contexts.

But we know more about the habits of our family members who live with us, the risks or lack of risks they take, their handwashing habits, etc. so this advice does make sense. In a crowded space with strangers, we don't know if they just flew back on a crowded plan from overseas, or if they work in a hospital emergency department and are exposed daily to easily transmitted disease, etc. So with an abundance of caution, we might want to mask up in those contexts.
We've had two positives at work, week before last. Two more out this week, but tested negative - though symptoms are identical to the positives.

Last month an employee at my other facility called in because her 1 year-old tested positive. Her pediatrician was not concerned at all, told Mom to keep her home and in three or four days she could go back to childcare. I thought to myself - Covid shut down the entire world, but this is how it's viewed now?

With a noticeable increase in community, patient and employee cases this summer, my workplace has recently mildly suggested masking, ya know “if you want to” *eyeroll*

Last edited:
I see there have been a few school closures re Covid already- no link but easily googable- with the again eyeroll worthy “we’re wiping surfaces and deep disinfecting classrooms and we’ll be back in session tomorrow”. We’re now in year four or five of this airborne transmitted virus and haven’t seemed to have learned a whole lot.

“For less than the cost of a textbook”

I completely agree, I did do a double take on the recommendation. I guess you may know where people you know have been, but then in a group of work colleagues, I would know them all, but not where they have been.
We have been surging for a while here but it’s anecdotal as it’s not measured. I do like your graphs. I don’t believe we have anything publicly available like that.
Edited to add. From what I understand, the strains aren’t any milder. I don’t get the eye roll. I am always respectful of other when I have covid and wouldn’t dream of going into work or going shopping.

I completely agree, I did do a double take on the recommendation. I guess you may know where people you know have been, but then in a group of work colleagues, I would know them all, but not where they have been.
We have been surging for a while here but it’s anecdotal as it’s not measured. I do like your graphs. I don’t believe we have anything publicly available like that.
Edited to add. From what I understand, the strains aren’t any milder. I don’t get the eye roll. I am always respectful of other when I have covid and wouldn’t dream of going into work or going shopping.
If you’re referring to my eyeroll in the subsequent post, it was rolling towards my employer and the healthcare industry in general. Imo masks should be required by staff and visitors of all types of medical facilities - at minimum at least during surges before cases are peaking (Including drs offices, elderly care facilities, pharmacies etc) My apologies as I often don’t post as clearly as I should.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bshie
Back