Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #112

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
An article about long covid research and what is known thus far:

@FenitN

NEWS: Biden administration just announced it is restarting the free covid test program in late September.You'll be able to get four test kits mailed to you again.

I asked why we didn't get free tests for the summer wave.David Boucher, an HHS official overseeing the program, replied "with the resources we have available for covid, we need to be a little bit strategic" and fall is a good time ahead of holiday travel & gatherings

@FenitN

NEWS: Biden administration just announced it is restarting the free covid test program in late September.You'll be able to get four test kits mailed to you again.

I asked why we didn't get free tests for the summer wave.David Boucher, an HHS official overseeing the program, replied "with the resources we have available for covid, we need to be a little bit strategic" and fall is a good time ahead of holiday travel & gatherings

That’s nice. (Slight sarcasm, but at this point I’ll take what I can get) Four tests. For four adults. Three of whom work/school. In late September. *sigh*
On a postive note, with this summer surge, a lot of folks won’t need them in September. They can save them for the Nov- Feb winter surge, maybe.
Sincerely though, thank you for posting!

Wondering when to get the updated vaccine? This might help:

“We’re in the midst of a of a huge wave. Many people have recently had Covid,” he said.

“If you had it in the last three months, I would wait. There’s no need to get a vaccine, because you have, in a way. You’ve been ‘vaccinated’ by the by the current strain,” he said.

On the other hand, if you haven’t recently had Covid, and especially if you’re 65 or older, “I would get it as soon as possible,”

First time for my son and I; he brought it back from a trip to Denver. Two weeks in and maybe, just maybe we are starting to feel a bit better. Haven't had a shot since 2022 because the vaccine gave both of us tachycardia. Will be tracking down Novavax after this. Yes we took Paxlovid, it helped but then rebound was possibly worse. NOT just a cold for us...

current CDC Guidelines say if you are not symptomatic, just go on with life:
You can go back to your normal activities when, for at least 24 hours, both are true:
they do suggest masking,cleaning, etc.
Yeah I was visiting her this past February and stayed with her for a few days. While I was there she felt off and tested. Came back positive. She had a slight fever and felt flu-y. She had to report to work “if she could” meaning not bedridden and she did. She just had a baby and her time off is better spent at home not sick with her baby. But she wore an N95 and rocked out her shift. My daughter nor myself ended up getting it. Ironically, we shared a meal the night before she tested positive and rode in the same car to dinner. It’s wild.

Yeah I was visiting her this past February and stayed with her for a few days. While I was there she felt off and tested. Came back positive. She had a slight fever and felt flu-y. She had to report to work “if she could” meaning not bedridden and she did. She just had a baby and her time off is better spent at home not sick with her baby. But she wore an N95 and rocked out her shift. My daughter nor myself ended up getting it. Ironically, we shared a meal the night before she tested positive and rode in the same car to dinner. It’s wild.
There is a chance that you and your daughter could have had asymptomatic cases. 44% is pretty close to 50/50, which IMO is a lot. It's not like it's 1 in every 1,000 or something (which would make it much rarer than a coin toss).

The overall estimate of the proportion of people who became infected with SARS-CoV-2 and remained asymptomatic throughout infection was 44.1%

Dr. Anthony Fauci was briefly hospitalized after contracting West Nile virus, a spokesperson said.

Fauci, 83, who was chief medical adviser to President Joe Biden, became a household name during the Covid pandemic. Fauci left as director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in 2022...

If you’re referring to my eyeroll in the subsequent post, it was rolling towards my employer and the healthcare industry in general. Imo masks should be required by staff and visitors of all types of medical facilities - at minimum at least during surges before cases are peaking (Including drs offices, elderly care facilities, pharmacies etc) My apologies as I often don’t post as clearly as I should.
Sorry, I didn’t see the notification for this. I was meaning that I don’t understand why they do the eye roll and behave in that way. You were clear, it was me not using full sentences :)

Rsbm
The wastewater charts are pretty much all we have anymore and I think? The CDC was going to discontinue those soon (maybe don’t quote me on that). It’s so helpful to see the levels nationwide imo. My state does have an ok seasonal (seasonal- ha) respiratory report. Which I believe they started early this year due to summer Covid. And my local wastewater system does test, hopefully will continue to do so. But that’s all we have for numbers. Poop levels.

anecdotally, it doesn’t seem milder I agree. Seeing folks still losing smell and taste, bad body flu symptoms, gi stuff, and the usual cold and throat symptoms, as well as long lasting exhaustion . Not sure about the cough? And some breeze through with mild one or two day cold symptoms. And then the asymptotic folks too. It seems so random that way.

Came back to edit - hospitalizations and deaths are at a much much lower amount now, so there is good news. Now if we can just keep the failing healthcare system afloat.

Take care !
We have minimal info here in the Uk. I had the cough last time with a sore throat, but not too bad and comparable to the cough I get with the cold. The fog and exhaustion was the exhausting factor.

Dr. Anthony Fauci was briefly hospitalized after contracting West Nile virus, a spokesperson said.

Fauci, 83, who was chief medical adviser to President Joe Biden, became a household name during the Covid pandemic. Fauci left as director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in 2022...
Hoping Dr. Fauci makes a full recovery. It was kind of shocking that he contracted this virus and required hospitalization. He is a wonderful man and physician.

Today (Wed 8/28/) I spoke with a friend of mine who had outpatient surgery at a Metro Detroit area hospital. They were going to admit her, but advised her that there are lots of Covid cases at that particular hospital and in several metro Detroit hospitals, and felt it was in her health interest to have her go home and recover there, which is what she did. I was kind of surprised that there is that much of an increase in cases here in Metro Detroit- I know about California, but I haven't read or heard about a marked increase here.

Today (Wed 8/28/) I spoke with a friend of mine who had outpatient surgery at a Metro Detroit area hospital. They were going to admit her, but advised her that there are lots of Covid cases at that particular hospital and in several metro Detroit hospitals, and felt it was in her health interest to have her go home and recover there, which is what she did. I was kind of surprised that there is that much of an increase in cases here in Metro Detroit- I know about California, but I haven't read or heard about a marked increase here.
I know the UK has been having a big spike all summer, so it's not just California/the USA. I just assume it's spiking pretty much everywhere...

I know the UK has been having a big spike all summer, so it's not just California/the USA. I just assume it's spiking pretty much everywhere...
I kinda know it is probably in most states in the US, but I was surprised that there appear to be quite a bit of increased hospitalizations in this area. I guess I was hoping MIchigan was not surging too much.

made an online appt today- they do not tell you whether you will get the "new" COVID shot, the "old" COVID shot or what manufacturer's shot they are offering... I hope that unlike last year, when I get to the pharmacy, they will actually have vaccine :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayraeyn123
Back