Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gack, the cases in my county, Santa Clara County, just jumped from 48 to 66 overnight, and out of 66, 31 are hospitalized!

That’s almost 5o%.... kind of different than the statistics I’ve come to expect.

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Public Health Department - County of Santa Clara

Sorry to hear, MJPeony.

#COVID19 Italy total cases exceeds 15000 and death toll exceeds 1000.
Crude fatality rate now ~6.7%!
- Total cases: 12462➡️15113
- Death toll: 827➡️1016
To quote @OtelloVC:
"We have no time to lose (in US). And may the fates look upon us with mercy."
Lessons from Italy: How the US Can Respond to the Urgent Coronavirus Threat - TimmermanReport.com Andy Biotech on Twitter

Andy Biotech on Twitter

Marking article and graphs, thank you.
(Tagging “Italy graphs” / article also appears to have a China graph upon a quick glance - grabbing for later)

Last edited:
How coronavirus is straining the US legal system - CNNPolitics
''New York (CNN)Days before lawyers were set to square off this week in a New York City courtroom over a civil dispute between two financial institutions, a partner at one attorney's law firm tested positive for coronavirus. The trial was postponed for two weeks.

Federal courts in Connecticut and Massachusetts on Thursday postponed all jury trials until mid- to late-April. In Michigan, state courts have recommended halting all civil and criminal trials unless a defendant is in custody, as well as any hearings that include "vulnerable" people, such as those over 60 years old. In federal courthouses near Kirkland, Washington, one of the areas hardest hit by the virus, it's turned into a near ghost town — all trials and grand jury proceedings, which would affect prosecutions, are on hold. In Connecticut, there are 12 jury selections scheduled between now and April 10, according to the clerk of the court.
As concerns about the spread of the virus have escalated in recent days, actual infections and fear of the coronavirus have begun to grind the scales of justice in pockets of the country under states of emergency as judges, prison officials and lawyers struggle to balance the constitutional rights of defendants against the concerns that the public institutions could unwittingly become contamination sites.''

(Tagging @gitana1 to make sure she sees this.)

ME TOO.....

"I really, really want to read a story explaining exactly how the Utah Jazz managed to get their hands on 58 COVID-19 tests in a matter of hours."

Tom Ley on Twitter

I’m guessing maybe via some sort of attempt at prioritization, based on cluster potential/citizen exposure rate, contact tracing purposes, etc. moo

First coronavirus case confirmed in east Africa

All major public events have been banned in Kenya after it confirmed the first case of coronavirus in east Africa.

The patient is a woman who had returned to the country from the United States via the UK.

Health Minister Mutahi Kagwe told reporters on Friday morning

I want to inform you that the Ministry of Health has confirmed the first coronavirus case in Kenya.

The case is a Kenyan citizen who travelled back to Nairobi, returning from the United States of America via London, United Kingdom, on March 5, 2020.

Coronavirus live updates: Justin Trudeau's wife tests positive, Australia limits gatherings, sport in crisis

Is there a poll yet on how many of us are wearing masks and/or gloves if we have to go out in public? I'm just curious. When I stocked up on rice on Monday/Tuesday and searched fruitlessly for hand sanitizer/aloe gel I only saw a handful of people with masks on. The situation might look different on Friday, but I'm not going to venture to the store to find out.

I went to Book Club at a Barnes and Noble store Tuesday without too much concern. I used a lot of hand sanitizer, didn't hug anyone and tried to keep a safe distance. On Wednesday, it seemed to be a tipping point for me with a suspected case at work, the NBA case and season stoppage and then Tom Hanks announcing he and his wife tested positive. I went out Wednesday to stock up at two stores feeling "it was my last chance" for a somewhat normal shopping experience before it really got bad. I have bought masks and gloves online. I'm still going out walking my dog but staying away from other people. I'm planning to hunker down at home for the foreseeable future. If I do go out in public for some reason I will evaluate mask and glove usage at that moment. Luckily I can work from home and my husband too but he gets cabin fever so is still leaving at least once a day . Our new rule is that whenever either of us go out then we immediately shower upon returning and wash the clothes we were wearing. Not sure if that will help but it makes me feel better to not have him wearing those clothes all around the house

Our school finally canceled all the international student trips and a bunch of other things although campuses are still open for now. I suspect they won’t be for long. It’s been a very stressful week at work and my chest has been hurting for two days. It’s a symptom of my anxiety disorder. I’m hitting the grocery store by my home this morning at 6 am when they open to hopefully avoid crowds. I have a plan...grab as many boxes of mrs grass chicken soup as they have, noodles, Sprite Zero, coffee and water. I’m pretty well stocked up otherwise but when I get anxious I eat soup for some reason.

Stay safe everyone!

CNN on Twitter

“We have to look out for each other." Former President Barack Obama asked for people to consider each other as they wonder why so many places are shutting down due to the coronavirus outbreak. cnn.it/38KIJSP

I appreciate that he said this a lot, for many reasons, moo, especially because he has ability to help inspire awareness.

(Non political statement, has nothing to do with red or blue, but simply solidarity. As Dr. Tedros says, we all share a common enemy.)

Last edited:
Being an Ohioan I have so many mixed feelings and reactions. Do I have it? My husband? My kids? My grandkids? My sister? Have I been worrying for weeks about us getting it when we already have it?

I hear ya....I know we all must have various thoughts/concerns/reactions/emotions/anxieties...I sure do. Hugs.

Directed at no one in particular, but why is there a discussion about the power going out due to Coronavirus? Is this speculation or is there a basis (link) for the discussion? I can't keep up with this thread. OMG. :eek:

People were discussing having cash on hand for various reasons. I don’t see any harm in informing people of ways to be prepared for all types of situations.

eta - I don’t recall seeing anyone saying the power is going out bc of coronavirus but okay. Let’s turn the convo back to bidets I guess

Last edited:
Directed at no one in particular, but why is there a discussion about the power going out due to Coronavirus? Is this speculation or is there a basis (link) for the discussion? I can't keep up with this thread. OMG. :eek:

Just speculation... It takes people to keep the power grid operation. The power company employees can/will become sick,this will could have an impact.

Power companies "share" employees during mass outages, use a lot of contract workers, etc. These employees /contract folks can and are on the move from state to state. Some will become sick, quarantined or chose not to work to protect themselves and family.

Yup, power grid could be impacted. MOO

91D4F0BF-3287-4695-BF37-65EB2E63FC81.jpeg

Jing Fong, NYC’s largest Chinese restaurant, closes as coronavirus hurts business

Jing Fong, the city’s largest Chinese restaurant, has closed.

After 48 years in business, the iconic restaurant known for its classic dim sum carts, is shuttering due to a slowdown triggered by the coronavirus outbreak, said Claudia Leo, the restaurant’s marketing director.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/12/jing-...taurant-closes-as-coronavirus-hurts-business/

Unfortunately this is likely to be a common occurrence in the weeks and months ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member