Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Constable told me that he was called to help last night at the local DG when “out of towners” came in a group and just started raking stuff off shelves with their arms into multiple buggies.
What the heck?! Has the world gone crazy?

(It’s a small community of about 1000 people - 80 miles from a big city. And the manager/employees know the regulars by name. When he checked driver’s licenses - they lived two counties away!)
If they weren't stockpiling, they're probably reselling at ridiculous prices like the $60 bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol I saw on ebay that's $2.40 at Walmart. Times like these do bring out the best and worst of humanity.

ER docs' recommendations:
1) Nationalize production of PPE, testing kits, ventilators (like in wartime)
2) Suspend EMTALA
3) Activate FEMA and DMAT teams
4) Pop-up Field Hospitals w ICU capability
5)Decentralized testing AWAY from hospital/ED
6)Drive through testing capability
7) Severe travel/gathering restrictions
8) Broad PSAs for pts explaining what to do/NOT do
9) National Telemedicine for screening patients
10) Lock down SNFs; caregivers in PPE
11) State ACEP for incident command structure
12) Emergency $$$ to compensate quarantined/sick
#EMDocs

Graham Walker on Twitter

I posted a few threads ago about our friend from Georgia that called and completely poo poo'd the virus--said "it was just like getting a cold" etc. etc. He was actually kind of a bully towards me lol. Anyway, he called this morning. His tune has completely changed. He said to my husband "she was right about everything".

I wish I wasn't right...but I do feel somewhat validated.

Anyway, I think with the mass shutdowns of everything that people are beginning to see the light and take this seriously.

One thing about mass shut downs, is that those who are not socially responsible enough to social distance on their own, will be forced to, and that should help flatten the curve.
It would be nice to hear more about how governments are assisting people who might need to stay home from work.

I believe that Canada has eliminated the waiting period for Employment Insurance. That will be helpful. Have we heard what other countries are doing about forced unemployment?

UK insurance firms halt sale of travel cover
Two of the biggest UK insurance firms, Direct Line and Churchill, have halted the sale of travel insurance to new customers because of the coronavirus, PA news agency reports.

A statement from Direct Line Group, on behalf of both firms, said: "Due to the impact coronavirus is having across the world we have experienced a huge increase in demand for travel insurance.

"Our priority is to protect and service our existing customers and therefore we have taken the difficult decision to temporarily suspend the sale of travel insurance to new customers so that we can focus on our existing customers."

Axa, another large firm, has put a notice on its website saying: "If you purchase a new policy now, it will not cover any trip cancellation or disruption in relation to coronavirus."

And Aviva said earlier this week it was adjusting its cover in light of the pandemic, so customers can no longer select add-on cover for "travel disruption" or "airspace closures".

Coronavirus updates: Borders shut as coronavirus cases rise - BBC News

We will NOT be able to contain, in the general public without PPE (personal protection equipment....mask, gowns, gloves. We need to prepare to care for family and friends at home, especially mild cases.

Until, the US GOVERNMENT is able to procure testing and PPE for the general public transmission will continue. Every photo from China, Japan, etc show folks wearing mask.

The total lack of PPE, test kits and freedom of movement will insure, cross contamination ,high death rates and reinfection.

Washington needs to lock down the country, ALL borders,and try to work with WHO for supplies and test kits.

Are we to proud to beg for help? China is helping other countries with supplies, but NO mention of help for the US. Where is WHO? We give millions to support WHO, why are they not help us?

I urge everyone on this thread to reach out to our Congressional Representatives and our president and demand they seek world assistance. Its not about showing the world how great we are, it's about Americans survival.

Moo....
Agree, good post SS.
US has burned so many bridges lately, few countries will come to our aid. Certainly not China.
I read just in last few weeks a political loyalist
was put in position to liason w/ WHO and United Nations. That could be why WHO is
criticizing which countries are not stepping up
to control the spread. WHO has not been kind
to US. Backroom shenanigans that don't make the news right now. We made our bed and now must lie in it.
Relationships matter, in good times and bad.

Hi Folks! I decided to stay home from work and take a “mental health” day to prepare, as well as an opportunity to stay away from others. I am glad I did as an email came in saying that there were breakfast goodies in the staff kitchen. Sigh.

I finalized my hunker-down grocery and pet food order at ShopRite. In addition, I bought TheraFlu, acetaminophen, Lysol wipes and sprays. I was surprised to see them all in stock (no hand sanitizer at all), but we will see when the delivery arrives tomorrow. I have everything else. I refuse to go into any stores or gatherings for the next few days, to see where this virus takes us.

My daughter is a little freaked out in Brooklyn, still taking the subway to Manhattan every so often. She said she couldn’t find any hand sanitizer or wipes, that someone stole the 1 sanitizer from her, then later texted that she found both a 1.75oz sanitizer and 35 count Lysol wipes at the Dollar Store for $5 each. o_O I tried warning her earlier.

She had a flight out of state next weekend that she cancelled and was worried that Manhattan would turn into Wutan. I told her this isn’t China and explained that Cuomo is doing his best under these circumstances in taking good care of New York and just follow his advice and any warnings.

Off to find Governor Cuomo’s address from this morning that someone mentioned upthread.

I know late last night some members from Norway and Sweden posted that they were under a countrywide lockdown. Let us know what you are experiencing, as well as the members from Italy, we could all use your advice and encouragement as we deal with this catastrophe on our own.

Stay safe everyone!

Take care. Glad you are having a rest day. At least from work. We keep you busy I know.

And thanks for all you do.

GEORGIA

Breaking: Fulton Co Superior Court Chief Judge Christopher Brasher: “...THE ORDER of the Court that no jurors or grand jurors shall report and no jury trials shall be held for a period of thirty (30) days from the date of the entry of this Order.” #coronavirus @wsbtv
Mark Winne on Twitter

Good morning to all. I sure could use a Survival Breakfast Burrito delivery to go with this coffee ..........Yall stay safe today.......moo
I posted a few threads ago about our friend from Georgia that called and completely poo poo'd the virus--said "it was just like getting a cold" etc. etc. He was actually kind of a bully towards me lol. Anyway, he called this morning. His tune has completely changed. He said to my husband "she was right about everything".

I wish I wasn't right...but I do feel somewhat validated.

Anyway, I think with the mass shutdowns of everything that people are beginning to see the light and take this seriously.
Still waiting on our company pres. to come around, we service the local hospitals .....sigh!

I'm a huge believer in high quality education. Otherwise we'd have endless theories such as how cedar in your shoes will prevent you from contacting COVID-19. Hey it worked for my sister's friend! It must be true.

To be clear, I'm NOT anti-education, just happy to see students working directly with the labs to help right now.

Constable told me that he was called to help last night at the local DG when “out of towners” came in a group and just started raking stuff off shelves with their arms into multiple buggies.
What the heck?! Has the world gone crazy?

(It’s a small community of about 1000 people - 80 miles from a big city. And the manager/employees know the regulars by name. When he checked driver’s licenses - they lived two counties away!)

Wow, raking stuff off the shelves is absurd. Congrats to those people on probably ending up with a bunch of crap they don't want or need. I was luckily able to do a decent Peapod order, cat food order, and send my husband to the store before it was declared a pandemic. So I haven't physically been in any store myself, but some of the things I've heard remind me of Black Friday horror stories. It seems like once everyone heard the P word, they panicked, whether they want to admit it or not (idk how some people are still acting like its not a big deal, but I won't get started on that). I'd bet a large majority of "shelf-rakers" are the same people who pretend like the virus is no big deal and everyone is overreacting.

That being said. I've seen a lot of angry posts (on other sites) directed at people who bought more stuff than the angry OP deemed to be fair/necessary/appropriate. I don't doubt a lot of people are selfishly hoarding TP and other essentials, but maybe the person is buying for multiple people. At work yesterday, we sent one person to the store to get last minute stuff for each of us to take home. I am sure he got some dirty looks when he had multiple cases of water, TP, paper towels, lysol.... etc. It was a no brainer to send one person to do all of the dirty work. The less people out and about the better.

moo.... to offer another perspective on the stockpiling issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member