Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to purchase hand sanitizer about 10-days to 2 weeks ago here, but was out of luck both at stores (in & out of my immediate neighborhood), as well as online. Friends in other neighborhoods had the same problem.

Then, I decided to make my own using alcohol and aloe vera gel, but was unable to find any aloe gel, again both at stores as well as online.

I'm certainly more than uncomfortable boarding any NYC subway or bus or even running chores for a period of time without a hand sanitizer in my possession!

Yesterday was a nightmare - I'm referring to the PANIC BUYING that occurred in some NYC boroughs. I was unable to even use InstaCart to have food essentials delivered yesterday morning. At first, I thought it was an error on the website, but I soon learned the earliest delivery was Sunday afternoon! Last night, the earliest delivery available was Monday nite. Today - it's Tuesday pm. I wasn't even looking to purchase face masks, or even hand sanitizer at that point (and certainly not TP), but the panic buying appeared to be fairly out of control here yesterday.

It's very disturbing to say the least:

Panic Buying: Shoppers Throng NYC Stores Amid Coronavirus Fears

Jake Glanville....from Netflix show Pandemic....

(1 of 2) Two people just reached out to ask if I was ok: apparently I have been posting so much recently that when I stopped for the last two days people noticed. I’m fine. There is some good news that I can discuss soon regarding our #COVID19 antibody engineering program.

In starker news, the modeling i posted a few days ago appears to be holding: hospitals across the nation will run out of ICU space over the next three weeks. Please encourage leadership to establish ICU extension facilities and recruit additional medical staff now in preparation.

Jacob Glanville on Twitter

I'm more optimistic today than I've been in awhile with efforts from the private sector. Americans do not give up. We will survive this. People are listening to the experts like Scott Gottlieb. Go follow the doctors on twitter and turn off the tv....IMO

I do follow him, he's very smart man. All of his "suggestions" are the same I hear daily.

Wish he was still at CDC, maybe things would be different.
Ioo

Unfortunately, it is indeed a health strategy to have herd immunity in an epidemic/pandemic - that is why they are saying folks with most vulnerability to take measures above and beyond. We have no treatments/vacines to take out folks from the cycle, so we only have the option to take out folks because they get infected. Once control is lost in an area which may go wild/out of control, herd immunity will help. So those most vulnerable must must must bunker down during this period while it is wide spread. MOO It's the same as/part of decreasing rate of spread with NPI's (non pharmaceutical interventions) of which there are many. It is part of what was done in Wuhan, what is in process in South Korea. Someone upthread did a good video on affect of the curve if folks were taken out of the "potential folks that could be infected" (e.g. what is know well as to why have vaccines.. as it creates herd immunity) and the effect to the logarithmic curve.

MOO

It’s an inept psychological response to accept healthy people with a 30% decreased lung capacity after surviving a disease rather than taking actual measures to test and quarantine people.

This isn’t a third world country, it’s the UK. Implementing some theoretical response to a new virus instead of what is actually working in Taiwan and South Korea is so stupid it rises to the level of negligence.

The people who are the most vulnerable are the LEAST able to completely isolate. They need care for day to day living. This is not only stupid but also morally bankrupt.

I'm more optimistic today than I've been in awhile with efforts from the private sector. Americans do not give up. We will survive this. People are listening to the experts like Scott Gottlieb. Go follow the doctors on twitter and turn off the tv....IMO

I am so impressed by the private sector taking it upon themselves to make financially crippling decisions to close venues and cancel events. A power vacuum is always filled and I’m glad it’s being filled with altruistic and long-term thinking.

Sorry for the unintended bolding.
Friday, March 13, 2020 12:35PM EDT
Ontario reports 19 new COVID-19 cases, total rises to 79
''Ontario reports 19 new COVID-19 cases, total rises to 79
to date, health officials have not confirmed any cases of community spread in Ontario.

The increase in active cases from Thursday evening to Friday represents a 32 per cent rise in the Ontario total.

The new case disclosure includes Sophie Gregoire Trudeau, who is listed in the official report as an Ottawa female in her 40s, with recent travel to England.

Fourteen of the new cases range in age from men and women in their 20s to their 80s, with four of the new patients reporting recent travel to the United States.

Two of the patients, a man and woman in their 70s, disclosed recent travel to Egypt and were diagnosed at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto.

Two of the cases were considered close contact of previously reported patients. Officials listed another two patients’ infections being caused by either travel or close contact with another patient.''

Thst was me, until 2 months ago. I'm linked up with 20 or so doctors with extensive experience in public health.....
I recently got back on and it's a good source of timely information. I've also found that there are some genuinely funny people in this world. There's also some lunatics that I laugh *at* (or roll my eyes at in disgust) but I really enjoy the people who post things that make me laugh *with* them.

Our Governor is D. and Secretary of State R.

Louisiana's presidential primary election to be delayed because of coronavirus

Gov. John Bel Edwards' administration confirmed the governor will grant the delay Friday. Christina Stephens, an Edwards spokeswoman, said it's an "extraordinary measure but one we feel is prudent."

"We’re one of the few states that is supposed to have an election in early April, which we think could potentially be the height of some of this in Louisiana," Stephens said. "Our poll workers are by large elderly, over the age of 70 and we think it is unsafe for them to be monitoring the election. We don’t think we would have enough poll workers...and we think we should be discouraging people from congregating in that way."

Ardoin's office pointed to a section of the law that allows for the "emergency suspension or delays and rescheduling" of elections because of the possibility of an emergency or disaster.

The state law says the governor, through an executive order declaring a state of emergency, can suspend or delay elections "only upon the certification of the secretary of state that a state of emergency exists."

Jake Glanville....from Netflix show Pandemic....

(1 of 2) Two people just reached out to ask if I was ok: apparently I have been posting so much recently that when I stopped for the last two days people noticed. I’m fine. There is some good news that I can discuss soon regarding our #COVID19 antibody engineering program.

In starker news, the modeling i posted a few days ago appears to be holding: hospitals across the nation will run out of ICU space over the next three weeks. Please encourage leadership to establish ICU extension facilities and recruit additional medical staff now in preparation.

Jacob Glanville on Twitter

I follow him as well. Had noticed he hadn't posted (tweeted?) in a while, but I figured (hoped?) he was very busy trying to save the world.

I appreciate and respect your opinion.

I do have good information. Our governor Northam and the Virginia Department of Health recent press conference discussed the lack of testing kits and CEO of VA Hospital Association spoke and stressed the lack of and NEED for physicians, nurses and supplies and equipment. The VA VHD director explicitly said, we only test those with direct exposure and nursing home patients with the CDC provided test kits. If you need testing contact your physician and try to contact a private lab!!! All VA supplies will go to first responders,hospitals will need to secure their own.

I KNOW and helped prepare my community disaster plan. Now I realized it's just words on paper. We plan to use an old run down National Guard Armory to stage over flow from the hospital, with Red Cross cots. My hospital CURRENTLY has all N95 mask and hazmat suits under lock and key to prevent theft. My local Rescue Squad, as we don't have a paid one is almost totally out of n95 mask. I've worked 40 plus yrs on front line healthcare management . I KNOW what the projected death rates are, I know the lack of resources and supplies hospitals went through a stock loss program back in the late 90s.

Every physician, the CDC anyone speaking to the media is saying the same thing.....we need testing, mitigate transmission and lack of supplies.

Not sure what source you want me to look at, that can place a positive spin on this. But please, post I'm looking for some positive news.

IMOO...maybe I just need to be quite....

The private laboratory sector is coming through with much better access to testing: Quest and LabCorp right now, soon Mayo Medical Laboratories.

As the FDA pulls it's head slowly out of the sand we have expedited authorization for testing platforms that provide more AUTOMATED testing, which will improve the number of specimens that can be resulted in a day. Right now, there is a fair amount of manual, medical technologist hands-on work that is needed to start the processing of the specimens to be tested. That is slowing things down. And, there are shortages of some of the technical supplies needed to processes these specimens for the final testing.

It will improve, but not instantly.

( And yes, this is something CDC and FDA could have learned from China's experience)

I faced this with one of my friends last week really Frustrating! I bought an extra bottle of 91% alcohol for her six rolls of toilet paper and a bag of dog food for her dogs. But, I did not tell her I’m keeping it at my house for now because I think she will laugh at me if I try to give it to her.

Did the same for my dear daughter and my good neighbor in denial. Last evening, he said I went to the grocery store to stock up on a few things and there's no alcohol or toilet paper, but he was able to get one of the last quarts of milk.
When I started to stock up DD stopped by to visit and thought I'd hit a big sale. She immediately began to "shop" from my stockpile. I always have plenty and she is use to shopping at Mommiemart but that day I stopped her and explained it was emergency stock. She laughed at me, stated I was over reacting, now she can't find toilet paper or hand sanitizer. I'm dispersing in small quantities.

Last edited:
'We will help Canadians financially': PM Trudeau - CityNews Toronto
''Trudeau tried to ease the collective anxiety of Canadians during his address.

“I know that you are worried, you are worried about your health, your family’s health, about your job, your savings, about paying rent, about your kids not being in school. I know that you’re concerned about uncertainty in the global economy. The steps being taken to keep you safe have an economic impact. But what is also true is we are in the enviable position of having significant fiscal firepower available to support you.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez