Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw a photo of an elderly woman trying to buy supplies and the shelf was empty. This is what the hysteria has done. Those who are most vulnerable and less agile are left out in the cold.
I just saw a photo of an elderly woman trying to buy supplies and the shelf was empty. This is what the hysteria has done. Those who are most vulnerable and less agile are left out in the cold.

You mean the hysteria of following the CDC recommendations of having a few weeks of food? I think you mean just in time grocery delivery. If people had taken it seriously weeks ago they could have and should have already increased supply. They did it in the UK and are managing the groceries nationwide to make sure there is enough. You have no idea how much people got. The panic was caused by people not listening and waiting to the last minute.

To be fair, he sort of can't. Politicians, teachers, religious leaders, first responders and health care workers are at highest risk for catching this because of all the people they come into contact with.
Totally agree.
So where does that leave us?
I am thinking grateful not to be in that position.
No matter who I have voted for in the past , I have always supported my President.
Why does it matter if he has been tested?
We should be more concerned with ourselves, our families, our friends and neighbors, self isolating, social distancing et al.
I could care less if Trudeau or Tom Hanks has the virus.
MOO.

I think it is difficult to know when to test someone.
Some stuff I’ve read elsewhere amazes me. Like: someone bumped into me at wmt but I can’t get tested, I went for a job interview, should I get tested?, I dropped my keys on the floor, do I need a test. Do people not read or watch press conferences?
I would think he needs to be tested. He actually met quite a few people that might have been exposed to covid.

Aye Write book festival shelved as virus spreads

One of Scotland's largest book festivals has been cancelled over coronavirus fears.

Aye Write was due to take place from 12 to 29 March in Glasgow but organisers announced on Friday that due to the number of participants pulling out, they were forced to cancel.

The festival is the latest in a long list of events which will not go ahead as the pandemic evolves.

I cannot believe there are this many threads. Wash your hands frequently. Don't touch your face. Use hand sanitizer between handwashing. Do not touch most contaminated surfaces directly (any part of public bathrooms, light switches, doorknobs, toilet handles, toilet seats) Lysol (or alcohol) everything daily. Going to the store to stock up is how you're going to get this - close contact with people, the cart, the basket handle, the counter where you put your purchases. Order your items from online, put the box away, wash your hands then open the box 24 hours after delivery. (that last bit is a little overboard, imo)

and FYI , I have and am closely related to several people with breathing issues +/or compromised immune systems. It's not that I don't care. If the H1N1 didn't kill you, this won't either. MOO

Wow. So the world is insane? You can take all the precautions in the world and still have someone cough on you if you’re out in public.

This is serious. The CDC has stated we need to practice social distancing of six feet from one another. But not everyone has that option.

Your statement that if H1N1 didn’t kill you this won’t either is illogical. People catch and die of diseases based on contact with the disease and susceptibility. Not based on whether or not they didn’t catch and/or die from another unrelated disease.

And how are people going to order online when everything has to shut down? You think the workers in the factories making and shipping the product and in the shipping companies are immune to the disease?

Haven't posted the last few days....I feel overwhelmed .
Every night I take melatonin to sleep, which results in these wonderful detailed dreams of beautiful places. Every morning I wake up to the reality....every day the news is worse.

It's next door to my area now. This school district has shut down all schools.
On Nextdoor it's finally being talked about, after such unbelievable dismissal in my area. Two people are ranting and raving that they wan't to see PROOF of why their kids can't go to school. Totally unaware and still believing this is all out of proportion. AND still claiming that kids don't get this, so why all the upheaval. smh

Worried sick for my daughter, who just starting working in the ER of a major hospital in Baltimore. She expects that she will contract Covid- 19, and tries to reassure me that being young and healthy, she will be ok. She's more worried about me, being nearly 70. I've been holed up at home the last two weeks, plenty of supplies....though I do have to get more dry goods.

Cousins in Holland, and one in Spain....I worry about them too. And all those poor people who have jobs they can't do from home....all the elderly, who might be alone.

To the powers that be....Stop this nightmare.

Rant over. Stay safe everyone.
Hang in there! You have friends here anytime.

Coronavirus: Scottish football suspended until further notice

The Scottish football season has been suspended until further notice amid the coronavirus outbreak, the SPFL has confirmed.

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said it was "neither realistic nor possible" to continue with matches.

The postponements begin with Friday's Premiership match between Motherwell and Aberdeen, and Queen of the South against Ayr United in the Championship.

Sunday's Old Firm derby at Ibrox will also not be played.

Orange County, CA Register newspaper:

Orange County superintendent recommends closure of all public schools due to coronavirus risk – Orange County Register

Superintendent recommends closing 615 preK-12 schools serving 485,500 students

Marines test positive for coronavirus at Camp Pendleton, Miramar as bases change how they operate – Orange County Register

Marines at Camp Pendleton-1 and Miramar-1 test positive for coronavirus (both bases are in San Diego County, but Pendleton shares border with Orange County and Marines & families live in both counties). The 2 Marines recently were in WA state on leave.

The call I received from the Superintendant of Anaheim said they were headed to an emergency meeting at 12:00 and would call all the parents later today. They are sending each student home with a chrome book. I fully expect today is the last day of school for a while.

You mean the hysteria of following the CDC recommendations of having a few weeks of food? I think you mean just in time grocery delivery. If people had taken it seriously weeks ago they could have and should have already increased supply. They did it in the UK and are managing the groceries nationwide to make sure there is enough. You have no idea how much people got. The panic was caused by people not listening and waiting to the last minute.

Some are lucky they can afford to stock up. Not everyone can do that.

It was really strange to be asking questions and taking the temperatures of people as a screening tool when there are no test kits. I was told not to notify anyone unless a person's temperature was 100.4 or higher. Several people had temp's in the 99.3-99.4 range. Even if I was a doctor, with double the years of education plus, I would not know which one of these people might have corona virus vs. sinusitis vs. a routine cold. It really felt useless. And I still had to complete my regular work load. A surreal experience.
were you testing them to see if they were eligible to work and for documentation?

I don't believe we have been advised to stockpile in the UK. On the contrary I think we have been told to shop as normal. I could be wrong though

WASHINGTON

Here are the projections for Seattle region:
If no improvement on transmissions from March 10, infections through April 7 will cause 400 deaths
• If transmissions can be reduced by 50%, only 100 deaths
• If transmissions reduced by 75%, only 30 deaths
Efforts to Control Coronavirus in the U.S. Could Get Even More Extreme Mike Baker on Twitter

Mike Baker on Twitter

IMO extreme measures are needed. Shut ‘er down. Reduce transmission if only by inconvenience. If that doesn’t work (think idiots), use the National Guard. Throw those in jail who decide their own daily activities are worth more that the lives of others.

NYT - Op ED - How to Fix the Test Mess in 7 Days

Opinion | How to Fix the Coronavirus Testing Mess in 7 Days

Quotes from article:

The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was asked at a congressional hearing on Thursday who was in charge of making sure that people can be tested for Covid-19, especially health care workers.

Was it he, the vice president or someone else?

Dr. Robert Redfield, the C.D.C. director, replied that his responsibility was only to ensure that state public health laboratories have access to the test. Pressed further, he said he would look into who was in charge.[BBM]

If he didn’t know, that’s a problem. On Friday morning, President Trump took a belated but welcome step by designating Brett Giroir, the assistant secretary of health, to be responsible for the government’s testing response.

There’s no reason the testing infrastructure can’t be up and running in seven days so that every person in America who needs a test can be tested. The president should demand it.

The state health labs that Dr. Redfield is responsible for represent only a fraction of the testing capacity in the United States. But that capacity is expanding every day. It includes university, private, research, state public health and federal laboratories.

Here’s what the federal government needs to do to take full advantage of that growing capacity:

First, the president’s testing chief should work with the governors of each state to coordinate testing at all laboratories with capacity and push for the expansion of testing capability where possible.

Then, the Defense Department and the U.S. Public Health Service should be enlisted to work with governors to set up mobile specimen collection units throughout the country, staffed with medics, giving priority to areas most affected. First priority for testing should be given to hospitals, nursing homes and health care workers.

The testing chief should recruit FedEx, Amazon, the United Parcel Service and the U.S. Postal Service to coordinate the safe transfer of all specimens from the mobile collection sites to the laboratories.

Big tech companies like Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon and Salesforce should be brought into the effort to work with testing laboratories to set up a data management system to handle the flow of specimens and the resulting information, including the delivery of results to patients and their doctors.

The testing chief should also coordinate with the C.D.C., the American Medical Association, the Infectious Diseases Society and the American Nurses Association to give clear guidance to the public on who should be tested, what the test means and what steps should follow if the test is positive.

Seven days. That’s what it should take to bring the badly lagging United States up to speed in its battle against the fast-spreading virus.

(Disclosure: Former Vice President Joe Biden recently asked me to join a group of experts to advise him on the coronavirus situation. This is not a partisan issue, and I have worked for both Republican and Democratic presidents.)

David A. Kessler, M.D., is a professor of epidemiology, biostatistics and pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. He is a former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration.

I just received a call from a friend who lives a couple of blocks from me. We are both over 65 and are planning to self isolate until this thing settles down. He called to let me know that he had bought supplies and food in very large quantities and if I should run low to give him a call. He will bring it over and put it on my porch. He also bought supplies for his very elderly next door neighbor who is in physical and financial dire straits. I think (and hope) that we see a lot of this happening during this crisis.

awesome person!

We just got news my granddaughter, 9 yrs old, is negative for Coronavirus but positive for Influenza B. She has an extreme case, very ill. She is highly contagious. So far other family members are okay but may show signs earlier next week. Doctors were really sure it was Coronavirus and surprised them with the test results.

So everyone besides Coronavirus these is Influenza B and A That also are just as serious for people.

I hope for her fast recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member