Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does your library have ebooks to check out? Look into that option!

Another suggestion I've seen out on social media - internet service providers, cable companies, etc. need to open up internet download speed and access for everyone. People need to access the internet for news, information, education, work, etc. This is why our grandparents generation made sure all media (back then radio & broadcast tv) was owned and governed by the public, licensed annually to media companies. We need that again.

My parents used to go to Bike Week. All these people may be exposed and when they return home, they are exposing others. Why won't people just be responsible??????

Is Bike Week worth risking your life??? To me the answer is NO.

I just did a drive thru errand. I was shocked how many ppl are at McDonalds, as I sped past. Countless number of women walking in with children. Stainless steel holds the virus for hours. It sickens me to think of all the people sprawled across the SS counters. Moo

ANDY SLAVITT

Currently experts expect over 1 million deaths in the U.S. since the virus was not contained & we cannot even test for it.
This will be recorded as a major preventable public health disaster.

The only way to prevent Italy given our lack of testing is to socially isolate. Congress even allocates money for people to stay home. That rarely happens. But we blew our chance at containment. 5/

Andy Slavitt on Twitter

STAY HOME....SAVE LIVES

This virus is really improving health care coverage and sick leave benefits for low wage workers.

And both political parties agreed with this. What an amazing turn around. A silver lining in this cloud.

As a long time health care activist I'll say right now the PR they're putting out is greater than the reality.

In reality the only thing they're offering is free coronavirus tests. That's it. No treatment, no other health care coverage, etc. If you lose your health care coverage because of being furloughed from your job, you're out of luck so far. You will get a free coronavirus test if you show symptoms, though.

Here's a link to the Twitter feed for Wendell Potter, a former executive at Cigna who works on health care reform. He's keeping up with the events in this area. Am looking for a few others.

Wendell Potter (@wendellpotter) | Twitter

The big push for many is to progress along to Medicare For All. That's still going to be a difficult fight.

China Traces Cornoavirus to First Confirmed Case, Nearly Identifying 'Patient Zero'
Source article referred to by Newsweek article below:

China’s first confirmed Covid-19 case traced back to November 17

China traces coronavirus to first confirmed case, nearly identifying "patient zero"

Quotes from article:

The first confirmed case of someone suffering from COVID-19 in China can be traced back as far as November 17 last year, according to local reports.

The South China Morning Post reported it had seen government data showing that a 55-year-old from Hubei may have had the first confirmed case of the new coronavirus on November 17, but did not make the data public. The newspaper also said that it was possible there were cases reported before the November date set out in the government data, adding that Chinese officials had identified 266 cases of COVID-19 last year.

Newsweek has contacted the World Health Organization (WHO) asking if it has been made aware of the data reportedly seen by the South China Morning Post. This article will be updated with any response.

patients-queue-wuhan-hospital.jpg

Patients who recovered from the COVID-19 coronavirus wear protective clothing as they line up to be tested again at a hospital in Wuhan on March 14, 2020.STR/AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES
The WHO says its country office in China first received reports of a "pneumonia of unknown cause" detected in the city of Wuhan in the Hubei province on December 31 last year.

It added that authorities said some of the early patients had been operators in the Huanan Seafood market.

The first patient to show symptoms of what would later be identified as the new coronavirus, known as COVID-19, presented themselves on December 8, according to Chinese officials. The World Health Organization classified the spread of the virus as a pandemic on Wednesday.

Ai Fen, a doctor from Wuhan, told China's People magazine in an interview for the title's March edition that authorities had tried to suppress her early warnings about COVID-19 in December.

At the time of writing, the novel coronavirus has spread worldwide and led to more than 147,000 cases of infection, according to the Johns Hopkins University tracker.

The majority of those cases (80,976) have been reported in China, with Hubei recording both the highest number of deaths and the most cases of total recovery.

A total of 67,790 cases of COVID-19 and 3,075 deaths associated with the virus have been confirmed in the province thus far, along with 52,960 recoveries and more than 11,755 existing cases.

By comparison, the United States has only confirmed 2,175 cases of the novel coronavirus and 47 associated deaths as of 10:12 a.m. (ET) on Saturday.

The WHO's Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus declared Europe to be the "epicenter" of the COVID-19 outbreak earlier this week.

"Europe has now become the epicenter of the pandemic with more reported cases and deaths than the rest of the world combined, apart from China," he said. "More cases are now being reported every day than were reported in China at the height of its epidemic."

As a long time health care activist I'll say right now the PR they're putting out is greater than the reality.

In reality the only thing they're offering is free coronavirus tests. That's it. No treatment, no other health care coverage, etc. If you lose your health care coverage because of being furloughed from your job, you're out of luck so far. You will get a free coronavirus test if you show symptoms, though.

Here's a link to the Twitter feed for Wendell Potter, a former executive at Cigna who works on health care reform. He's keeping up with the events in this area. Am looking for a few others.

Wendell Potter (@wendellpotter) | Twitter

The big push for many is to progress along to Medicare For All. That's still going to be a difficult fight.

This is the hugest step ever for low wage workers, who went to work sick. Finally, people "get it". If one of us gets sick, we all can get sick.

I’m happy to report that my brother’s school (Catholic school teacher near Oakland CA), is finally closing. They will have two half days on Monday and Tuesday to figure out how to do remote teaching and then it’s shut for two weeks. I hope longer because after that there’s only a week before their spring break.

My brother has asthma like me. As a child it was life threatening. He was in the hospital for much of his early childhood. He’s better than me now. I didn’t have it until age 12.

But I worry.

My other brother has hypertension (I just remembered that) and is a social worker. They have not closed the county offices and were still having larger meetings there last week. His wife also works there.

Public school districts in my area have closed now.

I’ve been trying to avoid news to some degree because I haven’t been breathing well for days and I’m paranoid about it. Some of it is likely bad allergies and some might be stress or psychosomatic to a degree. I hope everyone is caring for their mental health right now.

You know this reminds me of a world war. Somewhat how people felt at that time with anxiety, uncertainty, life changing as they knew it, depression, death, constant updates news, learning about the globe and geography to track the “battle zones”, etc. Except we all have a common enemy.

The last thing I wanted to mention is seeing how people have decimated the shelves of food and worrying about people who can’t stockpile or shop like that or get around much and could be isolated, I hope everyone who is not at risk, feeling well, and doesn’t have a cough or anything, can reach out to a neighbor or someone they know who might be vulnerable to see how they’re coping and if they need anything. Even if it’s just a friendly word from the porch.

Stay safe ya’ll.

so many people have the “no one can tell me what to do” attitude. Anyone that’s out and about in your community, look at parking lots. Here, no one is staying home, from the looks of things. Moo
Same thing here......moo..... My local Academy Sports is in the second or third day of a "baring the shelves run " on certain types of firearms, magazines, and lots of ammo also.....moo

Another suggestion I've seen out on social media - internet service providers, cable companies, etc. need to open up internet download speed and access for everyone. People need to access the internet for news, information, education, work, etc. This is why our grandparents generation made sure all media (back then radio & broadcast tv) was owned and governed by the public, licensed annually to media companies. We need that again.

DH and I discussed this yesterday. We were having computer issues (DH's laptop, my desktop) in the morning - slow loading, blank pages, etc. Land line was also down, but TVs were OK. We unplugged modem for a few minutes, plugged it back in, and hoped this might remedy the problem. Didn't work. Finally called Comcast to resend signal. Within 10 minutes, we were back online. We wondered if the slow service was related to many people working from home and/or students out of school and learning online. The need for swift internet access will be imperative in the coming weeks as more people work remotely, and with so many schools closed for several weeks, students need to be able to get assignments and instruction online.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member