Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents used to go to Bike Week. All these people may be exposed and when they return home, they are exposing others. Why won't people just be responsible??????

Is Bike Week worth risking your life??? To me the answer is NO.

My husband and I attend bike weeks in Vegas and Arizona. The scary thing is much of the biking crowd is aging. The last few years attendance has been dropping as everyone is getting older and the young ones don't care much for it. It is not good to have these events right now. We cancelled on the Arizona bike week scheduled for next month.

NEW YORK - 1st Death Reported

https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/first...&tpcc=nypbreaking&mpweb=755-8689570-719837703

Quotes from article:

ALBANY — Coronavirus has claimed its first life in New York.

A woman with underlying respiratory issues died in a New York City hospital, Gov. Cuomo announced this morning.

“We had last night a death in a New York City hospital of an 82-year-old woman who had coronavirus. She came into the hospital on March 3,” he said. “She contracted the coronavirus on top of emphysema, then she passed.”

New York now has 524 positive cases, an increase of 100 from yesterday, with 117 patients now in hospitals.

“We did 700 tests,” Cuomo said.

Testing capacity is going up, and more cases are being investigated by “disease detectives.”

New York state now has more cases than any other state in the US, with the number of newly confirmed infections surging past Washington state, once the epicenter of the outbreak.

I expect that this has already been posted, but I cannot read back 30 pages,

UK strategy......this is insane...
"Britain is effectively encouraging a potentially deadly virus to spread to the majority of the people who live here."

“Is it ethical to adopt a policy that threatens immediate casualties on the basis of an uncertain future benefit?”

How Britain’s Insanely Risky Coronavirus Experiment Will Affect the U.S.
Boris Johnson’s U.K. Virus Strategy Needs People to Catch the Disease

Familial transmission would be within nuclear type families rather than extended? Separate the herd.

United States - First Person to Person case documented

https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/how-coronavirus-was-transmitted-in-first-person-to-person-case-in-us/

Quotes from Article:

The first case of person-to-person coronavirus transmission in the US happened when a woman who traveled from China to Illinois in mid-January likely passed on the bug to her husband through “prolonged, unprotected contact,” new research reveals.

The woman, in her 60s, traveled to Wuhan on Christmas Day and returned to Illinois on Jan. 13, according to a study published in the medical journal The Lancet.

While In Wuhan, she regularly visited a hospitalized relative and other family members who were ill.

None of them had laboratory-confirmed COVID-19, but it’s unclear if any were tested.

Back at home, she went to an outpatient clinic for fever, fatigue and a cough — and was hospitalized that day for pneumonia.

She reported to medical professionals that her symptoms began as early as six days before admission, according to the findings.

Researchers learned that she had “frequent, close contact” with her husband — who had not traveled to Wuhan — on each of those days, while she had an active cough. She was also suffering from nausea, abdominal discomfort and dizziness.

“She and her husband live together, eat together, share a bed, and have frequent face-to-face interactions,” the researchers found. “Facemasks or other personal protective equipment were not used at the home.”

Her husband, who has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, was monitored because of his “high risk exposure” and tested positive for COVID-9 15 days after his wife first started feeling sick — though he reported some symptoms days earlier.

I laughed so hard I cried .. again.

Snipped from Seinfield episode:

I've experienced this in Secaucus Junction Train Station bathroom. It made me think of this episode. Too funny.

At least "Seinfeld" reruns are still on tv. We can watch and rewatch.

May I also recommend "Gilmore Girls." My go-to show when I need a dose of witty escapism. Life in Stars Hollow.

ADAM KUCHARSKI...HE KNOWS WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT...

I am deeply uncomfortable with the message that UK is actively pursuing ‘herd immunity’ as the main COVID-19 strategy. Our group’s scenario modelling has focused on reducing two main things: peak healthcare demand and deaths... 1/

For me, herd immunity has never been the outright aim, it’s been a tragic consequence of having a virus that - based on current evidence - is unlikely to be fully controllable in long term in the UK. 2/

See more at tweet...

Adam Kucharski on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

Any and all stores operating under the banner of Walmart International.

(I know, I know...many think I work for the devil :oops: Please don’t hate me for it)

I appreciate and greatly respect you and ALL the information you share.

I'm glad Wal-Mart is proactive, they will set the bar high for others to follow.

I am grateful to ALL Wal-Mart employees for going to work everyday, dealing with irate and hostile customers, and most of all for unloading trucks much needed supplies and stocking shelves. These folks are our friends, neighbors and family. HATS OFF to all Wal-Mart employees !!!!!

Please, keep sharing...

Moo

New York Times providing free access to coronavirus outbreak information on its website

The Coronavirus Outbreak

The Coronavirus Outbreak

President Trump is extending a travel ban to the United Kingdom and Ireland, effective midnight Monday.

We are providing free access to the most important news and useful guidance on the coronavirus outbreak to help readers understand the pandemic. The articles on this page are available if you have a New York Times account.

Latest Updates
Updated
March 14, 2020, 1:01 p.m. ET5 minutes ago
5 minutes ago

<modsnip>
The Official SXSW festival was canceled but the tourists arrived regardless so Austin is filled with tourists with large crowds and lines at local restaurants. No one is practicing "social distancing" most people have never even heard of coronavirus. Lots of spitting, coughing, sneezing, finger-licking (my friend reported to me) clueless. So gatherings are limited to 250 and under and yet block parties continue every night downtown on 6th Street illegally. No one cares.
Profit over the people. Many simply do not care.
Photos: Hundreds gather for Franklin’s Barbecue despite coronavirus concerns

Last edited by a moderator:
Union officials who represent the 45,000 or so screeners nationwide, and who come into contact with the public more than any other federal agency say they haven't been told much about how to protect themselves.

"Our officers are really concerned about it and we really don't know of a plan," said Joe Shuker, president of the TSA union local in Philadelphia. "All we've been told is 'Wash your hands. Don't touch your face.' "

The TSA is already in the middle of a hiring and overtime freeze because of a funding gap. Shuker says screeners are facing a shortage of protective gloves, hand sanitizers and even cleaning supplies.

"It's discouraging to know that an agency that is developed to protect the American people isn't funded to protect them, right?" he said.

On top of that, the TSA recently stopped reimbursing more than 100 airports for security checkpoint cleaning. TSA requested that $21 million earmarked for that be cut from its budget, which Congress approved last year.

Shuker says his airport in Philadelphia is one that saw its cleaning reimbursements cut, but there wasn't much communication about that except, "We didn't have the money to pay cleaners to come up and clean."

According to an industry executive speaking on background, some of the nation's largest airports' cleaning reimbursements were reduced due to the budget cut. Whether that means checkpoints aren't getting cleaned is unclear. Miami International Airport spokesman Greg Chin said in a statement that there's been no interruption in cleaning there, but TSA is no longer providing funding to cover its costs.

TSA declined an interview request, and did not respond to written questions.

TSA Screeners' Union Wants More Guidance On Avoiding Coronavirus

The Official SXSW festival was canceled but the tourists arrived regardless so Austin is filled with tourists with large crowds and lines at local restaurants. No one is practicing "social distancing" most people have never even heard of coronavirus. Lots of spitting, coughing, sneezing, finger-licking (my friend reported to me) clueless. So gatherings are limited to 250 and under and yet block parties continue every night downtown on 6th Street illegally. No one cares.
Profit over the people. Many simply do not care.
Oh my goodness #12 on this thread !.......moo

This is the hugest step ever for low wage workers, who went to work sick. Finally, people "get it". If one of us gets sick, we all can get sick.

Yeah, the bad part is, it doesn't cover health care and the unemployment compensation part for sick leave only lasts two weeks. These programs are swiss cheese, have been for a long time. A lot of people are going to lose health coverage in the next couple of weeks.

I'm recommending pitchforks, torches and tumbrels. :):p

So far nothing in my City. It is getting closer. Cancelled social plans with friends despite them being with small numbers. I have Family in the U.S. and I worry for them. I worry for all of you. I wish plans were implemented in advance. Sadly it seems the horse has left the barn. Please know us in the North are thinking about all of you.
ETA-prayers to everyone no matter where you live

Last edited:
I am not sure Ray_of_hope if they could give me any info other than at lest one case has been reported (HIPPA stuff). It will not hurt to call and I will. The more I think about it, I am furious that hundreds of people could have been at potential risk. They knew the trial was going to be delayed and yet crammed us into a courtroom. I am tempted to call the local news stations and tell about their lack of responsibility. The local government was irresponsible. Sorry to be ranting so much.
I'm sorry that I wasn't up to reply @Kensie . I feel bad that you're worried. I'm going to go digging but I believe that the health departments have an obligation to contact people with possible exposure for prevention, tracking and monitoring. I believe that their role in preventing spread of communicable disease makes them responsible for informing potential exposures.
DH (physician) confirmed that it's part of their 'contact tracing'. As you have stated, you won't be given any identifying information per HIPPA and medical ethics, however you have a right to know if you've been exposed and they have a duty to inform. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member