Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop & Shop Decreases Hours, Suspends Pick-Up Service

BOSTON (CBS) — Grocery store chain Stop & Shop announced Saturday that they are decreasing their hours and suspending their pick-up service to make sure they have enough time to stock and meet demands for products. The stores have seen an influx of demand in response to people stocking up on basics due to the spread of the coronavirus.

“In order to allow more time for our associates to unload deliveries, stock shelves, and better serve you throughout the day, we are adjusting our hours to 7:30a.m.-8:00p.m. at most stores beginning Monday, March 16, until further notice,” the chain said in a news release.

Would broth (bouillon) be just as good?
IMO no. Gatorade and Pedialyte and other similar drinks contain electrolytes which help replenish certain minerals that can be lost when suffering from diarrhea or high fever - both can cause dehydration which depletes the minerals such as sodium, calcium, potassium, etc.

Broth on the other hand also help the body to re-hydrate so it's not bad to drink some while suffering from a cold or the flu. Both are good IMO but it comes down to which the body needs most. And yes, some broths are too high in sodium. I buy no salt or low salt versions and add as I want.

I also sometimes add some schmaltz (chicken fat) or duck fat to my broth. I don't know it it makes any difference but it sure tastes good! Nothing like a bowl of matzoh ball soup to make a cold feel better!

Ibuprofen is definitely an anti inflammatory drug.
An NSAID
NON
STEROIDAL
ANTI
INFLAMMATORY
DRUG.

In that respect it is often a better choice for pain.
However, with a virus NSAIDS are often discouraged.
I have no opinion about COVID19 and ibuprofen.
I have no experience with the virus.
I would only use tylenol/acetaminophen myself.
Moo

Oh great! I’m totally stocked on ibuprofen and children’s ibuprofen! Now I’ve gotta go back to the store?!

What are your professional thoughts about cough medicine? My belief has been if you’re coughing up gunk it’s best to keep coughing and take an expectorant only. I found that for me but only expectorant/ cough suppressant for my 4 year old.... if we get it what’s best to take or not take regarding cough?

What are small businesses doing? My husbands company travels to put in the tube systems in hospitals that carry things. He thinks it’s business as usual. For the life’s of me I can’t convince him that he shouldn’t travel. Without him working, we will sink.

I'm thinking of picking up a cornmeal crust pizza and a beet salad to support a local business as my last hurrah out.
I am fortunate to now be home from work duties and there are people out there that still have to keep at it.
Order extra and freeze for later.

She busted her butt to be able to go out of state to a good university. Straight A’s and thriving. Now she’s sitting in her high school bedroom.

My daughter's school has gone online, the bad news, she had two classes with labs. Students who have classes with mandatory labs, are being given an "Incomplete", and will have to register for the class again.

Two months, meaningless. She is still frustrated.

Kali, I have been thinking a lot about you over the last few days. I am so sorry. You don't live near me, but you represent all of the small business owners that I so often frequent in my city. I did go to Costco but a good part of my stock pile came from a small family owned grocery in my neighborhood. I probably spent more money but it was worth every penny to show them how much I cared about them being able to get through this. A while back I posted that I was in tears as I drove through my city wondering what businesses would not make it. I am sure Costco, Kroger and the giants will be there. But I live in a diverse community with many local restaurants and businesses. They are what drew me to this area when we moved here 9 mos ago.
Not far from me someone opened a bulk food and smoothie shop just over 2 mos ago. The proudly advertised on face book and other social media around town. Had a fun grand opening with free ice cream and other offers. Yesterday they posted on face book all of the measures taken to make sure the food and shop were safe. I cannot believe the bad timing of it all, being a bulk food place and all. I can only imagine what they are going through but I could sense in the post that they were struggling.

OK I have rambled on enough. Sorry. Kali, my thoughts are with you. I hope people still come to eat at your restaurant. Many of the places here are offering take out. I am not sure if the type food you offer lends itself to that?

If I order take out, I will reheat in the microwave to HOT and it will be safe, I assume.

Peace to you all.

I’ve been thinking about @KALI a lot too. I’m a small business owner as well although it’s not at all the same thing but I understand the vulnerability of small business owners and my heart is breaking for everyone suffering with this.

This is a disaster. I don’t even know what everything will look like at the end of this.

:eek::eek::eek: Letting the prisoners go??? THIS FREAKS ME OUT.

The articles specifies that is one of multiple possibilities, along with: sending them straight to prison; putting them on house arrest; speeding up the process of having inmates plead guilty to get them out. They are NOT releasing prisoners willy-nilly. Sensationalist title. Don't let it scare you.

Oh my. You are really going through an ordeal Book-thinker! You may have already mentioned this, but have you spoken to a doctor? 9 days is too long to have a fever IMO. You may have a secondary bacterial infection. If that's the case, perhaps some antibiotics will help. ?? Please take care and keep us updated!

I have a relative with it. He’s been in quarantine at home. He has “mild” symptoms- fever and cough for 10 days. No improvement but not worse. I think mild cases is a misnomer in a way- sounds like we should expect two weeks minimum if we catch it. But this is just my opinion based on this limited information

Good job.

My hunch is this is the last weekend to get much of anything, the supply chains will start breaking down this coming week.

Went shopping to various stores on Tuesday where I saw wipes were gone unless you looked in other depts., toilet paper was getting low, as was bleach.

Had to go back out yesterday for a few items and was flabbergasted at the emptiness of so many shelves! Was in a grocery store and WalMart, same report. No toilet paper, bleach, alcohol for medicinal use, hydrogen peroxide, all Tylenol and Advil products, cold, cough, flu, adult and children products gone! Many food items wiped clean.

At one point, I stopped, looked around, thought, this is getting to be an ugly sight, even a bit scary.

Glad I had gotten my necessary items on first trip. Reason for second trip was I decided I needed more grocery items if a mandatory shutdown was imposed.

lol....I stopped at a local Dollar Tree (I'm trying to go to smaller shops with less people) and they had Hungry Jack instant mashed potatoes and (I hope my scale will forgive me) Cheddar and Bacon au gratin potatoes. I couldn't resist.

Yummy. Yes, I'm afraid...we are all going to gain weight. Having too much time on my hands in self-quarantine means I might as well cook and I might as well eat. Oh well, got to remember, staying alive is the goal.

BTW, cleaning chit chat... Dollar Tree had small bottles of a Winter Green alcohol, only 50% strength, but then I put it in a spray bottle with drops of Dawn soap and a little water. Works nice on my counters and the bottom of my shoes if I walk outside. You probably know, they also have the Comet bleach kitchen spray. I'd still go to my Dollar Tree, but had to start avoiding the 99 cent store now due to crowds. It sells fresh vegies and is always packed with suspected germ :mad: people that don't respect my social distance.

Our local tech college has decided not to close despite all the local school districts closing. I don’t know what people with kids who will now be home are supposed to do. Things are already so tense at work that people are getting squirrely.

Here in Michigan the schools are closed as well. Even the tech programs.

OT.....your avatar. Is that Katamari???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member