Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
China, Russia and Iran are flooding the global information space with false claims about coronavirus, according to U.S. officials, who say one of the biggest lies — that the virus is a U.S. bioweapon and was brought to China by U.S. Army personnel — is just the latest in a “surge of propaganda” aimed at undermining America’s image on the world stage.

Coronavirus lies pushed by China to blame virus on U.S. bioweapon

Not sure how anyone could believe that. Unless the US isn't very good at bioweapons.

I also wonder about hair stylists. Most of the ones that I know are basically self employed. They rent a station and depend of their customers for their income. This is another group of workers that will be affected. Also, Spa employees will be greatly impacted. I feel like I am in a dream and cannot wake up but it is reality.

By the way stores have these dirty nasty carts, and when I went in, they didn't have the wipes they used to have to wipe those carts (I guess everybody run out of those). So how exactly is going to a store (which one would have to do a lot) is any safer than going to get some food in a restaurant? If they were concerned bars were getting packed, why not just close the bars? I think close all restaurants is going way overboard and is not going to be helpful.
Carts are horrible! I think you should do what is best for you. Moo if you have restaurant open in your area, go for it. Moo

By the way stores have these dirty nasty carts, and when I went in, they didn't have the wipes they used to have to wipe those carts (I guess everybody run out of those). So how exactly is going to a store (which one would have to do a lot) is any safer than going to get some food in a restaurant? If they were concerned bars were getting packed, why not just close the bars? I think close all restaurants is going way overboard and is not going to be helpful.

If it’s a choice I’d go to a bar, sitting at a table in a restaurant you are touching everything the last person/Ppl touched. Table/salt pepper shakers/condiments/menu, etc. jmo

I feel at this point (to me) it’s more touch, (Transfer).

Coronavirus pandemic forces world to take drastic measures: Live updates - CNN

What you need to know
  • US cases grow: There are now more than 3,000 cases of the novel coronavirus in the US, according to government agencies and the CDC.
  • Emergency measures globally: US has declared a national emergency. France is closing restaurants, cafes, cinemas, clubs and ski resorts. People in Spain are restricted from leaving their homes.
  • Talk to us: Do you have a question about the coronavirus or a story about the outbreak? Share them here.
  • Stay updated: Our coronavirus newsletter. The Coronavirus: Fact vs Fiction podcast. Alerts on the pandemic in the CNN app. All the latest information and updated numbers here.

Slightly O/T, but I just came back from a quick run to my local market and ended up using two plastic produce bags as “gloves” to hold my cart handle. I rocked the style with pride :)

If it’s a choice I’d go to a bar, sitting at a table in a restaurant you are touching everything the last person/Ppl touched. Table/salt pepper shakers/condiments/menu, etc. jmo

I feel at this point (to me) it’s more touch, (Transfer).
But the same goes on in a store. You are touching the cart somebody else just touched. Food doesn't magically appear on the shelves, somebody puts it there.

3 min ago
Vice President Pence says new guidelines on curfews and social distancing to come Monday

From Jason Hoffman and Nicky Robertson

Vice President Pence said there will be new guidelines released Monday morning regarding potential curfews or closures of such locations as restaurants.

Pence said those guidelines are being vetted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for now, the federal government is deferring to decisions made by state and local governments.

"What my health care team, some of the best people in the world, tell me very regularly is that it's very important that you follow the data, you make decisions based on the circumstances that are taking place in that community," Pence said.

Slightly O/T, but I just came back from a quick run to my local market and ended up using two plastic produce bags as “gloves” to hold my cart handle. I rocked the style with pride :)
I am wearing regular gloves when I go to the store. I would wear a mask too if I had any. But you can't buy them anywhere.

3 min ago
Czech Republic shuts down public services to prevent spread of coronavirus
From CNN’s Jaide Timm-Garcia

All shops and public food services are closed in the Czech Republic until March 24 to "prevent the spread of the coronavirus contagion," according to a news release from the Czech Republic's Ministry of Health.

"In the present situation, we see the gathering of people in shopping centres and in restaurants as too great a risk," Prime Minister Andrej Babiš said. "By no means do we want to restrict the sale of food, pharmaceuticals, druggist goods, and fuel and other essentials. People do not need to worry: food supplies remain unrestricted and it really is not necessary for people to empty store-shelves of goods."
Exceptions include dining services that do not serve the general public and fast food establishments, the release said. Exceptions include stores selling food, hygienic or medical products, fuel or tobacco products, electronic or telecommunication equipment, animal food or cleaning services, or newspaper and magazines.

"Only fundamental restrictions like this can help stop the spread of the infection in our country," said Adam Vojtěch, Minister of Health. "Even though it is not pleasant for any of us, this is about protecting our health."

“16 min ago
CDC recommends canceling or postponing events involving more than 50 people for eight weeks

From CNN's Ben Tinker

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published interim guidance Sunday recommending "that for the next 8 weeks, organizers (whether groups or individuals) cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States."

"Events of any size should only be continued if they can be carried out with adherence to guidelines for protecting vulnerable populations, hand hygiene, and social distancing. When feasible, organizers could modify events to be virtual," the CDC's guidance said.
The CDC's recommendation does not apply to "day to day operations of organizations such as schools, institutes of higher learning or businesses."

"This recommendation is made in an attempt to reduce introduction of the virus into new communities and to slow the spread of infection in communities already affected by the virus. This recommendation is not intended to supersede the advice of local public health officials," the CDC said.”

Moment Tennessee brothers donate hand sanitizer after they are accused of price gouging while trying to sell 17,700 bottles online and now the state's attorney general warns they are not 'off the hook'

Moment brothers donate hand sanitizer after they are accused of price gouging bottles sold onilne | Daily Mail Online

I’m so glad law enforcement forced their storage locker open and got the supplies. Hopefully they will prosecuted. The community they live in will not let them forget what they did in a hurry.

Government official: Coronavirus vaccine trial starts Monday
A clinical trial evaluating a vaccine designed to protect against the new coronavirus will begin Monday, according to a government official.

The first participant in the trial will receive the experimental vaccine on Monday, the official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the trial has not been publicly announced yet. The National Institutes of Health is funding the trial, which is taking place at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle, the official said.

Public health officials say it will take a year to 18 months to fully validate any potential vaccine.

[...]

I am wearing regular gloves when I go to the store. I would wear a mask too if I had any. But you can't buy them anywhere.

You can wrap your hair and face in a scarf. That won't stop you from inhaling germs, but it can stop you from touching your nose and mouth. The regular masks don't stop the virus anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member