Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not much of a sports fan other than hockey, but I'm going to miss the World Figure Skating Championships that were scheduled for March 16-22 in Montreal. My sister would have come to stay for a couple of days so she could watch the skating on a big screen and not her computer monitor. Sis is a major sports fan and is bummed about March Madness, too.
My sadness is over MLB. DH and I are big time Phillies fan, and with spring starting this Thursday and no opening day in sight is (trivially, I know) depressing.

The reality for me is this.

My kids work in high contact jobs in the public.
My husband is high risk.
Covid19 is contagious without symptoms.
Covid19 lives in air and on surfaces for hours.

The ONLY way I could keep my DH from getting it if one of my kids brought it home would be for him to live in a mask 100% of the time AT HOME as well as practicing all other safeguards with hand washing, etc.

I just don’t see that happening. So that is why I beg others to be cautious so that my kids don’t get it on their jobs.

Don’t you all see this as reality unless you live alone or with some else who can totally isolate? In small case numbers the risk is low, but as the caseload grows not so much. And that’s an example of why it takes us all working together.

I don’t hear many fussing about the folks working at the big box, grocery and drug stores.

No symptoms and mildly ill are not going to the hospital or doctors. Bills need to be aid, mouths to be fed. Many would flip out if these stores closed. The medical folks are still using high protocol protection that they have been using for years.

I worry about the folks in the big box, grocery and drug stores. I worry about the families barely making ends meet. I worry about the kids that depend on school lunches for their one good meal of the day. I have experienced that life over half my life, I know how fragile survival can be living that life. However imperfect the solutions may be to help the families and kids there are more solutions available to help those individuals than there are to keep an overwhelmed heath care system propped up.

I just watched the BBC video by Lin Wenhua about the Wuhan quarantine

MUST SEE MUST SEE

BBC News Channel - Our World, Wuhan: Life under Lockdown

It shows how drastic the quarantine was, how modern and efficient Wuhan is as a city and how massively it was shut down. He is delivering donated medicines to people who have relatives in the hospital

It also follows a medical couple: an MD and his ER RN wife and how they are coping with her work, her getting the disease, her quarantine, and trying to get her into the hospital

Everyone in the hospital is in full body containment. The makeshift hospitals in stadiums are Huge.
MUST SEE

I seriously doubt we in the US are capable of doing anything like Wuhan did.

This is not imo a good job on top of the 6 plus week delay in telling the world. I for one do not and never will trust china. Infact china should be paying everyones health bill. Jmo

5 million people left Wuhan before China quarantined the city to contain the coronavirus outbreak

5 million people left Wuhan before China quarantined the city to contain the coronavirus outbreak

Wow, from your link:
"On Wednesday, Japanese authorities reported the first confirmed case of reinfection. A tour guide in Osaka first tested positive for the coronavirus in late January, then was discharged from the hospital three weeks ago after showing signs of recovery. But she returned to the hospital after developing a sore throat and chest pain and tested positive for the coronavirus once again."

I don't know if their protocol requires 2 consecutive negative tests with a gap of 24 hours between testing to be declared a cure. But wow!China is reporting same.
I think the protocol now being used is 3 consecutive negative tests with a gap of 24 hours between each.

First batch of quarantined individuals discharged after testing negative for Covid-19

Effects of coronavirus fear hit Las Vegas economy hard

I am really waiting for banks to give people a break on mortgages. This is a catastrophe for folks who rely on tips for a majority of their income.

I heard a snippet on BC Global this morning where the reporter said something to the effect of Canada considering "waiving mortgage payment and rent". (Have also heard scuttlebutt wrt bill payments, but no links so not sure if that is being considered). Hopefully these financial measures will be implemented during such a crisis. I'm retired and okay with mortgage payments but have family members who rent and are terrified of losing their jobs and therefore their accommodation. Even though mortgage payments aren't too much of a hardship for me, it would free up my monthly income to help my family and others who are not so fortunate.

I am in the high risk category but I worry less about myself and more for my family members and friends that are hospital nurses and first responders. The less precautions the public takes at containing this virus puts people I love at risk. To me the people not practicing social distancing are not seeing the bigger picture. By not practicing social distancing they are increasing the risks to the very people they will depend on when they need medical care or a first responder . Their foolish actions will be signing someone else's death notice and they are rolling the dice on whether that will be a stranger or someone they know and love. IMO, not practicing social distancing is the same as a person with HIV having unprotected sex with as many persons as they can to purposely infect them.
@escape2sc I agree and think this is an excellent post. You cut right to the heart of things.

Yep!! Have put together a makeshift one in the garage.
We have a spot for packages, shoes and outer coats. ( still chilly in MI). We never wore shoes in our house anyways but now instead of going in the closet, they stay out in the garage. Hand sanitizer station and lysol for the boxes before coming in.

It is really interesting to go back to the first thread, and read "our" collective comments. It seems to me, that most of us, were far more in tune to this situation, 6 weeks ago, than the rest of the people.

I copied something I wrote on February 1. It seemed sort of "crazy" six weeks ago...

"Not to be alarmist, but every single fictionalized pandemic starts with people being contained on military bases, and eventual martial law enforcement."

I really wonder what is going to happen in the next six weeks. I can easily see some major problems in larger cities if goods become scarcer, and more people get sick.
We've had a form of martial law when leaders
need to keep people off the roads during and after Hurricanes.
I think it may come to this in some areas.
Some people just can't understand what will soon be happening. Our movement will be
restricted out of necessity.
DeBlasio/NY mayor already wants to lock down. But he won't close the schools (hah).

I don’t hear many fussing about the folks working at the big box, grocery and drug stores.

No symptoms and mildly ill are not going to the hospital or doctors. Bills need to be paid, mouths to be fed. Many would flip out if these stores closed. The medical folks are still using high protocol protection that they have been using for years.

I'm worried about them, hundreds of contacts per day.
Family and friends were discussing how worrisome it could get for the retail front line.
And cashier is a good job in my area, so not a job to be quickly discarded.

I called my parents today who are in Newfoundland, where the first presumptive case was announced yesterday. They're in the 65+ age bracket and only get out to do their shopping once a month. Yesterday was their shopping day and they had a lot of trouble finding some eggs, milk, and bread in their town and had no luck getting any toilet paper and sanitizer. Luckily there are other family members around who can pitch in and help make sure that they are okay but I've never felt so far away from them as I feel today. :( I wish people were more considerate. After I got off the phone, I think the magnitude of this fully hit me and I cried. A lot. I'm okay now...I'm sure mom and dad will be okay. I really hope they will be. But I'm so scared for all the people out there who have no one to help them.

Last edited:
The nurses and doctors here at the hospital (I’m with a loved one -cardiac/neurological issues) - no one had on masks. Only one had on gloves. PT did not wash hands upon entering until I said something.
And there is a white isolation it’s tent at each entrance here.

that’s on the hospital... and insane. We brought groceries and socialized with our at risk neighbors from far more than 6 ft away. Common sense is no longer common.

My sadness is over MLB. DH and I are big time Phillies fan, and with spring starting this Thursday and no opening day in sight is (trivially, I know) depressing.

Think about the trickle-down impact on businesses that will lose money due to all the sports events being cancelled. Sports bars/restaurants, pizza/carryout/catering venues for televised sports, and, of course, major loss of revenue if MLB season is delayed for several weeks or longer. Not to mention seasonal workers who make their living at the ballparks: ushers, vendors, ticket sales, food concessions, entertainment/cheering squads, security, etc.

ETA: Official Detroit Tigers Website

Last edited:

No symptoms and mildly ill are not going to the hospital or doctors. Bills need to be paid, mouths to be fed. Many would flip out if these stores closed. The medical folks are still using high protocol protection that they have been using for years.

As I was shopping in my local Kroger this morning, I made a point to say "Thank you for being here" to every employee and vendor I came across.
Some were confused and dumbfounded, but my sentiments were heartfelt and sincere. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot