Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our drivers are going in tomorrow to clean their specific bus. Not to sanitize, but to clean the trash and things left behind. My neighbor drives & told me the must report at 8a.m.

Also, on the issue if someone can be reinfected, I can find articles on both sides. Someone asked on the other thread
So including one link here.
People can get the coronavirus more than once, experts warn — recovering does not necessarily make you immune
I sure hope so. As a driver, I have not seen it done, yet. I will keep you guys posted as to what I do see.

Wow, Chinese government won't cover medical costs of Chinese citizens returning to China "to dissuade overseas Chinese from repatriating." There are a lot of family members who visited their children in the U.S. before the outbreak in Wuhan was known, and if they want to go home now, their medical insurance in China won't be covered. The good thing is that the costs are lower in China, so hopefully their U.S. family members can help them cover the costs for now if they decide to repatriate. These are often parents of kids going to high school in the U.S. or parents of Chinese-Americans who are now living and working in the U.S. and this latter group would be in the age bracket that is highest risk.
On a similar note the Cypriot government are paying their overseas students to stay away over Easter:

Students who choose stay in their country of study will receive a €750 allowance

Coronavirus: Cabinet adopts new entry rules, private companies to suspend operation, €700m support package – In-Cyprus.com

What happens when all the snowbirds return to Canada?
Which is exactly what is going to happen by April 30th. The snowbirds will leave and all the domestic travel will increase. People cannot afford to extend their lease or rental to stay put, and/or their landlord will force them out. The airports have seasonal flights for Canada and those will stop in late April.

My opinion and experience from living in FL most of my life.

Why aren’t we warned every flu season about disinfecting our mail? Flu virus lives quite a while on surfaces too, right? I doubt enough cells would survive the friction in the mail to be a problem, but that’s just MOO.

You may be correct about the mail not being a viable route of infection but I believe there are numerous ways for the high risk population to be at greater risk by the low risk population not practicing social distancing.

I have a friend who recently moved there from NJ. For the past week on FB, she has been making jokes about the virus. I just saw the first serious post from her as she reported this. Another person woken up from dreamland. JMO
Imo, people are sugar coating & seeing what they want, not what it is in respect to people coming together helping, etc., sure some of us are trying to do the right thing, but imo very few are, and the community transmission is in fact proof. Or driving thru any given town, checking bar parking lots, might give a truer perspective. Here it is “if you’re sick or old, so what, stay home....no one can make me, blah blah.”
Now we are at 3,100+ in the US. Up substantially from earlier today.
Dr. Brilliant is answering questions on CNN now.

These high risk folks can wash their hands and use gloves and a mask if that is truly the case. Personal responsibility and all that.

I actually think this group is following the instructions closely... possibly more than others.

But that doesn't mean that all others can't do their part.

They are saying to protect the elderly, especially those with underlying conditions as if they were apart of your own beloved family.

I don't see anything wrong wrong with that.

EVERYONE has personal responsibility in this, imo.

Jmho

Our drivers are going in tomorrow to clean their specific bus. Not to sanitize, but to clean the trash and things left behind. My neighbor drives & told me the must report at 8a.m.

Also, on the issue if someone can be reinfected, I can find articles on both sides. Someone asked on the other thread
So including one link here.
People can get the coronavirus more than once, experts warn — recovering does not necessarily make you immune

According to Dr. Anthony Fauci, one of the leading experts on infectious disease in the U.S., and director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, once a person has contracted the new coronavirus, they cannot become infected again.
What you should know about coronavirus or COVID-19 in Colorado - UCHealth Today

Which is exactly what is going to happen by April 30th. The snowbirds will leave and all the domestic travel will increase. People cannot afford to extend their lease or rental to stay put, and/or their landlord will force them out. The airports have seasonal flights for Canada and those will stop in late April.

My opinion and experience from living in FL most of my life.
So why aren’t they leaving to go home now before it gets worse? If they get sick in the US what about medical coverage?
Do they not have a full time home? Or do they rent apartments for 6 month in the US and 6 months in Canada?
I don’t know any snowbirds so I don’t have anyone to ask!

I am not promoting that the virus is less in warmer environments or climates, nor do I think it is seasonal. Think the summer cold. See the link below if you want to read about the research of various illnesses and timing.

My point is Florida is hot. It feels hotter to tourists who are not used to the warmth regularly. Those tourists will jump in the salty ocean water, even when us residents think its too cold. Then, they’ll rinse off at the outdoor showers before they get in their rental car. Then, they’ll shower off at their hotel. If they’re leaving germs behind, of any kind, the germ is going to burn up in the sun. The tiki bars are outside and the flow of alcohol won’t stop either. JMO.

The tourists will not stop coming and we know it. Florida was a huge tourist destination long before the advent of theme parks.

Why do dozens of diseases wax and wane with the seasons—and will COVID-19?

All those folks on the cruise ships enjoyed the heat and fresh air.

How the deadly coronavirus brought an industry to its knees: The 'cruise lines 9/11'

I actually think this group is following the instructions clisely possibly more than others.

They are saying to protect the elderly, especially those with underlying conditions as if they were apart of your family.

I dont see anything wrong wrong with that.

Jmho

Every single at risk person in our neighborhood has groceries, tp, soap and support. In fact, every person in our neighborhood has groceries, tp, soap and support. It cost taxpayers nothing.

Bbm yes :) and moo
I actually think this group is following the instructions closely... possibly more than others.

They are saying to protect the elderly, especially those with underlying conditions as if they were apart of your own beloved family.
I don't see anything wrong wrong with that.
Jmho

I am in the high risk category but I worry less about myself and more for my family members and friends that are hospital nurses and first responders. The less precautions the public takes at containing this virus puts people I love at risk. To me the people not practicing social distancing are not seeing the bigger picture. By not practicing social distancing they are increasing the risks to the very people they will depend on when they need medical care or a first responder . Their foolish actions will be signing someone else's death notice and they are rolling the dice on whether that will be a stranger or someone they know and love. IMO, not practicing social distancing is the same as a person with HIV having unprotected sex with as many persons as they can to purposely infect them.

so far with much under-reporting in Florida
death rate is running 3.4%.
And 25% of tested are positive.
most new cases are Community spread
younger people are surprisingly a good part
of positives.
Nothing is surprising about young people being a good part of positives. They get the virus like everyone else. Maybe more, if they go out a lot. But lower percentage of all young people who get infected will die. In fact because they might have less symptoms they probably spread it a lot more.

so far with much under-reporting in Florida
death rate is running 3.4%.
And 25% of tested are positive.
most new cases are Community spread
younger people are surprisingly a good part
of positives.
It would be good to see a symptom chart by age. What they experienced when positive. I’ve got a child in FL and she’s had one and only one of the symptoms. Obviously not wanting her tested and she’s fine but would be curious to know what others her age have experienced.

So why aren’t they leaving to go home now before it gets worse? If they get sick in the US what about medical coverage?
Do they not have a full time home? Or do they rent apartments for 6 month in the US and 6 months in Canada?
I don’t know any snowbirds so I don’t have anyone to ask!
My opinion? Money. In Florida, if you want to get around the tourist tax, you buy a place, and let it sit empty when you're not here. It is much cheaper. I’ll give you an example. My aunt & uncle were paying $2,000/month from Jan-Apr for a mobile home every winter. That mobile home rented for much less than $1,000/mon normally.

Owners make a killing off snowbirds. Snowbirds don’t want to lose their rent money. Snowbirds also can no longer shovel snow or drive in ice. So, they suck it up and stay put.

Most snowbirds have 2 sets of doctors. The locals know to schedule their annual physicals between May-Aug, our doctors tell us that. Then, if we get sick in the winter, we just call in.

I am wondering if they will have to go into self-isolation for 14 days when they return to Canada from the U.S.? Does anyone know?
They don't only return from Florida and to Canada. Many from NJ, PA, MN, WI, NY, NH, etc winter in the sunbelt. I have friends who have 2 homes - Florida and New Hampshire. I have a family member with a winter home in AZ and summer in CO. Lots pull campers and drive rv's from place to place.

Overwhelming implications as mostly these are seniors/retirees.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member