Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for this. Animals need people like you.

Almost every cat I ever have owned has come into my life after either being dropped off, or wandering into, or being born in my yard. The two I have now included. I simply cannot look the other way. And those I don't end up keeping, I find homes for.

ETA I did have up to 5 at one point, all living inside. Guess I'm a true "cat lady."
DBM

Coronavirus news and live updates: First participant in vaccine trial given dose - CNN
Updated 4:47 p.m. ET, March 16, 2020

“What you need to know now
  • The White House has advised people not to gather in groups of more than 10.
  • France has banned all family and social gatherings and closed its borders.
  • Ohio's governor wants to move the state's primary election to June.
  • Canada will deny entry to anyone who isn't a citizen or permanent resident.”

Don't watch if injections make you queasy...

CBS News on Twitter (video)
Scientists in Seattle are leading the worldwide hunt for a coronavirus vaccine. U.S. researchers at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Research Institute have administered the first shot in a clinical trial for a potential COVID-19 vaccine https://cbsn.ws/39TTJP6
4:19 PM - 16 Mar 2020

““In states with evidence of community transmission, bars, restaurants, food courts, gyms and other indoor or outdoor venues -- where groups of people congregate -- should be closed."”

-Dr. Fauci

Attention restaurateurs in South Florida, Dr. Anthony Fauci wants you to close
-
--
here's hoping this gives our Gov. the support to
close these bars and restaurants and disperse the Spring Breakers still congregating on the beaches. Fl. definitely has community spread.

“12 min ago
Nearly 7 million San Francisco Bay area residents ordered to shelter in place

From CNN's Cheri Mossburg

Nearly seven million people living in a wide swath of Northern California, including Silicon Valley, are being ordered to shelter in place starting at midnight on Monday.

Along with San Francisco, which previously announced its order, residents in San Mateo, Santa Clara, Marin, Alameda, and Contra Costa counties, along with the city of Berkeley are being required to stay home, according to an order from health officials in those jurisdictions.

“This decision is exponentially difficult,” Santa Clara County Health Officer Sara Cody said, but added that a regional approach is necessary. “We know we need to do this.”

Health services, grocery stores, gas stations, banks, and food delivery services will remain open. Mass transit will stay open, but it is only to be used for travel to and from essential services.”

Coronavirus news and live updates: First participant in vaccine trial given dose - CNN

Jack Ma, richest man in Asia (and Chinese) donated 1 million masks and test kits to the US. Unloading in Seattle.

Don't you think our feds should thank him?

It is 1 million masks and 500,000 test kits, which is extraordinary.
The Jack Ma Foundation and the Alibaba Foundation on Friday announced that they have prepared 500,000 testing kits and 1 million masks to be sent to the U.S., adding to those already donated to other impacted countries including Japan, South Korea, Italy, Iran and Spain.

Alibaba's Jack Ma Sends Boxes of Coronavirus Test Kits and Masks to U.S.

THANK YOU JACK MA!

My man friend(too old to be a boyfriend) just came from the grocery store- he was at 2 he said "there is no meat, what is going on? Are human lions or what?" I had no answer for that I am not much of a meat eater.
It would be interesting to hear about any regional differences....the one constant is that there is no toilet paper, anywhere. In my area, frozen veggies & fruits and chicken, wiped out. Tons of red meat and sausage around. Very little soy meat and other veggie/vegan products available. Crunchy granola folk and all, LOL.

Trump is saying he doesn’t expect this to subside before July/August!!! :eek::(
Someone please help me here- I can’t watch or read his statements right now. What did he mean? That the lockdowns will be in place until perhaps July or August, or that we may well still have “some” restrictions until then.

I will not be able to function right now if I think he’s been told lockdown until July or August.

I apologize- this may have already been posted (I was doing video yoga via ZOOM :))

I’m officially on government lockdown/shelter in place, starting at midnight tonight. Silicon Valley.
Bay Area to 'shelter in place:' What you need to know about how life will change with new coronavirus order

I now know of two individuals here that are on shut down and isolation for two weeks. Is there a thread yet created for WS members who are in isolation to be with them and support them in a dedicated thread yet?

“11 min ago
Trump asks Americans not to hoard goods

From CNN's Jason Hoffman

In a series of tweets, President Trump discussed supply at grocery stores and asked Americans not to hoard goods.

“We are confident that supply will continue to meet demand nationwide,” and that grocery stores will remain open “no matter what," Trump tweeted.

He then urged Americans to band together.”

My first thought re: the Live White House Conference is that they themselves are not practicing the example of social distancing.

WHO has already been doing their convergences remotely.

Pulling forward msm on WH conference.
They aren't there socially, they are working just as the news media also in attendance are working. Medical professionals are also present. If they decide it is too dangerous, I think they will act accordingly.

JMO

This is so hopeful. I believe there will be success in stopping this virus from taking our lives. There are so many brilliant minds working on a solution. Hang in there every body!

AP Exclusive: Coronavirus vaccine test opens with 1st doses

"Most of the vaccine research under way globally targets a protein aptly named “spike” that studs the surface of the new coronavirus and lets it invade human cells. Block that protein and people cannot get infected."

"Researchers at the NIH copied the section of the virus’ genetic code that contains the instructions for cells to create the spike protein. Moderna encased that “messenger RNA” into a vaccine."

"The idea: The body will become a mini-factory, producing some harmless spike protein. When the immune system spots the foreign protein, it will make antibodies to attack — and be primed to react quickly if the person later encounters the real virus."

I'm about 25 pages behind but didn't want quotes to be lost when the new thread comes along...

To be an astronaut about now.......

Can you imagine how bizarre it must feel to be up on the space station knowing this is going on all over thr earth?

So what are y’all planning to do with your time now?
Besides cleaning?

Reading, knitting, garden preparation, cooking (more/different stuff than usual, as long as the grocery store stays stocked...)

Quoting myself. I find this utterly fascinating. The only state with no confirmed Covid 19 is the state with the worst opioid epidemic. Jmo

Wouldn't it be so ironic if somehow opioid use conferred some kind of protection? Like something I read in the news recently about a woman who inadvertently took 550 times the usual dose of ... ecstacy? acid? and some chronic pain issue she had went away? I'm not by any stretch advocating that, but it does tell us there's s#*t we still don't know!

“9 min ago
Switzerland bans all events and closes shops

From CNN's Mia Alberti and Lauren Kent

Switzerland’s government banned all private and public events from midnight local time on Monday for more than a month, according to a statement from the Swiss Federal Council.

"Until April 19th, every shop, restaurant, bar and all recreational areas should remain closed. There will be an exception for supermarkets and health services,” the statement said. “From midnight today we'll also impose border controls with Germany, Austria and France."
The Swiss government also deployed 8,000 military personnel to assist with coronavirus measures.

Swiss President Simonetta Sommaruga said in an Instagram post: “Right now we need the support of everyone, young and elderly. We have to make sure our hospitals can keep treating the seriously injured and sick. Respect rigorously the measures and recommendations of the federal Council. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.””

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
londontolaw