Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Emergency room director explains the 2 biggest challenges with coronavirus
[...]

Health care professionals are grappling with two major challenges that could be unnecessarily increasing their patient load, according to Dr. Glenn Raup, the executive director of Emergency Behavioral and Observation Services at St. Joseph Hospital in Orange, California. The first challenge is that misinformation is resulting in people thinking they are at higher risk than they actually are. The second challenge is that this belief means they are coming into emergency rooms unnecessarily.

“Many individuals believe the information that they’re hearing, that they’re at significant risk,” Raup told Yahoo Finance. ...

[...]

The other issue health care workers are encountering is people who come into the emergency room with symptoms before calling their doctors first. Many suggest not seeking medical attention unless you have a high fever or trouble breathing, so as not to take up attention away from patients in need of more help.

[...]

I was hoping that I could hunker down and not go out until this thing was over, but July or August? There is no way that I can go that long without some resupplying. So I guess there will be a real chance to get infected. Everyone except maybe the hardcore preppers is probably facing the same thing. I was planning to eliminate any chance of exposure but I guess that is not going to be possible.

No. This is for 15 days in hopes it will flatten the curve of cases and we won’t become Italy. Dr Fauci clarified that late in the news conference.

AP Exclusive: Coronavirus vaccine test opens with 1st doses

“SEATTLE (AP) — U.S. researchers gave the first shots in a first test of an experimental coronavirus vaccine Monday, leading off a worldwide hunt for protection even as the pandemic surges.”

[...]

“Monday’s milestone marked just the beginning of a series of studies in people needed to prove whether the shots are safe and could work. Even if the research goes well, a vaccine would not be available for widespread use for 12 to 18 months, said Dr. Anthony Fauci of the U.S. National Institutes of Health.

Still, finding a vaccine “is an urgent public health priority,” Fauci said in a statement Monday. The new study “is an important first step toward achieving that goal.”

This vaccine candidate, code-named mRNA-1273, was developed by the NIH and Massachusetts-based biotechnology company Moderna Inc. There’s no chance participants could get infected because the shots do not contain the coronavirus itself.”
-more at link

I watched the whole thing live and I didn't get any sense of panic. He spoke slowly and explained things really well and appeared in total control, IMO.
I didn't watch it, I only read the twitter. He's also now calling on his own national guard to address the problem. Demanding the Army Corps of Engineers was odd because that isn't remotely what they do.

JMO

Someone please help me here- I can’t watch or read his statements right now. What did he mean? That the lockdowns will be in place until perhaps July or August, or that we may well still have “some” restrictions until then.

I will not be able to function right now if I think he’s been told lockdown until July or August.

The virus may last until summer. The restrictions are for 15 days to slow the virus down.

Over 12 000 new cases of COVID-19 were reported today in the world. Exponential growth is observed in 14 of the 15 countries with the most cumulative cases (exception: South Korea)
Cases are multiplying by 10 every 14 days, and show no sign of slowing down.

Current daily new cases in the world are 12,000. In 14 days there will be 120,000 a day in the world

ronavirus Beͫvͣaͬnͨd on Twitter

Beͫvͣaͬnͨd on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

Attachments

• IMG_20200316_170216.png
    IMG_20200316_170216.png
    401.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Can you take a walk outside?

I believe so, yes. I'm going to do so, starting tomorrow.

Though you shouldn't go to the gym right now, that doesn't mean you can't exercise. Take long walks or run outside (do your best to maintain at least six feet between you and non-family members when you're outside). Do some yoga or other indoor exercise routines when the weather isn't cooperating.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus-resource-center

Supposedly. That article I linked says we can go outside “for fresh air” but then it later says “Non-essential travel on foot, bicycle, scooter, automobile or public transit is prohibited”

So I’m a little unclear. :confused:

I would interpret that as taking a walk in your neighborhood would be OK, but not walking to a cute boutique to shop.

I’m officially laid off. I don’t have enough hours for EI (in Canada) because I’ve taken so much time off for my sons issues. And man he is 24. I’m so upset at all of this. I work at the school. Normally laid off in May. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member