Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 8 of our self-imposed quarantine (due to underlying health issues) and one of my clients had the State AG show up at his house across the country. I was concerned work would stop since business litigation seems like a real privileged optional thing that you’d lay off of while the world burns but lucky for me they’ve gone criminal so we can keep the lights on.

It feels like we’re in bizarro world.

Hope everyone is staying safe. We’re spraying down packages with lysol because I’ve come this far without it I can’t catch it from a package!

Washington:

Total cases by county:

King: 488 cases (43 deaths)
Snohomish: 200 cases (4 deaths)
Pierce: 38 cases
Clark: 4
Columbia: 1 case
Grant: 3 cases (1 death)
Grays Habor: 1 case
Island: 7 cases
Jefferson: 3 cases
Kitsap: 7 cases
Kittitas: 3 cases
Lewis: 1 case
Lincoln: 1 case
Skagit: 7 cases
Spokane: 3 cases
Thurston: 4 cases
Whatcom: 3 cases
Yakima: 4 cases
Unassigned: 126 cases*

Total Tested: 12,486
Negative: 11,582

*Health agencies are still working to determine the appropriate jurisdiction for cases marked "unassigned."

904 Coronavirus Cases In Washington, 6 More Dead In King County

Day 8 of our self-imposed quarantine (due to underlying health issues) and one of my clients had the State AG show up at his house across the country. I was concerned work would stop since business litigation seems like a real privileged optional thing that you’d lay off of while the world burns but lucky for me they’ve gone criminal so we can keep the lights on.

Hope everyone is staying safe. We’re spraying down packages with lysol because I’ve come this far without it I can’t catch it from a package!

Yay, we have the same “SIQ Day”. :)

I’m going on day 8 too. I think @Lato may be on day 8 too, iirc.

Also my husband just walked in to the living room so proud of himself telling me that he ordered groceries! I say great, thinking he restocked what we talked about- black beans, squash, rice, canned goods.

No...he ordered a variety of fancy Spanish salami from some specialty foods store???? He’s going to be shocked when he gets A SLICE OF SALAMI for dinner because he didn’t pick up the reasonable staples we’ve been eating for a week.

The best part is we GAVE UP MEAT for Lent. So we can’t even eat the salami for another 3 weeks!! I need a private quarantine from this quarantine.

Husbands...they try, very cute.

Last edited:
I both love and detest this.
My opinion.
The borders should be closed.
Both America and Mexico's
With all sad observation.
That's really all I can say about this, except. In my 30 years plus observation. The people of Mexico, have not learned sanitation and the benefits of sanitation. Not their fault.
But it's true. IMO.
At least here.

Canadians were a bit up in arms today that one border remained opened to non-citizen/landed-immigrant Canadians. Supply chain is important though, even in a pandemic. A couple of days ago Mexico was looking to close their borders. It's just like the EU. Italy closed borders, then Spain, then more countries. North American Free Trade Agreement might prevent Mexico, USA and Canada from closing borders ??? Anyone know? It was just ratified by Canada a couple of days ago, wasn't it?

Also, @KALI, from the things you've posted, your restaurant has the good support of your community. Lean on that.

Design and print up a bunch of gift certificate blanks and promote the heck out of them so your customers can give you some cash now to be swapped for food later.

Promote the heck out of take-out. Set up some of those punch cards like the coffee houses do, "buy ten take-out meals and the next one's free" etc.

Do what you can to help get nutritious lunches to the school kids while school is out -- and your customers will appreciate you for that and support you even more.

Ask customers to chip in funds so you can provide free meals to health care providers, law enforcement, first responders, etc. Your customers will appreciate you for that and support you even more.

You'll think of lots more,

Gov. Newsom issues executive order to protect renters, homeowners during COVID-19 pandemic
Published 1 hour ago

“SACRAMENTO, Calif. - California Governor Gavin Newsom issued an executive order Monday that will protect renters and homeowners during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The order authorizes local governments to halt evictions, slow foreclosures and protects against utility shutoffs. The move follows the concerns many are experiencing with wage loss and layoffs that make it hard to pay rent, mortgages and utility bills, as the virus spreads. “

[...]

“At a Monday evening news conference the governor updated the situation on the novel coronavirus with the latest information and said there are 392 positive cases in the state and six deaths, including the death of one homeless person. The number of cases has increased by 15% from the day before, Newsom said.”

-more at link re: California/Governor’s plans

—-

Gavin Newsom moves to protect renters, utility customers as coronavirus spreads

“Newsom’s order largely supports what local jurisdictions have already undertaken in cities like Los Angeles,San Francisco, Sacramento and San Jose.

Newsom said his order would “clarify the legal ambiguity” of these local efforts. Utilities have also promised to maintain services, an assurance that the order will hold them accountable to, Newsom said.

“People shouldn’t lose or be forced out of their home because of the spread of COVID-19,” Newsom said in a statement. “Over the next few weeks, everyone will have to make sacrifices – but a place to live shouldn’t be one of them. I strongly encourage cities and counties take up this authority to protect Californians.””

This is a "dry" presentation, but from a very respected source, if you can bare watching it, I think it will give you the sobering truth.
https://edhub.ama-assn.org/jn-learning/video-player/18315311

God bless you all, I have to head to bed so that I have the energy to care for my medically fragile child...the bottom line is...I have to live in "survival mode" and as people discuss what to do amid the COVID 19, I am meeting with a therapist making decisions about "end of life care" for my daughter.
My biggest message would be...see this as a blessing. Never in the current American lifestyle have we been granted two, plus weeks, to spend with our families. There is nothing more dear or more important than how we love those in our lives. Hug the, kiss them, and create memories...none of us know when it might be our last moment with our loved one.

Wonderful advice. :)

I've read that the virus can last 24 hours on cardboard (which presumably includes paper), 72 hours (3 days) on polyurethane plastic, other plastics, and metal. I put a bag on my hand to pull the mail out of the mail box and put the bag on the counter. I don't touch it for 2 days. I ordered new glasses and they've been sitting, case open, on the counter since Friday. I'm not ready to put them next to my eyes. I agree that we also need to be careful of surfaces such as cardboard, paper and plastic - not just sneezing people.

Worse. Italy has a high level health care system and a lot of safety nets in place for the populace. Mexico doesn’t.

I mentioned Spring Breakers going to Tijuana because all the bars in San Diego are closing. I hope not. Spring Breakers stay home and help people instead.

Not that I think as a country they can handle this virus, but Mexico near the border has some really decent health and dental care facilities. I got my teeth worked on over there once. The costs is quite reduced compared to the U.S., so many people do go across the border. I'm not sure about in other parts of Mexico.

MOO, their sewer system must be pitiful. The town of Imperial Beach in the U.S. keeps getting flooded with sewage that comes from Mexico when it rains. It's on the news all the time. It leaves Mexico's trash on U.S. soil, and Imperial Beach which is a lovely town has to contend with sewage ocean water. This is bad news because the virus might spread easier. I keep hoping our President Trump would care about this problem not just his wall. Anyways, I know there's lots of new proud owners of food places in Baja and Tijuana, I see on PBS weekend shows. This virus is going to hurt so many. It has to be stopped.

Gardener1850.
Thank you for sharing.
I know it was awful.
I was in the car with you both, while you waited and waited and waited.
America has to get better then this.
Please share your story. It's important.
Hugs. I hope you can rest. More hugs. KALI
Our experience attempting to get tested for CoV19 today.

My DH's employer has a testing clinic set up for employees and their families. Call your employer, health insurance provider, your local hospital or your County Health Dept to find a location where you can get tested if you are sick.

First we called and the nurse asked about travel history, who we had come into contact with, our symptoms, etc. They gave us an appointment time and told us where to park, to stay in our vehicle and to call when we arrived. When we got there for our appointment there was a nurse in PPE talking to another patient in his car. Parking was limited (only 4 spaces). At first we parked with one parking space separating us from the other car (the farthest away we could get). The nurse waved at us without approaching, then went inside and called us on the phone. She asked us to move our vehicle to separate more from the other car. We had to park where there technically wasn't a legal parking space but we complied.

Next we waited and waited and waited. We watched the nurse make 3 trips to the other car and then the other car left. It took about 30 minutes for the person before us to be assessed and leave and then we waited another 30 minutes after that. My DH was frustrated about an hour after our appointment time and he almost went inside. But I convinced him to call instead and make sure they had not forgotten us, since we had moved our car away from the designated parking spaces like we were told to do. He called. They had not forgotten us. The nurse came out minutes later and apologized for the wait but she explained this was the first day they have done this and they are being extra careful. They have to change their PPE and get new gloves, new mask, new protective smock between each patient and between each sample collected, and they have to clean and disinfect everything thoroughly.

The nurse started by taking my temperature and my heart rate with a finger pulse reader. She asked me my symptoms. Then she explained they were first going to test for influenza. That test takes 10 minutes and if it is negative then they would test for other things. The test was a very painful nasal swab. It hurt so bad tears ran down my checks involuntarily. The nurse was very sweet and apologetic. She told me that unfortunately if the flu test was negative the next one would also be a nasal swab. She went back in to run my test and change her PPE. Next she came out and did the same flu test for DH. DH's symptoms are still worse than mine today. He couldn't stop coughing and he nearly threw up when the nurse swabbed his nose (did I mention it's painful? My nose still hurts from the swab).

Both our Flu tests came back negative. The nurse called my DH on the phone and asked him a bunch more questions about his symptoms and medical history. The nurse came back out and said that they were only going to test DH for other upper respiratory illnesses because he has worse symptoms than me and is higher risk of having it already. They will send the test away to a lab to be tested for a panel of several upper respiratory illnesses and ONLY if those all come back negative, then they will also test for CoV19. She said that if he tests positive for CoV19 they will assume I have it too and I don't need to get tested. DH has to stay home and self isolate for 14 days or until they medically clear him. If DH's test comes back with an upper respiratory illness other than C0V19 then his quarantine is lifted. If he tests positive for CoV19 then I have to stay home too. We also have to keep track of any and all visitors to our house for the 14 days. They gave us a sign-in form for tracking visitors.

At the time I was happy to not have another painful swab done but my poor DH had to have another one for the upper respiratory panel. Then I thought about the implications of this whole thing. What if we have an upper respiratory bug and CoV19 at the same time? What if our flu tests had been positive but we also have CoV19? We wouldn't have even been given the option of a 2nd test. What if DH and I have different illnesses? None of this procedure makes any sense in the context of the seriousness of this illness. Of course it looks like the numbers are low if they refuse to test someone without checking other things first! They didn't tells us and we didn't ask, but I'm sure this is due to a shortage of tests. They are probably rationing tests and it's very difficult to get tested unless you have had direct contact with a CoV19 positive person or unless everything else is ruled out. I don't know how long the additional tests will take either. We forgot to ask. Hopefully they will come back this week.

This I do not understand: Governors from all states trying to make decisions and COVID laws for their own states. Every state is different and in chaos. Why are there not federal rules that affect and embrace all states. Am I the only one who thinks this form of government is a mess?
Nope, not the only one. I’ve been astounded at how badly the coordination has been.

Coronavirus: Mexico may consider border-crossing limits

Evidently, Mexico wants to ensure that people who cross the border, from the United States, into Mexico, are legally admitted and inspected prior to entering Mexico.

Mexico would like to ensure border integrity and security. This is a commendable response, as they want to protect their citizens. I hope that Mexico is able to keep the virus out of their country.
Three of the five cases in our area tested positive for the virus upon returning from a trip to Mexico. I guess the virus travels both ways though.

I mentioned Spring Breakers going to Tijuana because all the bars in San Diego are closing. I hope not. Spring Breakers stay home and help people instead.

Not that I think as a country they can handle this virus, but Mexico near the border has some really decent health and dental care facilities. I got my teeth worked on over there once. The costs is quite reduced compared to the U.S., so many people do go across the border. I'm not sure about in other parts of Mexico.

MOO, their sewer system must be pitiful. The town of Imperial Beach in the U.S. keeps getting flooded with sewage that comes from Mexico when it rains. It's on the news all the time. It leaves Mexico's trash on U.S. soil, and Imperial Beach which is a lovely town has to content with sewage ocean water. This is bad news because the virus might spread easier. I know there's lots of new proud owners of food places in Baja and Tijuana, I see on PBS weekend shows. This virus is going to hurt so many. It has to be stopped.

Spring breakers cross over to Matamoros too from Padre

I've read that the virus can last 24 hours on cardboard (which presumably includes paper), 72 hours (3 days) on polyurethane plastic, other plastics, and metal. I put a bag on my hand to pull the mail out of the mail box and put the bag on the counter. I don't touch it for 2 days. I ordered new glasses and they've been sitting, case open, on the counter since Friday. I'm not ready to put them next to my eyes. I agree that we also need to be careful of surfaces such as cardboard, paper and plastic - not just sneezing people.
otto, You just brought back happy memories for me of my two little girls ( when they were not tattooed grown women) with plastic bread sacks on their little hands and arms, picking up dog poop in the back yard. They were so darn cute........moo

rbbm
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...onference-attendees-exposed-covid19-1.5499437

''Nearly 15,000 people who attended a dental conference in Vancouver in early March have been told to self-isolate immediately by B.C.'s provincial health officer who said multiple cases of coronavirus have been traced to the event.

On Monday, Dr. Bonnie Henry said 30 additional cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in B.C. since Saturday, bringing the total in the province to 103.

''Henry said at least four of those new cases are related to an infected person who attended the Pacific Dental Conference, held at the Vancouver Convention Centre March 5 to 7.

Henry said cases of COVID-19 identified in other areas of the country have also been traced back to the Vancouver conference.''

"They should not be at work. They should not be at school. They should not be around others," said Henry.''

If symptoms develop, people are asked to contact 811 or their health care provider. Only if symptoms are severe, such as shortness of breath or chest pain, should British Columbians call 911 or go to the Emergency Department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member