Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Italy will rush 10,000 student doctors into service, scrapping their final exams, in an effort to help the struggling health service cope with the #coronavirus outbreak t.co / TwitterrZYiyi1pST (1/4) Reuters on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

We’ve seen this with the UK where they are doing the same, pulling students out and also recruiting doctors to come out of retirement. Moo

This area is my home town and where my parents still live. It is also home to Eglin Air Force base is as well as Hurlburt Field. Spring break seems to be their only priority right now at the expense of everyone's health and safety.
I agree... it’s sad really. I feel for all the locals as I know how dependent tourism is for the economy, but I see anyone going as selfish and these rental companies as well. If restaurants and bars have to close, they should allow cancellations with at least vouchers. I have no “dog in the hunt” as I am completely refunded but I am watching and making a list that is for sure. I know who won’t be getting my business when I come back, which is often. There is no way little Sacred Heart Hospital can handle the load.

When all of this is behind us, I want my children to remember how their home felt during this time of confusion and uncertainty. My choices and behavior will teach them how to respond to stress and anxiety in their own lives. I want them to remember that we played board games and we went on bike rides. That their mom is terrible at video games. That our living room became my daughter's art studio so she could continue her college classes. That a friend let my son borrow his guitar so he could use YouTube videos to finally learn how to play.

Yes, things were cancelled. Yes, life had to change and we missed out on things. Yes, we had disappointments and challenges. Yes, we experienced loss. But we did it together and we tried to be happy and resilient. And when one of us wasn't, the others helped until they were again.

Excellent post. I've had a good chat about it all with mine (age 10 and 12) today. I laid out the facts and my expectations and hope it'll be the last chat for a while as I want this to pass over their heads as much as possible. They are aware of what's going on but I don't want to make them anxious, and above all I don't want them to end up paranoid about human contact.

It makes me sad that one of the biggest social changes will be a natural mistrust of other humans. It's making everyone utterly paranoid about everything they touch, who they see, whether people look ill, where they go, what they do, germs.

I'm a hugger and so are my children, affectionate little souls. I hope that doesn't change.

US, UK coronavirus strategies shifted following UK epidemiologists' ominous report - CNN
Updated 11:37 AM ET, Tue March 17, 2020

A study by UK epidemiologists predicts that attempts to slow, or mitigate -- rather than actively halt, or suppress -- the novel coronavirus could overwhelm the number of intensive care hospital beds and lead to about 250,000 deaths in the UK and more than a million in the United States during the course of the current pandemic.”
-more at link

CHARLESTON....then why did you release people off 2 ships into Charleston with no screening or quarantine....asking for a friend. How can you know they had no symptoms if you didn't screen, just saying....

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - Tri-County leaders urged people to follow guidelines to prevent possible exposure of the novel coronavirus, showing a stance of unity at a Tuesday news conference.

Officials have announced a citizens information line available at 843-746-3900.

Charleston County Council Chairman Elliott Summey, joined by city and county leaders, called it a message of solidarity.

“We’re here working together as one voice as we always do here in the Charleston Tri-County area with Dorchester County and Berkeley County as well, to help protect and provide for the safety and welfare of all of our citizens in the Tri-County area,” Summey said.

We do not want to become a hot spot,” Tecklenburg said. “We want to at all costs avoid becoming the next Italy here in South Carolina. And we do that by reducing the exposure and reducing the change of contagion of the virus by the general population.

Tri-County leaders on COVID-19: ‘We’re all in this together’

DHEC said a CDC physician recommended against screening 2,441 people who got off a cruise ship in Charleston.
The guidance came after health officials stated that no passengers showed symptoms
of potential COVID-19 while being monitored:
CDC doctor recommended against screenings of cruise passengers disembarking in Charleston
#chsnews

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

Same here. My tummy hurts with worry.

Me too. I have a knot of nausea and nerves that just won’t let go. This time last week, I was sitting happily in a restaurant in Glasgow, chowing down on gnocchi and roasted veggies, worried about the virus but still feeling it wasn’t quite real. The sledgehammer hit as I sat the airport the next day and watched the pandemic announcement. I’ve felt like yarking ever since. On a plus note, I’ve dropped 4lbs in a week and my self-isolating-snacks remain untouched.

The U.K. Promises Billions To Business, However, It Is A Rather Muddled Affair
Mar 17, 2020,02:50pm EST

“The U.K. Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rishi Sunak said the coronavirus is to be addressed on two fronts, i.e. it is "a public health emergency but also an economic emergency".

Speaking this afternoon, alongside the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson and the Chief Scientific Adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance he addressed the economic issue and said the government would do whatever will it takes as he unveiled government intervention “on a scale unimaginable only a few weeks ago”.”
-more at link

Coronavirus doctor says lung scans for young patients were ‘nothing short of terrifying’

Dr. Ignace Demeyer, who works at a hospital in Aalst, said an increasing number of people between the ages of 30 and 50 have presented with severe symptoms, despite having “blank medical records” that show no underlying conditions that would make them high-risk, the Brussels Times reported.

“They just walk in, but they are terribly affected by the virus,” Demeyer told the Belgian broadcaster VRT.

He said CT scans indicated they were suffering from severe lung damage.

“The images we took yesterday are nothing short of terrifying,” the doctor told the station.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/coron...ng-patients-were-nothing-short-of-terrifying/

Please know I’m not posting this information to cause any additional distress. I just hope younger people realise that they are not invincible and how serious this virus is. We all must follow the health advice given to protect ourselves, our loved ones and everyone in society.

WASHINGTON DC

LOCATIONS ADDED Starting tomorrow, to-go lunch and shelf-stable breakfast will be available from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for all students – including non-DCPS students – every weekday. We've also added 3 new meal sites:
✅ @RooseveltHSDC
✅ @WheatleyDCPS
✅ @NevalThomasES DC Public Schools on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

Can someone tell me more about what this is about? I'm not familiar with this practice. Does this mean that students go to the schools to pick up their meals? At first glance, this seems like a disaster in the making.

BBC:
All non-urgent England operations to be postponed
40 minutes ago

“All non-urgent operations in England will be postponed from 15 April to free up 30,000 beds to help tackle coronavirus, NHS England has said.

The emergency policy will be in place for at least three months.

(ETA: This is why I referred to no more boob jobs a few weeks ago. LOL)

It comes as a further 14 people in England have died with the virus, as well as one each from Scotland and Wales, taking the UK death toll to 71.

And Chancellor Rishi Sunak has unveiled government-backed loans worth £330bn to prop up the UK economy.

"Never in peacetime have we faced an economic fight like this one," he said at a Downing Street press conference, as he unveiled an "unprecedented package" of measures to ease the financial burdens caused by the virus.”

[...]

“Other measures to be put in place include extended business rates relief and a three-month mortgage holiday for people in financial difficulty as a result of the virus.

"We must act like any wartime government and do whatever it takes to support our economy," Prime Minister Boris Johnson said.”

[...]

“He also advised people taking painkillers to use paracetamol instead of ibuprofen, after French health officials indicated anti-inflammatory drugs could worsen the virus - a suggestion Sir Patrick said "may or may not be right".”
-More at link

I was supposed to spring break in Destin. Cancelled. I also follow local Facebook pages and can tell you it is infuriating how money hungry and greedy these rental companies, and some rental owners are. Blatantly telling people to come on down, salt air and sunshine are good! Live your life! Etc! No talk of refunds. Many renters are out thousands if they decide to cancel. I’m taking note and deciding who I will do business with again in the future. My prediction- Okaloosa, Walton and Santa Rosa counties will become a hotspot before long. Unfortunately, the towns are so small the visitors will spread throughout the US but mainly the SE.

ETA: also hearing friends who work in restaurants are supposed to be tested yet no one- primary, er, doctor can tell them how or where to get tested!

I'm in Santa Rosa County. Pensacola Beach has been crazy busy with Spring Breakers. A neighbor's daughter who is a server at one of the beach's hotspot restaurants (and it's large) said Sunday night was the busiest she's seen in two years of working there. She says they've been taking precautions, but it only takes one cough.

My daughter just got the email that her university will extend remote instruction through the end of the spring semester. Additionally (this doesn't apply to her directly), they will not be having spring commencement ceremonies. I fear there will be plenty of disappointment, sadness, and sacrifice in the months to come for many people.
I’m wondering about that for my daughter as well. She goes to school in Florida. I can’t imagine what move out day could be like. One big Petri dish! How on earth will that be handled? Assuming your daughter is in dorms. Mine is.

FLORIDA

2:40 p.m.: Florida closes all bars, limits beach access
All bars and nightclubs in Florida will close for the next 30 days, but unlike other states, Florida will keep restaurants open.

Florida restaurants must limit access to 50% capacity and stagger seating to keep customers at least 6 feet apart, according to an executive order issued by Gov. Ron DeSantis.

The governor is directing residents to follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance by limiting their gatherings to no more than 10 persons.

Coronavirus live updates: Shelter-in-place order possible in New York City

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

I agree... it’s sad really. I feel for all the locals as I know how dependent tourism is for the economy, but I see anyone going as selfish and these rental companies as well. If restaurants and bars have to close, they should allow cancellations with at least vouchers. I have no “dog in the hunt” as I am completely refunded but I am watching and making a list that is for sure. I know who won’t be getting my business when I come back, which is often. There is no way little Sacred Heart Hospital can handle the load.
Even the gyms are still open...at least my dad's is anyway because he is STILL GOING. Don't get me started on that. I fear that whole area is going to get a rude awakening in the next couple of weeks. So happy you got a full refund!

“NHS England said those who died were aged between 45 and 93 and all had underlying health conditions.

Sixty-seven have now died in England after testing positive for COVID-19.

Earlier, it was revealed the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the UK has reached 1,950 - up 407 in the past 24 hours and a rise of 26%.”

Coronavirus: 14 more deaths in England - UK total now 71

Honest question - if GLOBALLY the cases are 190,000, why would predictions be in the millions for just the US alone? Is testing the problem? China under-reporting?
I'm behind, so this may have been answered already, but just in case...

Exponential growth. Cases double roughly every six days. Unless we can stop the exponential growth, the numbers get really, really big really, really fast.

I've posted links on this before, but it's a difficult thing to wrap your head around, and there are a lot of new people on the thread that need to understand this, so here they are again.

Exponential growth can be difficult to understand.

Coronavirus & Exponential Growth: The Chessboard Problem | National Review

Simple math offers alarming answers about Covid-19, health care - STAT

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...hat-you-can-see-what-you-cant/?outputType=amp

Thank you so much for the updates. Still keeping you and your DH in our prayers. How are his symptoms? Praying he is feeling on the upswing now.

Thanks for praying. This morning he was coughing a lot but his symptoms seem better this afternoon. Or at least, I have not heard much coughing coming from his side of the house. He's been quietly working in a separate room from me and asked me not to interrupt because he has some conference calls from work this afternoon. I haven't seen him since lunch but we text each other when we need things, LOL. This is the weirdest staycation I've ever had. I'd say we have a good sense of humor about it all right now and we both feel optimistic that we will recover from whatever this is with no problems. I'm more concerned about the rest of the world recovering. But we will keep praying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia