Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m wondering about that for my daughter as well. She goes to school in Florida. I can’t imagine what move out day could be like. One big Petri dish! How on earth will that be handled? Assuming your daughter is in dorms. Mine is.
Apparently they are allowing students to stay in their dorms if they don't have any other alternative. I think they have to file some paperwork or something in order to qualify? Don't quote me on that.

This directive came from the Florida Board of Governors, which oversees the State University System, so I think all state universities in FL would have the same situation at this point.

When all of this is behind us, I want my children to remember how their home felt during this time of confusion and uncertainty. My choices and behavior will teach them how to respond to stress and anxiety in their own lives. I want them to remember that we played board games and we went on bike rides. That their mom is terrible at video games. That our living room became my daughter's art studio so she could continue her college classes. That a friend let my son borrow his guitar so he could use YouTube videos to finally learn how to play.

Yes, things were cancelled. Yes, life had to change and we missed out on things. Yes, we had disappointments and challenges. Yes, we experienced loss. But we did it together and we tried to be happy and resilient. And when one of us wasn't, the others helped until they were again.
That’s so great. That will be a great teaching tool.
I’m working from home today and seeing dads walking their kids on the trail behind my house. It’s lovely. But I’m also thinking of the households in chaos. The children of parents who have to work. I can’t imagine the stress in these households.

We have a small business that is not retail oriented but e-commerce. We are still working as are our employees. But they are worried. Fortunately not affected by needing to stay home with kids. Uncharted territory.

BBC:

“He also advised people taking painkillers to use paracetamol instead of ibuprofen, after French health officials indicated anti-inflammatory drugs could worsen the virus - a suggestion Sir Patrick said "may or may not be right".”
-More at link

Of course, after I stocked up on Motrin. I hope the grocery store has some Tylenol.

Thanks for praying. This morning he was coughing a lot but his symptoms seem better this afternoon. Or at least, I have not heard much coughing coming from his side of the house. He's been quietly working in a separate room from me and asked me not to interrupt because he has some conference calls from work this afternoon. I haven't seen him since lunch but we text each other when we need things, LOL. This is the weirdest staycation I've ever had. I'd say we have a good sense of humor about it all right now and we both feel optimistic that we will recover from whatever this is with no problems. I'm more concerned about the rest of the world recovering. But we will keep praying.

You are tough as nails, baby!!!!

At an Amazon facility in Italy, 30% of workers have reportedly stopped showing up due to fears of the coronavirus
28 minutes ago

• Absenteeism rates at an Amazon logistics hub in Italy have hit 30% in recent weeks as workers stay home due to coronavirus fears, Bloombergreported on Monday.
  • Amazon has refused to close the facility for cleaning, a union official told Bloomberg, even after two employees tested positive for COVID-19.
  • Workers there are going on strike today, outraged by the company's response to the cases, which stands in stark contrast to its calls for many office employees to work remotely.
  • "We are following the guidelines of local and international health authorities," Amazon said in a statement to Spanish news site La Información.

Disinfect your Devices to Stop Virus Spread

Cellphones carry 10 times more bacteria than a toilet seat

"With heightened awareness of coronavirus, companies like Apple and Google are updating guidelines to help keep mobile phones and other devices clean."

The CDC recommends that we disinfect daily frequently touched surfaces.

70% Isopropyl Alcohol Wipe Clorox Disinfectant Wipes
Is ok on non-porous surfaces of your Apple product, such as the display, keyboard, or other exterior surface

Don't use bleach, avoid getting moisture in any opening
Don't submerge your product in any cleaning agents.
Avoid slathering your hand sanitizer, or spraying any disinfectants

You could also try using a UV sanitation device, which is an electronic device that beams UV-C rays at your phone to kill germs.

"These phones have a coating on them to prevent oil or grease from your hand from sticking on the phone," Jason Siciliano, vice president and global creative director of smartphone protection service SquareTrade, told Business Insider. "Using alcohol or or those types of everyday solutions directly on a phone, on its glass, can harm it."

VIDEO
How to keep your phone germ-free

Washing your hands isn't enough, your smartphone is full of germs and bacteria — here's how to safely clean it without ruining its screen

I disagree and have voiced my concern thru both Senators and directly to the President. Don't know if its a state by state situation or global. I kinda got the impress from today's presser, some states just were not prepared.

It is a federal mandate under Homeland Security States, hospital and medical companies must prepare, have supplies and a response team for any and all emergencies. It's called a Hazardous Vulnerability Analysis (HVA). HLS made it really easy, they list everything from high wind to terrorist attack. You rate the likelihood of the peril in your community and everything must have a detailed plan. The high likelihood perils are the ones most of the money, training and prep are spent on.

I do know Virginia did not have a stock pile. It was only about a couple hundred mask. Stockpile is subjective my toilet paper stockpile maybe to rolls and others 10. My local HD only received 6, yes 6 from the State of Virginia, the excuse was "you don't have any proved cases".

I have 4 boxes of N95s that are now approved. They are from the industrial side, look the same and now FDA has approved for medical use. I called my buddies on the local Emergent Response Team and offered up two boxes. Hey, were all in this together.

I'm not hearing that complaint from my NC or SC medical professional friends. Hum.....

@Simply Southern
VA seems very ill-prepared. I think it's strange considering how close it is to DC. Thank you for doing your best to obtain supplies. Do you think it's strange that Richmond has no cases yet? Are they just not testing? How could a city that size not have one case?

That’s so great. That will be a great teaching tool.
I’m working from home today and seeing dads walking their kids on the trail behind my house. It’s lovely. But I’m also thinking of the households in chaos. The children of parents who have to work. I can’t imagine the stress in these households.

We have a small business that is not retail oriented but e-commerce. We are still working as are our employees. But they are worried. Fortunately not affected by needing to stay home with kids. Uncharted territory.
I also worry about people living in abusive and dysfunctional situations. All of this additional stress can certainly make those situations worse.

Hey Everyone,

We are putting together a forum for the virus. If you have any ideas for the categories to be included in the forum please send me a private message. Here is what I am thinking so far:
Each state will have its own thread. We will ask everyone to put in information about their state.
A general discussion where this thread and the past threads will be located.
A media thread of course.
Debunking all the kooky crap out there discussion.
Daily count of how many cases are being reported and how many deaths. We would have other countries included. This would be a no discussion thread too.
I have a few more ideas but I am open to anything.
Thanks.
Tricia

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this is what my Governer said Friday, (Colorado):

“Governor Polis says there are likely hundreds of people, if not thousands, in Colorado who have coronavirus and either have tests pending or have not been tested. However, more than 80% of the people who get the virus are able to recover on their own.”

This gives you an idea.

Considering so many people are out running around, as opposed to China, who even knows what those numbers are,

Everyday that people are out...

Now, with that being said, Dr. Mike mentioned in the Q & A section of Friday’s WHO PC that closing borders, for example, is not the only thing that is important (paraphrasing this and relating it to mitigation)- there is a balanced approach which needs to occur, mainly at slowing it down, holding it back.

We are at that moment right now where not taking measures drastically affects what goes down in the future. We see the exponential figures as related to multiplication, doubling, etc...

We have to push this back. If we have any hope of...

Not slowing down at all... yellow is outside mainland China...View attachment 238977

Source:Johns Hopkins

Free Hand Sanitizer Atlanta, GA

Old Fourth Distillery in the historic Old Fourth Ward neighborhood of Atlanta, has stopped producing vodka, bourbon, and gin, and started producing hand sanitizer — and they’re giving their new product away.

“We were sort of feeling helpless, you know? What can we do? Our business is already basically shut down. People aren’t booking events. We live and die on people going out, and they’re not going out,” says Jeff Moore, co-owner of Old Fourth Distillery with his brother Craig. “We’ve got all this down time, and we need to do something. We can’t just sit idly by.”

"Due to the recent reports of outages and low supply in our community, We have decided to provide hand sanitizer free of charge to anyone in need. Made with aloe vera gel and 95% ethanol," the business wrote in an Instagram post last week.

"This is no substitute for washing your hands but in a pinch it will get the job done. Available at the Distillery starting March 12th at 5pm. If you have a container please bring it and we will be happy to fill it!"

From Spirits to Sanitizer: How an Atlanta Distillery Is Helping Fight COVID-19

Old Fourth Distillery on Instagram: “March 16th update: Thanks everyone for the tremendous amount of support! Due to the overwhelming need of first responders and healthcare…”

My daughter just got the email that her university will extend remote instruction through the end of the spring semester. Additionally (this doesn't apply to her directly), they will not be having spring commencement ceremonies. I fear there will be plenty of disappointment, sadness, and sacrifice in the months to come for many people.

My son's classed were moved to online for the rest of the semester, he graduates in May with a MBA. He ordered his cap and gown last Monday and I am glad he did. We plan on doing a mock ceremony if need be and take plenty of pictures to celebrate his achievement.

US cases now
Total 5,830
1,090 new cases so far today.

At this pace, the math is: (doubling every 6 days)
18,000 cases in 12 days
36,000 in 18 days
72,000 in 24 days
144,000 in 30 days April 17
288,000 in 36 days
576,000 in 42 days
1.2 million in 48 days
2.4 million in 54 days
4.8 million in 60 days May 17
9.6 million in 66 days
19.2 million in 72 days
38.4 million in 78 days