Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus: 'Radical Change' To Life; Italy's Cases Surpass 31,500

Updated at 2:40 p.m. ET

“"As of today, 152 countries across the globe are affected by this new virus and over 7,000 people have lost their lives to it," the World Health Organization's regional director for Europe said Tuesday, describing the reach of a coronavirus that is disrupting lives in countries around the world.

"One-third of globally reported cases are in the European region," the WHO's Dr. Hans Henri P. Kluge said, reiterating his agency's recent acknowledgement that the COVID-19 pandemic's epicenter lies not in China, where this coronavirus was discovered in December, but in Europe.

"The lives of millions of people in our region are undergoing radical change. There is quite simply a new reality," Kluge said in a briefing that was held in a U.N. building that has been nearly completely abandoned as workers stay home to practice social distancing. As Kluge spoke, a large bottle of hand sanitizer sat on the table in front of him.

The U.S. has more than 5,600 cases of the respiratory virus, as of midday Tuesday, and 94 people have died. New York is reporting some 1,700 cases, and Washington state is reporting nearly 1,000.”

I’ve worked with feral and stray cats. Over the years, I’ve learned something that applies to people just as much as it does to cats, “you can only help them as much as they’ll let you” Some people sadly have the “it won’t affect me, why should I worry” or the “it’ll be over in a couple of weeks - storm in a teacup” mentality. Sadly, the only time they’ll understand and agree with your view is when they or their loved ones are confirmed to have the virus. IMO JMO

The irony is the humans will all be locked down while the cats can roam freely wherever they like. Now we know why they often look like they're plotting to take over the world....

TULSA, OKLAHOMA.....BUT NOTHING FROM OK GOVERNOR

As we continue to work to protect Tulsans from the spread of COVID-19, and in accordance with guidance from the CDC and the Tulsa Health Department, I am issuing an executive order that regulates restaurants, bars, movie theaters, and other public places: Mayor GT Bynum G.T. Bynum on Twitter
G.T. Bynum on Twitter

The Governor of Oklahoma has failed to act - even went to a crowded restaurant. The mayor of Tulsa has stepped in.
Topher Spiro on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

Brief update on the testing front: My DH's panel test for upper respiratory illnesses came back negative for everything. Next they will test his sample for CoV19. That test will take another 24 hours at least before we hear results. I don't know whether to hope he has CoV19 or not at this point.

I sort of hope we have it because this is not that bad and we are able to stay home right now if we absolutely have to. Then once we are over it and cleared medically we can help everyone else around us who gets it. On the other hand, if we don't have it yet we can resume some normalcy right away, but we still have to be careful going out in the world and will have to worry about when we will get it. I don't think it's a matter of "if" we will get it but a matter of "when" at this point. It doesn't seem like a winning situation either way...

Thank you so much for the updates. Still keeping you and your DH in our prayers. How are his symptoms? Praying he is feeling on the upswing now.

Mayor Warns NYC to Prepare for Potential Shelter-in-Place Order Amid ‘Fast-Growing Crisis’
In the absence of uniform national standards issued by the federal government, Govs. Andrew Cuomo, Phil Murphy and Ned Lamont have implemented their own set of coordinated rules for the tri-state area
Published March 17, 2020• Updated 2 mins ago

“Mayor Bill de Blasio told New Yorkers Tuesday to prepare for a potential citywide shelter-in-place order. While no state or city mandate has been issued at this time, the mayor said "we are deeply concerned about the direction and trajectory" of infection. A decision would be likely within 48 hours.

Earlier in the day, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said any such order would require state approval. The city of San Francisco, though, has implemented a similar order in several counties to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Describing the city's plight as a "fast-growing crisis," de Blasio added hundreds of new cases to the number Cuomo had given for NYC just hours earlier. By mid-afternoon Tuesday, New York City coronavirus cases had surpassed 800, according to the mayor. Seven NYC residents have died, along with five others across the state. The death toll in New Jersey held at three as of Tuesday.

Curve Not Flattening Fast Enough
Earlier Tuesday, Cuomo warned that New York state coronavirus infections may not peak for 45 days, projecting the state could need up to 110,000 hospital beds -- a number that simply dwarfs the current capacity.

Unprecedented restrictions have already been implemented. Cuomo said more aggressive measures are "likely" to come with the curve showing no signs of flattening out.”

Mayor Warns NYC to Prepare for Potential Shelter-in-Place Order Amid ‘Fast-Growing Crisis’

Should have done this a week ago. Its hard for some elected officials to make those really tuff decisions. To close a city is devastating.

May see more federal response, by making this decision. The feds seem to be helping those that help themselves. Time to stop dancing and pay the piper.

Moo...

Uber and Lyft cancel shared rides

“Uber and Lyft will no longer offer users the option of sharing or pooling rides, as the companies try to limit customers' potential exposure to the coronavirus.

Both of the ride-hailing companies announced the temporary change on Tuesday.

"The health and safety of the Lyft community is our top priority, and we're dedicated to doing what we can to slow the spread of COVID-19," Lyft said via Twitter.

Lyft is halting the use of shared rides "across all markets." Uber is suspending its "Pool" option in the U.S. and Canada, as well as in London and Paris.

"Uber and Lyft let passengers carpool, in exchange for cheaper fares," NPR's Shannon Bond reports from San Francisco. "These features are being put on hold as cities tell people to avoid nonessential travel and stay at least 6 feet away from each other. The companies are still operating their regular ride services, and UberEats is still offering food delivery."”

When all of this is behind us, I want my children to remember how their home felt during this time of confusion and uncertainty. My choices and behavior will teach them how to respond to stress and anxiety in their own lives. I want them to remember that we played board games and we went on bike rides. That their mom is terrible at video games. That our living room became my daughter's art studio so she could continue her college classes. That a friend let my son borrow his guitar so he could use YouTube videos to finally learn how to play.

Yes, things were cancelled. Yes, life had to change and we missed out on things. Yes, we had disappointments and challenges. Yes, we experienced loss. But we did it together and we tried to be happy and resilient. And when one of us wasn't, the others helped until they were again.

Thank you for this. My obsessive press conference watching is not helping my kids' anxiety.

My opinion of the "Whole Foods" employees, is that right now, unless your employer lets you work from home, or you are laid off, go to work, like the rest of us. I am at work, interacting with people, just like they are.

But, a follow up, is that right now, people are hyped up. I mean, escalation is on the tip of any interaction. I recognized this today, in several interactions, that are normal "business", today, turned into some major **** storms. People are on edge.

Geez, our grand daughter wanted to write up which relatives she wants to live with in case her parents die. That is some major weird conversation for dinner.

Poor baby.

Same here. My tummy hurts with worry.

We are going to have to have a conference on this because I was so sick with worry last few weeks I was literally having chest pains. And dizziness, fainting, nausea, no sleep, etc.

The emotional duress is going to kill us before the CV does.

Let us focus on mental health here as much as possible. Loving all the hot tea and online yoga posts, etc.

“Hospital in Massachusetts will be dedicated to treating COVID-19 patients

The Carney Hospital in Dorchester, Mass., is being remade into what is believed to be the first U.S. hospital devoted entirely to caring for COVID-19 patients, in a process that will begin on Tuesday.

"The 135-bed hospital on Dorchester Avenue will be converted immediately to enhance 'patient isolation protocols' and to marshal equipment such as ventilators and personal protective equipment on site," member station WBUR reports.

Steward Health Care, which operates Carney Hospital, says the changes will also include the creation of negative pressure patient wards.

Steward, which is based in Dallas, "operates 35 hospitals in nine states and serves more than six million patients annually," according to its website.

The company says its all-COVID-19 conversion has two main goals: to establish a model for care that's dedicated to fighting the pandemic and to free up other medical facilities, including emergency rooms, to help people with other urgent conditions. Steward also says it's working to set up more drive-through testing sites.

"While we have only treated 10 confirmed COVID-19 inpatients across our more than 7,000 beds nationwide to date, we are prepared for an influx," the company says.”

Colorado nurse says she's feeling better after long bout with COVID-19
Published 2 hours ago

“Merck went on to say, “Right now, I am feeling good. I did some stretches this morning. I have gotten my energy back. I still feel a little nauseous and I feel short of breath, so we got to go outside yesterday and just take a little walk down our alley. We make sure that we stay 6 to 20 feet away from everybody.”

“Overall, I’m getting much better and healthier,” Merck said.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member