Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.

There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.

New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'

Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.

Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.

But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Experts say the fact three Chinese tourists have tested positive for the virus outside Wuhan indicates the disease toll may be higher than reported.

Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

COVID-19 -Media, Maps, Videos, Timelines, CDC/WHO Resources, etc. ***NO DISCUSSION***

POLLS:

POLL: Confident that US agencies are doing everything to prevent the spread of COVID-19?
POLL: What concerns you most about COVID-19?
POLL: Confident in US medical facilities and personnel to adequately manage COVID-19?
POLL: What do you think the status of COVID-19 will be in six months (September, 2020)?

______

COVID-19 Coronavirus Memorial Thread
______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

______

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN WARNING:

This thread is fast moving and labour intensive and we have other active threads that need attention.

Politicizing is NOT allowed. If your post is found to contain political statements or politics in general, it will be removed and a thread ban will be issued which means you will not be able to post in this thread, only read.

Critique your own post before submitting it to the thread to make sure it does not have a political bent; otherwise you may find you lose posting privileges.

Post accordingly.

Hey Everyone,

We are putting together a forum for the virus. If you have any ideas for the categories to be included in the forum please send me a private message. Here is what I am thinking so far:
Each state will have its own thread. We will ask everyone to put in information about their state.
A general discussion where this thread and the past threads will be located.
A media thread of course.
Debunking all the kooky crap out there discussion.
Daily count of how many cases are being reported and how many deaths. We would have other countries included. This would be a no discussion thread too.
I have a few more ideas but I am open to anything.
Thanks.
Tricia

Let me clear something up. We will all be together on this thread discussing just like we are now. The other categories will be added so you all can access certain pieces of info more quickly.

MOD NOTE
A few things to help keep this vital discussion open and safe:

• This forum is NOT for debate. It is for the sharing of information and feelings. If someone’s feelings are not in line with yours, DO NOT DEBATE. It is not productive and it negates the purpose of the discussion here. STOP before you reply in anger to someone who posted something you do not agree with or like. REPORT it instead and Mods will determine how to handle it or whether it can stay. DO NOT DEBATE.
  • Discussing personal FB posts of ANY kind, yours included, is a violation of TOS. Apparently Facebook has had a technical glitch and numerous posts by many folks were deleted in error. THAT IS NOT FOR DISCUSSION ON THIS BOARD, and those posts talking about it will be deleted.
  • ANY of the above CAN be discussed in Private Messages. That is where these subjects belong.
This is an extremely difficult and challenging time for all of us. It is not uncommon for fear to manifest itself in anger. We can try our best to direct our fear and anger in ways that do not hurt others, but will still allow for venting anger because that is normal and healthy. We just need to try to keep the anger off the boards so that we can all manage our fear at such a time as this.

COMPANIES HIRING

Walmart, the largest private employer in the United States, has announced it will hire 150,000 workers from now until the end of May. Those hired will work in stores, distribution centers, clubs and fulfillment centers, Walmart said Thursday.

7-Eleven, the country’s largest convenience store chain, announced Friday it will hire 20,000 new workers for in-store roles, many of whom will work to meet what the company calls a “surge” in mobile orders.

Petra Industries
On March 20, Petra announced plans to hire at least 50 new full-time positions over the next couple weeks. These new jobs will help Petra meet the rising demand for ecommerce fulfillment.

Amazon plans hire 100,000 people to keep up with online orders as the coronavirus spreads and keeps more people at home, shopping online. The company will also raise pay by $2 an hour through the end of April for hourly employees, who work at its warehouses, delivery centers and Whole Foods grocery stores.

Online learning companies: Now that over 30 million children are out of school, it’s boom time for online schools, which are swiftly expanding capacity. Outschool is hiring thousands of teachers to meet demand.

Grocery stores and delivery services: Grocery stores are your friends. Major chains such as Kroger, Meijer, and Safeway are hiring in-store shelf stockers and delivery staff; ditto for regional chains such as Raley’s. Grocery delivery services and apps such as Instacart are also hiring.

Working families: Many working parents are now forced to hire for many months of childcare, now that California’s governor announced that schools likely won’t open before fall. If kidcare is your jam, consider offering cheap, flexible options. Snap up these gigs in the next couple weeks.

Remote meeting and communication companies: Zoom is hiring, as are Slack and Microsoft Teams.

Walmart, 7-Eleven to hire thousands of workers amid coronavirus outbreak

Who is hiring during the coronavirus? Try these industries if you need a job now

LIST: Companies hiring during coronavirus pandemic

I am right now, sat in the UK watching 11pm Sky News,. footage they recorded since being invited into an Italian hospital, in a bid to show the World why Lockdown should be enforced where necessary. And to be fair, it absolutely gets the message home. Whilst I am typing, I cannot talk, I am speechless.
The hospital morgues are full to capacity. Coffins of deceased people are lined up, side by side and also toe to toe with other victims on opposite side of room.. they were all alone when they passed away. Their families all in quarantine. They are having to be cremated without the usual family and friends gathering, simply because the hospitals need the space for the more recently deceased persons and of course, family and friends are quarantined. I feel devastated just now and a sense of hoplessness of what to expect here in the coming week has come over me. The doctor said it just is not subsiding in Italy and the more and more victims are getting younger.. Please, this is not scare mongering, this is the reality and as much as it is heartbreaking It is terrifying!. Please PLEASE PEOPLE, STAY HOME. SAVE YOURSELVES. AND GOD BLESS THE HEALTH SERVICES. X
I pray for each and everyone of us.
Take REAL care folks. God Bless X

Breaking..
Ontario confirms 60 new COVID-19 infections; Canada surpasses 1,000 cases
Ontario confirms 60 new COVID-19 infections; Canada surpasses 1,000 cases
''Ontario health officials reported 60 new confirmed COVID-19 infections on Friday, raising the province's total, including deaths and recoveries to 318.

It's the single largest increase in confirmed novel coronavirus infections in Ontario since the outbreak began. New cases in Alberta and British Columbia announced Friday evening pushed the country's total to 1,000.

Canada has a total of 1,087 cases after Alberta and B.C. reported 49 and 77 new cases, respectively.''

I also feel this way, to get it now and have it over, and hopefully get immunity that lasts, as I will get it at some point, due to working at the emergency room. Even if there are screening of patients outside the entrance at the moment, sooner or later there will be a patient with the corona virus getting in, and spreading the virus. If I got it now, then I would be able to keep on working without waiting for the virus to hit.
@FrostOwl, how are your fellow ER workers doing/feeling? You're all in my thoughts.

SHREVEPORT, La (KTAL/KMSS) – The number of confirmed coronavirus cases is rising daily and more people are being asked to stay at home. But for some people home is not a safe place.

According to the Shreveport Domestic Violence Safe House manager, the number of cases is raising each week.
Domestic violence tends to rise during the coronavirus spread

Really glad for this. Since nothing is open, there is no reason for children to be out, not only due to Covid 19, but to reduce criminal acts, moo.
www.news-graphic.com › breaking_news › city-county-issue-nighttime-...

9 hours ago - A curfew for anyone 18 and under from 9pm to 6am, unless with a parent, has been issued for Georgetown and Scott County via executive orders from Mayor Tom Prather and Judge-Executive Joe Pat Covington.

Olympics - US Swimming calls for 1 yr postponement:

USA Swimming President Calls for 2020 Olympics to Be Postponed Over COVID-19

Quotes from article:

The president of Team USA Swimming has fired off a letter to the head of the U.S. Olympic Committee strongly urging for the 2020 Games to be postponed 1 year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Tim Hinchey -- President and CEO of USA Swimming -- feels it's unfair to force athletes to prepare for Tokyo 2020 while they're trying to follow government mandates urging them to quarantine and stay out of public places.

As we previously reported, Olympic training pools around the country have been shut downto protect the athletes from exposure to the COVID-19 virus ... leaving many swimmers without a place to work out while they prep for the biggest competition of their lives.

So, Hinchey sent a letter to Sarah Hirshland -- CEO of the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee -- urging her to push for a 1-year postponement.

"As this global pandemic has grown, we have watched our athletes’ worlds be turned upside down and watched them struggle to find ways to continue to prepare and train – many for the biggest competitive opportunity of their lives."

"Our world class swimmers are always willing to race anyone, anytime and anywhere; however, pressing forward amidst the global health crisis this summer is not the answer."

"The right and responsible thing to do is to prioritize everyone’s health and safety and appropriately recognize the toll this global pandemic is taking on athletic preparations," Hinchey wrote.

"It has transcended borders and wreaked havoc on entire populations, including those of our respected competitors. Everyone has experienced unimaginable disruptions, mere months before the Olympic Games, which calls into question the authenticity of a level playing field for all."

Hinchey added ... "Our athletes are under tremendous pressure, stress and anxiety, and their mental health and wellness should be among the highest priorities."

"It is with the burden of these serious concerns that we respectfully request that the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee advocate for the postponement of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 by one year."

So far, Tokyo 2020 organizers are adamant the event will take place as scheduled in July 2020 -- and they're currently holding torch lighting ceremonies in Japan.

Will the tide start to turn now that Team USA Swimming is making noise? Stay tuned ...

Gov. Andy Beshear announced 16 new cases of novel coronavirus in Kentucky on Friday, bringing the statewide total up to at least 64.

Eight of the new positive cases, including a 17-year-old female, are Jefferson County, bringing that area’s total to 25. The others are in Oldham, Anderson, Calloway, Hardin, Henderson, Fayette, Warren counties. More than 1,000 tests had been conducted to detect the virus in Kentucky, though those numbers are getting harder to track as more testing sites come online. As of Thursday, the state had eight labs.

Beshear in his Friday afternoon Capitol news conference said people shouldn’t be surprised at the rising number of cases. “We ought to expect to have more each and every day,” he said.

Read more here: https://www.kentucky.com/news/coronavirus/article241373551.html#storylink=cpy

A question for the medical people.

Lets say my employer send me home for 2 or 4 weeks, or 2 month, whatever, and this dies down, and go back to work. What is to say we don't catch it after that period. Isn't this stay home period more about taking the burden off the hospital now? Is it not likely we get this virus at some point later?

As I fully encompass the impact of this awful virus, I am literally in tears. Thinking long term, so many will not survive. What about summer and picnics, bicycling, swimming, vacations? Thanksgiving? Christmas? What will happen to schools? To people out of work? I just cannot comprehend it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14