Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
COLUMBIA, S.C. - The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) is investigating 46 additional cases of the COVID-19 novel coronavirus. This brings the total number statewide to 173 cases* in 30 counties.

New positive cases

Anderson County: 4 cases
Beaufort County: 4 cases
Charleston County: 4 cases
Colleton County: 1 case
Darlington County: 1 case
Dillon County: 1 case
Edgefield County: 1 case
Greenville County: 5 cases
Greenwood County: 2 cases
Horry County: 1 case
Kershaw County: 6 cases
Lexington County: 4 cases
Marlboro County: 1 case
Newberry County: 1 case
Orangeburg County: 1 case
Richland County: 6 cases
Spartanburg County: 1 case
Sumter County: 2 cases
York County: 1 case

DHEC announces 46 new COVID-19 cases; 173 statewide and 9 total in Horry County

I do think that people are stocking up on chips, cookies, pop tarts because these items have a long shelf life and it limits store trips. I should eat healthy but I gravitate towards junk food. As a kid, I rarely had junk food (parents were struggling to buy regular food the the family) and as an adult I have given in to junk food. As I have mentioned many times, I hate cooking.

Still can't keep my 88 year old mother and my 89 year old father (who is a cancer survivor) at home..my sister's called me and said my mom went to the base commissary this morning (dad is retired Air Force) but it was too crowded, so they wouldn't let her in...thank goodness.

They have more than enough supplies and everything they need and 5 of my brothers and sisters live streets away from them...yet my Dad is in Costco today of all places.

One of my sister's called him and tried to reason with him, but my dad is like "I survived WW2 and survived Vietnam, none of my kids are going to tell me what to do" ...but its not just him you see...they also take care of my handicapped sister who is in her 60's and has a myraid of health issues, diabetes being one of them.

Sigh...I just dont get it...oh and they do not live in a small town, quite the opposite, they live in an extremely crowded suburb of DC.

I do think that people are stocking up on chips, cookies, pop tarts because these items have a long shelf life and it limits store trips. I should eat healthy but I gravitate towards junk food. As a kid, I rarely had junk food (parents were struggling to buy regular food the the family) and as an adult I have given in to junk food. As I have mentioned many times, I hate cooking.

I think the shelf life is probably the appeal, plus bored children at home to appease. And they're in your pantry right now, and not your stomach, so that's a good start :p

In other news, I saw a plea from a surgeon for gloves. So, based on this morning's press conference, the fed govt isn't actually using the Defense Production powers?
What are we waiting for, exactly?

I am tempted to donate my bio class gloves, but they don't actually belong to me...*

*ETA - at some point, maybe it doesn't matter (if I can work out a way to reimburse the district)

Last edited:
Still can't keep my 88 year old mother and my 89 year old father (who is a cancer survivor) at home..my sister's called me and said my mom went to the base commissary this morning (dad is retired Air Force) but it was too crowded, so they wouldn't let her in...thank goodness.

They have more than enough supplies and everything they need and 5 of my brothers and sisters live streets away from them...yet my Dad is in Costco today of all places.

One of my sister's called him and tried to reason with him, but my dad is like "I survived WW2 and survived Vietnam, none of my kids are going to tell me what to do" ...but its not just him you see...they also take care of my handicapped sister who is in her 60's and has a myraid of health issues, diabetes being one of them.

Sigh...I just dont get it...oh and they do not live in a small town, quite the opposite, they live in an extremely crowded suburb of DC.

I truly think it's denial. I'm having a serious issue with a family member who refuses to social distance, refuses to wash hands immediately upon returning home, etc.

Costco

Beginning March 24 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m., Costco will temporarily implement special operating hours for members who are 60 and older. The pharmacy will also be open during this hour; however the food court will maintain its normal operating schedule. These hours apply to all locations except the Business Centers, which will remain open during regular hours. Find a Costco location near you. https://bit.ly/2UofArz

What a contrast between the Canadian media and the U.S. media, the latter who were relentless about testing for the President, even though there were no symptoms.

You can have the virus and not have symptoms. He was in the company of someone who was confirmed with the virus, and as such is required to test, like the rest of us.

From that article:
"She said there are 162 tests being reviewed daily at the state labs. Iowa Department of Public Health officials say 765 negative tests have been conducted at the State Hygienic Lab. Reynolds emphasized the importance of using current testing for those hospitalized and showing symptoms." Wonder how many tests they had to begin with?
Found test data for some states here:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Live Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

and here:
The COVID Tracking Project
Thanks for the info. from the two sites. I have not seen them before althought I have gone to the live update site before.
IMO-Iowa may of had up to 2000 tests available. IMO-not enough according to Iowans. ETA-oh and in the earlier post I said that Ia. had 3 million people. That was total population, not how many I think have the virus.

Last edited:
You can have the virus and not have symptoms. He was in the company of someone who was confirmed with the virus, and as such is required to test, like the rest of us.

Canadian health officials have repeatedly said that the tests are only effective after there are symptoms. Prime Minister Trudeau does not have any symptoms, so his test will come back negative - according to the Canadian health minister.

You're not alone.

My ex-boss that I've known for over 25 years is in his 80's. He texted me a list of all of the things he's survived in his life including being shot in the eye, cancer and breaking a hip. He said a virus wasn't going to be able to bring him down and actually said "bring it on".

SMH.

I wrote a very long text back explaining why the virus was dangerous especially for him. I'm sure it went in one ear and out the other. But, I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214