Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a huge issue, but there is no way to address it.
We know quarantine is for anyone exposed & isolation is for anyone that has or suspect they have the virus.
If a sick person calls the hotline, after giving their personal info & symptoms, many are told they must self quarantine.
I suggest most do not. Obviously they can’t be policed. So, how will it ever be contained? Moo

I think it's time for the US Government to fake some sort of alien invasion. That might keep most in their homes, but there will always be a percentage that want to meet the aliens and "go home" with them. I'm only partly kidding. IMO

@mickey2942 across the nation some things close, some thing don’t. Unless every biz is forced to shutter, idk if there is a benefit. In my town an 8k employee factory remained open (now closed for 2 weeks) but hair salons had to close. No hair salon has 8k 5-6 Xs weekly. we have a Kohl’s, most days I would drive past, rarely would I see more than 20 cars in the lot, unless near Xmas. Perhaps auto plants needed to shutter first. Moo
I think (hope) they are now making ventilators...

@Trudie

Cuomo wants to test for antibodies. To see who, if anyone, has already had the virus.

Asking FDA to test seriologically. .
I wonder how many would participate. And where would they go, lol. I’m listening to him, hoping my Gov’ is as well. I find Gov B’s delivery so wrong, and can’t help but feel many are not getting the point. Jmo of course

Last edited:
@mickey2942 across the nation some things close, some thing don’t. Unless every biz is forced to shutter, idk if there is a benefit. In my town an 8k employee factory remained open (now closed for 2 weeks) but hair salons had to close. No hair salon has 8k 5-6 Xs weekly. we have a Kohl’s, most days I would drive past, rarely would I see more than 20 cars in the lot, unless near Xmas. Perhaps auto plants needed to shutter first. Moo

Hair and nail salons cannot do business while keeping six feet between people. Some factories and offices can. That is a key difference. Also the importance of whatever the factory is making needs to be considered.

The Bailey's commercial that is running constantly on Food Network is offering suggestions for use the cream liquor for other purposes than drinking: Bailey's French Toast and Bailey's on waffles with fresh fruit :D
I’m wondering why the liquor stores are open. If many are suffering from loss of finances, maybe they should by staples?

NY

Gov Cuomo:

I was in NYC yesterday
Density level in NYC that was wholly Inappropriate in certain areas (esp Parks)
Insensitive, arrogant, self-destructive, disrespectful to others And
It has to stop now!

NYC has to develop an immediate plan NOW to stop it
And I want the plan in 24 hrs!

I’m wondering why the liquor stores are open. If many are suffering from loss of finances, maybe they should by staples?
There are European sorts who actually use liquor medicinally (tummy discomfort). Source: marriage.
And there are people who enjoy occasional alcohol to no detriment. And there are people who will be hell to live with when they don't have alcohol, and plenty who will be hell to live with when they do have it.

Factories pivot to fight coronavirus, but challenges abound
DETROIT — Factories that crank out cars and trucks looking into making much-needed ventilators. Distilleries intended for whiskey and rum to instead turn out hand sanitizers and disinfectants. And an electronics maker that builds display screens repurposed for surgical masks.

All are answering the call of duty amid a pandemic that has so far claimed more than 11,000 lives and sickened 260,000 people globally.

But redirecting plants to make completely different products will take a long time and a huge effort — possibly too long for some companies to help with medical gear shortages that are becoming more acute every day.

more at link

Hair and nail salons cannot do business while keeping six feet between people. Some factories and offices can. That is a key difference. Also the importance of whatever the factory is making needs to be considered.

I understand. But just as an example, I’ve been in the Toyota plant hundreds of Xs due to my former DH biz.
The cafeteria is a complete zoo as soon as the lunch whistle sounds, no way there is any space there, or walking in/out at shift change. Then 8k X 2 X 2.........
I heard our local news anchor say the station received a lot of calls from the line workers. Well see in two weeks, I hope anyone wanting to stay home can. I don’t have any stats but do know a lot of the management fly between Japan & KY frequently, and high up execs from Japan visit KY often. Moo

I understand. But just as an example, I’ve been in the Toyota plant hundreds of Xs due to my former DH biz.
The cafeteria is a complete zoo as soon as the lunch whistle sounds, no way there is any space there, or walking in/out at shift change. Then 8k X 2 X 2.........
I heard our local news anchor say the station received a lot of calls from the line workers. Well see in two weeks, I hope anyone wanting to stay home can. I don’t have any stats but do know a lot of the management fly between Japan & KY frequently, and high up execs from Japan visit KY often. Moo
Understood. Hopefully those cafeteria situations can be rectified (maybe staggered lunch times for now?) and that the execs likewise stop flying. Even better if they did all that AND reconfigured to make ventilators!

Coronavirus: 'Life should not feel normal'

Coronavirus: 'Life should not feel normal'

The first minister has warned that stringent new measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus should not be considered "optional".

Nicola Sturgeon said guidance about social distancing and self-isolation should be regarded as a "set of rules".

It comes as she confirmed the number of coronavirus deaths in Scotland had reached 10, with 416 known cases.

Ms Sturgeon said: "life should not feel normal", and if it did, you should ask "if you are doing the right things".

Speaking at a press briefing in St Andrews House in Edinburgh, Ms Sturgeon said: "Let me be clear, the advice should not be considered optional, it should be seen instead as a set of rules to be followed."

Her comments come amid reports of some pubs remaining open despite government measures announced on Friday that all pubs, clubs, restaurants and cafes were to close to prevent further spread of Covid-19.

Hope you are all coping ok.

Happy Mother’s Day to all Mums and Grandmothers today. I know it is very difficult for many of us not being able to see them due to the coronavirus.

Off Topic- My Mum’s surgery went well yesterday thank goodness. Thank you very much to all of you for your kindness, thoughts, prayers and messages. They are all much appreciated.

I'm glad your Mother's surgery went well.

Internal memos by chief surgeon at New York-Presbyterian Hospital revealed new details about the coming threat

Internal memos by the chief surgeon at New York-Presbyterian Hospital were intended to rally the giant medical center’s doctors and nurses as they prepared to confront a surge in patients with novel coronavirus, but they also revealed new estimates about the coming threat that had not previously been public.

Medical experts in New York do not expect the number of cases to peak for another 22 to 32 days, the memo written by Dr. Craig Smith says, and the supplies of masks, equipment and available beds is well short of the impending need. He estimated the crush of patients will require from 700 to 934 intensive-care beds.

The hospital "normally uses 4,000 non-N-95 masks a day. Currently [they are] consuming 40,000 such masks per day, which is estimated to reach 70,000 per day," Smith writes.

Internal memos by chief surgeon at New York-Presbyterian Hospital revealed new details about the coming threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steck1