Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so torn on this. I scheduled for cleaning people to come tomorrow as usual and now I don't know whether to just pay them and not have them clean. I have gloves for them in case they don't have them. I suppose that I could wipe down the faucets, door knobs etc.. after they leave. I am so spoiled and have never been much of a housekeeper. What to do, What to do, What to do...

My cleaning service (Merry Maids) called a couple of days ago to say that they were still working and would be at my home on Wednesday morning, as usual (every other week). Now that DH is working from home, I was concerned about the disruption and told him that I would cancel if he didn't want them here. DH said that he would work around them and that he wanted them to come. They wear gloves all the time, but I have masks here if they don't bring them. The company provided a letter to clients indicating that employees were not to come to work if they showed any symptoms of illness and, likewise, they do not want to enter homes if people are sick. This has always been their policy, even when we weren't contending with COVID-19. I've used MM for at least 10 years and know that the local franchise will not survive if clients cancel services.

so my dad was taken by ambulance to the hospital again
he's had ongoing problems since last fall when he had a heart attack
one of his symptoms is its hard to catch his breath so of course I'm imagining the worst
the hospital said no one is allowed to visit him & they announced 6 new cases in my city yesterday - community spread is likely
he turns 90 this summer
~sigh~
is this the right thread for personal anecdotes? sorry if o/t
This hurts my heart. If he is able to speak or hear, a nurse might be willing to do a short video chat late at night... she may also be so busy it isn't possible.
It never hurts to ask.
Sending prayers foe6your dad and comfort for you!!
Moo

Coronavirus: Merkel goes into quarantine as Germany bans gatherings of more than two people

GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA Merkel is in quarantine after meeting a doctor who tested positive for the novel coronavirus, as Germany further tightens rules on public gatherings.

News of Merkel’s potential exposure to the virus came minutes after she announced a ban on public gatherings of more than two people and further infection control measures.

“The Chancellor has decided to quarantine herself immediately at home. She will be tested regularly in the coming days… (and) fulfil her official business from home,” spokesman Steffen Seibert said in a statement.

Merkel had been slated to lead a cabinet meeting tomorrow to sign off on a €822 billion slew of measures to support Europe’s top economy through the shutdowns of public life designed to slow the infection’s spread.

The infected doctor visited Merkel on Friday to vaccinate her against the pneumococcus bacteria.

It could take some days to determine whether the 65-year-old chancellor is herself infected as “a test would not yet be fully conclusive,” Seibert said.

Merkel showed no apparent symptoms of ill health in Sunday’s televised press conference.

so my dad was taken by ambulance to the hospital again
he's had ongoing problems since last fall when he had a heart attack
one of his symptoms is its hard to catch his breath so of course I'm imagining the worst
the hospital said no one is allowed to visit him & they announced 6 new cases in my city yesterday - community spread is likely
he turns 90 this summer
~sigh~
is this the right thread for personal anecdotes? sorry if o/t

We will be praying for your Dad. I’m very sorry he is unwell and that you can’t visit him. You both must be under tremendous stress. I hope and pray he doesn’t have the virus. Please let us know how he is doing @LadyL

'We have to take the fight to the virus': WHO's Michael Ryan says lockdowns are not enough

THE WORLD HEALTH Organisation’s Michael Ryan has said that authorities need to do more that just lockdown cities to battle Covid-19 and must “take the fight to the virus”.

Ryan, the WHO’s health emergencies director, said in an interview with the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show that, following on from lockdowns, authorities must “actively look” for people who are infected.

“The issue with testing is we need to find suspect cases, we need to find the people who have the virus, and we need to isolate those patients as quickly as possible,” he said.

“The physical distancing measures that are in place, the lockdowns, separate everybody from everybody else. But what we really need to focus on is finding those who are sick, those who have the virus and isolate them, find their contacts and isolate them.”

Ryan went on to say that part of the risk for authorities is in putting too much emphasis on lockdowns without a plan in place for what’s required when restrictions are lifted.

Across the globe an estimated 900 million people are confined to their homes, with the majority hemmed in by obligatory government lockdown orders.

Others are under curfew or in quarantine or following advice not to leave their homes.

Our personal decision is to continue to pay our house cleaner. No more house cleaning, but we are going to continue to pay for her service for the next two months.

We paid ours in advance for two months. Same with our yard guy, who said he'll come mow like normal without knocking on the door (though the doggies will still tell us he's there!) for as long as he's allowed to.

US state of Louisiana enters lockdown

As U.S. cases of coronavirus spiked on Sunday, Ohio and Louisiana became the latest states to announce broad lockdowns to slow the spread of the pandemic with nearly one in three Americans under orders to stay at home.

The two states join New York, California, Illinois, Connecticut and New Jersey, home to 100 million Americans combined, as cases nationwide top 33,000 with at least 400 dead, according to a Reuters tally.

“Every piece of evidence that I can lay my hands on indicates that we’re at an absolutely crucial time in this war and what we do now will make all the difference in the world,” said Ohio Governor Mike DeWine.

Coronavirus pandemic - all you need to know as Brits refuse to social distance

#StayHomeSaveLives

Coronavirus: 18-year-old 'youngest' to die in UK as fatalities rise by 48 to 281

The number of people who have died in the UK after testing positive for coronavirus has risen by 48 in a day to 281.

COVID-19 infections in the UK have increased by 635 to 5,683, the Department of Health said.

In England, 37 more people who tested positive for COVID-19 have died, bringing the total number of confirmed deaths there to 257.

The patients were aged between 18 and 102 years old and all were in vulnerable groups, including with underlying health conditions.

There have been seven fatalities in Wales over the last 24 hours, taking its total to 12 and a further three in Scotland, where the number of deaths overall now stands at 10.

“A local doctor's call-to-action has gone viral after a moving speech following Gov. J.B. Pritzker's announcement Friday of a stay-at-home ordinance amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Dr. Emily Landon is the chief infectious disease epidemiologist at the University of Chicago Medicine, who moments after Pritzker issued the ordinance to take effect Saturday evening, took to the stand with a 7-minute-long speech that went viral after striking a chord for many individuals.”

*speech at link
Chicago Doctor’s Blunt Speech About COVID-19 Hits Home Across the Country; Read Her Full Speech
Gov. Pritzker's rapid action is because too many ignored the Mayor of Chicago's plea to limit celebrating St. Patrick's Day celebrations in bars, which were packed.
Yes, he had a Great idea. I tried to find one interview in particular, I recently viewed of Gov. Newsom that was impressive to me, I went through my history and I can't find it. I thought maybe I saw him on the Dr. Oz TV show, but there are no recent interviews with Newsom on the doctor's website.

I found this interview, people giving him credit for his leadership. "Getting the stragglers, the folks still in the bubble," to understand the virus, social distancing, that they can infect the older generation. Newsom enforced what everyone wanted to happen, telling everyone to, "Stay Home!"

Newsom was trying to make the young people, they are the bubble who don't understand that they are a huge problem.

They don't know if they are sick, their symptoms are trivial and they are out there being vectors for infections and we are realizing more and more that people who are asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic are a real issue.

Dr. Oz

"It's the duration of quarantine probably not 14 days should be three weeks," if we are going to do it right. Because in China they found people were shedding virus for weeks after they were ill.

Then Dr. Oz continues to talk about the paper released in France regarding the two old drugs, Z-Pack and a Malaria drug that demonstrated it will suffocate and reduce the viral load in 3 days and all the virus in gone in 6 days ...

"Mar. 20, 2020 - 9:23 - Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Manny Alvarez weigh in on California Governor Newsom issuing a statewide ‘stay at home’ order on ‘America’s Newsroom."

Drs. Oz, Alvarez say California’s ‘stay at home’ order is necessary in other states

Considering one of the first passengers to arrive in Omaha from the Princess cruise tested positive for more than 30 days, I think the quarantine should last for at least three weeks, if not longer. There are too many asymptomatic people walking around. The President should halt all airline travel because the majority of cases have been tied to travelers and those close to them.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members