Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Covid-19 Deaths in Germany Far Below Rates in Other Countries

“BERLIN—Germany, which has the world’s fifth-highest number of Covid-19 cases, has so far experienced far fewer deaths from the disease than other countries—mainly, experts say, because the outbreak started among younger people who tend to experience milder symptoms and rarely die.

Epidemiologists cautioned that the virus was likely to spread more widely among older people in the weeks ahead and that the mortality rate would likely rise, especially if hospital intensive-care units are overwhelmed.

By Sunday, Germany had 23,921 confirmed cases and 92 deaths from the new pathogen, according to figures collected by Johns Hopkins University, putting the mortality rate from Covid-19 at nearly 0.4%, well below estimates elsewhere.“

These are two guys we all need to be following, You can Google their bios...

These two will have the most truthful numbers projected and neither will be silenced ... Really surprised the media hasn't interviewed them.

Nicholas G. Reich (@reichlab) | Twitter

You can see what the experts are projecting at the link. I was not ready for those kind of numbers.

Infectious Disease Experts Don’t Know How Bad The Coronavirus Is Going To Get, Either

Collecting responses in this form captures both the best-guess estimate from each respondent and the uncertainty surrounding it. It also lets the people in charge of the survey — Thomas McAndrew and Nicholas Reich, both biostatisticians at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst — convert the responses to a probabilistic consensus forecast, something that can answer questions like, “According to these researchers, what is the probability that we will have 50,000 reported cases by March 29?”

Last edited:

“BERLIN—Germany, which has the world’s fifth-highest number of Covid-19 cases, has so far experienced far fewer deaths from the disease than other countries—mainly, experts say, because the outbreak started among younger people who tend to experience milder symptoms and rarely die.

Makes sense. I know of 5 positive cases from friends and co-workers and all are relatively young and caught it while skiing in Austria.

Epidemiologists cautioned that the virus was likely to spread more widely among older people in the weeks ahead and that the mortality rate would likely rise, especially if hospital intensive-care units are overwhelmed.

By Sunday, Germany had 23,921 confirmed cases and 92 deaths from the new pathogen, according to figures collected by Johns Hopkins University, putting the mortality rate from Covid-19 at nearly 0.4%, well below estimates elsewhere.“

I thought I'd read that Germany were reporting deaths slightly differently. When someone dies of it in most countries it is chalked up as a Coronavirus death. Germany (apparently) reports the cause of death as the 'underlying condition' and so their figures are lower. I'll try to find MSM for this.

US state of Louisiana enters lockdown

As U.S. cases of coronavirus spiked on Sunday, Ohio and Louisiana became the latest states to announce broad lockdowns to slow the spread of the pandemic with nearly one in three Americans under orders to stay at home.

The two states join New York, California, Illinois, Connecticut and New Jersey, home to 100 million Americans combined, as cases nationwide top 33,000 with at least 400 dead, according to a Reuters tally.

“Every piece of evidence that I can lay my hands on indicates that we’re at an absolutely crucial time in this war and what we do now will make all the difference in the world,” said Ohio Governor Mike DeWine.

Coronavirus pandemic - all you need to know as Brits refuse to social distance

#StayHomeSaveLives

Good for LA. I've been worried about them and wondering if anyone here is from LA - it has had the greatest increase in CoVid patients of all 50 states for the last 48 hours.

I thought I'd read that Germany were reporting deaths slightly differently. When someone dies of it in most countries it is chalked up as a Coronavirus death. Germany (apparently) reports the cause of death as the 'underlying condition' and so their figures are lower. I'll try to find MSM for this.
Kind of like listing cause of death as cardiovascular disease if someone dies from cyanide poisoning.

One-in-THREE positive coronavirus tests are from 'silent carriers' who show NO symptoms, classified Chinese government data suggests

The number of people infected with coronavirus who show no or delayed symptoms could be as high as one-third of those who test positive for the disease.

According to classified Chinese government data seen by the South China Morning Post, the true scale and of the hidden number of these 'silent carriers' could be higher than first thought.

This discovery has huge ramifications for the strategies being used by countries to contain the virus.

One-in-THREE positive coronavirus tests are from 'silent carriers' who show NO symptoms | Daily Mail Online

#StayHomeSaveLives

Has already been debunked. I doubt any country test every old person who died of pneumonia for Corona, I know Italy doesn't, only those that were diagnosed before in hospital.

The death-rates will show how many died of Corona if you compare them with normal flu-season death- and pneumonia-rates according to the experts from the German Robert-Koch-institute, that's how they usually arrive at numbers for deaths caused by the flu.

Another reason is multi-generation household that are common in Italy but not so common in Germany. I also don't think that the rates outside of Lombardy in Italy are so different to Germany.

Also, hospitals are not fuller than usual, if they would just classify the cases differently, the ICUs would still be full but they are empty enough to take Corona patients from France.

Last edited:
Exactly! Obviously, some folks are prioritized for testing. Prestige, position, means, etc. should not determine who is tested. Dr. Fauci has indicated several times that not everyone needs to be tested and that only those with specific symptoms should be tested.
But VP Pence is the head of our National Task Force. It is not prestige, but RESPONSIBILITIES that he currently has for our safety and our very future, that requires he be monitored and tested, in my opinion.

It is like he is the Captain of the Ship, or the airplane's pilot. We need him to fulfil those responsibilities.

I bet Dr Fauci recommended the testing be done. JMO

Coronavirus updates: Prisons threatened, 2nd death at Sacramento church, new California cases

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article241410381.html#storylink=cpy

“As the coronavirus continues to spread across an increasingly isolated California, the virus threatens to infect the one place where people cannot help but remain in close proximity with one another – prison.

Two more prison workers at the California Institution for Men in Chino have tested positive for COVID-19.

Previously, an employee at California State Prison, Sacramento tested positive, while another worker at San Quentin State Prison suspected of infection tested negative.”

[...]

“The news comes on the heels of California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s Saturday afternoon statement regarding the state’s scarcity of medical supplies in the face of the pandemic.

At least 1,224 Californians have tested positive for coronavirus with at least 23 deaths, according to the California Department of Public Health.

As of just after noon Sunday, more than 329,000 people have been confirmed infected, as the global death count is more than 14,300, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. More than 95,600 have recovered.”

Sounds hopeful IMO.
Fauci cites Trump travel restrictions as possible key for U.S. not 'becoming another Italy'
When asked on CBS’ “Face the Nation” if the situation in the U.S. will eventually decline to the extent it has in Italy, Fauci said “not necessarily at all,” noting that while it is unclear exactly why the situation in Italy has remained so dire, it is possible that by blocking travel from China earlier this year, President Trump may have prevented a larger spread of the virus.

“Early on they did not shut out as well the input of infections that originated in China and came to different parts of the world. One of the things that we did very early and very aggressively, the president put the travel restriction coming from China to the United States and most recently from Europe to the United States because Europe is really the new China. Again I don’t know why this is happening there to such an extent, but it is conceivable that once you get so many of these spreads out they spread exponentially and you can never keep up with the tsunami.”

Snip

Fauci also pointed to Americans’ social distancing efforts as key to preventing the U.S. from suffering as much as Italy has been.

“The kinds of mitigation issues that are going on right now, the things that we’re seeing in this country, this physical separation at the same time as we’re preventing an influx of cases coming in, I think that’s going to go a long way to preventing us from becoming another Italy.”

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article241411351.html

“A second member of the Faith Presbyterian Church in Sacramento has died from coronavirus, church officials confirmed Sunday.”

[...]

“Sperling’s death comes six days after another church member, a longtime kindergarten teacher and children’s choir instructor at the church, also died from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

Church officials have said five members of the Greenhaven church have tested positive for the disease and that others, including Chapman, were being tested.”

McDonald’s has said it is closing all its UK and Ireland restaurants from Monday night. In a statement, its UK CEO, Paul Pomroy, said: “I am incredibly grateful to our brilliant employees who have been working hard to continue to serve you safely in difficult circumstances.

“Over the last 24 hours, it has become clear that maintaining safe social distancing whilst operating busy takeaway and Drive Thru restaurants is increasingly difficult and therefore we have taken the decision to close every restaurant in the UK and Ireland by 7pm on Monday 23 March.

Coronavirus live news: Angela Merkel in quarantine; Spain set to extend state of emergency

It is absolutely incredible what is happening. Everything is closing which is understandable but it’s hard to believe.

#StayHomeSaveLives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member