Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Italy, Pandemic’s New Epicenter, Has Lessons for the World
Updated March 22, 2020

“ROME — As Italy’s coronavirus infections ticked above 400 cases and deaths hit the double digits, the leader of the governing Democratic Party posted a picture of himself clinking glasses for “an aperitivo in Milan,” urging people “not to change our habits.”

That was on Feb. 27. Not 10 days later, as the toll hit 5,883 infections and 233 dead, the party boss, Nicola Zingaretti, posted a new video, this time informing Italy that he, too, had the virus.

Italy now has more than 53,000 recorded infections and more than 4,800 dead, and the rate of increase keeps growing, with more than half the cases and fatalities coming in the past week. On Saturday, officials reported 793 additional deaths, by far the largest single-day increase so far. Italy has surpassed China as the country with the highest death toll, becoming the epicenter of a shifting pandemic.

The government has sent in the army to enforce the lockdown in Lombardy, the northern region at the center of the outbreak, where bodies have piled up in churches. On Friday night, the authorities tightened the nationwide lockdown, closing parks, banning outdoor activities including walking or jogging far from home.”

[...]

“On Saturday night, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced another drastic step in response to what he called the country’s most difficult crisis since the Second World War: Italy will close its factories and all production that is not absolutely essential, an enormous economic sacrifice intended to contain the virus and protect lives.”

[...]

“But the tragedy of Italy now stands as a warning to its European neighbors and the United States, where the virus is coming with equal velocity. If Italy’s experience shows anything, it is that measures to isolate affected areas and limit the movement of the broader population need to be taken early, put in place with absolute clarity, then strictly enforced.

Despite now having some of the toughest measures in the world, Italian authorities fumbled many of those steps early in the contagion — when it most mattered as they sought to preserve basic civil liberties as well as the economy.

Italy’s piecemeal attempts to cut it off — isolating towns first, then regions, then shutting down the country in an intentionally porous lockdown — always lagged behind the virus’s lethal trajectory.

“Now we are running after it,” said Sandra Zampa, the under secretary at the Ministry of Health, who said Italy did the best it could given the information it had. “We closed gradually, as Europe is doing. France, Spain, Germany, the U.S. are doing the same. Every day you close a bit, you give up on a bit of normal life. Because the virus does not allow normal life.”“

[...]

Most importantly, Italy looked at the example of China, Ms. Zampa said, not as a practical warning, but as a “science fiction movie that had nothing to do with us.” And when the virus exploded, Europe, she said, “looked at us the same way we looked at China.”

But already in January, some officials on the right were urging Mr. Conte, their former ally and now political enemy, to quarantine schoolchildren in the northern regions who were returning from holidays in China, a measure aimed at protecting schools. Many of those children were from Chinese immigrant families.

Many liberals criticized the proposal as populist fear-mongering. Mr. Conte declined the proposal and responded that the northern governors should trust the judgment of education and health authorities who, he said, had proposed no such thing.”

-more at link

IMO, As hard as it is for me (maybe us) to believe, we already have seen what lies in our future. A few lines from the above article really resonated with me:

"Most importantly, Italy looked at the example of China, Ms. Zampa said, not as a practical warning, but as a “science fiction movie that had nothing to do with us.” And when the virus exploded, Europe, she said, “looked at us the same way we looked at China.”

Sadly, I fear we are not "exceptional" when it comes to fighting against an invisible, microscopic terror virus.
Homeland Security, the TSA, the CDC, the President, the Governor, and the Pastor cannot prevent what is about to happen. Only WE can mitigate the damages by acting AS IF the other frightened humans in close proximity are capable of killing us and everyone we love. So, stay away from each other! IMO

I have a care provided that goes to the Nursing home for my mother a few days a week for a few hours each visit.. The care provider is no long allowed entry into the Nursing Home. It is kind of expensive but since she has been such a comfort to my mother, I gave her a months pay. This person has been a blessing to my mother. I know that she lives basically pay check to paycheck.

I posted this twice - sorry.
That's ok, Kensie. Just makes us "like" you twice as much....LOL !.....moo

The prime minister [of Canada, Justin Trudeau] told kids that staying home, handwashing and practicing social distancing — which he defined for any youngsters tuning in — are important measures "not just for ourselves, but for our grandparents, our nurses, our doctors and everyone working in hospitals.

"Thank you for helping your parents work from home, for sacrificing your usual day and doing math class around the kitchen table and trusting in science," he said.

More messaging expected for kids
Trudeau also mentioned that kids across the country could expect to hear more from the federal government shortly about the COVID-19 pandemic.

"We're going to have more to say to you soon, so stay tuned. In the meantime. let's make sure we all do our part. Let's fight this together."

Last week, Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg held a news conference for children, answering written questions from concerned and curious kids across the country.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has also held a kids-only conference to calm fears and explain the science behind the virus and how to stop its spread.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ju...s-to-follow-social-distancing-rules-1.5506113
I like these people! We could take a page out of their book.

BBC:
Italy's worst-hit region introduces stricter measures

_111384233_060750169-1.jpg

“The Italian region of Lombardy has introduced stricter measures in a bid to tackle the spread of coronavirus.
Under the new rules announced late on Saturday, sport and physical activity outside, even individually, is banned. Using vending machines is forbidden.
The move comes as Italy reported nearly 800 coronavirus deaths on Saturday and saw its toll for the past month reach 4,825, the highest in the world.“

[...]

“During a television address to the nation, he said: "We will slow down the country's productive engine, but we will not stop it."
Mr Conte described the situation as "the most difficult crisis in our post-war period".”

[...]

“Spain's health ministry has reported a 32% spike in new deaths from Covid-19 with 1,326 confirmed deaths, the second highest in Europe after Italy.
In a news conference on Saturday night, Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez warned "the worst is yet to come" and that "very difficult days lay ahead".
The government has issued a lockdown for some 46 million people who are only allowed to leave their homes for essential work, food shopping, medical reasons or to walk the dog.“

[...]

“Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned the UK's National Health Service could be "overwhelmed" if people do not act to slow the "accelerating" spread of coronavirus. He called on people to join a "heroic and collective national effort" and follow social distancing advice.
Scotland's Rural Economy and Tourism Secretary Fergus Ewing has called on people not to travel to the Scottish Highlands after reports of people in campervans trying to find solace from outbreaks elsewhere across the UK.
France's Health Minister Olivier Véran hit out at those who flout directives on social distancing, describing them as "dangerous" and "irresponsible". More than 12,500 people have caught coronavirus in France with the death toll recorded as 562 on Saturday.“

Good for LA. I've been worried about them and wondering if anyone here is from LA - it has had the greatest increase in CoVid patients of all 50 states for the last 48 hours.
I am. My parish has no cases yet. I’m staying in, only going to drugstore for a box of nitrile gloves. They got only 4 in their Friday shipment (CVS) I took only one for the young woman who helps with moping & sweeping. She double-gloves, is a paranoid hypochondriac, & is balking at using the steam mop.
DH is a locum physician currently working in CA. My son lives in VA & works for a defense contractor (he’s ex-Navy) but has underlying conditions.
I hardly sleep, food tastes like styrofoam. However it’s happy hour in Barcelona.

I actually have N95 masks (bought them in december) but I can't get them to fit at all, my glasses keep fogging up and I'm blind without those.
All of us in the Health Care Field have fit tests. Mask is not the right fit for you if it's fogging up your glasses. They are not a one size fits all. My mask has changed each time the last several years.

(Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the first rapid coronavirus diagnostic test, with a detection time of about 45 minutes, as the United States struggles to meet the demand for coronavirus testing.

The test's developer, California-based molecular diagnostics company Cepheid, said on Saturday it had received an emergency use authorization from the FDA for the test, which will be used primarily in hospitals and emergency rooms. The company plans to begin shipping it to hospitals next week, it said.

The FDA confirmed its approval in a separate statement. It said the company intends to roll out the availability of its testing by March 30.

U.S. FDA approves first rapid coronavirus test with 45 minutes detection time

so it looks like our state victoria got walked back on a full shutdown by our prime minister

school will close tuesday for early easter break and then entertainment venues and pub's and restaurants will close or only offer take away

not as bad as a full shut down but i expect we are only buying time until that happens probably in a week or so if infection rates dont slow

Good for LA. I've been worried about them and wondering if anyone here is from LA - it has had the greatest increase in CoVid patients of all 50 states for the last 48 hours.
I’m from Louisiana. I think our increase follows the fact that we are finally testing. Also Mardi Gras was just a few weeks ago. I believe that helped it spread. The Mardi Gras ‘hub’ is New Orleans, however, cities and communities all over the state have parades, balls and parties. I imagine many were exposed during that time. My ex SIL is telling me I’m taking this too seriously and following a liberal agenda of pandemic. (He has the nerve to tell me this as he drops off his son for me to keep. I told him I’m not returning him for two weeks). Grandson’s father works in a prison and grandson’s mom works in ER. We are keeping grandson for now to keep him not exposed. The ex SIL is not alone in his thoughts thus making things worse.

There are some fascinating documentaries on youtube.

I just watched one done by Penn Museum on the 1918 Spanish flu. google Spanish flu Philadelphia and look for it. It is an hour long.

We were never taught about 1918 in school, and they just about said so in the presentation. Pandemics were kept secret. This is a topic that should not have been passed over or kept secret. No wonder many of us don't even know what is going on, except for crisis learning in the last week. I encourage you to watch these old flicks.

Many people know of the 1918 Pandemic as the "Spanish" Flu. I used to think it began in Spain. Turns out it likely began in the U.S. Because a war was going on, no one wanted to mention the pandemic and the loss of life. Those effected didn't want to appear weak or vulnerable. Spain was basically "neutral" in WWI, so they were the first to sound the alarm. IMO

1. Perhaps there was a delay in taking the temperature of the press people.

2. More likely there could still be last minute discussions concerning the financial package for citizens.

3. I have no idea, really.

White House moves to protect Trump, staff from coronavirus

"Journalists and staff entering the White House complex Monday received a welcome designed for the age of the coronavirus: a thermometer placed near the forehead to check their temperatures."

"The temperature readings are among new measures the White House has put in place to protect President Donald Trump and his staff during the outbreak."

Last edited:
Many people know of the 1918 Pandemic as the "Spanish" Flu. I used to think it began in Spain. Turns out it likely began in the U.S. Because a war was going on, no one wanted to mention the pandemic and the loss of life. Those effected didn't want to appear weak or vulnerable. Spain was basically "neutral" in WWI, so they were the first to sound the alarm. IMO
Kansas, most likely...
How the Horrific 1918 Flu Spread Across America | History | Smithsonian Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm