Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A cruise ship is trying to get passengers to port. 42 people onboard are sick. — The Washington Post

“Zaandam, which left Buenos Aires on March 7, was originally scheduled to end the voyage on March 21 in San Antonio, Chile. But after the shutdown was announced, the ship had hoped to allow passengers to disembark on March 16 in Punta Arenas, Chile. Officials would not let anyone off the vessel, and the line said in recent days that it intends to send the ship to Fort Lauderdale.”

Oh no! No more cruise ships!

Not very happy with AZ right now. No matter what happens that is adverse to AZ isn't updated much. Justin Lum out of Phoenix is good but not here in my big town. Even the AZ Public Health Department didn't have but 2 updates on Twitter. The Public Health Dept. had two tweets today. Nothing about how many cases etc...Facebook wasn't that much better. The combined tests on the AZ Public Health of AZ has 403 or 408 tests have been completed in AZ. There's 7.12 million living in this state! smh Oh we're hiring too. gah! Amazon, Walgreens etc...

Then to top it off. I have family in central FL. No tests unless a primary care doctor gives a referral like here, commercial testing. Test made available to the wealthiest of towns. Oh and if you have a golf cart, please drive it. Going on this week! Test surrounding towns who have people with symptoms too!

rant over.

Update from FL, the testing is now for everyone! tg

As far as science goes, I get it. But is it especially useful or a good use of resources to get that hindsight now? Genuinely wondering.
Isn't that to see if they have the antibodies? Research is definitively needed on this to see if we truly can create a herd immunity to this. This virus is zoonotic, so none of us antibodies for us in our blood. It is important to know if people can encounter the virus and resolve it. The antibodies for it will show up in their blood. Next, is hopefully once we encounter and resolve it is that we will hopefully be immune to it.

Yeah, and schools /universities don't just close up on a whim, either. This is the real deal.

And that is exactly who I speak of, the universities. They don't close places like Harvard and Penn if we get 30-40 inches of snow, but now they are all shut indefinitely. Just doesn't happen, you have student from overseas, housing issues, etc. Their behavior tells us all we need to know.

I think he's just being optimistic. Genie is already out of the bottle here. It's already in all 50 states. Travel didn't play a huge role in Italy's situation either - it only took a few cases initially.

It's true we're reacting fairly quickly with our travel bans but it's the lockdowns and social distancing that are most important at this point. It's already here, we don't need to import it any more.

Look at just Louisiana. I bet people are still going to New Orleans for vacations.

Well, @drama_farmer said it better. Just above.
But wasn't that Chinese Travel Ban put into place at very end of January?

I would think that prevented a lot of potential infections, back at that time. JMO

Yup. The difficulties that the truckers are experiencing is all over SM. We need to think about them. They are crucial to our survival.

fortunately most truck plazas offer food, some with fast food restaurants. Idk how often truckers pull off to eat, I think they kill two birds with one stone. Fuel & eat, then snooze. Moo

It's sad because the only reason they don't want to test is due to limited tests. Where are the tests?
I don't think it is only about a lack of tests. I think they dont want people to come and seek testing because it is a danger to our healthcare workers, to see dozens and dozens of walk-ins with symptoms.

The key thing is, if you are not feeling well, stay home and take care of yourself. If things go downhill, THEN go seek treatment.

But if we have everyone with a fever flooding our clinics, we won't have any nurses or doctors available to help the critical patients soon.

More than likely they paid a lot of funds for the cruise and did not have travel insurance and thought , Hell , I am taking the chance. They may be like me and never read the news only until very recently.

fortunately most truck plazas offer food, some with fast food restaurants. Idk how often truckers pull off to eat, I think they kill two birds with one stone. Fuel & eat, then snooze. Moo
That’s great when there is one, but there are long stretches with nothing but fast food. There were always semis parked in the adjacent lot when I fed ferals by a McDonald’s. They absolutely do stop there. And now they can’t actually sit down in the restaurants that are within some of these truck stops. The road just got a little more cruel for them. I appreciate those who are making efforts to make it easier for them.

I don't think it is only about a lack of tests. I think they dont want people to come and seek testing because it is a danger to our healthcare workers, to see dozens and dozens of walk-ins with symptoms.

The key thing is, if you are not feeling well, stay home and take care of yourself. If things go downhill, THEN go seek treatment.

But if we have everyone with a fever flooding our clinics, we won't have any nurses or doctors available to help the critical patients soon.

Also, from my understanding the health care workers have to change their PPE, which is very limited, every time they conduct a test. It is a multi faceted problem at this point. MOO

yes and that's happening where I am
two different hospitals in two different towns have multiple health care workers infected

Yes, I thought I read it was due to this in conjunction with the severe current shortage of masks and other personal safety equipment - they do not want to waste what little they have on testing they don’t deem critical. I think if we had all the equipment we needed and if the drive through set ups were working (many closing or have issues), they would encourage testing. IMO.

It is sad to me that intelligence showed a couple months ago that we were going to have spread here, and we weren’t more proactive. :( I am so worried about healthcare workers like my niece who is a nurse and gets one mask for a ten hour shift here in Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia