Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be a lot of people with heightened mental health crises as a result of this virus; anxiety, stress, fear, depression and loneliness can all be killers. Suicide numbers will rise due to those things, and also the prospect or reality of losing loved ones, jobs, businesses and homes.
So true. I can hear how stressed my son is now, with a child and a mortgage, and his wife being laid off, and financial stress, as he worries about his own job. And he is worried about us. He got so mad at me when he heard that hubby and I went to Walmart 2 weeks ago. I have never ever been scolded by my son before. lol...

He has a lot of family support and has good coping skills, but I can still hear the fear and tension in his voice. I am sure many millions are feeling the same way.

Well, Rand Paul is one of them-he is supposedly asymptomatic. This is such a weird disease. Some people are asymptomatic and some are dying.
How bizarre he failed to isolate after his test. We expect such behavior, of course, but not from a doctor raised by a surgeon. I can imagine what is being said about him.
Everyone that has been around him must be livid.

Did your SS check stop? I had heard SS would not be affected.

Social Security is not, and has never been, meant to keep you thriving. It is a supplement, meant to keep you from starving without a roof over your head.

We have suffered enormous losses, and people who have depended on our assistance will also suffer.

It sounds like you haven't tried to live on your SS payments.
@Herat what I meant is payments will continue, unlike some earned income. A laid off worker will get UI but it will be less than a regular paycheck. To my knowledge SS payments remain the same. Which is a good thing, there is no loss of income for a person drawing SS or SSI. Moo

Our Michigan Governor announced today that we are on EXTENDED closures until April 13th now.
We are bunkered down, plus it is showing like crazy here so we are OK for now to just stay in and stay safe and healthy !!!

How bizarre he failed to isolate after his test. We expect such behavior, of course, but not from a doctor raised by a surgeon. I can imagine what is being said about him.
Everyone that has been around him must be livid.
Not that I want to defend him, but if he is truly asymptomatic, and he was waiting six days for his test results, do we really expect him to self-isolate for all this time? Assuming, of course, he is completely asymptomatic.

I don't think it is only about a lack of tests. I think they dont want people to come and seek testing because it is a danger to our healthcare workers, to see dozens and dozens of walk-ins with symptoms.

The key thing is, if you are not feeling well, stay home and take care of yourself. If things go downhill, THEN go seek treatment.

But if we have everyone with a fever flooding our clinics, we won't have any nurses or doctors available to help the critical patients soon.

Yes, and as I posted much earlier, my nurse friend told me that they have a shortage of PPEs which get used up for testing. So she said exactly what you did...stay home! If you don’t feel well and things go downhill...then get tested if necessary. That way the PPEs are saved for hospitalized patients.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta, just now on CNN Town hall, said we should all behave as if we have the virus because majority of people in China who got infected got the virus from people who did NOT know they had it. Can't find link right now.

In the US, the retirees drawing SS are safe, imo, and have no losses, that I can think of. They receive a static amount & will continue doing so. Moo.
True, but many of us on soc security and pensions have to supplement that with other small jobs. My husband takes on writing jobs even though he is technically retired. Those jobs are vital to our well being, as they pay for all of the sudden bills that we don't budget for. Like the 400 dollar red light camera ticket and the blown water heater we ended up with last month...
hmh.gif

Will those jobs dry up, now that film and TV production has shut down here in LA?
undecided20.gif

This staying at home business is more expensive than I thought it would be. We have been endlessly ordering online to try and get supplies we take for granted---T Paper, Vit C, flour... We ordered some movies on Demand, which we never do, and bought a lot of bulk supplies at Walmart, which we rarely do.

I do feel a bit anxious about the future...

AUSTRALIA

SYDNEY, March 23 (Reuters) - Australia started shutting down pubs, clubs, gyms and houses of worship on Monday after a jump in coronavirus cases and after thousands disregarded social distancing advice and crowded beaches, bars and restaurants.

Reuters: "There will be no more going to the pub after work, no more going to the gym in the morning, and no more sitting down for brunch at a cafe," Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told parliament on Monday morning.

Reuters: Despite calls to practice social distancing, some Australians ignored the warnings with thousands flocking to Bondi Beach and frequenting restaurants and bars in recent days.

Reuters: Morrison said on Sunday that sweeping new measures were needed to enforce social distancing, ordering non-essential services, including indoor sporting venues, pubs, cinemas, bars and places of worship be closed from midday Monday.

Reuters: On Monday, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said that schools would be closed from Tuesday, and plans were in place for remote learning.
"If people simply behave as normal, if they don't take this seriously, if they act selfishly, then people will die," Andrews said.

Vincent Lee on Twitter

Yes, and as I posted much earlier, my nurse friend told me that they have a shortage of PPEs which get used up for testing. So she said exactly what you did...stay home! If you don’t feel well and things go downhill...then get tested if necessary. That way the PPEs are saved for hospitalized patients.

Yes, that is the message here in NY. The directions are for everyone to stay home anyway now, except for essential workers. If you develop symptoms, you self isolate. If your symptoms worsen, you call your dr and they will refer you to a testing site (if there are tests available). But, basically hospitalized, sick patients are, of course, the priority.

WOW, Italy is so much smaller than China.

Yeah, but if you look at the JH numbers and compare US to Italy - comparing the countries rate of growth since the 100th patient... well, a picture is worth a thousand words as they say...

It's going to be more like the US is Europe, and different states are going to have their own rates. Some scary chit in New York/CA/WA for sure, yet yesterday iirc, Louisiana had the second highest rate per capita.

italy_us_gap_10.jpg

Here's the central FL news that really threw me.

UF Health opening coronavirus test site in The Villages, for Villagers only

Gov. Ron DeSantis talks to the media during press conference on Thursday at the Broward County mobile testing at CB Smith Park in Pembroke Pines. DeSantis has announced that The Villages is launching a test site. [David Santiago/Miami Herald]
DAVID SANTIAGO
By Katie Sartoris
Posted at 3:07 PM

It will open Monday at The Villages Polo Club, though Monday’s test slots are already taken up. New slots will open at 8 a.m. daily for the following day, according to UF Health.

THE VILLAGES — University of Florida Health is opening a drive-thru testing site in The Villages just for Villagers.

It will open Monday at The Villages Polo Club, though Monday’s test slots are already taken up. New slots will open at 8 a.m. daily for the following day, according to UF Health.

Tests are currently only available to residents of The Villages, who are encouraged to use their golf carts when they visit the test site.

UF Health opening coronavirus test site in The Villages, for Villagers only

and it po'd me.

True, but many of us on soc security and pensions have to supplement that with other small jobs. My husband takes on writing jobs even though he is technically retired. Those jobs are vital to our well being, as they pay for all of the sudden bills that we don't budget for. Like the 400 dollar red light camera ticket and the blown water heater we ended up with last month...
hmh.gif

Will those jobs dry up, now that film and TV production has shut down here in LA?
undecided20.gif

This staying at home business is more expensive than I thought it would be. We have been endlessly ordering online to try and get supplies we take for granted---T Paper, Vit C, flour... We ordered some movies on Demand, which we never do, and bought a lot of bulk supplies at Walmart, which we rarely do.

I do feel a bit anxious about the future...
I know - it's a very scary unknown.

I have to supplement my retirement benefits too and do so by subbing. Those jobs are not available now, since all the teachers are working from home. And this seems likely to continue through a good part of the rest of the school year, if not all of it.

WASHINGTON

Boeing worker at Everett plant dies from coronavirus infection | The Seattle Times Boeing worker at Everett plant dies from coronavirus infection

Dr Kevin Purcell on Twitter

“Some workers who fear for themselves or loved ones have chosen to stay home without pay. Others have stayed on the job because they depend on the paycheck, and for that reason the union has refrained from calling for a shutdown.”

Some UAW plants are resisting a shutdown because it would be considered a “temporary shutdown” not a “layoff” of workers.
layoff = unemployment benefits
temporary shutdown - no unemployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members